mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! PSA/Spam: WFO protection plates!

After many iterations, I finally got a plate made for the WFO. I'm only offering it in the ultra-duty material. It attaches with 3M VBH tape (supplied).

Here's my updated ad
    Last edited by cytoe; 03-02-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: update classified ad url

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Nice! Just ditched my RIP for a WFO. Any issues with the tape sticking to the anodized finish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Nice! Just ditched my RIP for a WFO. Any issues with the tape sticking to the anodized finish?
    I've only tested on the painted finish, but I really doubt it. The 3M VBH tape is acrylic foam based, so it should conform fine. Worst case, you could add some zip ties...but I doubt it will come to that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nicely done cytoe...excellent craftsmanship from a crafty craftsman!!

FWIW... I bought one for my (now defunct) Jet 9 RDO and now my Tallboy LTc... Both fit like a glove...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What happens when you peel it off after a yr? Does it leave residue?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the compliment. So how do you like your LTc, coming from the Jet9 RDO? I'm considering the LTc and Rip9 RDO...perhaps I'm missing the plusher ride. I can do everything on the Jet9 RDO that I could on the Rip9...but it requires just a little more finesse. Could just be the 120 vs 140 fork...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I haven't tried testing over a year, but I think the tape can be peeled off (with some effort of course). If there's any residue, I think Goo Gone (citris based) would work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. So how do you like your LTc, coming from the Jet9 RDO? I'm considering the LTc and Rip9 RDO...perhaps I'm missing the plusher ride. I can do everything on the Jet9 RDO that I could on the Rip9...but it requires just a little more finesse. Could just be the 120 vs 140 fork...
    I have no problems giving props to something I find well made

The two bikes are pretty different as I'm sure you know and both bikes were set up very trail oriented rather than weight weenied....but in terms of plushness and DH, the LTc hands down...in terms of pedaling and climbing, I'll give a slight edge to the RDO...I left the rear shock open on the RDO and it pedaled awesome, but with the LTc, I can feel a tiny bit of drag as I am not a "sit and stroke" kind of guy but a "off the saddle and pound" type...I need to dial in the shock a bit more but that's my observations so far...I'm not tall at 5'7" so feel plays a factor for me and the "in the bike" feeling was there on the LTc right from the get go vs the "on the bike" feeling of the RDO which *I* felt...RDO is definitely faster and as you said takes more finesse (as I'm coming from a SC Nomad II), but the LTc to me is just more playful and all around fun bike which is what I am ultimately after (I'll take the tiny hit in the climbing if the downhill/very aggressive trail riding gives me a chit eating grin). If there's a downhill, I'm gonna charge it..if theres a drop, I'm gonna take it..if there's a jump, giddy-up...can you do that with the Jet9 RDO?? sure...I did...but I think that's where the Rip9 RDO comes into play. However, since the rear triangle on my old Jet9RDO took a crunch, *I* am not quite yet confident that the new carbon RIP will be as durable just yet but maybe I'm wrong (whereas SC has been playing with carbon a tad bit longer)... I have to say though, the Jet 9RDO takes the cake in the boner department...damn sexy looking bike...

Again, these are just my thoughts...(notice all the I's ?? after all, it's all about me, lol)

FWIW, I was out in your beautiful state in Sept and rented a SB-95 at Golden Bike shop and rode in Breck and lift assist. Vail...that was one damn fun bike...

Keep up the awesome work on those plates man!: thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    The 3M VHB line is tough stuff. I have used it a couple of places on my car, and it's held up to the elements. Sticks to everything. Clean surface preparation is key. And I would simply zip tie it around in a few spots for the first 24 hrs to promote tight adhesion, then I would cut the zip ties off.
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    From experience with the 3M VHB, most likely it will be hard to peel off in terms of separating it from the 2 surfaces, but peels off ok, Leaves no mess behind.

Tame the Penguin!

Product review: A++

Picked up a WFO protection plate from Cytoe and I have to say I'm impressed at the quality, fit, and finish. A friend purchased a protection plate from Cytoe for her RDO and it's saved her frame/linkage numerous times.

I was skeptical the VHB would really hold the plate effectively on the WFO, so I tried yanking the plate off by hand and couldn't get it to budge. The 3M VHB really sticks! It's such a better setup than what I had bolted together on the linkage previously for protection.

I took Cytoe's new WFO protection plate out of for a test run this afternoon through some brutal technical climbing and a high speed descent through wicked, sharp chunk. It took some substantial hits on the way up (full weight of rider & bike compressing plate between rock/tree and frame). The plate stayed attached and barely showed any damage . The plate has a somewhat slick surface to it and I easily slid across obstacles, not getting hung up on them. On the way down, multiple rocks fired off the front tire into the protection plate and simply bounced off. I've dinged downtubes descending this trail in the past....so it's nice to have the WFO's belly and nards protected.

Here is just one of the rocks on this trail that loves eating chain rings, bash guards, and linkages:

before:

after:

Note the impact the Hammerschmidt housing took today while the protection plate barely looks impacted.

I give this product an A++ rating!

--El Beastro

mtbr member
    Gotta love cheap AND effective solutions like this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Allright !!!

You should have just received my order

G

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ordered. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    oooo it's out.. maybe you should PM all WFO's who posted in your Ad and were waiting for these..

Tame the Penguin!
    Love my Nard Guard from Cytoe...works well on my Niner WFO!

mtbr member

PSA/Spam: WFO protection plates!

My buddy had one come off his WFO, and he's yet to get around to emailing you about it. The tape is still on his bike, the plate is god-knows-where. What do you do in these situations? Btw, love my RIP 9 plate. Saved my linkage's bacon may a time.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have your buddy contact me. I'll definitely won't leave him bare.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    My buddy had one come off his WFO, and he's yet to get around to emailing you about it. The tape is still on his bike, the plate is god-knows-where. What do you do in these situations? Btw, love my RIP 9 plate. Saved my linkage's bacon may a time.
    Wow...how on Earth did the plate come loose? Does he wash his bike at the car wash with the power washer?

I've had mine on for a while now and it's been through some knarly terrain. It's not budged a single millimeter.

mtbr member

PSA/Spam: WFO protection plates!

He's not the type to wash his bike. No idea how it came off.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29