Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: RDO pics!

mtbr member

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by cadavis66 View Post
    Hey there,

I am a new owner of a Niner Jet9 RDO carbon frame. The white part of the frame is perfect. However, the black part of the frame shows the carbon layup. The black paint does not cover the carbon imperfections very well.

I am new to carbon bikes but I just don't remember ever seeing such clear cloudy marks on a new frame before.

Is this normal?? Anyone have an RDO that can tell me.

The pictures I see on-line are so shiny and my frame simply is not. Note this is just on the black part, the white paint is flawless.

Thanks in advance!!!

A guy who just bought his dream bike and the dream is cloudy and uncertain.
    Quit being so dramatic. THERE IS NO BLACK PAINT ON YOUR BIKE AT ALL NOR WAS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE. The raw carbon layup is what you are supposed to see. With your apparent lack of knowledge about the design of this frame (or cognitive ability for that matter), it pains me greatly that YOU have the distinct pleasure of riding such a nice/expensive machine.

apologies if I have offended your tender self but come on, 5 POSTS ABOUT THE SAME RIDICULOUS "ISSUE". Absurd.

Return the frame, have yourself a good cry and move on with your life. Seriously though, "My dream is cloudy and uncertain"???

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow what rage. I am glad other helpful folks answered my question. If we all had all answers to all questions, then we would not need a forum.

Oh yeah, thanks for insulting my intelligence but your the cook. Clock in and get to work.

By the way, I like paint. I understand you don't like it, that's fine. I think raw suits you. But I think Niner should paint the entire bike or at least state RAW/Color on the website. More information is always best and other than that, the niner website is very informative. They had all the specs I needed to build it up right on the front page. Kudo's for that.

USED2COULD
    Wow what rage. I am glad other helpful folks answered my question. If we all had all answers to all questions, then we would not need a forum.

Oh yeah, thanks for insulting my intelligence but your the cook. Clock in and get to work.

By the way, I like paint. I understand you don't like it, that's fine. I think raw suits you. But I think Niner should paint the entire bike or at least state RAW/Color on the website. More information is always best and other than that, the niner website is very informative. They had all the specs I needed to build it up right on the front page. Kudo's for that.
    You were concerned granted, but you posted the same gripe in too many threads and you know it.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Keep the pics coming. Especially love the clearcoat frames. Paint is so heavy!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

XL White RDO

This is my XL JET9 RDO.

Here are some stats:

Me: 6'4" 36 inch inseam. XL is fine, L would of worked also. Note how little seat post I needed. However, l like to be stretched and not eat my knees. To me this frame feels tall in the seat post but short in the top tube.

Bike: Frame from dealer, bare bones. All parts from Amazon.com. Love amazon. Saved about 1.2K off MSRP, never left the house.

Bike is XO set-up (red of course). The XX crank was such a steal I could not pay 100 more for the XO crank, so I broke group and went XX on the crank. Note: I bought 850 mm cables front and 1600 mm back. The length was perfect for XL and 120 mm. Just to let you know.

Fox Float 120 fork. Makes the bike even taller. Buy I like the upright seating position for my back.

Crank Bro's wheels and pedals. I might not be used to the pedals but right now, I miss my SPD's. The pedals dont have any adjustable tension like my old ones. I like it tight.

Wheel set is sexy! Way sexy. But I would never say they are light or a good value. Nope, not gonna say that, just very good looking. They ride well for my size.

Tires are maxxis. I like them. expensive but I would buy them again.

Seat post was a steal on amazon so I bought it. But it does not fit the bike. Strongly consider a gloss black seat post. I will probably junk this one and go for something black and maybe back angled to give me more top tube.

I put a water bottle in the picture so you could see sizing. On an XL frame, 24 oz fits tight. Just to let you know.

The frame is shinny. It did not come that way. I waxed it. UV rays are bad for carbon frames and just about anything else. Paint protects. I would of preferred a fully painted frame for looks and UV protection. Weight is no concern, I am a heavy person.

Riding crits:

Climbing: Not sure, I don't climb well so this bike wont help me. Still need the gondola to take me up.

Decent: Wow, such a long wheel base, I feel like I can fly downhill and never feel an endo coming.

