Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-image.jpg

Here's my '11 One 9. I absolutely love it!

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock_z71 View Post
    This is an absolute beauty. Love everything about it.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    redrock - you make me wish I had got green instead of silver!

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    redrock - you make me wish I had got green instead of silver!
    Silver?! I thought they were red or white at the mo. Are you referring to the Moondust Gray from a couple years back? That's a cool color - just got the RDO fork in that color for my Lynskey Ti SS frame. It's gonna look sick...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Silver?! I thought they were red or white at the mo. Are you referring to the Moondust Gray from a couple years back? That's a cool color - just got the RDO fork in that color for my Lynskey Ti SS frame. It's gonna look sick...
    I was talking about the last gen Scandium frames. Mine is actually raw.

Bicycle Addict
    I just noticed the crazy wheels on that thing. Check out the spokes.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    May 2011

Definitely a nice build you got there but it's too clean! Haha.

I was watching a similar used twisted spoke wheelset with King SS hubs on ebay a few weeks ago. Those don't happen to be them by chance?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have one of those Scandium frames with the "cloverleaf" chainstays and it is still among my favorite all time frames. Also, I have to wonder how you put those twisted spokes into "spokecalc" when building a wheel?
    Small rant to follow:
    I have surmised from talking to Niner that they got away from scandium because even thou the scandium frames were lighter, the newer hydroformed frames (scandium is too stiff and brittle to hydroform) have many other advantages the foremost of which is that because scandium is stiff and brittle it can stress crack over time and the new designs can last more or less forever. I have had 8 Niner frames and the only one that is better and not be a lot is my One9 Carbon and the weight difference of the frames is not much either, just under a pound. These frames were the apex of a now old technology since barely anyone makes scandium frames anymore. And to design such a perfect frame by just bending and butting tubes and welding them together is amazing-good job Niner! Sorry for the rant, but believe me, these frames were something special.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Definitely a nice build you got there but it's too clean! Haha.

I was watching a similar used twisted spoke wheelset with King SS hubs on ebay a few weeks ago. Those don't happen to be them by chance?
    I pretty much wipe it down after every ride to keep it clean. lol It looks too nice to leave it nasty.

Yes these are them! Scored a very awesome deal on them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Also, I have to wonder how you put those twisted spokes into "spokecalc" when building a wheel?

These wheels were built by Arizona Bicycle Experts in Tucson, AZ. I'm not sure how they factored in the twists but they perform great and look fantastic! You may be able to contact them to find out though.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	988 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	797896

Beautiful build. Crazy wheels too!

I had me one of these last season (same color) and boy was it fun to ride. Couldn't justify having two SS Niners so I held on to my SIR 9 cause I'm old and slow.

mtbr member
    Any chance of Niner ditching the EBB and going with sliders?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Any chance of Niner ditching the EBB and going with sliders?
    I hope not.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Not a chance. The ebb is a better solution.

mtbr member
    Not a chance. The ebb is a better solution.
    +1

Briefly owned a Vassago Jabber with sliders and it was a royal pain.

I've had 2 Niners with the 1st Gen EBB and never had an issue using the Pipe Joint Compound application -- I've been running creak & slip free for over 2 years.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    If like me you want to take your chain off occasionally to clean or lube it you can do so without adjusting anything. Just drop the wheel to the bottom of the dropouts, reflip the QR, back pedal the chain off the rings, unhook the quick link and you are good to go. When you reverse this process, the chain will be perfectly adjusted and you didn't even have to take the wheel all the way off. Also, one of my bikes is set up as a dingle speed and again I can change the gearing without even completely removing the back wheel. Just drop it down in the dropouts, backpedal the chain to the correct rings, let the frame slide back down to the axle, tighten the clamp and go.
    Both of my bikes are set up such that the difference of 1 tooth on the rear sprocket works out to the BB being at 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock so I don't even have to adjust my seat when I change to the next sprocket. Just loosen the one bolt (the newer version has 2 bolts) stick the allen wrench in the drive side hole and use the crank arm to spin the ebb, tighten up and go.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Want some new wheels and have an Uno ring to go on but almost done.

Maiden ride tomorrow (just as the weather takes a turn for the worst boo)

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-20130524_162255.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-20130524_162306.jpg
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-20130524_162335.jpgOfficial Niner Single Speed Thread-20130524_162317.jpg

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666 View Post
    Want some new wheels and have an Uno ring to go on but almost done.

Maiden ride tomorrow (just as the weather takes a turn for the worst boo)
    Very nice indeed. Like those Ergon grips. Any thoughts on trying it rigid at some stage?

Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Very nice indeed. Like those Ergon grips. Any thoughts on trying it rigid at some stage?
    Cheers

I did ride my 26er SS rigid for a while when in its full weight weenie build (15.7 lbs ) but I like doing 40 -60 mile rides and it takes it's toll on my wrists which are not bad by any stretch of the imagination but at 34 I am mindful of keeping myself (and especially my joints) in good shape.

I love the look of the Niner rigid forks and I may get some for fun.

The ergon grips are a first for me, they feel pretty good but still tweaking the angle of them, these are again to help my wrists on long rides. I am loving my current set up as after decades of riding I have finally found just the right saddle and layout which is comfortable even after 60 miles or 150+ miles in a few days.

My first ride was marred by horrible wind (weather not personnel) so am going out in a bit now the sun is out. She rode silently with one creak turning out to be my packet of Jelly Babies and a click being my jacket zip (she was that quiet ), The shorter chain stays tucked the wheel in for climbing and the frame was very rigid slogging up the hills with no disk rubbing.

I am a tiny bit disappointed with the finish of the head badge / CF interface as it is a bit scrappy and also the person who put the helicopter tape on the down tube had dirty fingers so I have trapped black marks in the tape, minor things but not on a 1750 frame it isn't as it should be perfect!

The other niggle is the brake cable routing it sits to the side not under the top tube so on a SS where you slog side to side my knee kept rubbing the front cable clip causing a little scratch, I have rounded the sharp edges of the clip off so although it will still catch it should not be so sharp. Also the front cable clip is a bit far back from the head tube so the cable flaps about a little.

Still a fantastic frame and something you buy for love rather than common sense/practicality

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The secret to Ergon grips it to tilt them way more than you would think is correct. Somewhere around 30 degrees.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    roybatty666: Oh, and by the way, I am 58 and in addition to having almost the exact set up you have on an Air9C I have a Sir9 with the Niner Carbon fork and once I got the Ergon setup figured out, I have ridden it 45 miles several times (that works out to 5 laps at the place I ride) with only minor complaint from my arms and wrists.

The secret to Ergon grips it to tilt them way more than you would think is correct. Somewhere around 30 degrees.
    Cheers I will try them lower, I have tilted them down maybe 5-8 degrees but I have gotten blisters on the insides of both my thumbs and on my palms at the bottom of my little fingers after 70 miles of riding in the last 24 hours

Had a great ride today, I have really worked on my fitness recently and with the A9C I am really flying and hitting limits of traction in the corners (rather than my fitness) during my rides, and had my first off in years today as the back slid out and I held the drift almost rescuing it but ended on my butt with a big curved 29er tyre sized friction burn on one leg and a big old graze the length of the other after sliding for 6-7 meters, Importantly the bike was fine

I have knocked 2.5 minutes off my 15 mile "short" ride loop from changing to this frame with my old times on my Scandal being very consistent (within a few seconds) maybe it was the excitement of getting an A9C but that was a big amount of time to drop in a relatively short distance. The odd thing was it didn't feel fast, the time I beat was me going hell for leather on my Scandal and I earned every second I shaved off my time, on the AC9 it was a fun ride and I wasn't even trying.

AWESOME!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Tilting down; high at the rear by 30 degrees and they will be the best grips ever. Any other angles they are just like any other grips more or less.

Out in the wild and looking fast even when stationary

138 miles in 48 hours even did 14.2mph average over 50 miles today, smashed all of my PBs at various distances as well

Now to lose 1.5lbs off my wheels

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-20130526_091300_small.jpg

mtbr member
    my niner air 9

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast