mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Parts and specs for going 1x9 on a Sir

Currently, I have been riding my SIR as a SS for the last 2 years; however, I am interested in trying a 1x9 set-up. I have heard that it can be a bit finicky. Could you guys give me some 1x9 set-ups that have worked well for you? If you could, include the specs (cassette gearing, front ring size, chain guide, chain, etc). Thanks for the trouble. I did a few searches before I posted this, and I could not find anything.
    Blake

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The main problem with 1x9 setups is the chain coming off the front chainring. The cheapest solution is to use an N-gear jumpstop on the inside and a bashring on the outside. It also helps to use a short cage derailleur (I like the SRAM X9 combined with trigger shifter) and keep the chain length to a minimum. Personally, I would just run a standard cassette and a 32 tooth front chainring. That gear range covers most situations and coming off of a single speed you will already be used to standing for the steeper climbs.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I ran a 32t Blackspire chainring in front with SRAM X9 in back and had no problems. Went back to SS at the first opportunity though.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member

Here's mine...

I ran this set-up for a couple of years, and even though I have now sold the SIR, I run 1x9 on a new HT in exactly the same way

Middleburn (square taper) front with 32 or 30T and short cage rear der (the der in the pic is not that short, I changed to a Sram extra short) . No anti-drop up mechs up front, and I NEVER dropped the chain. Just make sure the chain is as short as poss

This arrangement looks much cleaner and doesn't give any problems

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks folks

It looks like I'll be running the 32 front on the eno and the sram short der. I appreciate the responses and the pics. You and mtbr
    Blake

Members who have read this thread: 0