Shocks: It is buttery smooth. A little bio pacing. I don't see any edge over pedal pogo on this frame or any others. I am now a big fan of Kashima Coating. Love it.

Hardpack: Might as well be riding a road bike. I am fast on this 29 er get out of my way.

Switchbacks: More than impressed. Very stiff. This is a big bike and I am sitting tall, not like a racer. However, I can feel in complete control and love hitting the s curves as fast as I can.

Trailhead: Yep, this bike is the best at the trailhead. It turns heads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RDO pics!-2.jpg  

RDO pics!-untitled.jpg  

RDO pics!-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome bike, pics, and writeup.

Makes me think a side -loading cage would be a good idea. Especially on a large frame.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using TapaTalk.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by newto29r View Post
    This is my XL JET9 RDO.

Here are some stats:

Me: 6'4" 36 inch inseam. XL is fine, L would of worked also. Note how little seat post I needed. However, l like to be stretched and not eat my knees. To me this frame feels tall in the seat post but short in the top tube.

Bike: Frame from dealer, bare bones. All parts from Amazon.com. Love amazon. Saved about 1.2K off MSRP, never left the house.

Bike is XO set-up (red of course). The XX crank was such a steal I could not pay 100 more for the XO crank, so I broke group and went XX on the crank. Note: I bought 850 mm cables front and 1600 mm back. The length was perfect for XL and 120 mm. Just to let you know.

Fox Float 120 fork. Makes the bike even taller. Buy I like the upright seating position for my back.

Crank Bro's wheels and pedals. I might not be used to the pedals but right now, I miss my SPD's. The pedals dont have any adjustable tension like my old ones. I like it tight.

Wheel set is sexy! Way sexy. But I would never say they are light or a good value. Nope, not gonna say that, just very good looking. They ride well for my size.

Tires are maxxis. I like them. expensive but I would buy them again.

Seat post was a steal on amazon so I bought it. But it does not fit the bike. Strongly consider a gloss black seat post. I will probably junk this one and go for something black and maybe back angled to give me more top tube.

I put a water bottle in the picture so you could see sizing. On an XL frame, 24 oz fits tight. Just to let you know.

The frame is shinny. It did not come that way. I waxed it. UV rays are bad for carbon frames and just about anything else. Paint protects. I would of preferred a fully painted frame for looks and UV protection. Weight is no concern, I am a heavy person.

Riding crits:

Climbing: Not sure, I don't climb well so this bike wont help me. Still need the gondola to take me up.

Decent: Wow, such a long wheel base, I feel like I can fly downhill and never feel an endo coming.

Shocks: It is buttery smooth. A little bio pacing. I don't see any edge over pedal pogo on this frame or any others. I am now a big fan of Kashima Coating. Love it.

Hardpack: Might as well be riding a road bike. I am fast on this 29 er get out of my way.

Switchbacks: More than impressed. Very stiff. This is a big bike and I am sitting tall, not like a racer. However, I can feel in complete control and love hitting the s curves as fast as I can.

Trailhead: Yep, this bike is the best at the trailhead. It turns heads.
    That's a crazy sexy bike!
    I don't want to jack this thread to a pedal discussion as that's tantamount to bringing up politics or religion. However, the crank brothers pedals may take a small adjustment period. A benefit to the design is that you can pull on them as hard as you like in the pedalling plane and they won't pop out. So no need to vary the tension, geometry steps in and takes over. Try switching the clear from left to right shoe to see if changing the release angle helps.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    That's a crazy sexy bike!
    I don't want to jack this thread to a pedal discussion as that's tantamount to bringing up politics or religion. However, the crank brothers pedals may take a small adjustment period. A benefit to the design is that you can pull on them as hard as you like in the pedalling plane and they won't pop out. So no need to vary the tension, geometry steps in and takes over. Try switching the clear from left to right shoe to see if changing the release angle helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will search some pedal forums for cleat adjustment. I pop out under high upward load, using hamstrings, so I probably just don't have the cleats perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Fresh before it gets dirty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RDO pics!-front.jpg  

RDO pics!-side.jpg  

RDO pics!-rear.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes that is 1 nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm weight

are the wheels carbon,

How much does that fine steed weight without pedals?

mtbr member
    Suh-Weet! Is that a medium?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by velocanman View Post
    Suh-Weet! Is that a medium?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by bimco View Post
    are the wheels carbon,

How much does that fine steed weight without pedals?
    Wheels are carbon. No idea on the weight. Don't have an accurate scale and my bathroom scale needs a new battery.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... New RDO here, finally !! + first impressions

Huh, finally managed to gather all the bits and pieces, clean up the basement and hit the trails. Almost 3 months in the works the RDO got the final paint brush stroke.
    Bike is setup for aggressive XC and light AM.

Highlights:
    RDO Medium frame
    Talas 2012 120/95
    X0 group, love the crank and rear mech
    Mango Chris Kings (my 3'rd set) laced to Arches
    Maxxis Ikons
    Nokons cable housing. Only decent housing tang in color
    RDO setpost .. oops sorry, Syntace P6
    Thomson collar and stem, MonkeyLite low rise handlebar
    Ritchey WCS grips. Ultra light, comfy, take away vibrations, less fatigue
    CB pedals Candy 2, ~300gr, tang of course

Bike came in at 25.3 pounds with 120ml of Stan's each wheel. Very light for an AM 29er.

I actually wanted Ignitors but could not get a pair locally. Ikons are nice and fast but get a bit sketchy in the desert. Most likely will go back to the Ignitors or set an Ardent in the front after the Ikons wear out.
    God, those cute Nokons are a major PITA to setup. I hope they are worth it, I cannot imagine right now the amount of work they will need for maintenance. The PF30 BB needs care and affection getting pressed in, heard some bad things happened to the carbon A9 with BB pressed in too high a pressure. Everything else was a breeze to set-up.

The good:
    The bike feels small, it is a good thing for a flickable machine. It has a longer wheel base compared to my medium Niner SIR and medium Lynskey RidgeLine. Cockpit feels small at a level that got me remeasuring the frame making sure there was not a mistake in the labeling. Got used to it quickly and appreciated the added control over technical stuff.
    It is a fast rig, so fast it's scary, Dialed in the suspension at 25% sag and let it roll over my favorite fast track hard pack trail. Feels small but rides big. Longer wheel with a super rigid lateral feel based inspired stability and I could ride faster by a good 4 Km/h in well known corners.
    Talas feels great, not broken in yet, still has plenty of small bump compliance.

The bad:
    Clearing technical rocky sections may have a nasty surprise in store. The bottom linkage compressing under suspension forces gets low. Very low close to the ground. Some sections that I usually clear w/o a hitch with the SIR have scratched the bottom rocker with a small thump. Not something I'd worry too much, yet the very thought that I may hit the rocks with the bottom carbon link is a bit uneasy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RDO pics!-387624_10150465326707871_694782870_8487431_1939631172_n.jpg  

No dear, it is not dangerous ...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronunu View Post
    Huh, finally managed to gather all the bits and pieces, clean up the basement and hit the trails. Almost 3 months in the works the RDO got the final paint brush stroke.
    Bike is setup for aggressive XC and light AM.

Highlights:
    RDO Medium frame
    Talas 2012 120/95
    X0 group, love the crank and rear mech
    Mango Chris Kings (my 3'rd set) laced to Arches
    Maxxis Ikons
    Nokons cable housing. Only decent housing tang in color
    RDO setpost .. oops sorry, Syntace P6
    Thomson collar and stem, MonkeyLite low rise handlebar
    Ritchey WCS grips. Ultra light, comfy, take away vibrations, less fatigue
    CB pedals Candy 2, ~300gr, tang of course

Bike came in at 25.3 pounds with 120ml of Stan's each wheel. Very light for an AM 29er.

I actually wanted Ignitors but could not get a pair locally. Ikons are nice and fast but get a bit sketchy in the desert. Most likely will go back to the Ignitors or set an Ardent in the front after the Ikons wear out.
    God, those cute Nokons are a major PITA to setup. I hope they are worth it, I cannot imagine right now the amount of work they will need for maintenance. The PF30 BB needs care and affection getting pressed in, heard some bad things happened to the carbon A9 with BB pressed in too high a pressure. Everything else was a breeze to set-up.

The good:
    The bike feels small, it is a good thing for a flickable machine. It has a longer wheel base compared to my medium Niner SIR and medium Lynskey RidgeLine. Cockpit feels small at a level that got me remeasuring the frame making sure there was not a mistake in the labeling. Got used to it quickly and appreciated the added control over technical stuff.
    It is a fast rig, so fast it's scary, Dialed in the suspension at 25% sag and let it roll over my favorite fast track hard pack trail. Feels small but rides big. Longer wheel with a super rigid lateral feel based inspired stability and I could ride faster by a good 4 Km/h in well known corners.
    Talas feels great, not broken in yet, still has plenty of small bump compliance.

The bad:
    Clearing technical rocky sections may have a nasty surprise in store. The bottom linkage compressing under suspension forces gets low. Very low close to the ground. Some sections that I usually clear w/o a hitch with the SIR have scratched the bottom rocker with a small thump. Not something I'd worry too much, yet the very thought that I may hit the rocks with the bottom carbon link is a bit uneasy.
    Nice bike.

I'm liking mine.

FYI if you take photo's of your bike just on dark the Tang will look alot more in the photo like it does in real life

I'm a fan of Ignitors & Ardent 2.4 as well.

For fast loose over hard pack I have found my RDO much faster with 2.1 Ignitor on the rear & 2.4 Ardent on the front than with my Ikon's F & R

If you are hitting the bottom link maybe putting the 2.4 Ardent up front now will just lift it a little & help.

mtbr member
    The photo was taken with a smutphone with too much to ask for the white balance, thankful that it's sharp ...
    The low bottom bracket means definitely to go with 120mm up front, maybe adding a bit more pressure in the rear shock + beefy large volume tires will do the trick.
    It's just pisses me off all over, again and again ... the thought of adding so much weight and rotational mass "just" for getting a good grip.
    No dear, it is not dangerous ...

mtbr member
    Page 4 has some really nice pics of all 3 colors.

I'm really starting to like this bike... It's a long winter, might have to build one.

I am a little unsure on sizing, being that it seems that they run smaller than the RIP9.

I'll have to figure that out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmmh View Post
    Fresh before it gets dirty.
    That's so nice it almost brings a tear to my eye. About time to sell my Yeti ASR5 Carbon and get in line for this black beast.

mtbr member

you are officially a moron.

did you seriously just knock me based on my profession?

For your simple mind: I am a Chef on a well known Network and last month alone I netted over 20K. Currently I am developing another show and working hard on my book (which I already have a deal for). That said, being a cook is a very noble profession and I have worked VERY hard and have received much schooling/training to get where I am today. I have much love for cooks, butchers, servers, etc and all my brothers & sisters in the Food Service Industry. I am all for a good back and forth as I am at the core a red blooded male, but to poke fun or belittle a persons professional lively hood is just weak.

so I guess I will wrap up my break and go "clock in".

such a tender fool.

PF
    Last edited by PanFry; 12-16-2011 at 10:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My black RDO under UV light (looks green in person)...

ya...going a little nuts waiting on parts! Hopefully I'll have some skid plates made for this frame sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Same here still waiting on a black RS WC XX. Have the frame since 1 october....

mtbr member
    Hey Bmmh,

How do you like the Revelation Fork? I have been looking at those but keep going with the FOX TALAS. Rock Shox is doing really great work these days and have stepped up their game big time!

Thanks,

PF

COTA member
    I am a Chef on a well known Network and last month alone I netted over 20K.
    Just watched your show. Very entertaining ..

Roble Ali - Chef Roble and Co Season 1 - Bio - Bravo TV Official Site

mtbr member

actually..

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    nope, this is my website:

Recipes, Home Cooking and Decorating — Pauladeen.com

I am definitely a clyde.

PF

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Just Picked up my RDO XL Build

Highlights
    RDO XL Frame
    Talas 2012 120/95
    Complete XTR group
    ZTR / Stan crest wheels - tubeless
    RDO setpost and bars
    Thompson stem
    CB 2ti pedals.

26.2 lbs complete.. Happy as a clam. Weight in a little less than I thought it would. Actual lighter than my old 26" carbon trek - which came in 28 lbs.
    2012 Jet9 RDO

Past
    06 Trek Fuel EX 9.5 - RIP
    Cannondale Hardtail

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast