Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Thanks, do they have threaded bb30 BB's?
    Good ole' Race Face to the table, I think this is what you are asking...

Race Face
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Osteo, thanks.
    I emailed Niner, I read something about the air 9 carbon not being compatible with the ebb, and they said the bb shell isn't strong enough for it. Guess I'm going with the tensioner.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Osteo, thanks.
    I emailed Niner, I red something about the air 9 carbon not being compatible with the ebb, and they said the bb shell isn't strong enough for it. Guess I'm going the tensioner.
    oh really? Wow.. I wonder if that is the case with the RDO as well? Looks like I'm sending them a message as well... Thanks for the post, I'm sure this will be helpful info for someone else at some point.
    D

mtbr member
    Did some research on this last month. If your frame doesn't have aluminum in the bb shell, you most likely can't use an ebb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, I heard from Ralph (Niner Tech support) and he confirms with the RDO as well - the One 9 is the only one that will work correctly with the Biocentric II, may PM some of the guys that have the Air Carbons and see what they are using that are in this thread.

I asked Ralph his thought so n the Wheels Mfg unit, will see what he says but I'm doubtful. I checked the torque specs to compare and the Wheels unit is 8-10NM, the Biocentric II is 106inch/lbs. Not sure if those are the same... Will see if I can find a conversion online.

This will suck as I got a smokin deal on a rear wheel if I can't use it...

Google is your friend... 10NM = 88inch/lbs! Quite a bit less considering... Hmm...

Ok - Ralph replied with regards to the Wheels Mfg... He said 'no' still clamping forces that the BB is not designed to take...

D
    Last edited by osteo; 01-05-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Additional info.... Again

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ok, created a Poll - if anyone is subscribed to this thread and has either an Air 9 Carbon or RDO feel free to check out the poll and drop your answer.

EBB Poll

Thanks
    Dennis

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    One of the problems is that Niner made 2 different bikes and called both of them Air9 Carbon. I have two of the original models and run one SS and one geared. The hole in the frame is large enough for the Biocentric BB and there is an adapter to run geared. I think the new bike with the same name has a smaller hole that is made for a press fit BB. Niner has insisted that the new frame is not capable of being run SS with any kind of adjustable BB. The only way I know to do it would be to get one of those rear hubs that has an eccentric or to use an idler pulley. I think the ROS and the SIR are the only bikes Niner has left that are made for SS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One 9 RDO brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Niner a9c ss

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpg

Hello here is my single speed

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

Bliss.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_1464.jpg

First go around with SS. I love it. Simplicity brings happiness. It's light, fun, and makes old trails new again. My build started with the premise that $$ spent on a great set of carbon wheels will pay larger dividends than the same $$ spend on a super expensive frame. So I found an alum. frame on clearance and went to work. After many hours fretting on pieces and parts here is my build. As you will see, in my opinion the XT level of brakes is the "happy spot" as an additional $200 for Xtr seemed frivolous, and after riding the XTs they performed better than expected. Most importantly I am a "very satisfied" customer of Dave at SpeedDream wheels. The reviews are spot on, he communicates thoroughly prior to building, and then he delivers!

Weight: 20lbs with xt pedals.
    Niner One Nine frame.
    Niner Carbon Fork
    Nox farlow front- Teocalli rear. (Combined weight with tape: 1595 gms.)
    Industry Nine hubs (must they be "that" noisy - but I love the ability to "ratchet" through the nasty stuff)
    Kent Erikson Ti seat post (with an alum. frame the Ti post seemed like a perfect combo.- and it rides with plenty compliance)
    Niner carbon RDO bar
    Oozy 50 mm stem (did the math- originally concerned 50 mm would be too short - but with the 780 mm bar it feels just right, and climbing is no problem)
    Shimano xt-8000 brakes ( 180 rotor front- 160 rear)
    Sram GX 1400 cranks 170 mm (fits perfect 5-11 tall -minimizes rock strikes- and is very affordable, yet comparable in weight & performance to the other "blingy" cranks )
    Niner EBB 2 paired with sram gxp bottom bracket ( super easy to install - no creaks or slippage- just follow instructions - especially torque measurements!)
    Fizik saddle
    Esi grips
    8 speed Sram master link chain (wide & large - strong - lots of heavy pulling on SS - no problems)
    Chris King 19 tooth rear cog - surly spacer kit
    Ikon 2.35 front - Ikon 2.2 rear.

Notes: I started with the Ardent 2.4 front // Ikon 2.35 rear. This tire combo. felt Ok, but not great, as I am accustomed the light and responsive 2.2 Ikon on the rear. So I changed to the Ikon 2.35 front//Ikon 2.2 rear. The Farlow's 29 mm id makes the 2.35 plenty cushy and the Teocalli's 26 mm id is a perfect fit for the light and grippy Ikon 2.2. Gearing 32-19. This combo is great for everything but the "steep switch back" type stuff. I will probably get a 21 for the rear to put in my quiver when verticality necessitates. I originally wanted an Absolute Black Oval chainring, but after placing cranks I'm doubtful the 34mm portion of the oval will fit. Boo Hoo , I have plenty to work with for now. Just thought this might assist others in the SS building mode. Happy Trails.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    ...I'm doubtful the 34mm portion of the oval will fit. Boo Hoo , I have plenty to work with for now. Just thought this might assist others in the SS building mode. Happy Trails.
    Nice build you have there... I have the same philosophy about a heavier frame combined with lightweight wheels... (L-B 30mm hookless with DT240s.) AbsoluteBlack 32t oval fits my SIS 9 just barely. I even had to file some teeth a little bit from the inner surface of the ring to make it spin without touching the chainstay slightly. I was worried how it would work under maximum power, but so far I have not noticed any scratch marks.

I'm running 32 x 18 with 180mm cranks which is perfect for my long legs. The oval chainring helps a lot in the steepest climbs.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-23451835784_b963359195_h.jpg

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    If I were looking for a Niner SS with a tapered head tube and 142x12mm rear, this is what I think the available options are:

Niner One 9 ($$$$) Lightweight, designed as a race SS, with BioCentric BB.
    Niner Air 9 RDO/ Carbon ($$$) Lightweight, only viable with tensioner or eccentric hub.
    Niner Air 9 Alloy ($) Mid-Weight, Biocentric BB optional.
    Niner SIR 9 ($$) A bit beefy, comes with Biocentric, "Steel is Real".
    Niner ROUS 9 ($) Porcine, with Biocentric EBB, "Downhill Hardtail"

Am I missing any options here? Anything from prior years? I'm kind of stuck on the idea of supporting the through axel and the tapered head tube after riding the JET 9 for a little while so I'm not too interested in older frames right now.

I'd love a One 9, but the price just isn't there yet so leaning towards a SIR 9 or Alloy Air right now. The 2 pound gap between the SIR and the One is a pretty big gap though. :|

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    If I were looking for a Niner SS with a tapered head tube and 142x12mm rear, this is what I think the available options are:

Niner Air 9 RDO/ Carbon ($$$) Lightweight, only viable with tensioner or eccentric hub.

Am I missing any options here? Anything from prior years? I'm kind of stuck on the idea of supporting the through axel and the tapered head tube after riding the JET 9 for a little while so I'm not too interested in older frames right now.

I'd love a One 9, but the price just isn't there yet so leaning towards a SIR 9 or Alloy Air right now. The 2 pound gap between the SIR and the One is a pretty big gap though. :|
    Have you seen prices on the One 9 RDO frames lately? Around $1200

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One 9 all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Have you seen prices on the One 9 RDO frames lately? Around $1200
    Where? I'd jump on that. The best prices I've seen was around $1800 on "Clearance".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Seek out a nice 1st gen SIR.9.
    They are supposed to be a bit lighter than the 2nd gen.
    You'd have to prise mine from my cold, dead hands. It's a keeper.
    Nothing I've ridden feels as good.

mtbr member

You pretty much summed it up there, mate. Very succinct.
    The only thing is I have both a One 9 RDO and a Sir 9 and swap between the two bikes regularly. The 1kg difference between bikes doesn't bother me. Its noticeable but not a big deal. I also have an Air 9 and I'd ride the Sir over that any day of the week as it is more compliant.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Do you think the SIR is more compliant than the One 9? I've always thought carbon was more compliant than steel. I've never really been able to compare the two personally, just assumption on my part.

My last single speed lasted me 9 years so the durability and longevity of steel is a big draw.

mtbr member
    Do you think the SIR is more compliant than the One 9? I've always thought carbon was more compliant than steel. I've never really been able to compare the two personally, just assumption on my part.

My last single speed lasted me 9 years so the durability and longevity of steel is a big draw.
    Definitely.
    Don't get me wrong, the One 9 RDO is very comfortable and has some incredible controlled flex built into it. The SIR 9 has more flex more compliance.
    How I would describe the difference is the One 9 is a sharp, light, rocketship but surprisingly comfortable, even on long rides.
    The SIR 9 is a comfy, smooth ride which is surprisingly light and sharp.
    Two bikes coming at a similar goal but from opposite sides of the argument.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Where? I'd jump on that. The best prices I've seen was around $1800 on "Clearance".
    Niner ONE 9 RDO Carbon Mountain Bike Frame | Competitive Cyclist

Compared to buying an Air 9 alloy @ retail (even with a Jenson coupon) and a Beer EBB, it would have been a tough call to not go with the One 9 RDO at that price, had it been available when I bought mine (Official Niner Single Speed Thread)

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    Niner ONE 9 RDO Carbon Mountain Bike Frame | Competitive Cyclist

Compared to buying an Air 9 alloy @ retail (even with a Jenson coupon) and a Beer EBB, it would have been a tough call to not go with the One 9 RDO at that price, had it been available when I bought mine (Official Niner Single Speed Thread)
    Yeah, it's definitely a great deal. I need to wait until I sell another bike so hopefully it'll last a little longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-niner.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Finally finished, my cobbled together SS! and I can't believe I waited this long! for a time I debated on SS or a Fat Bike no debate this is awesome!

No rear brake as yet, the set of brakes came off the wife's bike and the rear is too short as I haven't been on the trails with it yet (still too wet here) it is fine as is.

I made my own pulley tension device seems to be working fine not that I scored the contact surfaces a bit.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_1576-l.jpg

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_1582-l.jpg

Before I built it I thought I might sell it as well, easier to sell a complete bike than a frame... nope, she's a keeper for sure!!

D

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Guess I'll join. Loved my SIR so much I got the ROS. Love the ROS so much I just sold the SIR. Been running everywhere I run my 5" travel bike and love the torture. I have been riding SS for 3 years on and off. Friends got back into it so Figured SET THIS THING UP SS TO JOIN THE FUN! Its a blast even as beef as it is but I like bashing jumping and playing when I can. Only downside is I can't go as fast as I want on the downs, otherwise love it. Never ran 32/20 but figured help me climb (32/19 or 34/19). Its a little to spinny but love it once ya break 15 miles. Summer maybe i'll go 34/20. Running Pike fork 140mm with 4 tokens. 50MM stem Renthal, 10MM Rise carbon lites, Reverb stealth dropper, 175mm cranks. Swapped to Specialized newer seat and under seat bolt in tube SWAT holder which is awesome. Along with all other SWAT tools so no pack needed. Just got my Roval Fattie Traverse SL wheels on and some nobby nics which im loving!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^^^ That is a friggin gorgeous ROS! Love that color! A buddy has one that he is building up in the same color, mad jealous!

Here is my new SIR, just put on the AB 32 and Surly 21 (only option available locally) and I have a 19 and 20 on the way way when the galactic backorder ends. A guy at the shop I picked up the 21 from said that 32x21 is what he runs in the area, so I am stoked to try it tomorrow. Ergon grips are also new, $14.50 or something at Pricepoint couldn't pass that up! The Ritchey Streem saddle has been comfy as well, very surprising.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3008.jpg
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3009.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3010.jpg

mtbr member
    ROS9

Edit: Updated wider rims and wider flatter bar Niner flattop 780mm
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-wp_20160715_12_47_21_pro.jpg

ROS9 Plus, purchased as 1x11 and rescued with a SS wheelset
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-wp_20160421_12_30_42_pro.jpg
    Last edited by socal_jack; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-13082507_1219014301442645_2948808270921189638_n.jpg

My Niner Sir 9 single speed. This is currently my most fun bike and the one I like to ride when solo trail riding. It is really a great ride.
    Last edited by latte1973; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    ROS9
    Attachment 1081977

ROS9 Plus, purchased as 1x11 and rescued with a SS wheelset
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160421_12_30_42_Pro.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	1081978
    Nice. Which one do you like best? One of these will probably be my next bike but I just can't decide which.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latte1973 View Post
    Nice. Which one do you like best? One of these will probably be my next bike but I just can't decide which.
    Sort of a horses for course thing, but if I had to go with one I think it would easily be the plus version for overall simplicity and fun factor. The only time it's not more fun is when terrain is fast and rocky/brake-check bumpy, the big tire in front doesn't make up for suspension entirely. For probably 90+% of the riding I do it's great though. Unmatched traction in sketchy/loose steep downhill-braking very confidence inspiring. The rigid steering is always tighter than a susser fork as well and the Dirt Wizards hook up amazingly well in the corners. The plus also opens up possible bikepacking opportunities as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here are my two. The wheels on the ROS will go back to the SIR when my new set for the ROS shows up, and I have a carbon bar and new set of grips for the ROS on the way as well.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3008-1-.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3153.jpg

mtbr member
    Just finished my ROS 9 build. At 26 pounds, it's a lot heavier than my One 9 RDO rigid SS, but it's a far more capable bike when the trail gets rough

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-20160810_171857.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just finished my ROS 9 build. At 26 pounds, it's a lot heavier than my One 9 RDO rigid SS, but it's a far more capable bike when the trail gets rough

Name:	20160810_171857.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	1087396
    Little bit lighter than mine! Nice looking build, I updated mine a bit since the photo above, not planning on changing much for a while. New wheels, new bars, new grips. Only thing that I have considered is a dropper, but I am still not sure my riding style would notice a difference.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_3198.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Little bit lighter than mine! Nice looking build, I updated mine a bit since the photo above, not planning on changing much for a while. New wheels, new bars, new grips. Only thing that I have considered is a dropper, but I am still not sure my riding style would notice a difference.
    Thanks!

I just almost ordered those same grips yesterday. Looks like a fairly close match in color.

Only have 1 ride on the ROS 9, and am undecided on the dropper. At times during the ride, it seemed like it was taking away the fun of the simplicity of the singlespeed, rather than adding fun like I've experienced with droppers on geared fs bikes.

Next ride I plan on using the dropper a little more and also throwing on a set of flat pedals. May also try to find a stem that will allow me to get the bars lower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks!

I just almost ordered those same grips yesterday. Looks like a fairly close match in color.

Only have 1 ride on the ROS 9, and am undecided on the dropper. At times during the ride, it seemed like it was taking away the fun of the simplicity of the singlespeed, rather than adding fun like I've experienced with droppers on geared fs bikes.

Next ride I plan on using the dropper a little more and also throwing on a set of flat pedals. May also try to find a stem that will allow me to get the bars lower.
    Red Monkey lock ons in green/purple. I dig em!

I would suggest giving flats a shot. While the old set of crank bros on there now isn't the best, it does add some confidence in really techy rocky stuff. I plan to throw a set of Spank Oozy's on there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

My First SS

Originally built my SIR 9 geared with a squishy fork, but soon fell in love with the simplicity of SS. So three months in and love it. Heading to SS World Champs here in Aus later in the year.
    Build is X01 Cranks with Direct Mount Sram 32 ring, running Niner 20t rear. Rigid Niner Carbon Fork, Niner Bars, stem and post. Project 321 SS specific hub on Stans Arch EX rims and Maxxis tan wall Ardent 2.4's, Guide Brakes.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-niner-ss.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-pink-niner.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyj66 View Post
    Originally built my SIR 9 geared with a squishy fork, but soon fell in love with the simplicity of SS. So three months in and love it. Heading to SS World Champs here in Aus later in the year.
    Build is X01 Cranks with Direct Mount Sram 32 ring, running Niner 20t rear. Rigid Niner Carbon Fork, Niner Bars, stem and post. Project 321 SS specific hub on Stans Arch EX rims and Maxxis tan wall Ardent 2.4's, Guide Brakes.

Name:	Niner SS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	1087528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pink Niner.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1087529
    The frame color I wanted for my SIR... although the silver is great as well. But man, something about a clean, white frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I really like the new colour schemes, and the silver is awesome. Just love this bike, and its the bike I ride most - heaps of fun.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9