Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Also includes the latest Biocentric II.
    I want a niner SS bad, but will not buy a creaking BB and will not maintain it every month and a half. Is the Biocentric II supossed fix the issue?[/QUOTE]

I'm also hesitant on any bike with an slipping/creaking EBB, which is why I'm just using a Surly tensioner on an EMD for the time being. Supposedly this new iteration of their EBB disperses the stress points since there's two set bolts now. I guess only time will tell once people start trying it for themselves. Since I'm a fan of the new white SIR, I think its about time I just try it out myself.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    I want a niner SS bad, but will not buy a creaking BB and will not maintain it every month and a half. Is the Biocentric II supossed fix the issue?
    I'm also hesitant on any bike with an slipping/creaking EBB, which is why I'm just using a Surly tensioner on an EMD for the time being. Supposedly this new iteration of their EBB disperses the stress points since there's two set bolts now. I guess only time will tell once people start trying it for themselves. Since I'm a fan of the new white SIR, I think its about time I just try it out myself.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone have a link to info on the Biocentric II?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newportl View Post
    Anyone have a link to info on the Biocentric II?
    Copy and paste from the Niner email:

BIO-CENTRIC II BOTTOM BRACKET SYSTEM

The Niner Bio-Centric II makes adjustments easy across a wide range of gears and eliminates the need for adjustable dropouts, giving the cleanest possible solution for singlespeed use. No bolt on hubs, no chain tensioners cluttering your ride, no brake adjustments with gear changes.

Greater Range - The Bio-Centric II offsets the bottom bracket spindle 8.5mm from center, offering greater range of adjustment compared to a traditional EBB setup. More offset is a boon when changing gears without having to change chain length and it allows riders to make more noticeable changes to frame geometry via BB position.

Reliable Function - Traditional EBB units are held in place with set screws that can become difficult to finely adjust over time, or expansion wedges that can deform the bottom bracket shell of the frame. Split bottom bracket shells that clamp an EBB can stretch or ovalize. The Bio-Centric II avoids these troubles by using two bolts to apply a clamping force on the outside edges of the BB shell, eliminating the possibility of ovalizing or indexing the shell itself. Field tested for over 18 months, secure, quiet, easy to install and adjust, the Bio-Centric II will change your ideas about singlespeed drivetrain setup and maintenance.

Additionally, the S.I.R. 9 is now CYA compatible, enabling you to run almost any contemporary crank style in geared set up.

https://www.box.com/shared/static/d6...459d0a4a2a.gif

29ers Only.
    Greetings! Not to further hijack the photo thread, but we wanted to give you a bit more information about the Bio-Centric 2.

We are showing a prototype of the Bio-Centric II at Press Camp. It will be standard equipment on the new S.I.R. 9 frames when they reach dealers in September. At the same time we will be producing aftermarket Bio-Centric IIs and will officially launch them later this summer when they are in stock and ready to ship.

We have designed and tested the Bio-Centric II with the intent of improving the original design. We are confident that when installed according to the instructions, riders using the Bio-Centric II will not experience creaking or slipping.

Regarding not wanting to perform regular maintenance, EBBs are subject to incredible stresses and your local riding conditions may require regular maintenance to keep your Bio-Centric II free of contamination. For some folks that's two or three times a year, others might need to clean their EBB more frequently.

As always, if you have any questions just give us a call at 877-NINERXC!

Now back to more sexy singlepeed photos!

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great stuff Niner! Excited about the SIR news and my brother in law is excited about the new EBB for his older SIR.

BTW, I think most if not all of us in thread would agree this thread isn't specific to Niner SS photos. At least for me, I'd like to come back to this thread for anything Niner SS related, including pictures.

mtbr member
    Great stuff Niner! Excited about the SIR news and my brother in law is excited about the new EBB for his older SIR.

BTW, I think most if not all of us in thread would agree this thread isn't specific to Niner SS photos. At least for me, I'd like to come back to this thread for anything Niner SS related, including pictures.
    +1 AGREE. All things Niner SS related posts.

And yes, keep the sexy SS pictures coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Will the bio centric 2 bb be a warranty? Obviously the creaking is a manufacturing defect, correct?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Will the bio centric 2 bb be a warranty? Obviously the creaking is a manufacturing defect, correct?
    I would think so... or at the very minimum I would hope they would consider a trade in program for credit. The creaking has been an incredible nuisance from day one.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any info on the EBB 2 ?
    How is it different than the one on my 2012 One9 Alum ? , which BTW, works great.

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Of the Bio-Cetrics that slip or make noise, the majority are installed incorrectly. We have seen frames with grease, Ti prep, pine tar, baby oil, polishing compound, chainlube, wax paper and other mystery materials built up inside the EBB and have fixed these frames in 5 minutes by vigorously cleaning everything and installing the EBB properly with Oatey's or Carbo Grip. We can't over-emphasize the importance of following the installation instructions (in the Niner Tech Encyclopedia) carefully.

We do occasionally encounter a frame or EBB that just isn't correct and we are happy to replace those items under warranty after it's certain the installation is not to blame. This will continue to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please refer these questions to Brad and/or Mark in warranty support: 877-646-3792

How is it different? The Bio-Centric II is updated with a second bolt that distributes clamping forces across more of the shell and EBB lip. The B-CII will also be a bit easier to adjust with a hex insert for tension adjustment. The overall function and installation instructions are the same as the Bio-Centric. The original Bio-Centric is lighter by 13g (130g vs.143g) so many folks won't feel the need to switch.

We should have stock of them available for purchase in September!

Cheers, Carla, Brad and the Niner Team

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Moderator Moderator

Have time on both

At least for me, I'd like to come back to this thread for anything Niner SS related, including pictures.
    Agreed!

I've spent quite a bit of time on this bike, it's a totally different ride that my original 2005 orange S.I.R.9.

The new S.I.R.9 does have a "new parts" investment, but the technology the new Reynolds 853 top tube/down tube offers mated to the 44mm HT combined with the 142x12 rear and 15mm t/a RDO fork is a came changer in the steel single speed bike category. I'd suggest riding both back to back before inserting baseless and inexperience types of comments.

The best analogy I can come up with is like comparing an old school Porsche 911 to a new school 911. The original is retro and cool in an old-school kind of way. It floats a bit looser through the corners and has more of a "whippy" feeling through the rough stuff and g-outs (which I actually like a lot, many do not). The new S.I.R.9 is tighter, stiffer, has more precise steering and threads the needle with its technology upgrades while maintaining its awesome vertical compliance.

No problem with owning both of them in your fleet!

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-fulldusty.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-44ht.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-142maxle.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-coca.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-ebb2.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-maxledrive.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-evsir9.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-sir9full.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-porsche1.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_2949.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info and the comparison between the two versions of the SIR 9, 2mellow. Nice thread as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Thanks for the info and the comparison between the two versions of the SIR 9, 2mellow. Nice thread as well.
    +1. Thanks for showing us your dirty and well-ridden 2012 SIR, while some of us have to wait 12 weeks or so just to get a frame in our hands. Hehe.

@2mellow, what's the details on the Niner branded headset? I have the same Stylo crankset and pulled off that bashguard like on your Tang SIR. Looks much cleaner in my opinion.

Moderator Moderator

@2mellow, what's the details on the Niner branded headset? I have the same Stylo crankset and pulled off that bashguard like on your Tang SIR. Looks much cleaner in my opinion.
    It's a custom headset we are having made for us, including a little laser etching of our logo which we include with the frame purchase. Spec wise, it is very similar to the Cane Creek (note Cane Creek does not make the headset we are including with the frame) which is called a ZS44/28.8|EC44/40
    Last edited by 2melow; 06-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

One9 rigid

Here is my new (to me) One 9 with all new parts:
    [IMG]file:///Users/jessi/Desktop/IMG_0620.JPG[/IMG]

Niner carbon fork
    Arch EX hoops/DT Supercomp spokes/Hope Pro II Evo hubs
    Hope Skewers
    E*thirteen crank
    TRP Dash brakes
    loaded x-lite bars and grips
    thomson stem and seatpost (not pictured)
    CC 110 headset

Just over 19lbs

Love how this bike handles, I have a feeling there will be a Turner Sultan on the classifieds here shortly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_0620.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_0622.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_0623.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Agreed!

I've spent quite a bit of time on this bike, it's a totally different ride that my original 2005 orange S.I.R.9.

The new S.I.R.9 does have a "new parts" investment, but the technology the new Reynolds 853 top tube/down tube offers mated to the 44mm HT combined with the 142x12 rear and 15mm t/a RDO fork is a came changer in the steel single speed bike category. I'd suggest riding both back to back before inserting baseless and inexperience types of comments.

The best analogy I can come up with is like comparing an old school Porsche 911 to a new school 911. The original is retro and cool in an old-school kind of way. It floats a bit looser through the corners and has more of a "whippy" feeling through the rough stuff and g-outs (which I actually like a lot, many do not). The new S.I.R.9 is tighter, stiffer, has more precise steering and threads the needle with its technology upgrades while maintaining its awesome vertical compliance.

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Brett,
    Is that An XL or a L in the pictures above? If its an XL you better lock your garage..........I want that bike!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Of the Bio-Cetrics that slip or make noise, the majority are installed incorrectly. We have seen frames with grease, Ti prep, pine tar, baby oil, polishing compound, chainlube, wax paper and other mystery materials built up inside the EBB and have fixed these frames in 5 minutes by vigorously cleaning everything and installing the EBB properly with Oatey's or Carbo Grip. We can't over-emphasize the importance of following the installation instructions (in the Niner Tech Encyclopedia) carefully.

We do occasionally encounter a frame or EBB that just isn't correct and we are happy to replace those items under warranty after it's certain the installation is not to blame. This will continue to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please refer these questions to Brad and/or Mark in warranty support: 877-646-3792

How is it different? The Bio-Centric II is updated with a second bolt that distributes clamping forces across more of the shell and EBB lip. The B-CII will also be a bit easier to adjust with a hex insert for tension adjustment. The overall function and installation instructions are the same as the Bio-Centric. The original Bio-Centric is lighter by 13g (130g vs.143g) so many folks won't feel the need to switch.

We should have stock of them available for purchase in September!

Cheers, Carla, Brad and the Niner Team
    yeah, looks like I'll have to call Niner. Cleaned my thoroughly with rubbing alcohol (not beer), applied plumbers joint compound, and torqued to spec...still creaking like an old rocking chair. I'll definitely consider the BC2 once it becomes available.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member

Brett
    Niner Bikes

That is a gorgeous bike, Brett.

That White SIR 9 may very well be my next bike. Now I just got to figure out what to do with one of my other 3 Niners as the missus will surely have an issue with a 4th Niner in our already crowded garage.

Always a good day to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Agreed!

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Awesome bike!! I cannot wait for them to be available. I love that you have your daughter washing your bike for you.

mtbr member

bike rider
    Here is my Air 9 Carbon SS. All 13.91lbs. of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_0653.jpg  

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-img_0644.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

Twin Six METAL Team
    Here's a shot of my S.I.R. at Ridgeline Open Space just outside of Castle Rock, CO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Niner Single Speed Thread-sir_at_ridgeline.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome view & build!

29er zealot
    I gotta get out west again... The views here in the NC mountains are great, but not quite as cool as seeing snow capped peaks in June and July.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast