mtbr member
    Jun 2008

quick jet FD setup question

Hi All - I'm a little confused by my choices of FD's. The Niner website recommends a high clamp, bottom pull, 34.9 clamp FD .

Can anyone tell me if they have tried low clamp FDs (they look like they should fit) and/or which FDs they use (I'm using Shimano 9sp on the rest of the drivetrain). Thanks.

Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcrawford
    Hi All - I'm a little confused by my choices of FD's. The Niner website recommends a high clamp, bottom pull, 34.9 clamp FD .

Can anyone tell me if they have tried low clamp FDs (they look like they should fit) and/or which FDs they use (I'm using Shimano 9sp on the rest of the drivetrain). Thanks.

Chris
    I had a Shimano FD-M971 on there and it worked great until I thought I need to have XX. Now the 971 sits in the drawer. FD-M771 should work just as well. I've never tried the low clamp.

Just curious why you would want a low clamp. Maybe just because it is what you have in the drawer?

On the 2009 recalled Jet I initially had a SRAM High clamp and it did not have enough clearance as the rear suspension went through it's full range of motion. Something I didn't see in the stand but it ended up wearing a groove in one of the rear suspension braces. That brace never failed but what it taught me is to follow their recommendations if possible, which in '09 was an XT or XTR 70 Series and not SRAM. In my case the little slip of paper with the Shimano recommendation got "lost" so I didn't know. Guess that is why you are asking though.