Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    90

    Painting a RAW finish

    Anyone out there painted a RAW finish? I know people strip paint to get to RAW but I'm not a big fan. There are some great deals on a RIP 9 with a revelation fork in raw for about 400 less than a painted RIP. I had a steel bike stripped and powder coated and it turned out great and I can get a great paint job foe the difference. . Does the RAW have anything besides the decals I would need to strip off such as a clear coat?

    Millman
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,318
    Quote Originally Posted by millman View Post
    Anyone out there painted a RAW finish? I know people strip paint to get to RAW but I'm not a big fan. There are some great deals on a RIP 9 with a revelation fork in raw for about 400 less than a painted RIP. I had a steel bike stripped and powder coated and it turned out great and I can get a great paint job foe the difference. . Does the RAW have anything besides the decals I would need to strip off such as a clear coat?

    Millman
    Niner's raw frames as far as I know come with a clearcoat that you would have to strip before painting.

    The only raw "raw" finish that I've seen on aluminum frames is Intense's Raw Works finish. Which is pretty sick btw. No two frames are the same.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tillers_Rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The only raw "raw" finish that I've seen on aluminum frames is Intense's Raw Works finish. Which is pretty sick btw. No two frames are the same.
    I just picked up a RIP 9 in RAW, while it looks great, it's definitely finished with a clear coat and the metal may have been prepped more. I saw one of those Intense Uzzi's in RAW and THAT is a great looking bike, very industrial and durable.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    These guys will custom paint your bike for $250. They advertise on EBay as well.
    BICYCLES

    So how do you prep a raw bike for painting? Throw it in a box and let the exerts do it!

    I'm surprised the difference between raw and painted prices is so much different. For $400, you could definitely do something nicer than stock paint.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowPokePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,516
    Crazy8 does some really nice ceramic coating work...he's a pretty regular poster on the singlespeed forum.

    Website address is here ... STB performance coatings~Home

    SPP
    Rigid.

  6. #6
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,352
    Niner's raw is definitely more of a brushed finish with clear coat. Not really raw like Intense or Turner.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: five5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    414
    But the Raw finish glows in the dark!! Which is awesome, and hilarious!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    90

    Glow in the dark

    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    But the Raw finish glows in the dark!! Which is awesome, and hilarious!
    I really don't need any more excuses for people to laugh while I ride! . The problem is solved though, I got a great deal on a RDO frame and fork from Hammerhead. Frame is due on Friday while I'm in Chicago.

    Millman
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •