Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Showing off its 29+ front

Posted this much earlier on but adding a pic of the latest incarnation...

My first gen SIR.9.
    Niner steel fork.
    Velocity Dually front with 3" Knard.
    18t White Ind freewheel & Goldtech Wobbly elliptical chainring.
    BB7 brakes.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-imag4084-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    Finally.... I've been building this setup for almost 2 months and rode it for the first time tonight. It sits just under 18 pounds with current components... worth the wait.
    Loving the colors on the One9 -- would like to see that color combo in the SIR and RIP.

mtbr member
    My latest -- 2nd Gen SIR 9. White / Gold. This is the 5th SS 29er I've owned and by far my favorite. Everything I loved about my 1st Gen SIR 9 plus so much more.

Niner SIR 9 - Med
    Arch 29er laced to Industry 9 Gold Hubs
    Ardent 2.4 FR / Crossmark 2.1 RR Tires
    Reba RL Solo Air 100mm Fork w/ Niner Stickers
    RDO Seatpost
    Fizik Tundra2 Saddle
    Thomson Stem
    Titec Pluto Carbon Bar
    King 20TSS Cog
    SLX Crank w/ 32T VeloSolo Gold Ring
    XT 785 Brakes

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_6329-1-.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-img_6333.jpg
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_6279.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike.

Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    My latest -- 2nd Gen SIR 9. White / Gold. This is the 5th SS 29er I've owned and by far my favorite. Everything I loved about my 1st Gen SIR 9 plus so much more.

Niner SIR 9 - Med
    Arch 29er laced to Industry 9 Gold Hubs
    Ardent 2.4 FR / Crossmark 2.1 RR Tires
    Reba RL Solo Air 100mm Fork w/ Niner Stickers
    RDO Seatpost
    Fizik Tundra2 Saddle
    Thomson Stem
    Titec Pluto Carbon Bar
    King 20TSS Cog
    SLX Crank w/ 32T VeloSolo Gold Ring
    XT 785 Brakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6329(1).jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	946920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6333.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	946919
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6279.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	946922
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Nice bike.
    Thanks Muzzanic!

mtbr member
    I'm just finishing up my Niner One 9 build and noticed that none of you install that little chainstay slap guard that Niner includes with their frames. Is it not needed? My current singlespeed is a conversion from a geared bike so I just left the chainstay guard on. With a properly tensioned chain (1/2" movement up or down) is there no way the chain can contact the stay? I'm guess no, seeing as you all have pristine looking chainstays and no guards.

my bike gained weight
    Yeah, SS bikes don't really need them things. I notice little spots of crap on my chainstay now and then. Maybe chain lube or grease or something mixed with mud flinging off the cog? It's hard to get off. But yeah no reason for a slap guard.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Niner includes it in case you want to run 1x10.

Tapatalk upgrade sucks. Be sure to rate this bloatware so they fix it!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    (repost from SS forum)

Maiden voyage today. Fantastic bike!

Niner One 9 hydroformed aluminum, Small
    RockShox Reba RL 100mm
    Bontrager/Vuelta wheels, Geax tires
    FSA carbon bar, Selle Italia Flite, Niner Seatpost, RaceFace stem, Truvativ Crank, Surley cog
    32x20 gearing

Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing it's around 23 lbs.

Very solid ride. EBB was creak-free, installed dry per current Niner instructions. Need to shorten the hoses, cut the steerer tube another 10mm, and get that god-awful, needless Pushloc thing off my handlebars. Might go with a longer stem but will decide after a few more rides.

At 5' 6" tall, the Small fit perfectly. I knew it would, having demo'd the Air 9 RDO a couple of years ago. That demo convinced me that, even at 5' 6" tall, I could be very comfortable on a Niner. That's not true for all brands. I demo'd some other brands 29ers that just didn't fit right. That all said, I still prefer my 26" bike but this is a great backup bike and a fantastic SS.

Felt very fast. Now I'm looking for a spring XC race with a SS over-50 category!

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_2361.jpg

my bike gained weight
    Good luck. Usually SS is just SS. You'll be racing against 25-year-olds. It's weird.

