mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Pls Help w/Speedgoat Niner MCR 9 Build

Speedgoat has the bike listed below for $2185 which seems a like a really good price when you add up the components. By way of background, i consider myself an intermediate trail rider...moving up from a $700 Gary Fisher Tassajara. I ride mainly single track in Michigan, not super technical.

What do you think about this build and the price? The only real weak spot I see is front DR, but I can always upgrade later to XT.

One other question: unfortunately this bike is spec'd with white rims, grips and saddle, and I really don't like the white....Speedgoat sells black Stan's ZTR Arch wheels for $485, and the white ones are actually a little more expensive at $490, but Matt is telling me if I want to switch it will significantly increase the price, which doesn't make any sense at all.

maybe they just have tons of unwanted white ZTR Arch rims? Has anyone else had this experience? Am I being too much of a priss? If I'm spending $2k I at least want the color scheme I like....

Thanks in advance!

Frame: Niner M.C.R. 9
    Fork: RockShox Reba RLT 29er, 100mm, White (2011)
    Headset: Cane Creek S-3, Black
    Bar: TruVativ Stylo Team Low Rise, 680 x 20mm
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger
    Grips: SRAM Lock-On, White
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 w/ 160mm rotors
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 3.3 GXP, 22-32-44T, 175mm
    Bottom-bracket: TruVativ GXP
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980, 11-34T
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Seatpost: TruVativ Stylo Team
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Pro, White
    Skewers: Stans NoTubes
    Tires: Continental Mountain King, 29" x 2.4", folding
    Tubes: Presta
    Wheelset: Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch 29er, Black hubs and spokes w/ White rims
    Pedals: not included
    Includes: Alloy headset spacers, DKG Seatpost Collar

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the same build from Speedgoat and i'm not digging the white either to be honest.

I'd also prefer the 2.2 tires from the Air 9 build.

To you Niner folks....MCR or Air 9 and why?
    Last edited by Swerny; 09-29-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I actually wound up getting that back, but with some minor changes. So it technically became a custom order which costed me a little more.

I switched to black Stan's Crest Wheels (instead of white Arch), and I switched front DR to XT.

My bike came with Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires....are you thinking that Speedgoat's build comes with 2.4?

The Air 9 is a great bike, and can be had for the same price. I rode both....I was looking for more of a XC trail bike, so I opted for the MCR. The Air9 is lighter and stiffer, much better suited for racing....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty aggressive rider, and I race a few times a year, but I'm generally a guy who rides "for fun" not to get on the podium. (plus I refuse to wear spandex shorts!)

Be aware the MCR is flexy and buttery like, so its not for everybody, if you want stiff go Air9...but I love my bike...thrilled with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretababy
    I actually wound up getting that back, but with some minor changes. So it technically became a custom order which costed me a little more.

I switched to black Stan's Crest Wheels (instead of white Arch), and I switched front DR to XT.

My bike came with Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires....are you thinking that Speedgoat's build comes with 2.4?

The Air 9 is a great bike, and can be had for the same price. I rode both....I was looking for more of a XC trail bike, so I opted for the MCR. The Air9 is lighter and stiffer, much better suited for racing....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty aggressive rider, and I race a few times a year, but I'm generally a guy who rides "for fun" not to get on the podium. (plus I refuse to wear spandex shorts!)

Be aware the MCR is flexy and buttery like, so its not for everybody, if you want stiff go Air9...but I love my bike...thrilled with it.

Speedgoat says 2.4's on the MCR build. Check your first post.

Can I ask how much extra you had to pay for the upgrades?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny
    Speedgoat says 2.4's on the MCR build. Check your first post.

Can I ask how much extra you had to pay for the upgrades?
    you're correct....I think they switched me to 2.2s since I got the Crest instead of the Arch wheels.

I paid about $125 more....it was kind of a stupid financial decision, it was really based more on looks, I ditched the white rims, white saddle, white grips, etc.

I got the white fork, and I think my bike looks great...I also got XT front DR instead of SLX.

I like the 2.2s, and am pleasantly suprised at the Contintental Mountain Kings....they are a little heavy, but work well for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am going to get the same build, except I wanted a stronger axle than the quick release.
    They gave me the same response, now it becomes a custom order.
    Anyone have opinions on the merits of the 15 or 20mm axles for the MCR?
    Any feedback on the Reba RLT that comes with the package?
    They told me that it is not available and that they only put 15 or 20mm axles on 120mm travel and higher. Do the Stans' wheels work well with the 15 or 20mm conversion kits?

thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got the MCR, with Reba Team 20mm QR and Stans Flows. The 20mm is new to me but I like it a lot, nice and stiff. I've been riding a rigid fork for the last year so I've got the Reba compression on full, there's a lot of variance in compression and gate which will be good for the big buggers or grade 5-6 action.

mtbr member
    I've got a fairly new MCR and this build looks pretty good. Can't really comment on the price.
    For my build I started with a Reba but ended up going with Niners steel rigid fork. Either way its a great ride. I have standard dropouts but went with thru bolts front and rear. This is a good upgrade if it works with your hubs and will spare you the expense of a 29er fork with a 15mm or 20mm TA. (You can get a new Reba 29er SL for $400 but to get a good 29er fork with 15 - 20 mm option you're probably looking at around $650 and up).
    About the front derailleur, the SLX is probably a better choice than the XT. I know XT normally is considered an upgrade over LX but not in the case of the frt der. The XT is a clunker.
    Finally, if I were riding in Michigan I would try to go with a 2X9 or 1X9 (or 2X10) drivetrain. Because I use my MCR on mostly non tech trails without a lot of climbing, I went with the FSA Afterburner (2X9) and regular X.9 shifters and rear der. It has been perfect. If I want to go to a 3X drivetrain for the mountains, I can just swap in a standard 3-ring crank, adjust the chain and go. Having said all that, I had to spend a bit more than $2200 but not much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I can't find this MCR build on the Speedgoat website. Can you point me to it? Thanks.