mtbr member

one 9 second hand

guys, just want your 2 cents on this, have the opportunity to pick up a mint second hand one 9 in medium frame size, I'm just a shade over 6" ( not quite 6"1 ) with a 32 inch inside leg. I was going to run the frame with a 400mm thomson 7 degree set back post. I normally have 30.5 inches between the centre of the BB and the top of the saddle. Does any one see any major problems with me riding a medium size ?

cheers !
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean, if Pac Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
    listening to repetitive music."

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and ride a medium. Personally if I was any taller I'd probably go to the large.

Can you test ride it before buying it?

Assuming you have "normal" body proportions a medium rings some alarm bells.

Sorry to be a downer, the One 9 is an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    cheers for the response bob..... but here goes, I ride a salsa dos niner large frame size, and the effective top tube on that is 620mm plus a 100mm stem = 720mm

looking at the medium niner, effective top tube 603mm + 110mm stem and a thomson 7 degree layback post ( =/-11mm ) all adds up to 724mm and I should be able to adjust the saddle 4mm on the rails to match. So in theory I can match the seat post height / reach on the medium frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and ride a large SIR 9. I don't think I'd personally like the feel of medium. To each their own though. Some peope like the smaller freames. Just keep in mind you'll likely need a long stem and really long seat post.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I'm about your height with a slightly longer inseam (~34") and I ride a large Air9. No way I would go with the medium.

mtbr member
    I originally bought a Medium, sold it to buy a Large after a few rides. Similar height with a 34 inch inseam.

Got Twins?
    I am 6' 3/4" with a 34" inseam and ride a medium RIP9. I've had a medium SIR9 in the past and it fit fine. You'll run alot of post but that will help the ride. I've talked with both Steve and Chris at Niner and they both put me on a medium for demo rides. Kinda surprised but it feels comfortable.

YMMV,
    L8
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    thanks folks for the input, I've decieded to hold out for a large frame size. I think it will be a better fit all round.

Patrick

mtbr member
    One will come around for sure, and when you get it you'll love it !!

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'm just a hair under 6ft w/ a 32" in-seam and the Large Air9 fits me perfectly. I demo'd a medium, but I couldn't seem to make it feel right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Never ever, ever never, ever, ever, never buy a bike that doesn't fit you. Nothing sucks more than spending a wad of cash on a bike that doesn't work.