Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168

    New question here. Question: RIP RDO vs Jet 9 RDO

    Question regarding RIP RDO vs Jet 9 RDO. I currently have the Jet9 RDO carbon and am thinking of selling the frame and fork for the RIP. What is the weight difference and will I notice a disadvantage in climbing ability? I miss my 140mm suspension of my previous bike however, I LOVE the climbing ability of my Jet9
    Kelli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question: RIP RDO vs Jet 9 RDO-4413.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: five5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    414

    Question: RIP RDO vs Jet 9 RDO

    I think it will be exactly what you'd expect. Tad heavier, tad tougher on the climb, and can take a rougher go downhill.

    Muzzanic has a good thread with some comparables, check that out.

    If Muzz replies here, lets make it a little more objective.

    Scale 1-10, 10 being best!

    Climbing -
    Decending -
    Weight -
    Handling -
    Overall -

    I know it doesn't make sense on the weight one, but I think it does! Weight is relative sometimes.. People focus too much on the number. How does the weight feel when you ride it? Being they are different bikes, for different riding, is the weight appropriate for its purpose?

    What do ya think?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Looks like the RIP frame weight is 6.45 lbs as opposed to the 5lbs of the Jet 9 RDO. My bike is currently at 22+ lbs

  4. #4
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Hi
    If you are missing the longer travel you will be surprised how little you will have to give up if you go Rip9 RDO.

    I will sit down late tonight & write more about what I think between the 2.

    One of my friends that I ride with 2 to 3 times a week that has been on a Jet9 RDO for almost a year has decided to go for a Rip9 RDO because he thinks i'm no slower on the climbs.

    His weakness is on the down's so he is hoping to bridge some of the gap I have on him on the down's

    This is not taking a 22lb Jet9 RDO & a 28lb Rip9 RDO, This is if they were all built with the same build apart from fork travel.

    Jet9 RDO climbing 10
    Rip9 RDO 9.5
    Jet9 Alloy 8.5
    Rip9 Alloy 7+

    On a long the difference between 7 & 10 is approx. 2 gears.

    Down hill.

    Rip9 RDO 10
    Rip9 Alloy 9
    Jet9 RDO 8.5 to 8.75
    Jet9 6.5 to 7
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

    This is not taking a 22lb Jet9 RDO & a 28lb Rip9 RDO, This is if they were all built with the same build apart from fork travel.

    Jet9 RDO climbing 10
    Rip9 RDO 9.5
    Jet9 Alloy 8.5
    Rip9 Alloy 7+
    Thanks Muzzanic!!!
    So would you say the difference with the same build would be about 2 lbs? (so basically new frame, fork and shock)

    I truly enjoy the climbing of my Jet9, it's fantastic!!! I've actually increased my climbing times from my past 26er 21lbs. Downhills are certainly not as forgiving as the 140mm, and being over 50 I notice it on the longer more technical descents.

    I guess I'm still not sold on the switch, but have not ruled it out for sure

  6. #6
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    For me the switch was only a little over 1 Ib

    I can't really feel the weight difference, I have only ridden my Jet9 RDO once since I got the RIp9 RDO & that was because someone wanted to ride my Rip9 RDO so I took them both out.

    I think you should put how it climbs out of your mind because it really is very very good & that is not a deal braker .

    I would think more about no bottle cage bolts inside the frame on the small & what fork you would put on it & a little .

    FWIW if I was building a new bike for my wife today it would be the RIP9 RDO, Even though there is no was she could use 1/2 the extra down hill this bike would give her.

    I have watched lots of people on the Alloy Rp9 over the years & it just lifts there ridding so much, Now the Rip9 RDO will do the same but not at the cost of climbing & the bike still keeps most of the Jet9 RDO's snappy ness out of the corners, were as the Alloy rip9 lost a lot of that over the Jet9 Alloy in this feel.

    All that said the Jet9 RDO is still an awesome bike & can be made very fast down hill with bigger tyres, Dropper seat post & things like that.

    The Jet9 RDO back end does buck a bit more off sharp jumps & is not as good in the air & landings as the Rip9 RDO so it has a lot to do with how you like to ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    64
    Thanks Muzz,

    I have a question for you. I just ordered a RIP9 RDO to go with my Jet9 RDO, my question is are you running the RS revelation fork on it; and if so what are your thoughts? I know that you have a Pike on order and I'm considering that as well. I come from a DH back ground and I plan on building the RIP up to be an aggressive all mountain/Enduro machine; and I just wondered if I should plan on upgrading the fork.

  8. #8
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Yes I have a RCT3 140 Revelation fork on my Rip9 RDO & like it a lot, But the Pike is just more like what I have wan'ted for a long time

    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    Thanks Muzz,

    I have a question for you. I just ordered a RIP9 RDO to go with my Jet9 RDO, my question is are you running the RS revelation fork on it; and if so what are your thoughts? I know that you have a Pike on order and I'm considering that as well. I come from a DH back ground and I plan on building the RIP up to be an aggressive all mountain/Enduro machine; and I just wondered if I should plan on upgrading the fork.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    245
    I loved my Jet9RDO and bought it because of Muzz reviews. I was going to buy the Rip 9 RDO because I loved my Rip 9. It was the best bike I had ridden until I got my Jet9 Rdo. I haven't pulled the trigger due to too much cross over and for me honestly the JEt9RDO helps me where I need it (climbs) so I would say if you are a much better climber then the Rip is your kit but if you need help on the ups then go with the Jet. I am sure you will be very happy with either but for me and the guys I ride with we were more accomplished on the dh side so the Jet is perfect (obviously I am guessing since I haven't ridden a Rip9Rdo)

  10. #10
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    I loved my Jet9RDO and bought it because of Muzz reviews. I was going to buy the Rip 9 RDO because I loved my Rip 9. It was the best bike I had ridden until I got my Jet9 Rdo. I haven't pulled the trigger due to too much cross over and for me honestly the JEt9RDO helps me where I need it (climbs) so I would say if you are a much better climber then the Rip is your kit but if you need help on the ups then go with the Jet. I am sure you will be very happy with either but for me and the guys I ride with we were more accomplished on the dh side so the Jet is perfect (obviously I am guessing since I haven't ridden a Rip9Rdo)
    You have pretty much nailed it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Awesome advise everyone! Thank You!
    I would like to sell my Jet9 RDO frame &"fork and pick up a RIP9 RDO frame & Fork

    I heard through the grapevine... Some components are not compatible!
    Such as:
    Bottom Bracket
    Seat Post
    Head set

    Is there anything else???

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Awesome advise everyone! Thank You!
    I would like to sell my Jet9 RDO frame &"fork and pick up a RIP9 RDO frame & Fork

    I heard through the grapevine... Some components are not compatible!
    Such as:
    Bottom Bracket
    Seat Post
    Head set

    Is there anything else???
    rear hub? The Rip 9 RDO is 12x142 (1st gen Jet 9 RDO is 135)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    rear hub? The Rip 9 RDO is 12x142 (1st gen Jet 9 RDO is 135)
    Hi cytoe... I already have a wheelset (shown in my original post in this thread)... I don't think that would apply?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Hi cytoe... I already have a wheelset (shown in my original post in this thread)... I don't think that would apply?
    The Jet9 RDO (v1) used 135 rear spacing. The Rip9 RDO use 12x142 rear spacing. I think Easton has a conversion kit...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Excellent! Thank you Cytoe, I'll look into that!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168

    New question here. Anyone know if it's possible to get a black Float?

    My current bike I run the Float and love it, I would like to continue running the Float on the new RIP however, I want to go with the 140mm. I wonder if Niner or Fax would offer a "black" option for the Float, since white "will not" work with the blue/black RIP theme ( I realize Talas comes in black however, don't like the Talas as much).

    It would suck to have to strip the brand new Float fork and powder coat it, id rather not if i don't have to.

    I assume it's not possible to order a Talas with Float internals??? In a perfect world

  17. #17
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Forget the Fox, Order a Rockshox 35mm Pike in 140mm travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    My current bike I run the Float and love it, I would like to continue running the Float on the new RIP however, I want to go with the 140mm. I wonder if Niner or Fax would offer a "black" option for the Float, since white "will not" work with the blue/black RIP theme ( I realize Talas comes in black however, don't like the Talas as much).

    It would suck to have to strip the brand new Float fork and powder coat it, id rather not if i don't have to.

    I assume it's not possible to order a Talas with Float internals??? In a perfect world

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    161
    You really think the Pike will perform better than the Float or Talas? I'm asking because my Talas has been good to me so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Forget the Fox, Order a Rockshox 35mm Pike in 140mm travel.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Forget the Fox, Order a Rockshox 35mm Pike in 140mm travel.
    Do you happen to know the weight? Can't imagine better than the float!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    141
    Pike 2013:

    MODEL: RCT3
    WHEEL SIZE: 26, 27.5, 29
    WEIGHT*: 26 1835g (4.05 lb), 27.5 1861g (4.10 lb), 29 1876g (4.14 lb)
    TRAVEL: 26/27.5 150mm, 160mm; 29 140mm, 150mm
    STEERER:Tapered only
    AXLE: Maxle Lite 15mm
    ADJUSTMENTS: External rebound, low speed compression, 3-position compression (Open/Pedal/Lock)
    SPRING: Dual Position Air, Solo Air
    CROWN: Forged, hollow 7075 Aluminum
    LOWER LEGS: Magnesium, disc only
    MAXIMUM ROTOR SIZE: 200mm
    COLORS: Black, White
    MSRP: $980-1085 (878-949)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168

    New question here. Why is the Pike better than the Float or Talas?

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Forget the Fox, Order a Rockshox 35mm Pike in 140mm travel.
    Hey Muzzanic... Pike with NO Kashima coating, both seem similar as far as internals , why is it better?
    ... other than it's a tad lighter and it comes in black
    Talas 140 4.6 lbs
    Float 140 4.49 lbs
    Pike 140 4.14 lbs
    Float 130 9.96 lbs (Rally Blue)

    The oh so cool looking Revelation RCT3 in BLUE is only 130mm travel, why didn't they go 140 on that??? Lame

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Hey Muzzanic... Pike with NO Kashima coating, both seem similar as far as internals , why is it better?
    ... other than it's a tad lighter and it comes in black
    Talas 140 4.6 lbs
    Float 140 4.49 lbs
    Pike 140 4.14 lbs
    Float 130 9.96 lbs (Rally Blue)

    The oh so cool looking Revelation RCT3 in BLUE is only 130mm travel, why didn't they go 140 on that??? Lame
    Real low speed compression, bigger stanchions, (probably) a better damper, lower stiction. Kashima is overrated. The Rock Shox forks I've used, all with normal anodized stanchions, were noticeably smoother than the Fox forks I've used. I have a Float 34, and it's not a bad fork, but the Pike seems better in every respect.

  23. #23
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    The Pike is lighter,has 35mm legs not 34 & I have heard very good things about the damper.

    The Pike is ment to ride higher in its travel to.

    My friend has a Fox 34 on his 1st Gen Rip9 ( Talas ) & although its a nice stiff fork, I didn't feel much stiffer than my White brother Loop & don't feel the damper is as nice as My RCT3.

    I'm sure the Float is better than the Talas, But The pike looks like it offers a lot of what I like.

    As for the Blue 130 RCT3, Well 1st up I have tended to swap out forks a lot & the Blue would limit who I could sell it to & wouldn't go with any of my other bikes.

    Until I got the Rip9 RDO, I couldn't see why you would want to put on a 130 fork.

    I was thinking if you aren't putting on a 140mm fork build a Jet9 RDO.

    But then I wasn't thinking the Rip9 RDO would pedal like a fast XC bike.

    Now I think that if I was to race a 6 hour event, a Rip9 RDO with a shorter fork might be my choice over the Jet9 RDO.


    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Hey Muzzanic... Pike with NO Kashima coating, both seem similar as far as internals , why is it better?
    ... other than it's a tad lighter and it comes in black
    Talas 140 4.6 lbs
    Float 140 4.49 lbs
    Pike 140 4.14 lbs
    Float 130 9.96 lbs (Rally Blue)

    The oh so cool looking Revelation RCT3 in BLUE is only 130mm travel, why didn't they go 140 on that??? Lame

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    The oh so cool looking Revelation RCT3 in BLUE is only 130mm travel, why didn't they go 140 on that??? Lame
    Buy the 130MM and change it to 140MM. 10 minute job. Solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kellijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Buy the 130MM and change it to 140MM. 10 minute job. Solved.
    I didnt know you could do that. That would keep the weight down as well I assume

    Also... Someone brought up a good point about resale.... best to go with a black or white that would appeal to more people

Similar Threads

  1. Bottom Braket Question, yet another pf30 vs bb30 question.
    By ntm1973 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
  4. iBis HD owners.. i have a question..(noob question)
    By superunknown222 in forum Ibis
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  5. Forest City Trails Question: Sandusky Question?
    By bycyclist in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •