Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mi nombre es Austin
    Reputation: nitropiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    228

    Listen! R.I.P. Vs. W.F.O. Aggressive All-Mountain frame?

    The title says pretty much all of it

    I'm an aggressive rider who rides nothing but rocky, rooty off camber trails that cause the words "Rock garden" and "steep descent" to always go hand in hand. I consistently do drops that are about 3-5 ft (sometimes to flat) every time I go ride. With all the steep rocky descents in my area relatively harsh, low traction climbs are frequent. weight isn't an issue as long as it stays under 33lbs. My inseam is roughly 34 in. and I want a bike that will continue to deliver for quite a long time. Lets see what yall can do for me. should it be 4.5in or 5.5in?
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropiro
    The title says pretty much all of it

    I'm an aggressive rider who rides nothing but rocky, rooty off camber trails that cause the words "Rock garden" and "steep descent" to always go hand in hand. I consistently do drops that are about 3-5 ft (sometimes to flat) every time I go ride. With all the steep rocky descents in my area relatively harsh, low traction climbs are frequent. weight isn't an issue as long as it stays under 33lbs. My inseam is roughly 34 in. and I want a bike that will continue to deliver for quite a long time. Lets see what yall can do for me. should it be 4.5in or 5.5in?
    Go with the WFO & then you will always know you have the bike for the job.

    The Rip9 is a great bike but if you are doing the bigger drops the extra inch would be nice to have.

    The WFO party pack means it will be the cheaper option as well,Put the money you save into lighter parts to get it under 33 lb

  3. #3
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    Go with the WFO & then you will always know you have the bike for the job.

    The Rip9 is a great bike but if you are doing the bigger drops the extra inch would be nice to have.

    The WFO party pack means it will be the cheaper option as well,Put the money you save into lighter parts to get it under 33 lb
    I agree, WFO for that type of stuff. If you had a mix of that and some more XC oriented stuff then it would be a tougher choice but if it's almost all techy/rocky stuff and moderate drops then WFO for sure. Party Pack deal ends tomorrow though, jump on it quick if you're thinking of that.

    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  4. #4
    Mi nombre es Austin
    Reputation: nitropiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    228
    generally what kind of drops can the R.I.P. handle without harsh bottom out or severe impact.
    I know this question is very subjective so some of you RIP owners could maybe specify weather they are light weights or Clydes and what they think about different height drops aboard their RIP.

    Just as well if you ride or have ridden a W.F.O. speak up about your thoughts on moderate drops and how the bike feels.

    Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in your riding experiences.
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

  5. #5
    GoCyco
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    269
    I had 2 RIPs - 2007 (cracked seat tube), and a 2008. I sold the 2008 RIP after one yr and bought the WFO. I had the RIP at 29lbs. The WFO is 32lbs with X9, Thomson, Hammerschmit, and I-9s/Flows/2.2 Nevegals. The WFO is a great handling bike and is far stiffer than the RIP (but I never rode the "new" RIP frame). It bombs thru rocks gardens, I don't hit huge jumps, maybe an occational 3 ft-er. Bottom line - solid ride. Climbs great too, especial technical stuff.

    If you do go RIP, put the 140mm Bomber on it.

  6. #6
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropiro
    generally what kind of drops can the R.I.P. handle without harsh bottom out or severe impact.
    I know this question is very subjective so some of you RIP owners could maybe specify weather they are light weights or Clydes and what they think about different height drops aboard their RIP.

    Just as well if you ride or have ridden a W.F.O. speak up about your thoughts on moderate drops and how the bike feels.

    Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in your riding experiences.
    As you well know this question is not 1 that can really get a answer,There is just to many factors to come into it.

    However you know that so here is how I would choose the bike.

    I'm 177 lb & never been a big fan of big air, My 09 Rip9 lands from 3 footers at med to high speed like the bike never left the ground (Ok guys tell me at 3 ft it was still on the ground ) & I'm sure doing lots of 5 footers at low speed would be fine on the Rip9 but you would need alot more air pressure in the shocks to soak it up & there for getting it right for the drops but taking the bike from being plush to a much harder riding bike.

    My thoughts only, but if my riding had lots of 4 ft + jumps/ drops (most rides ) I would go with the WFO not because it was stronger or because the 09 Rip9 couldn't handle it but because the WFO has approx 20% more rear travel so you could set it up to handle all the drops &still have a plush ride on the smaller bumps.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    The WFO is a great handling bike and is far stiffer than the RIP (but I never rode the "new" RIP frame). It bombs thru rocks gardens, I don't hit huge jumps, maybe an occational 3 ft-er. Bottom line - solid ride. Climbs great too, especial technical stuff.

    If you do go RIP, put the 140mm Bomber on it.

    The new RIP9 and WFO9 are comparable in stiffness with the new massive hydroformed top tubes, down tubes, and tapered head tube. The only shared part of the old RIP9 and new RIP9 is the name and seat tube - everything else is got the hydroform treatment just like the WFO9.

    If you are doing 5' drops and riding mostly rough gnarly chunky stuff I'd go WFO9 in a heartbeat. The big advantage is ability to run piggy-back style shocks and coils if you want. I've sold WFO9's to guys running Vivid's and Cane Creek Double Barrels and hear they are pretty amazing. Steve is running a Dorado on his with a vivid and does DH runs at Keystone Mountain Resort and hitting all the big drops and DH gaps no problem.

    Here is mine set up with a 140mm bomber - it's going to ride more all mountain/trail bike-ish but still pedals really well and weights 29.5 pounds as pictured. But I'm not doing anything bigger than 2-3' around here.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes
    (whoops posted under my wife's account)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P. Vs. W.F.O. Aggressive All-Mountain frame?-rip9xltang.jpg  


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30

    Wouldn't even consider a RIP9.

    With your description of what/how you ride I can't even imagine you'd consider the RIP9 If I had that sort of riding (and nads to do it) I'd definitely be looking at something built to take that sort of riding, something with 5" travel at least and just North of 30lbs. In browsing over this and the 29er forum I've read of quite a few WFO9s built under 32lbs in L and XL sizes. The mention of being able to run piggy-back shocks is very relative to the riding you do and tuning the bike to be exactly what you want and take the abuse, also the 150mm Maxle rear tri option.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitropiro
    The title says pretty much all of it

    I'm an aggressive rider who rides nothing but rocky, rooty off camber trails that cause the words "Rock garden" and "steep descent" to always go hand in hand. I consistently do drops that are about 3-5 ft (sometimes to flat) every time I go ride. With all the steep rocky descents in my area relatively harsh, low traction climbs are frequent. weight isn't an issue as long as it stays under 33lbs. My inseam is roughly 34 in. and I want a bike that will continue to deliver for quite a long time. Lets see what yall can do for me. should it be 4.5in or 5.5in?

  9. #9
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by GSR101
    Here is mine set up with a 140mm bomber - it's going to ride more all mountain/trail bike-ish but still pedals really well and weights 29.5 pounds as pictured. But I'm not doing anything bigger than 2-3' around here.
    Nice pedals.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: motobutane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,231
    WFO for sure,sounds like you like the Tech-Nar-Nar!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    998
    get the air9 carbon.

    much lighter to carry home after a bad crash. especially in combination with the carbon fork and SS setup.

  12. #12
    Mi nombre es Austin
    Reputation: nitropiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    228
    I think that I have changed my mind I'm gonna get the Air9 single speed 15in frame, throw on some BMX bars and a gyro plate, 165mm cranks and pegs> Yes, One sick dirtjump bike!!

    No but seriously thanks everybody for the help and it is really cool to have a Niner bikes representative reinforce what the more knowledgeable members have already said, thanks all and has anybody seen a 2010 Trek Remedy in 21.5in frame size? it looks downright goofy! Hence the 29er, I can't wait till Fox or Rockshx makes a longer travel 29in fork, Thanks again all
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

  13. #13
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,647
    I'm still waiting on them thar geniuses to figure out that there's a market for it and do a decent Adjustable travel fork with say 100-140 travel Oh man would that ever be sweet on a RIP9 or any other 4-5" bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitropiro
    ............
    No but seriously thanks everybody for the help and it is really cool to have a Niner bikes representative reinforce what the more knowledgeable members have already said, thanks all and has anybody seen a 2010 Trek Remedy in 21.5in frame size? it looks downright goofy! Hence the 29er, I can't wait till Fox or Rockshx makes a longer travel 29in fork, Thanks again all
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    what the marz 44 is not adjustable? i thought it was?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •