The Other Dude

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet

So i got a sweet kermit green Jet9 frame the other day I wanted to go 10 speed on it, but wasent sure if I wanted to drop the cash on XX, and with a new frame sitting in the basement, there was no way I could wait on all the new 10 speed offerings to come out. While down at the bike shop, one of the employees was taking SRAM's new Apex stuff off of his new road bike to replace it with different offerings, and sitting there was an 11-32 Apex 10 speed cassette, and Apex mid cage rear derailleur. I knew the Apex had the exact actuation like the XX stuff did, so asked him what he would want for his parts, we made a deal, and i ordered an XX rear shifter hoping it would all work out. Well it ends up that it did, and after the first ride on it today, i am pretty happy with the performance. And i have a lot more cash in my pocket than if i would have ordered up an XX cassette and RD, i got the parts from him for $80.

While its not a super light build at 27lbs, the bike rides great and puts a smile on my face. There are a few areas to shave some weight, like the crank and tires, but they were items that i had laying around, I am going back and forth between either the Noir or the Hive crank and making them a 32/22t double with a bashring......any thoughts? Here is the build:

2010 Jet9 Frame Large

SRAM XX Tapered 100mm front fork w/xloc

American Classic Hubs Laced to Stans Arch Rims

Specialized Purgatory Tires

Avid Elixir CR Mag Brakes with matchmakers

XX Rear Shifter & X.7 Front shifter

XT Front Derailleur

Specialized Toupe Saddle

Shimano Deore Crank (soon to be a Truvativ Noir or FifteenG by the hive...setup double with a bash)

ODI Xtreme Lock-on grips

Specialized 100mm stem and 660mm flat bars (may go for some salsa pro moto carbons)

Thomson Elite Post

KMC X.10SL Chain

SRAM Apex 11-32 Cassette

SRAM Apex Rear Derailleur

Bontrager Waterbottle Cage

Being that I mostly ride a much lighter hardtail, I do have to say that this bike is very efficient and fun, the extra 7lbs over my hardtail is well worth it, and this thing is a blast. The only item I might add on just to turn the fun factor up another notch is a gravity dropper or command post seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1919.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1922.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1920.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1921.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1918.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1923.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1924.jpg  

Poor Mans 10 Speed Jet-dsc_1925.jpg  

Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Carbon & Ti rule
    Very nice bike.

I ran a droper seat post on my last jet but this time trying to keep it light.

I am enjoying my Jet9 alot when I can get out our weather has been crap.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 07-05-2010 at 02:16 PM.

PSYCHOLUST
    the affordable 10 speed is a neat idea.... Something I would consider if I were you is making my 2 rings a bit more practical
    maybe a 28/38 would give you some top end ( blackspire makes them )

Another cheap improvement to think about is getting a BB with a shorter spindal, 5 to 9 mm shorter , it will bring your crank in closer so you can use any combination of the two rings and 10 cogs without crosschain worries

Carbon & Ti rule

Poor mans 10 sp Jet9

Ok I will say it,There is some very nice gear on that bike for a Poor man.

You should have gone full XX then you would know how it feels to get mugged,Be it without a gun or knife.

The Other Dude
    Yeah i know what you mean about the crank, i recently dropped the big ring off of it, and now its a 32/22 double. I am waiting to see what the next couple months hold for the 2011 cranks, its seems that we will have a nice affordable set of options in the double cranks from sram, but for now, what I have works just fine.

Yeah i didnt go total poor man on the bike, but considering the entire drivetrain cost me about what just an XX cassette alone would cost, i dont think i did too bad I even had enough to add a Joplin 4 for the bike.

I did shell out the dough for XX on my hardtail, i am a real weight weenie with that thing, but just like you said, after i did it, i felt like i had just been mugged, luckliy i did a 1x10 on that, so i saved some $$ by not having to buy the crank, front derailleur and shifter, but it still hurt.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net