I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009

RDO bottom bracket??

Has anyone found ANY information on Niners website about the BB? I have a shimano crankset and it doesnt fit. Neither my dealer, nor the closest other Niner dealer had any info. They were both in shock when the standard BB didnt fit and neither did the A9C bottom bracket. SO my question is, what exactly do you use? Is it just the Sram pfbb30 to BSA adapter or do you have to use the Wheels attachments along with it? Do I also need niners CYA cups? I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    The SRAM press fit pfbb30 presses right in. I don't have a great picture but it can sort of be seen in these: 2011 Niner Jet 9*RDO - Photos - Home

Not sure what you need for Shimano. Try emailing 9er service@ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

PF30 to BSA adapter

The best option is the Sram PF30 to BSA adapter. You thread your BB cups into the adapter then press it into the frame. I use it on mine. There are other ways as well. I believe that Race Face is making a PF30 BB for use with a 24mm spindle crank like Shimano and Race Face use.

Enjoy!
    Brian
    ---------------------------------

COTA member
    Jet 9 RDO Requires a PF30 compatible BB and crankset..

Truvativ PressFit 30 BB | SRAM

Truvativ Pressfit 30 | Technology

Agree call or email Niner to see if it possible to use a non PF30 crankset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseman View Post
    Neither my dealer, nor the closest other Niner dealer had any info. They were both in shock when the standard BB didnt fit and neither did the A9C bottom bracket.
    This seems really lame. Don't these guys know what they are selling?

I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009
    May be a dumb question but... How do you remove the back plate on the shimano E type FD?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks, Brian. How did you stabilize the adapter inserts to allow you to torque the shimano BB cups to the required 35-50 NM before everything was pressed into the frame?
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseman View Post
    May be a dumb question but... How do you remove the back plate on the shimano E type FD?
    You don't remove all of it. Just from the two Allen bolts down (ie the hoop).
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Sram DH crankset

I ordered a Jet 9 RDO (PF30 bb) and want to put the Sram DH crankset on and run a 1x10. I have asked some of the local bike mechanics and no one seems to be to sure what I need to make that work correctly. I have heard that the "problem solvers" adaptors will work, then I heard they won't work? Will this crank set work and if so what adaptors and bb will make it work? I guess press fit is not real common knowledge yet around here for mtb. Thanks.

COTA member
    I think the best option for 1x10 is to run an SRAM X7, X9, or X0 crank set (PF30/BB30) with the HBC spider-less chain ring..

Spiderless crank options for 1x9 XC

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

RDO bottom bracket

Dryside, I thought about that after the last time I read this thread but a mechanic at a local shop thought the XO DH crank would be stiffer so they ordered it for me. I can send it back but would like to make it work if possible. I was just looking on competative cyclist and it shows you can build an RDO with a XO DH crank and some adaptors. What would be the advantage of the HBC spiderless setup over the Sram XO DH crank?
    Last edited by celticsfan; 02-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.

COTA member
    Weight savings and simplicity would be the advantage. I will be running the X0 crank with the HBC spider-less in a 1 x 10 setup. Slightly over a 1/2 # saving over a X0 2x10 setup.

29ers Only.
    There are two general approaches to using a non-bb30 crankset in a PF 30 bike.

You can use an adapter for the smaller spindle. Problem Solvers make a set that is pretty slick, the plastic adapters fit inside the large PF30 bearings and your smaller crank spindle slides through. The problem with this is the GIGAPIPE system. Sram GXP spindles are different from Shimano, Race Face and FSA and they don't work with the standard Problem Solvers kit.

The second way is to us an adapter for the bottom bracket shell. The threaded SRAM adapter is light and easy, you can thread a GIGAPIPE or other external bb unit into the adapter halves and press them into the frame. This system works equally well for any kind of crankset including Truvativ/Sram GXP.

I have used both adapters and they are both quite easy to set up and they work well, but if you want to use a SRAM crankset you will need to go with Option 2.

Jordan
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 02-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

RDO bottom bracket

Is the Wheels Manufacturing one different from the Problem Solvers one. When they ordered the Sram DH crank for me, they also ordered the problem solvers kit that looks like the same reducers as the wheels manufacturing one and then they also ordered another problem solvers gxp adaptor. So, I have a the Sram Pressfit 30 BB, and 2 different problem solvers. Should I take them back and get the wheels manufacturing adaptor?

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by celticsfan View Post
    Is the Wheels Manufacturing one different from the Problem Solvers one. When they ordered the Sram DH crank for me, they also ordered the problem solvers kit that looks like the same reducers as the wheels manufacturing one and then they also ordered another problem solvers gxp adaptor. So, I have a the Sram Pressfit 30 BB, and 2 different problem solvers. Should I take them back and get the wheels manufacturing adaptor?
    Anything that is compatible with the GXP (sram) spindle is fine. I know Problem Solvers was working on a GXP version, maybe that's what you are getting.

But yeah, two sets will be more than you need. Might be good to keep them though just in case you switch to another crankset.

Jordan

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    BB30 BB's are notorious to having longevity problems.

COTA member
    I have only heard of problems of BB30 BB with ceramic bearings.

lamer
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured it was better than making a new one about the same topic.

I want to re-use my Shimano Hollowtech II crank on the new RDO I'll be building, but I can't decide which option to go with:

1. PF30 BB + 24mm spindle adapters
    2. PF30-to-BSA adapter
    3. Race Face PFBB30 adapter

Since I've read about so many problems with PF30 BBs like creaking and rusting I'm a little scared to go with a PF30 + 24mm adatper like http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom...-30-shims.html

The PF30-to-BSA adapter seems like a safe option. This will allow me to use my old Shimano BB that's still pretty new.

The Race Face PFBB30 adapter (http://raceface.com/components/botto...-type-adapter/) looks like an interesting compromise. The only problem is I can't find it for sale anywhere in the US.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think you have heard about issues with bb30. Pf30 is a totally different thing. I use the pf30 to bsa because it keeps shimano parts with shimano cranks. If i were using race face cranks then the rf bb would be the best choice. I do love how adaptable pf30 is :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How bout when running Rotor 3D+ MTB cranks