mtbr member
    Mar 2007

One 9 for XC and Endurance Racing

I know this frame would be great for XC racing, but does anyone use it for endurance racing as well? I would probably run it with a Niner rigid carbon fork. I would like to build up something around 20 lbs or so. I have been very competitive on my current bike in both XC and endurance events, but would like to start racing in the pro class. Thinking dropping 4 lbs would make a difference, maybe?

I currently ride a Haro Mary SS at about 24 lbs with the stock rigid chromoly fork. Everything else has been replaced besides the Truvativ Stylo crankset. Am I going to notice a difference between a steel and scandium frame? It seems as though with the carbon fork on the front of the One 9 it would be just as plush as the Mary, but maybe the shock transmitted through the pedals from the frame would wear on me over an event longer then 6 hours?

One other option I was thinking about was the Air 9 Carbon, would the extra money spent on the Air 9 Carbon be worth the difference I would feel during longer events? Anyone ridden both?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrue
    I know this frame would be great for XC racing, but does anyone use it for endurance racing as well? I would probably run it with a Niner rigid carbon fork. I would like to build up something around 20 lbs or so. I have been very competitive on my current bike in both XC and endurance events, but would like to start racing in the pro class. Thinking dropping 4 lbs would make a difference, maybe?

I currently ride a Haro Mary SS at about 24 lbs with the stock rigid chromoly fork. Everything else has been replaced besides the Truvativ Stylo crankset. Am I going to notice a difference between a steel and scandium frame? It seems as though with the carbon fork on the front of the One 9 it would be just as plush as the Mary, but maybe the shock transmitted through the pedals from the frame would wear on me over an event longer then 6 hours?

One other option I was thinking about was the Air 9 Carbon, would the extra money spent on the Air 9 Carbon be worth the difference I would feel during longer events? Anyone ridden both?
    I have not ridden either but have spent some time on the SIR9 & it was smooth.

Do yourself favour & get the Carbon Air9 that way you only get hurt when you pay for it & then on a 6 hour event you know you are on the right bike & can keep your mind on the job rather that spending time thinking if only I brought the Air9 Carbon.

mtbr member
    I rode my One9 with Niner carbon fork for an 8 hour this summer and it treated me just fine.

I won the race by 3 laps (28kms). Having a lightweight (18.5lb) bike was definitely advantageous for me and having a set cadence meant I just got into the right mindset and pedaled.

I'm also racing short (30ish km) XC races and placing well, even winning one this year.

Dirty South Underdog
    I rode my One9 at the Breck100 and SM100, and I really love it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I rode my One9 with Niner carbon fork for an 8 hour this summer and it treated me just fine.

I won the race by 3 laps (28kms). Having a lightweight (18.5lb) bike was definitely advantageous for me and having a set cadence meant I just got into the right mindset and pedaled.

I'm also racing short (30ish km) XC races and placing well, even winning one this year.
    Awesome, appreciate the info. Any race I have entered this season which had a single speed class I have won except for a 4th place finish, which was my first race ever besides SSWC 09. I am usually top 3 in the midweek race XC series against the geared dudes.

Just finished my first longer event, Snowbasin 100k(62 miles) with 11 k vert of climbing, came in 1st in SS class 5:59 finishing time, 6th in open class, and 12th including the pro class. Thinking that a lighter bike will give me a little more edge over the competition. What does your build look like for an 18.5 lb bike?

I was thinking of specing it out with the following parts, most of them I already have:

Easton XC One SS Wheels
    2.25 Maxxis Ardent's F/R
    Easton Monkeylite Carbon Bars
    ODI Rouge Grips
    EA70 90 MM Stem
    Avid Elixir CR brakes w/ Avid CleanSweep X Brake Rotor w/Ti bolts
    Crank Bros XC SL Headset
    Stylo Cranks with Surly Chainring(33 tooth)
    Surly rear cog(19 tooth)
    Crank Bros Eggbeater 2 ti pedals
    Thompson Elite Stem
    Thompson Collar
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Saddle
    Niner Carbon Fork

Pretty sure it will be right around 18-19 lbs.

PSYCHOLUST
    +1
    I had my best season( competitively) ever on my one 9 this summer
    Mine is 19.25 lbs..... a sub 20lb build is pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrue
    What does your build look like for an 18.5 lb bike?
    Medium One 9
    Carbon Niner Fork
    King Headset
    Noir WC low rise bar
    Lock on grips
    Juicy Ultimate brakes
    160mm G3 rotors F & R
    Thomson Elite Post and Stem
    Specialized Phenom Ti Rails
    King SS Bottle cage
    King BB
    Cut and polished M960 crank
    Candy 2Ti's
    Mono Veloce ring
    SRAM 8 speed chain
    Niner cog
    Stans 355 rims
    DT Supercomps
    King Hubs (SS specific rear)
    Racing Ralph 2.25 F and STans Raven R (both set up tubeless)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One 9 for XC and Endurance Racing-img_0816.jpg