Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

One 9 RDO Bottom bracket issue

9K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  chris1911 
#1 ·
I just called my LBS asking about the One 9 RDO. They had one my size but would not sell it stating that Niner told them not to sell it at this time due to a bottom bracket issue. He didn't elaborate on the issue other than it has to do with the EBB for the single speed set ups only. He said he could sell it as a geared setup. Any one have any info on this?

#2 ·
Hi Sparewalnut -

It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

We appreciate our customers - how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.

#3 ·
Hi Sparewalnut -

It has come to our attention that the bottom bracket shell the One 9 RDO frame was manufactured approximately 1mm thinner in the center than was specified by our engineering department. This thinner shell does not meet our internal engineering requirements for use with the BioCentric 2 bottom bracket system.

One 9 RDO frames being run in a geared set up will continue to function perfectly. Bikes set up as singlespeeds may possibly experience bottom bracket maintenance-related issues.

We at Niner stand behind the products we make. We are replacing all One 9 RDO frames currently in rider's hands with frames that meet our engineering specification. Until then, folks can continue to ride their One 9 RDO in confidence - there is no safety concern associated with this issue, as confirmed via additional testing. When the new frame does arrive, we will cover the labor needed to build it, via local authorized Niner dealers.

Riders that have the frame currently should make sure they have registered their warranty so that we have their contact information and can get them their updated frame. All riders that have registered have already been contacted with information.

Regarding your specific question - we would like to speak to your shop so that we can work with them directly - they should not sell you this frame - please email us at info@ninerbikes.com or call us directly - 1-877-646-3792.

We appreciate our customers - how we demonstrate that respect is the best proof of our integrity as a company. Please do not hesitate to contact info@ninerbikes.com with further questions.
Correction, the LBS said the frame would be fine with a geared setup. He didn't say that he would sell it to me that way. Not looking to get the LBS reprimanded on a technicality. But thank you for the quick response, I hope Niner is able to get this issue rectified promptly. I really like your products and have been wanting the one 9 rdo for a while now. What is your recommendation for the best model as an alternative to the One 9 RDO for single speed rigid?

#9 ·
Just to be clear, gen 1 Air 9 Carbon CYA frames can be run as a singlespeed with our EBB (v1 or 2).
Air 9 RDO frames of any generation are absolutely not PF30 EBB compatible from any manufacturer, and the use of any such product on this frame will void the warranty. The carbon shell will crush, as it was never designed to withstand such forces.

#12 · (Edited)
I couldn't be more disappointed in niner. I have had two carbon SS frames replaced both with compressed bottom bracket both the older model. On the first one niner told me it was my fault and I ponied up money for a replacement. Then less then a year later the new one is bent again this time niner warranties the frame at there expense and sends me a 2014 model. I then replace a perfectly good white fork with a new niner fork so it matches the new baby blue frame. Now my third frame yes third frame is junk the season is starting and I'm left with yet another junk niner frame and a new carbon fork that doesn't have a home. So I'm into niner well over $4k And riding a frame that I simply don't trust.

#14 ·
Why should he? I would be angry if I were in his shoes as well. BTW, I am a very happy A9C owner, but the aluminum BB shell on my A9C is also deformed. This was not caused by torquing the EBB/EBB II beyond the indicated specifications; I have no idea why it happened. However, it does not seem to affect functionality of the BB. My EBB II is absolutely quiet and does not slip.

#15 ·
Spryip

I would warranty that frame the issue from my experience is the frame/ bb shell gets more warped over time. And eventually leads to a cracked carbon or bb shell. I agree it's the best riding geometry I've ever been on and the bike flies up hill especially with the rigid fork. But this is simply unacceptable. This is niners flagship bike and it's been riddled with problems. The AC9's bb shell is not designed properly for ss use. And they have passed the buck on to the consumer blaming over torked ebbs. Now their shipping bikes out the door with what seems to be zero quality control in production. So now owners of both the AC9 and the one 9Rdo are left with bikes that are time bombs and the only fix to the solution is months away that is if they can get it right this time.

#16 ·
Spryip

I would warranty that frame the issue from my experience is the frame/ bb shell gets more warped over time. And eventually leads to a cracked carbon or bb shell. I agree it's the best riding geometry I've ever been on and the bike flies up hill especially with the rigid fork. But this is simply unacceptable. This is niners flagship bike and it's been riddled with problems. The AC9's bb shell is not designed properly for ss use. And they have passed the buck on to the consumer blaming over torked ebbs. Now their shipping bikes out the door with what seems to be zero quality control in production. So now owners of both the AC9 and the one 9Rdo are left with bikes that are time bombs and the only fix to the solution is months away that is if they can get it right this time.
I would love to warranty the frame, but it was a gift, so I am technically not the original owner. It is frustrating because the deformed BB shell does prevent setting up the frame as a geared bike. That is, the BB shell deformed to the point that the screw bridge associated with the aluminum BB shell, which accepts the internal cable routing guide, bent and then cracked and broke off because it was inhibiting the rotation of the EBB. So, I am stuck having to use the bike as a SS. I agree that eventually the carbon BB that holds the insert will likely crack, but I really don't know what I can do about it. Again, I technically don't have the warranty. Sucks.

#17 ·
I would at least contact them and see what they could do.This is clearly a known problem on their end. At a bear min they should cover the bike for five years which they could base of the serial number. I'm done riding a bike from a company that I've had to replace frames from on a yearly bases.And which is worthless to sell because everyone knows that at some point the BB shell is going to fail. And niner only stands behind there product if your the original owner. I've never liked the eccentric BB it's a giant pain in the ass. And it's clearly their Achilles heel. Why they don't switch to a slider is beyond me.

#18 ·
Also, you can simply run full length housing externally on the frame and make a geared setup work. Just piggy back it on the rear brake line until it gets to the seat tube. Then, cross it over and run it down the drive side seat stay. Will probably shift better than 90% of the frames out there running the internal setup with that obnoxious cable stop in the BB.

#20 ·
I haven't been, but I called Niner; they told me to call my LBS.
I called my LBS, they asked for a SN# so they could start the process, and I've not yet heard back from them.

(Out of curiosity I took the EBB out of the frame, and the ripples/bulges in the aluminum BB insert are easily visible. It's going to be a creaky couple of months until the new frame arrives!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.