Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

RDO 2 Different Headtubes

This probably has been covered before but we took my wife's new rdo frame to have the Chris King type 2 headset at the shop that ordered the frame for us and it did not fit. We posted up here and got mixed responses about CK compatibility and now I know why.

There are 2012 rdo's are available with 2 different headtubes, one mold, older I believe, takes the Cane Creek - smaller dia, shallow beveled indentation. The other headtube is compatible with the King headset - larger dia, deeper inset with straight walls. Good grief. I am hopeful that Niner will swap this out for other frame.

The end of year prices are great as is the RDO. Just be aware of the 2012 headtude differences if you want to use a King headset. I am probably the only one on this forum who didn't know but I thought I would pass it along as an fyi. No concerns with the 13's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yup. I thought the frames included headsets. Then mine showed up with no headset. It's the older 2012 that uses the Cane Creek Zero Stack. Lucky for me my LBS had the right ZS-3 in stock.

mtbr member
    Part of the problem is dealers referring to Niner's bikes as being a "year" model. They don't make them by year, they make versions and update them when they feel necessary. This is moot for the OP, but if you're going to buy a Niner bike, best to find out what "version" rather than "year" then look up the specs in Niner's encyclopedia.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Part of the problem is not knowing what version you are getting until the box shows up and you take a look inside. Even when ordered thru a reputable dealer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Part of the problem is not knowing what version you are getting until the box shows up and you take a look inside. Even when ordered thru a reputable dealer.
    Hah. There's that too. I must have asked 5 times what version I was getting, ne'er to get a straight answer.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Yup. I thought the frames included headsets. Then mine showed up with no headset. It's the older 2012 that uses the Cane Creek Zero Stack. Lucky for me my LBS had the right ZS-3 in stock.
    Interesting! My frame included the headset.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Interesting! My frame included the headset.
    That's because yours is the late 2012 and mine is the earlier and much better looking early 2012 version.

mtbr member
    That's because yours is the late 2012 and mine is the earlier and much better looking early 2012 version.
    Good one!!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The bike did come with a Cane Creek Headset and we were surprised. We should have realized from the mixed responses that something was up. If Niner has a 2012 blk/white j9 rdo with the other (44mm?) headtube we'll swap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Hah. There's that too. I must have asked 5 times what version I was getting, ne'er to get a straight answer.

We asked the LBS if the king headset would work and they said yes so the assumption would be that they specified the correct version when ordering from Niner - though we didn't realize that at the time. The bike industry is always interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was one of the people who said, "Sure go for it - can't see why it wouldn't fit." My apologies. The headset fits in my frame (which I now know is a first generation RDO thanks to your post.) Had no idea they'd changed the headtube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I was one of the people who said, "Sure go for it - can't see why it wouldn't fit." My apologies. The headset fits in my frame (which I now know is a first generation RDO thanks to your post.) Had no idea they'd changed the headtube.
    Well, you were correct - works perfect if you have the right version! I left a msg with Niner and judging by what they have done to correct other issues, I'm not worried. I don't see why they wouldn't swap it if they have the other version available.

If not - the rdo is fun to ride with or without a king headset!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just found out that Niner is sending the version that accepts the CK headset. Thanks Niner.

BTW- The 2012 rdo's are on sale for $1599 - this is a great price, even lower than a month ago. Damn. We demoed many 29r frames and the Jet 9 RDO was tops, at this price its unbeatable. I am eyeballing the charge card...don't do it, don't do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Where are RDO frames going for $1599? on CC, still at >$2k and the regular Jet 9 is about $1599. Please let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN DEW View Post
    Where are RDO frames going for $1599? on CC, still at >$2k and the regular Jet 9 is about $1599. Please let me know. Thanks!
    I don't know about 1599 but bikebling has em for 1649.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN DEW View Post
    I got the email from Outside Outfitters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the feedback...I will check out both OO and BB!
    dew

mtbr member
    I got mine a week ago from Competitive Cyclist and it included both the headset and YAWYD top cap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    I got mine a week ago from Competitive Cyclist and it included both the headset and YAWYD top cap
    Pfft. That's CC for ya. So awesome.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Niner returned my call and they will bring up this topic in the next meeting to make sure dealers and the consumers are better informed about the headtube version change from the King to Cane Creek. Looks like King does not trust mfg's to get the tolerances correct and will offer zero stack only. Niner has gone all integrated. I like King but with a bike that rides this good it won't be a deal breaker.

Thanks to all for decreasing the confusion for new Ninerds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Pfft. That's CC for ya. So awesome.
    Best Customer Service I have ever come across with

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like I am playing the headset lottery. New Jet 9 RDO is on the UPS truck and naturally I was so excited by the close out prices I didn't research every last detail. I'm hoping for V1.1 with the Cane Creek to match the Air9 already in the stable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Rdo version control

My new frame just showed up (ordered from Wrench Science last week - they had the best price until OO and CC showed up this week). I ordered a nice red king headset to add some flair and whaddya know - shows up w niner/cane creek headset. Well, at least i can save 150$ on my build. //hemorrhaging money...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmares View Post
    My new frame just showed up (ordered from Wrench Science last week - they had the best price until OO and CC showed up this week). I ordered a nice red king headset to add some flair and whaddya know - shows up w niner/cane creek headset. Well, at least i can save 150$ on my build. //hemorrhaging money...
    Ah, more money to upgrade elsewhere - the latest prices are incredible for a carbon bike that rides this good.

Enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Ah, more money to upgrade elsewhere - the latest prices are incredible for a carbon bike that rides this good.

Enjoy the build!
    Thanks! This is my first build completely on my own. I have always shopped/bought local, but I moved and dont have a good shop, and my old shop just couldnt help (high end roadie/track store.)

At first i felt kind of bad getting everything on sale from ebay and online stores... Then it all arrived, and Im getting a badass super trick machine for waaaay under msrp. And Im building it up, so i had an excuse to buy cool tools to complete the shop.

Pics will be forthcoming in the next week. Building on the 26th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast