mtbr member
    Oct 2010

PF30 BB Incompatbilities with Jet 9 RDO? King PF30 question

I already sent note and pics to Niner, but I want to place an order today for a replacement BB since I will be out a few days this week while I wait.

I had a SRAM PF30 BB in there for about a year. It got crunchy so went to replace it with a Wheels Mfg PF30 only to find the metal sleeve does not fit over the metal piece used to screw in the cable guide on the exterior of the BB shell.

In looking over the SRAM BB, it was clear the delrin just morphed/molded over the metal piece allowing it to insert fully. I just never noticed this when I first installed the BB.

The metal body of the Wheels Mfg can't do this.

In looking at the Chris King, it looks like the outer cups are pretty narrow in depth and would not get close to the metal piece, but I wonder about the sleeve that sits between the two cups. Is that sleeve plastic and would it be able to morph/mold over the metal piece enough to avoid issues?

I'm not opposed to using a SRAM again, but kind of of annoyed I can't choose my BB and in looking at other options it seems like King may be my only choice at 4X the price. I know they are good, but....

I have a SRAM X9 BB30 crank.

Picture attached. Also I inspected the BB shell and there is no damage to the shell where this metal screw insert is located. The carbon fiber is in perfect shape. It just seems like it was molded that way.

PF30 BB Incompatbilities with Jet 9 RDO? King PF30 question-2014-07-13-11.12.39.jpg

lamer
    Unfortunately, I don't remember what the BB shell looked like on my v1.0 Jet 9 RDO, but I've gone through 3x BBs by now. A SRAM PF30-to-BSA, then an Enduro XD-15 PF30, and now a Chris King PF30. I usually do all my own work, but I have a local shop press headsets/BBs for me, and they never said anything about having any trouble with my BBs. So, AFAIK, you shouldn't have that problem going with Chris King. I will note that my CK BB has creaked quite a bit since day one, but I've yet to be bothered enough to try to do anything about it.

mtbr member
    I run the Chris King PF30 with no problems.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    As of today, I had a v1 RDO that I recently installed a Wheels PF30 metal bottom bracket in without issue. I'm getting a latest version (V3?) RDO and they are supposed to move that bottom bracket across, so will be interesting to see if it works in the new frame.

I went Wheels because after about 1300 miles, the SRAM PF started creaking so bad it was driving me nuts.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't remember what the BB shell looked like on my v1.0 Jet 9 RDO, but I've gone through 3x BBs by now. A SRAM PF30-to-BSA, then an Enduro XD-15 PF30, and now a Chris King PF30. I usually do all my own work, but I have a local shop press headsets/BBs for me, and they never said anything about having any trouble with my BBs. So, AFAIK, you shouldn't have that problem going with Chris King. I will note that my CK BB has creaked quite a bit since day one, but I've yet to be bothered enough to try to do anything about it.
    Just an update that, upon inspection, I found the cause of the creaking was my Lightning spider and *not* the CK BB at all. After replacing the damaged spider with a direct-mount ring everything is nice and quiet.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Successful PF30 Installation!

Hope this info helps. Purchased a 2014 Jet 9 RDO. It does have the screw under the BB shell to hold the cable guide, but not as intrusive as the older version. Wheels Manufacturing PF30 BB went in with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PF30 BB Incompatbilities with Jet 9 RDO? King PF30 question-img_2083.jpg  

PF30 BB Incompatbilities with Jet 9 RDO? King PF30 question-img_2082.jpg  

PF30 BB Incompatbilities with Jet 9 RDO? King PF30 question-img_2080.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In my experience the Chris King press fit 30 is the best BB. Only thing you have to do is remove crank, clean, and re-lube from time to time. It will get dry and creak otherwise.