Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    jrss13 - thanks mate, I try!

BigwheelsRbest - yep, it's the UK. In the lake district, near staveley. The first is on the left hand side of the kentmere valley and the other 2 are on the green quarter on the right hand side - both as you look up the valley. Give us a shout if you're in the area...

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanDobski View Post
    BigwheelsRbest - yep, it's the UK. In the lake district, near staveley. The first is on the left hand side of the kentmere valley and the other 2 are on the green quarter on the right hand side - both as you look up the valley. Give us a shout if you're in the area...
    Thanks mate - I wish I was in the area - that's a beautiful part of the world.

Fat & Single
    Still going hard on this frame nearly 3 years in and no thoughs of changing it anytime soon.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Ozzybmx; I have the exact frame with a Niner carbon fork and carbon rims, etc. Very close setup and I love it too.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    EnlOOow; the beer components adapters (they make a pf30 and bb30 type) work with any frame, but not all frames can work with them. Niner RDO frames specifically won't work according to Niner since there is only enough carbon in the BB area to support true pf30 type cranks and the adapters might cause a breakdown. Also, on a related note, I have the Beer pf30 adapter and it works on an Air9 frame, but not with a 3 speed crank (in case you are wanting to convert back and forth). The inner chainring bolts interfere with the adapter so it is only going to work on a ss or possibly a double setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just finished this One 9 build, hope to get out soon!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

One9

Stealth,with a touch of pink
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-niner-003n.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-niner-001n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Mulleticious
    ^^^ Holy cow! What is it and what does it weigh?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It looks like a One9 and I would guess 21.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Med one9 , 21 lbs by bathroom scale

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    It looks like a One9 and I would guess 21.
    You're a psychic!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I like the One 9 geometry and they seem to be comfy the longer you ride vs. othe SS's ive ridden. I used to oly rid emy SS for under 2hrs now with my One9 i seem to be riding in the 2-3hr range and not beatenup.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Official Niner Single Speed Thread-551508_4894423204053_1155562556_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've read a few posts on this, but figured I'd try to ask for more opinions. I'm debating over the One 9 and Air 9 Carbon, which is almost double the cost. Anyone tried both and can share why they chose one or the other? I've owned an EMD with magic gear and never felt beat up, but always thought about a SS-specific Niner frame w/ the Biocentric 2.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I own an Air 9 C and an Air9 (the newest versions) and an older version One9. The older One9 is Scandium and has the 4 leaf clover chain stays. It is almost as light as the Air9C. It would be perfect if it had a tapered steer tube in the overall scheme of things.

The Air9C and One9 are SS and I used light components on the Air9C and average components on the One9 and there is only 1 lb difference (shows how light that old scandium frame was). The Air9 is built up geared with not particularly light components. The latest Air9 is basically the same hydroformed frame as the latest One9 so I am basing my opinion on my Air9C vs my Air9 since my One9 is no longer relevant.

The Air9 is amazing in every way and probably one of the best rigid aluminum frames made. The main advantage of the Air 9 C is that it is lighter, dampens lots of vibration, and is flexible as far as setup. In my case the price difference ended up being around $750 due to the way I bought them. The Air 9 C is much easier to scratch than my black anno Air9. If you can afford the Air 9 C and appreciate the advantages then I would go for it. If your overall budget is limited and money not spent on the frame would go toward say "carbon wheels" then I would definitely go with the One9 and the carbon wheels.

I hope this makes sense with all the similar names and trying to use a new Air9 for comparison to a new One9.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post

I hope this makes sense with all the similar names and trying to use a new Air9 for comparison to a new One9.
    Thx! This definitely is helpful and makes plenty sense. Flexibility is really a non-issue for me since it would be solely for SS. When you mention the A9C scratches easier, it reminds me of one my biggest hesitations with not just carbon, but a relatively expensive frame in general. I'm not the most careful of riders, so it would be easier for me to swallow dinging/scratching up a lower cost One 9 than a $1600+ (depending on pricing i can find) frame. You also confirmed the weight difference is relatively minimal with the Niner aluminum frames compared to the A9C. My experience and belief is that the vibration can be minimized with high volume (2.4") tires and carbon goodies like handlebar, seatpost, etc., so the difference in that respect may also be minimal. That leaves one other area I'm curious about is the stiffness factor. Are the aluminum frames as stiff as the carbon? Will I get the same little to no flex feel while SS mashing and torquing down on those pedals. In other words, is the "power transfer" also minimal between the two frame materials? Sorry, if I'm probably getting really picky here.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The weight difference in the newer non-scandium frames is probably around 1.5 lbs whereas the older scandium frame was almost as light as the Air9C (for round numbers let's say 4, 4.5, and 5.5 lbs as an example). The power transfer differences are small. I can't really notice them since both bikes have suspension forks. If I ran them both full rigid I might be able to notice? The main difference of the old Scandium frame is compared to the newer models with much more massive head tube areas and tapered steer tube forks is in steering precision. I would say that all my Niners have had excellent power transfer except my older (1st and 2nd generation) Sir's and I think that is one reason the newer Sirs have the wider rear triangle to address that issue on steel frames. Hope all this helps.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I agree the vibration issue is minimal. I recommend getting a Cannondale Save seatpost (you will have to shim it for either frame) it is the number one thing you can do for comfort on any MTB.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good point about the older scandium frames being lighter than the newer AL frames. That makes the weight difference a little greater, but I'm not really a weight weenie either. Sub 20lbs would be the goal which I think is easily attainable with the AL frames. My EMD in SS with Niner Carbon fork was 20.2 lbs without really trying. Thanks for the tip on the Cannondale seatpost. I initially was thinking Niner carbon seatpost, or a Thomson masterpiece, but I'll consider that as well.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Niner seat post would be my second choice. Cannondale patented the squished carbon idea and it really works. Niner shapes the inside of their tube to have some flex in the right direction, but they can't get as much. Thompson posts ride hard but they are excellent quality and great customer service. They are my first choice on my full suspension Jet.
    The reason they switched from scandium is that it is brittle and they can't get the shapes they can from hydroforming the current alloys. It would be very hard to get the head tube stiffness of the current bikes with scandium without adding a lot of the same weight and since scandium is an expensive rare element a whole lot of cost. Also, scandium frames tend to have a relatively high incidence of stress cracking over time since it is so stiff and brittle. Those scandium Niners were about as good as it got back in the day of straight steer tubes, but as the breed improves, they are no longer the cutting edge.
    You should have no problems with your weight goals. I have a 2nd gen Sir9 with Niner carbon fork SS and not particularly light parts that is 21.72 with everything but me on it. My Air9 C SS with a Sid fork and light parts weighs 20.92. If I put the carbon fork on that frame it would be down in the 18's with all those light parts. Since the One9 frame is not 2 pounds heavier you should land under 20. My Air9 is built up with not particularly light parts as a more of on road off road bike, although I still ride it on the trails sometimes, (it even has a bell) and a mid level RockShox fork 27 speed pf30 to BSA adapter, etc., Flow wheels 800 gram wide tires and it still only weighs 26.57.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Kona Big Unit

Wanting to try the single speed 29er experience, I put a search on eBay for a Kona Unit. A Big Unit turned up last week, so put a small bid in to make it easy to find and follow.

Much to my surprise no one else bid and here she is. Super condition, really enjoyed my first rides on this lightweight flyer.

Fits me, 5' 10" and 18" frame, perfectly.

Brian

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Wanting to try the single speed 29er experience, I put a search on eBay for a Kona Unit. A Big Unit turned up last week, so put a small bid in to make it easy to find and follow.

Much to my surprise no one else bid and here she is. Super condition, really enjoyed my first rides on this lightweight flyer.

Fits me, 5' 10" and 18" frame, perfectly.

Brian
    Great bike Brian. Are you aware that you posted in a Niner SS thread?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My apologies. Thought niner was short for 29 er. Put it down to my advanced age, 62 and not giving up.

Brian

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    My apologies. Thought niner was short for 29 er. Put it down to my advanced age, 62 and not giving up.

Brian
    Haha! Not a big deal. This is where you want to be The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!
    Bearded Women Racing

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast