mtbr member

Question regarding the RIP9 and the new 3x10 speed systems

I just bought a 2010 RIP9 and was considering installing a SRAM X9 3x10 or Shimano XT Dyna-sys 3x10. Anyone read any reviews indicating if these new front derailleurs will be compatible with the 2010 RIP9?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    I just bought a 2010 RIP9 and was considering installing a SRAM X9 3x10 or Shimano XT Dyna-sys 3x10. Anyone read any reviews indicating if these new front derailleurs will be compatible with the 2010 RIP9?
    Hi no reveiws but the Xt 3x10 is good on my 2nd Rip9 & have new X9 front coming today for another bike so will let you know.

The shifting of the New XT is a big step up from the old.

mtbr member
    Cool--thanks!!! I would be quite curious to see if you had a recommendation of the XT versus the SRAM X9. Thanks for the help!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    Cool--thanks!!! I would be quite curious to see if you had a recommendation of the XT versus the SRAM X9. Thanks for the help!!
    I have always been sram over shimano but I have to say the new XT is alot better than I thought it would be I would choose it over 9 speed X0

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Big step up both front and rear?

MUZZ, when you say a big step up can you be a bit more specific. Is it mostly the rear or both front and rear. I am considering using a new 10 sp chain and cassette with the traditional 22/32/ up front until I can afford to get a new pair of cranks if necessary.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzean
    MUZZ, when you say a big step up can you be a bit more specific. Is it mostly the rear or both front and rear. I am considering using a new 10 sp chain and cassette with the traditional 22/32/ up front until I can afford to get a new pair of cranks if necessary.
    Ok the thing I never liked about the old xt & did like about old X9 & X0 it more in the shifters, With the sram when you change gear you could hear the click & feel it as well letting you know that the change was made & in the ruff you could tell it you had hit the trigger twice by mistake & with the old XT it was all a bit ( soft ) for lack of a better word.

All in all the new the new Xt shifts fast & clean & has good feel & better gearing range.

Down side of the XT for me is it has gear shift indicators that take up more handle bar room & with fork pop loc & gravity dropper seat post & narrow bars room gets tight but not a deal braker.