mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Painting a Carbon Frame

Just want to know how many out there have customized their carbon Niners by getting them repainted? I ask this because I have JEt 9 RDO white on black purchased on closeout from CC when they were on deal everywhere. Due to financial changes and time I have not been able to build this up yet. I have to be honest, the thread of all the RDO's cracking has me sort of thinking of selling this thing and purchasing the all black Jet 9 RDO with new cable routing, 12x142 axle, etc... I know, I know this may not be the case with mine, but at 215 without a pack and the way I ride I am a bit hesitant.

So, I know a guy who can match the silver paint on the black Jet 9 RDO that is on the carbon suspension link on the most current model (I know they don't do model years). I'm thinking of having him paint this silver color (maybe a tad darker), on the bike just like the white bike. I'm also considering the doing the black area's matte black paint and doing the silver parts gloss. I want to keep the Niner logo the same but in matte black. The other option is to paint the bike white exactly like the one I have now.

Anybody out there done this? I should probably contact Niner about any voidance of warranty. I saw a Jet 9 RDO painted matte black posted here somewhere and I can't find it. I would like to ask them about it. It looked really nice the way it came out.

mtbr member
    Pretty much all warranties are voided if you paint a frame. I'm sure this is the case with Niner too. Build it up and ride it.

Moosehead
    Best matte finish for a MTB that will not void warranty and is DIY, cheap, and aesthetically and psychically pleasing?

Dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Best matte finish for a MTB that will not void warranty and is DIY, cheap, and aesthetically and psychically pleasing?

Dirt.
    Now I would agree if you have that nice brown or red clay type soil. We have that white dusty dirt that just plain ol' looks bad so I have to keep my bike clean.

mtbr member
    As mentioned, don't expect to have any sort of warranty. Have you priced the replacement for the ballistics tape on the down tube? I think this will be a significant cost to replace it with the exact same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No I have not, I would just put Shelter on it if I purchased a new all black frame and painted it. Not worried about that end of it. I used that on my Tallboy C and that stuff works outstanding. I plan on putting Shelter on the white one anyway if I don't sell it. I'm just worried about this thing cracking and then being told the replacement is Jet 9 carbon in moondust or Red and those awful white graphics. The thing of it is, I really like that white frame, which is why I bought the thing in that color. Weighing my options here thats all.

Thanks for the help everyone...