Thread: Poor mans jet9?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Poor mans jet9?

Right now I have a 2013 SIR9 frame on order, delivery some time in October. I have been talking with some older guys like me in our 50's and they have been trying to talk me into a full suspension. I figure that if I go that route, I might as well go big. I saw that the new jet carbon is the 2012 RDO, but is only available as a full bike. The question i have is the build they are offering, a SLX crankset, shifters, deore brakes and recon shock, is quite basic and not quite what i was going to do so would i be better off getting a 2012 RDO or buying the complete bike and upgrading? What do youmthink of the build? My goal was to buy a frame this fall and build it up over the winter and start riding in the spring. I ride the less technical singletrack and x-country here in the finger lakes of western NY and would like to do some of the endurance races with my kids.

Millman
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

mtbr member
    You're price comparing a complete bike at $3,900 (+ a little more $) or $2,900 frame. That is an apples to oranges comparison and I'm not convinced that price is all that important to you. You're a 50 year old mountain biking dude! I think you know what you want/like to ride. Plus, you mentioned wanting to build a bike. The Jet 9 carbon build kinda stinks. They call it an SLX build kit but it isn't. The fork is not exciting either. Everything else is fine but cranks, fork, etc. really add up and if you aren't stoked to begin with you may not be stoked at the end. Do yourself a favor and buy the bike you really want.

Of course an ala carte build is more expensive than to a package deal but you'll probably be happier. There are all sorts of ways to find deals. You don't have to spend retail on any of the components if you are willing to hunt around. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For non-technical/XC single tracks Get a HT... it will be lighter and cheaper by default.
    The 2012 Alum Hydro Air Frame is the Bomb... The SIR should be great too albeit a bit heavier than the Alum.

I am in my 50s and have both high-end 1x FS and 2x HT 29er bikes and I feel that the FS is too noodely...
    Gave the FS to my wife and she loves it.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

Carbon & Ti rule
    You will love the Carbon Jet9, My Air9 doesn't get ridden much.

How much of a hurry are you in ?

The Jet9 carbon is going to be sold as a frame only, It's only that the 1st ones are bikes only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If I were you, I'd go to ebay and pick up a lightly used Anthem or Jet9.

You'll spend less than half the cost of a Jet9 carbon and have a bike you will enjoy just as much if not more. What's more, you will have it probably six months before the carbon even starts selling. If it turns out that you still want the new Jet, you'll be able to sell whatever you buy for basically what you paid for it.

I can't imagine ever recommending someone buy new as their first experiment with a new type of bike.

mtbr member
    What's wrong with SLX?

I mean, seriously.. do we all really need XTR?

Pretty solid bike, for a pretty good price in the Jet9 Carbon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm in no hurry as this was a project to get me thru the winter. I'll keep looking and probably cancel the Sir. I was able to ride another FS bike today and really enjoyed the ride. As far as SLX goes I had a SLX full drivetrain and brakes on my last dragon hard tail I built. My concerns were over the mixture of other components. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Millman.
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    What's wrong with SLX?

I mean, seriously.. do we all really need XTR?

Pretty solid bike, for a pretty good price in the Jet9 Carbon!
    Nothing wrong with SLX, but that complete bike is really not a great price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's probably a fair price, but it's just not the build that the average person spending that much on a frame is going to put together. Specifically, the wheels and shock... and to a lesser extent things like handlebar, seatpost, etc.

mtbr member

Shameless self promotion

Quote Originally Posted by millman View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm in no hurry as this was a project to get me thru the winter. I'll keep looking and probably cancel the Sir. I was able to ride another FS bike today and really enjoyed the ride. As far as SLX goes I had a SLX full drivetrain and brakes on my last dragon hard tail I built. My concerns were over the mixture of other components. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Millman.
    We have some Jet9 Alloy frame/fork packages at a great price....may be an option for you?

29er & 650b SPECIALS - Bikes & Frames - Hammerheadbikes.com

Thanks, Scott