mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Popping noise from a jet9 Rdo

Have a popping noise coming from around the bb area or so it sounds like it It just started about a week ago. Changed the chain, cassette, and chain rings. And even swapped out wheels with no solution. Only thing left Is to change cranks and see if my beloved XTR's are the cause.
    Had anyone else had a similar issue

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    Have a popping noise coming from around the bb area or so it sounds like it It just started about a week ago. Changed the chain, cassette, and chain rings. And even swapped out wheels with no solution. Only thing left Is to change cranks and see if my beloved XTR's are the cause.
    Had anyone else had a similar issue
    I hate to state the obvious, but maybe try the BB? That's a common culprit on any bike.

mtbr member

Pull everything apart, clean, re-grease.. Check all bolts, tighten.. You'd be amazed at what noises can happen from un-tightened bolts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Did that. I run a shop. Seeing if anyone had similar issues. I basically rebuilt the whole bottom end.

mtbr member
    Had to tighten my shock bolts from a noise you described.

mtbr member
    Had a similar problem - pop noise, but it also popped out of gear. If the BB is loose or the crank, it will usually cause gears to pop also because of alignment issues.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Same noise coming from my RIP9. It usually happens after a hard effort and I start spinning lighter, it makes a couple of loud popping noises as though something in the suspension is binding and then letting loose. I've already been through the BB, cranks, chainring, rear 142 axle and the pivot bolts (haven't checked the shock bolts, though). The sound is still a problem. Next on the list is checking the cassette and free hub body. The noise is quite annoying as I'm fanatic about a creak-free ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Same problem on my RIP9. So far, I have -- replaced bottom bracket-- then regreased it twice, replaced pedals, tightened drop outs, replaced all pivot bearings twice in less than a year, tightened chainrings, regreased needle bearing on shock. I'm running out of ideas. I'm wondering if it is something in the headset now, but I dunno. I'm going to look over those bearings. It is really getting to be a bother. It is exactly this --"as though something in the suspension is binding and then letting loose". Mine seems to correspond exactly with pedal stroke. But, I did get it to make the sound last ride when I turned the handle bars slightly back and forth while coasting. Please keep posting if you discover what this is. I'm stumped!
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    I'm assuming popping under drive pressures? If so you're on the right track with the above advice.
    I had some intermittent mystery sounds (light knock or heavy click) down yonder that I eventually traced to the DU bushings on the top end of the shock, which I replaced with RWC needle bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep, I have the RWC needle bearing, but I let it get bone dry. I regreased it but it may be shot and causing all of this sound. I'm going to order a new one and see if that is it. Thanks!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Finally tracked my issue down. The popping was coming from the rear, lower linkage bolt (closest to the wheel). It wasn't a bearing issue as the bearings are still perfectly smooth and loaded with grease. This was due to the contacting surfaces of the axle faces and the red aluminum tapered spacers that are in between the bearing and the linkage. These areas were dry as a bone and the surfaces were binding. As soon as I re-greased the axle and all of the aluminum contact areas, the sound was completely gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Glad to know that one

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    Finally tracked my issue down. The popping was coming from the rear, lower linkage bolt (closest to the wheel). It wasn't a bearing issue as the bearings are still perfectly smooth and loaded with grease. This was due to the contacting surfaces of the axle faces and the red aluminum tapered spacers that are in between the bearing and the linkage. These areas were dry as a bone and the surfaces were binding. As soon as I re-greased the axle and all of the aluminum contact areas, the sound was completely gone.
    Thanks qfactor03! Same issue here, with the exception that I didn't have to take apart the linkage or grease the axle of the linkage. I just took a hex tool and made sure the axle could turn freely -- had already torqued to spec and used lock tite on threads when I replaced bearings. That solved it. Hopefully, for a good.

mtbr member
    Similar sounds on my < 1 month old Jet 9 RDO. Tried re-lubing just about everything and finally cured the popping when I pulled and lubed the freehub body/cassette interface.