Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    One 9 RDO Bottom bracket issue

    I just called my LBS asking about the One 9 RDO. They had one my size but would not sell it stating that Niner told them not to sell it at this time due to a bottom bracket issue. He didn't elaborate on the issue other than it has to do with the EBB for the single speed set ups only. He said he could sell it as a geared setup. Any one have any info on this?

  2. #2
    29ers Only.
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by sparewalnut View Post
    I just called my LBS asking about the One 9 RDO. They had one my size but would not sell it stating that Niner told them not to sell it at this time due to a bottom bracket issue. He didn't elaborate on the issue other than it has to do with the EBB for the single speed set ups only. He said he could sell it as a geared setup. Any one have any info on this?
    Hi Sparewalnut -

    It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

    One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

    We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

    Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

    Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

    We appreciate our customers – how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.
    .........

    Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Hi Sparewalnut -

    It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

    One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

    We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

    Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

    Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

    We appreciate our customers – how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.
    Correction, the LBS said the frame would be fine with a geared setup. He didn't say that he would sell it to me that way. Not looking to get the LBS reprimanded on a technicality. But thank you for the quick response, I hope Niner is able to get this issue rectified promptly. I really like your products and have been wanting the one 9 rdo for a while now. What is your recommendation for the best model as an alternative to the One 9 RDO for single speed rigid?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    There are a crap ton of new old stock air9rdo frames out there. Today even there was some ad for one in the right hand banner area.

  5. #5
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by sparewalnut View Post
    What is your recommendation for the best model as an alternative to the One 9 RDO for single speed rigid?
    Sir 9 is probably your option with Niner. I'd just wait a little longer on the One 9 RDO, if you want carbon.

    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    There are a crap ton of new old stock air9rdo frames out there. Today even there was some ad for one in the right hand banner area.
    Air 9 RDOs can't be run singlespeed.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    495
    Niner wouldn't like to sell the non conforming frames cheap with a disclaimer/no warranty to geared riders now would they?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    Gen I air9rdos can be, I know cause I have one currently set up ss.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51
    Don't forget the older Air 9 Carbon can be run ss as well.

  9. #9
    29ers Only.
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,169
    Just to be clear, gen 1 Air 9 Carbon CYA frames can be run as a singlespeed with our EBB (v1 or 2).
    Air 9 RDO frames of any generation are absolutely not PF30 EBB compatible from any manufacturer, and the use of any such product on this frame will void the warranty. The carbon shell will crush, as it was never designed to withstand such forces.
    .........

    Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Niner,
    Any chance that as part of the re-engineering of the One9RDO frame that you could shift the bottle cage mounts on the L size?
    I have issues fitting a full size bottle in mine!

    To confirm... this is mainly the upright bottle on the seat tube

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    Thanks for the detail; I am a registered One 9 RDO owner and have not been contacted by anyone yet, anyone idea why not?

    I just heard about this 2 hours ago from my LBS (started a thread here:Is there a warranty repair/recall for One 9 RDO creaking BBs?) so I'm very interested to hear any new details as they come to light.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    I couldn't be more disappointed in niner. I have had two carbon SS frames replaced both with compressed bottom bracket both the older model. On the first one niner told me it was my fault and I ponied up money for a replacement. Then less then a year later the new one is bent again this time niner warranties the frame at there expense and sends me a 2014 model. I then replace a perfectly good white fork with a new niner fork so it matches the new baby blue frame. Now my third frame yes third frame is junk the season is starting and I'm left with yet another junk niner frame and a new carbon fork that doesn't have a home. So I'm into niner well over $4k And riding a frame that I simply don't trust.
    Last edited by petefire1515; 03-02-2014 at 09:01 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Settle down Pete

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    Settle down Pete
    Why should he? I would be angry if I were in his shoes as well. BTW, I am a very happy A9C owner, but the aluminum BB shell on my A9C is also deformed. This was not caused by torquing the EBB/EBB II beyond the indicated specifications; I have no idea why it happened. However, it does not seem to affect functionality of the BB. My EBB II is absolutely quiet and does not slip.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Spryip

    I would warranty that frame the issue from my experience is the frame/ bb shell gets more warped over time. And eventually leads to a cracked carbon or bb shell. I agree it's the best riding geometry I've ever been on and the bike flies up hill especially with the rigid fork. But this is simply unacceptable. This is niners flagship bike and it's been riddled with problems. The AC9's bb shell is not designed properly for ss use. And they have passed the buck on to the consumer blaming over torked ebbs. Now their shipping bikes out the door with what seems to be zero quality control in production. So now owners of both the AC9 and the one 9Rdo are left with bikes that are time bombs and the only fix to the solution is months away that is if they can get it right this time.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by petefire1515 View Post
    Spryip

    I would warranty that frame the issue from my experience is the frame/ bb shell gets more warped over time. And eventually leads to a cracked carbon or bb shell. I agree it's the best riding geometry I've ever been on and the bike flies up hill especially with the rigid fork. But this is simply unacceptable. This is niners flagship bike and it's been riddled with problems. The AC9's bb shell is not designed properly for ss use. And they have passed the buck on to the consumer blaming over torked ebbs. Now their shipping bikes out the door with what seems to be zero quality control in production. So now owners of both the AC9 and the one 9Rdo are left with bikes that are time bombs and the only fix to the solution is months away that is if they can get it right this time.
    I would love to warranty the frame, but it was a gift, so I am technically not the original owner. It is frustrating because the deformed BB shell does prevent setting up the frame as a geared bike. That is, the BB shell deformed to the point that the screw bridge associated with the aluminum BB shell, which accepts the internal cable routing guide, bent and then cracked and broke off because it was inhibiting the rotation of the EBB. So, I am stuck having to use the bike as a SS. I agree that eventually the carbon BB that holds the insert will likely crack, but I really don't know what I can do about it. Again, I technically don't have the warranty. Sucks.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    I would at least contact them and see what they could do.This is clearly a known problem on their end. At a bear min they should cover the bike for five years which they could base of the serial number. I'm done riding a bike from a company that I've had to replace frames from on a yearly bases.And which is worthless to sell because everyone knows that at some point the BB shell is going to fail. And niner only stands behind there product if your the original owner. I've never liked the eccentric BB it's a giant pain in the ass. And it's clearly their Achilles heel. Why they don't switch to a slider is beyond me.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    Also, you can simply run full length housing externally on the frame and make a geared setup work. Just piggy back it on the rear brake line until it gets to the seat tube. Then, cross it over and run it down the drive side seat stay. Will probably shift better than 90% of the frames out there running the internal setup with that obnoxious cable stop in the BB.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Anyone been contacted by Niner directly yet on this one?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    I haven't been, but I called Niner; they told me to call my LBS.
    I called my LBS, they asked for a SN# so they could start the process, and I've not yet heard back from them.

    (Out of curiosity I took the EBB out of the frame, and the ripples/bulges in the aluminum BB insert are easily visible. It's going to be a creaky couple of months until the new frame arrives!).

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by dolface View Post

    I took the EBB out of the frame, and the ripples/bulges in the aluminum BB insert are easily visible.
    I think I'll just leave mine all sealed up....

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Hi Sparewalnut -

    It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

    One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

    We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

    Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

    Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

    We appreciate our customers – how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.

    So have you fixed the BB issue with the new One9?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    I think think they said July.

    Quote Originally Posted by mclandis12 View Post
    So have you fixed the BB issue with the new One9?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    I changed my gearing so the bolts on the EBB clamp on the bottom part of the shell (where there are no cutouts in the insert) and the creaking has stopped so far. YMMV

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    Heard from my LBS that replacement frames where going to start showing up at the end of May, anyone heard similar?

  26. #26
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by dolface View Post
    Heard from my LBS that replacement frames where going to start showing up at the end of May, anyone heard similar?
    I haven't heard anything on an arrival date, I've been riding the one I have like I stole it. The BB shell may be out of spec, but this frame is tough. It's like I've had a get out of jail free card for the last 4 months.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Rode mine over the weekend SS in a 12hr solo and hardly creaked.... Happy to take a replacement, just hope that the new yellow batch still matches the colour of my fork (frame/fork are actually a slightly diff shade even when buying together)

  28. #28
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by dolface View Post
    Heard from my LBS that replacement frames where going to start showing up at the end of May, anyone heard similar?
    Shop called me Friday and said they just got an email saying about 2 more weeks. End of May will be about right.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Any news? I haven't heard anything except via this forum

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    Talked to my shop and they said another 2 weeks yet. I'll post here as soon as I hear anything more.
    Last edited by dolface; 06-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    My frame is in-transit and will arrive on Monday!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    24
    Are they letting you guys keep the old frames? Is there any way to identify if I have the newer frame? I just bought the 2-Star SS Build.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    Issue resolved - thanks Niner!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One 9 RDO Bottom bracket issue-photo-3.jpg  


  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    How are you liking that fork?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    Honestly, I just picked it up today from the LBS. I've only had a single ride on it. It seems to soak up the trail chatter really well. Well, between the fork, bar, and stem anyway. I'll let you know after I get a few more rides in.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by dolface View Post
    How are you liking that fork?
    Can't be as good as the NINER

  37. #37
    Shift less, Pedal more.
    Reputation: Birdss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    502
    Edit

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    Can't be as good as the NINER
    Yeah. I've really been enjoying the bike. Quick, nimble, extremely responsive. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between this fork or the Niner fork. I just don't have enough experience to discern the differences.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    243
    I read somewhere that O9RDO's setup as a SS are getting chain slap on the bottom of the chainstay. Can anyone comment on that? Please provide gearing setup (e.g., 32t front, 20t rear). Thanks!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I read somewhere that O9RDO's setup as a SS are getting chain slap on the bottom of the chainstay. Can anyone comment on that? Please provide gearing setup (e.g., 32t front, 20t rear). Thanks!
    I have run the following without slap... (no idea how loose these complainers have run their chain but I run mine with ~5mm vertical play)

    34t Front with 17-18 Rear
    32t Front with 17-20 Rear

    If this doesn't cover all of your riding, I don't know what will.....

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    I have run the following without slap... (no idea how loose these complainers have run their chain but I run mine with ~5mm vertical play)

    34t Front with 17-18 Rear
    32t Front with 17-20 Rear

    If this doesn't cover all of your riding, I don't know what will.....
    A few more data points:
    32x21, 20, 19
    34x 20, 19, 18

    Chain tension similar to Acko's

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16
    I currently run 32/18 with no issues. I can see how one can have an issue with chain slapping the bottom of the chain stay though. The clearance is definitely less than on that of other single speed frames. 1) If the chain isn't properly tensioned as previously mentioned. 2) If the EBB is not properly adjusted. Rotated in one direction the EBB will increase the distance of the chain from the stay and rotated in the opposite direction the chain comes extremely close to the stay. I can imagine if the the chain is adjusted in the direction close to the stay. It would take just the least amount of play to make contact with the bottom of the chain stay.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by sparewalnut View Post
    I can imagine if the the chain is adjusted in the direction close to the stay. It would take just the least amount of play to make contact with the bottom of the chain stay.
    Remove 1 link... problem solved!

  44. #44
    3LH
    3LH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Hi Sparewalnut -

    It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

    One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

    We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

    Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

    Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

    We appreciate our customers – how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.
    WOW...... This sounds like a possible recall and should be a headline in Niners forum for all to read.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    It was, a year ago.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    57
    I was about to post the same thing. Not to mention they did a great job communicating to both customers that had the run of frames with issues as well as those waiting to purchase a one9 RDO with full transparency on why frames were back ordered at that time.

    I can tell you it was worth the wait. I have a rigid setup and my gf has a 1x11 setup. IMO best XC SS frame set.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Acko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    256
    3LH obviously has a chip on his shoulder about Niner cause he's tried to stir up crap on a few threads...

    Leave it alone mate. There are clearly lots of very happy Niner owners.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chris1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I would love to warranty the frame, but it was a gift, so I am technically not the original owner. It is frustrating because the deformed BB shell does prevent setting up the frame as a geared bike. That is, the BB shell deformed to the point that the screw bridge associated with the aluminum BB shell, which accepts the internal cable routing guide, bent and then cracked and broke off because it was inhibiting the rotation of the EBB. So, I am stuck having to use the bike as a SS. I agree that eventually the carbon BB that holds the insert will likely crack, but I really don't know what I can do about it. Again, I technically don't have the warranty. Sucks.
    I have only had my A9C for a couple months and mine did the same thing. That screw bridge thing cracked and buckled downward where it hit the BB screw housing. Was noisy and affected movement of the BB. I have always used a torque wrench adjusted to the 12nm (106 in-lbs) specified in the Niner Encyclopedia. I'm wondering if i should contact Niner about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Bottom Bracket Compatibility Issue...
    By Sliphorn in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
  2. GXP Cranks and Bottom Bracket - Issue
    By thracian in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
  3. FSA crank and bottom bracket issue
    By aaron_reigler in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
  4. Bottom bracket removal issue
    By SingleSpeedSlave in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
  5. bottom bracket bearing issue
    By Gilly32 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •