Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    29ers Only.

Paint news from Niner Bikes

Hey there MTBr Denizens -

Remember how you were sad when you missed out on the Tang S.I.R. 9? Remember missing out on the original Atomic Blue R.I.P. 9? We still get letters from folks asking about past color schemes, so this time we are giving you a heads up - we are discontinuing several paint options.

Among them are the Jet 9 in Kermit Green and the S.I.R. 9 and M.C.R. 9 in Gold and Rootbeer. When these colors are gone, they are gone for good. We still have a few left in each size, but if you have your heart set on one of these options, now is your last chance. We have put together some great packages for our dealers, so if you are interested, give them a ring.

This is also the time to order your Root Beer or Solid Gold carbon fork, if you have plans to get one. We will do one more order on these and then that option is going away, too. Turnaround on this fork order will be prioritized after all existing carbon fork orders and could take some time.

We aren't going to announce new colors for a while, and no amount of craft beer (heavy on the IPA) shipped directly to the Niner office will change our minds. Or, maybe it will. Anyone want to test the waters? :-)

Cheers,
    Carla
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint news from Niner Bikes-discontinuedcolors.jpg  

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    man i thought you were gonna anounce new colors for the wfo9! ah shucks! thanks anyway...

mtbr member

more colors

i widh there were more colors across all the frames. a tamale or black wfo would be great. also there should be a choice of black or silver linds on each suspension frame. a black jet or rip with silver links does not lood as good as it could.
    SOLD: 2010 EWR OWB 29er
    SOLD: 2012 Transition Bottlerocket

2013 Banshee Spitfire XL Red

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    just got a wfo9 and will have it re-painted. thinking of atomic blue, just dont tell me this will become a regular color ...

mtbr member
    Love my Orange SIR9...it grows on me everytime I look at. Can't wait for the new colors!!! Way to change it up Niner...... the carbon frames will have the new colors....yea....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

30-ton War Machine
    my favorite part of all of this is how it voids your warranty if you change the finish in any way. So ridiculous.

NMBP
    Great news! Anybody want to buy a CLASSIC XL Rootbeer SIR/Fork, lightly used?

northern soul
    So you discontinue all SIRs und MCRs and won´t announce new colors for a while? Thats no clever strategy for selling bikes...
    good night, good ride ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OK, my 2 cents.
    I think Niner should permanently keep 5-6 colors:
    - Black
    - Hot Tamale
    - Kermit Green
    - Vana White
    - Tang
    - Atomic Blue

and offer their steel and alloy frames (in the future carbon too) in all of those colors. That would be little step up in class and
    also add a bit of timelessness to the bikes since Niner doesn't do model year classification and no one could tell how old someone's bike really is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i doubt the sales volumes allow this strategy.

what about some few colors as standard, and as a custom option all RAL colors with 2 week lead time. let's say $150 extra.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by yo gomez
    So you discontinue all SIRs und MCRs and won´t announce new colors for a while? Thats no clever strategy for selling bikes...
    Sounds to me like they are doing exactly what they say they are doing... giving folks a heads up that they are discontinuing a few existing colors.

How did you interpret that as some sort of scheme?

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    my favorite part of all of this is how it voids your warranty if you change the finish in any way. So ridiculous.
    Wait, what?!

You serious?

Niner comment please, will it invalidate my warranty if I paint my puppy **** brown bike.

P
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Moderator Moderator
    see below
    Last edited by 2melow; 08-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

29ers Only.
    Hey guys, just wanted to chime in on the 'repainting' concerns. Yes, repainting your frame will void the warranty. We're sorry to say that, and at first glance this seems unreasonable, but paint and finish is a very critical step in the production process. We have control over our process and can QC and check what's being done to a frame during painting. If an outside vendor gets one of our frames, we have no control over what's being done to the frame and therefor cannot guarantee what's happening with the frame underneath. For instance, our Scandium frames shouldn't be powder coated, the temperature of the oven for powder coat is significantly higher than for wet paint, and it could effect the frame. We don't know whether somebody else who's getting the frame repainted knows that or not. Secondly, outside vendors could potentially grind too deep, or cover up potential issues with the frame (dings and dents) with bondo and we'd never know about it. If we don't have control over the process, we simply can't verify that the frame underneath is in it's original condition and that any potential warranty claim may have been caused by incorrect frame processing or treatment at a repainting facility. We're sorry if this causes any problems, but hope you understand.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My 2 cents: I like bright primary colors. A WFO in bright red, orange, or yellow would be really cool. I'm taking advantage of the current WFO sale and it bums me out to be stuck with "milkdud brown". Every model should have at least one bright color and one boring color. If I had to go with a muted, boring color, I think a nice army green (like the first Surly Big Dummy frames) would be a good color.

Wait... I know.... PURPLE! That would be mega cool.

mtbr member
    +1 for blue eyes' opinion
    SOLD: 2010 EWR OWB 29er
    SOLD: 2012 Transition Bottlerocket

2013 Banshee Spitfire XL Red

29ers Only.
    Sorry guys, one more amendment to this post: we will not void the warranty if the frame is painted by a painting company who specializes in this application and understands the nuances of painting a frame. Spectrum Powder Works (who also do wet paint) and Hot Tubes are examples of trusted paint companies. Before getting your frame painted by a company, check with us and we'll verify if the painter you're going to use is an authorized paint company.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member

Cyclart?

Steve,

How about Cyclart (http://www.cyclart.com)?

O

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    Sorry guys, one more amendment to this post: we will not void the warranty if the frame is painted by a painting company who specializes in this application and understands the nuances of painting a frame. Spectrum Powder Works (who also do wet paint) and Hot Tubes are examples of trusted paint companies. Before getting your frame painted by a company, check with us and we'll verify if the painter you're going to use is an authorized paint company.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

30-ton War Machine
    Awesome.... I retract my only negative critique of Niner then....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Does every atomic blue painted bike glow in the dark like my one9 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this is great news - i was just starting to look for a used mcr to have powdercoated but i'll just wait and see if you guys do something nice, like kermit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    We're all Niner lovers here right? I'm on my 4th,Niner so I'm not bashing but since we are talking about paint want to mention that my gold Sir gets more paint chips then my kids get zits. You'd have to see my family to understand. There seems to be black primer that shows through and that the paint didn't adhere well to. Was there a bad batch in there somewhere? It just such a contrast, the early silver Ano Rips and the Raw finishes have both been excellent for me.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spanadu1
    Does every atomic blue painted bike glow in the dark like my one9 ?
    I believe that's the point of the "atomic" in the name. I know my AIR does.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Steve, I can understand the concern about PAINTING a frame, but what if someone with a painted frame would strip it to RAW... would that void the warranty?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes

Steve
    Niner Bikes

29ers Only.
    larsbaby,

Yes, this would too. All frames need some sort of protection from the elements, even alloy corrodes when fully exposed. Our 'raw' frames have a clear coat on them. Just stripping a frame to bare aluminum would be detrimental to the frame. In addition, some strippers can actually eat into alloys and other metals, so we couldn't be sure that the person stripping the frame did it correctly. Obviously, the majority of people out there with a head on their shoulders would understand how critical finish and frame prep is, it's not these people that we have to have these rules for. It's the minority who inadvertently cause damage to their frame by stripping and/or painting their frame incorrectly that we have to protect our products from.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast