lamer

PF30 BB exploded?

So I was Just Riding Along this evening when the bottom bracket on my Jet 9 RDO starting making loud, random cracking/popping noises. I walked the bike out, and when I got home I took off the cranks and discovered that my drive side bearing had basically exploded. You can see the damage in the attached images. This is a new Enduro ZERO ceramic bearing PF30 BB that was installed less than a month ago. I'm running Specialized S-works crank arms.

So what exactly did I (or my mechanic) do wrong here? Are these things just not a great as they're supposed to be? Could dirt have caused this? There's no grit or water in the BB as far as I can tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PF30 BB exploded?-dscn0068-small.jpg  

PF30 BB exploded?-dscn0065-small.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    It's hard to tell without seeing if there was free play when he started.

Some times parts are just made wrong & can fail that quick,

When you replace the bearings have a very good look at all fits well.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Solution: Adapter and King BB.

lamer
    Unless I'm missing something, Chris King doesn't make any kind of 30mm ID bearing bottom brackets. And there's no way my crank would fit with a PF30-to-BSA + 30mm threaded BB, as the whole thing would be way too wide on my 73mm BB frame.

As I haven't been able to order a new PF30 BB yet, I think I'll just have my mechanic slap in the bearings + pressfit adapters that came with the crank. Specialized ships 2 bearings and cup adapters with the crank arms, and, having not been aware of that, I had already ordered the Enduro BB. I'm still not sure what I did wrong here, but it might have been one of a couple of pedals strikes on that ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    King just released a PF30 BB at eurobike. Seems like that is your best option. Its always best to leave chinsy road bike bottom brackets on road bikes. I don't think ceramic bearings have a spot in the MTB world unless you are a sponsored pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

lamer
    Ah, I see that now Chris King Unveils Disc Brake Road Hubs, PressFit BB’s & More! - Bike Rumor

Looks like they won't be available until "Q1" which I assume is January-March for them. I guess I'll see how long these other bearings last and then look into a King BB next year.