Nice ride. I bet it's under 23lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What year is your air9, I have the orange and black, but would love to pick up that color ~~ orange / alloy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxboy View Post
    What year is your air9, I have the orange and black, but would love to pick up that color ~~ orange / alloy
    Mine? It's actually a One 9 and it's a 2013. Bought it on Cambria Bike about a month ago. Looks like they still have that color combo (Tangerine/Raw) in Small, Large, and XL.

*hint* use online chat with Cambria to negotiate. I got my frame for far less than their sale price and got free shipping as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I Have a niner one with EBB however, the chain keeps loosening after about an hour ride, I torque the hell out of the hex bolt but still rolls back on me. Any suggestions??

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I Have a niner one with EBB however, the chain keeps loosening after about an hour ride, I torque the hell out of the hex bolt but still rolls back on me. Any suggestions??
    If you haven't done so already upgrade to their 2 bolt EBB and tighten to 12nm. If it still slips carbogrip is pretty good, but don't over spray or it will be tough to adjust.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So what you are saying is the 1 bolt ebb doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    If you haven't done so already upgrade to their 2 bolt EBB and tighten to 12nm. If it still slips carbogrip is pretty good, but don't over spray or it will be tough to adjust.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I haven't had much success compared to their newer 2 bolt and have replaced mine on the old scandium one9.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cool...Thx for the tip !! and the bike looks great !!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Mine? It's actually a One 9 and it's a 2013. Bought it on Cambria Bike about a month ago. Looks like they still have that color combo (Tangerine/Raw) in Small, Large, and XL.

*hint* use online chat with Cambria to negotiate. I got my frame for far less than their sale price and got free shipping as well.

mtbr member

Joining the Niner SS crowd

This will be the project over the winter and spring time, so do not expect it to be completed any time soon. Picked a a great deal on a NOS SIR9 frame and will be going fully rigid single speed.
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-sir91.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I also had trouble with the single bolt EBB. The 'Oateys' paste didn't seem to help a lot.

However, I've since upgraded to their double bolt EBB. I use a little carbo-grip & I've had zero issues since.

As someone else has written above, don't use too much carbo-grip, or it's too tough to adjust the EBB even with the two bolts loose.

I now have two SIR9's, one rigid SS & the other with gears & squish. I know the cost of upgrading the EBB is annoying + the cost of the carbo-spray, but it's worth it!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Here's my One9. I love it but am thinking about selling it to fund my recent RIP 9 order.

Has anybody tried to throw a trail stem on one of these? I'd really like to get the bike to be more playful/manualable and I think a shorter stem might help? Probably better would be a dropper post but that goes against just about every other decision made about how the bike was built (it's a hair over 20lbs as is). Worried about regretting getting rid of the thing but I guess I'll just have to see how much I'm impressed by the RIP. I feel like the only one on rides with a hardtail single speed anymore and while I can keep up and hold my own, it's doing a number on my knees and lower back.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Here's me riding it. After watching this again I dunno if I want to get rid of this thing. For fast flowy trails I really don't think I'd rather be on anything else.

my bike gained weight
    Come to Philly -- there are plenty of us on hard-tail one-gear bikes. The geometry of the One9 is such that a short stem might put you over the front tire in a way that is undesirable. It's an easy swap so you might as well try it, though. Get a cheap Dimension 50mm and if you like it, upgrade.
    As for the dropper, who cares about rules? Sure some purist will bust your balls, but you can laugh as you rip down the hill. It'll add a pound to your very light bike, but big deal. Get a haircut and don't eat that spaghetti. There are lots of ways to shave weight.

mtbr member
    Recent ROS9 build, really having a lot of fun on this. Handling blows away my RIP9(2010), may have to dump that frame.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-5724f5ab-7fbd-491b-b491-ec8c459945d3_zpsu3r8mcxl.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Cool bike.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Cool bike.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    19 lbs of ass kicking fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_2111-3-.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_2110-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Air9 Alloy, Beer EBB, buncha OE parts recycled off my Jet 9. Fun stuff, will probably pick up a Reba to lose a pound off the front end at some point.

mtbr member
    My SIR9 gained a little FAT this summer. Here's my SIR Fatty SS B+ Experiment... ride report to follow.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-fullsizerender-2-.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-fullsizerender-5-.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-fullsizerender-3-.jpg
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-fullsizerender-4-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Wow... I think this is my third contribution to this thread! Needless to say, I like Niner SS bikes

Have since tossed on some black ESI chunky grips, just didn't have them for the shakedown ride and the Ergons go on quickly

I'll post a pic with the matching blue carbon fork up when I get a chance.

Attachment 925924

Attachment 925925
    What did that end up weighing? Im building mine out very, very similar. Also, what seat post is that?

Thanks! And it goes without saying, but... Nice ride!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Really enjoying my new one 9. By far the best cornering and climbing bike I've ever ridden.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-20150825_171056-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Let's make it 3 in a row

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-ba_ss1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    "My SIR9 gained a little FAT this summer. Here's my SIR Fatty SS B+ Experiment... ride report to follow."

Hey there quelocotony, Really keen to hear how this project is going - I have just bought a Sir 9 and am running a Lefty, about to build SS specific wheels and thought 27.5+.

Keen to hear your thoughts. Are they 2.8's front and rear? Are you running SS specific Hubs?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Andyj66; 10-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I decided to give rigid a try

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So I am for sure buying a one9. Just do not know what size to get and bike has to be ordered. I am 5ft10in. Have a large cannondale trail 29 that seems to fit fine but rode a trek superfly in large yesterday and it seemed huge... any help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Comparing the geometry of the Cannondale and Niner, with particular attention to the reach and stack height is your best bet.

(I usually make spreadsheet that shows the differences)

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I am 5'10 and all my Niner's are medium and fit great. If you get a too large frame there is almost no way to make it work well for you. If you get a frame a little too small then you can use a little more setback and a little longer stem. Also, according to Niner's sizing chart you would be best on a Medium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thank you. Just wanted some input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickhepler2 View Post
    Thank you. Just wanted some input
    I'm 5'11.

I had a medium cannondal trail SL 29 SS and never could get comfortable on it. Rideable, but was just a little too small.

I have a medium niner air 9. It's rideable, but have to expose a lot of seatpost and it feels a little small.

I have a large niner One 9 RDO and it feels perfect with 80mm stem.

I'd recommend a large.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Niner recommends a large for 5 11 too, but he is 5 10.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Niner recommends a large for 5 11 too, but he is 5 10.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Well technically I'm 5'10.5

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_20151120_173520.jpg
    ross9

mtbr member
    My SIR 9:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here's my contribution to the thread. I absolutely love this bike. Not sure what the weight is, but I imagine it's below 20lbs. I'll throw it on a scale soon, just for kicks.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.40.51.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.40.37.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.42.01.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.40.17.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.30.16.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.30.07-hdr.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-2015-12-13-16.29.59.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    18.5 lbs of SS Nirvana, likely the best carbon SS machine on the planet!

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450652945.973007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shreddr; 12-30-2015 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty stoked... I had my Air 9 RDO up for sale after building up a Jet 9 RDO and finally said screw it, I'm going to build it up as SS (the Air)... No pictures as yet, as it will hopefully be complete by the spring, but I just made a sweet deal on an RDO fork! So frame, fork, crank, bars and pedals are done, I already have a rear wheel so shouldn't be too hard to find a front although if Santa decides to give $$ instead of presents then the front wheel will be next.

Think I may go with an Absolute Black SS Cog... Decisions, decisions!!!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just picked up a Air 9 carbon and I'm looking to make it a single speed. How do you get the chain so tight with vertical dropouts and no tensioner?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I just picked up a Air 9 carbon and I'm looking to make it a single speed. How do you get the chain so tight with vertical dropouts and no tensioner?
    You get one of these: Niner BioCentric II

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    As Dolface said... watch the video on the page (it scrolls through) it explains it. You will still need a threaded BB insert depending on your crank. For quite a while I thought all I needed was the Biocentric II till I watched the video and now it is clear as mud!

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, do they have threaded bb30 BB's?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast