Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    In the area of the slit for the seatpost collar?
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExhaustPipe View Post

Got to get me one of those.

mtbr member
    like i said, its hard to see in that pic. it was about 1-1/2" long crack

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That is an unusual location. It must have been some kind of void during manufacturing.

mtbr member
    ive seen some that cracked on the front side, this was the exact same but on the back

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yea, the stress is greater on the front as the seatpost would tend to lever back and there would be pulling on the front, but the rear should be in compression and because of the stays, have a lot of material. To crack there, it would almost certainly have to be a manufacturing problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would like a newer SS set up for next season. I currently ride a Trek rig SS. Next season will be my third year of SS riding and racing. The one 9 looks interesting but from what I am reading you can use the, Air 9 or others. I have not interest in making the bike a geared bike. I have a set of I29 rims with SS hadley hubs. I think I will need new cranks, seat post, forks, headset. What other expenses would I incur switching to the niner frame? I am a little worried about the Carbon frame too? We are mostly flat in the midwest but I am aggressive and 190. Any thoughts? THanks,TJ

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Niner Biocentric II Installation on Vimeo

Niner have made an installation vid for their EBB. But... no Oatey's. Clean install?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    KimWoodsrider: the newest Niner frames have the dreaded 142 rear spacing. If you hurry, you can get an Air 9 Carbon (no longer in production) for $899 at Competitive Cyclist. This is the same frame that the SS world champion rode last year and the list price on the frame is $1899. Be sure to get the biocentric BB also since the frame comes with the hole only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Re: Official Niner Single Speed Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
    Sweet!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    KimWoodsrider: the newest Niner frames have the dreaded 142 rear spacing. If you hurry, you can get an Air 9 Carbon (no longer in production) for $899 at Competitive Cyclist. This is the same frame that the SS world champion rode last year and the list price on the frame is $1899. Be sure to get the biocentric BB also since the frame comes with the hole only.

Thanks for the heads up on the air 9 C. I am almost ready to pull the trigger. I am so tired of bolts slipping, chain slack issue and tightening after every ride on my rig. Does any other bike manufacturer use the EBB 2 in their frame design? Or is this only used by niner? I think the ebb seems like a great idea and the second version appears to work well for alot of riders? Also, I have never rode a carbon bike! For the extra cost of carbon over steel or aluminum, how much will the frame soak up the trail trash with a fox fork? not looking for miracles. Thanks. Lets say money it not an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    hmm clearance Air 9 Carbon, or highlighter yellow SIR9?!? I've always wanted to try carbon, but the threads about cracked A9C frames got me a little worried. I'm quite familiar with steel frames though, just not the SIR9. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    hmm clearance Air 9 Carbon, or highlighter yellow SIR9?!? I've always wanted to try carbon, but the threads about cracked A9C frames got me a little worried. I'm quite familiar with steel frames though, just not the SIR9. Suggestions?
    That A9C closeout looks like a super deal. Less than a new SIR9 frame, and you get a light and stiff carbon frame. However, if you really like the ride of a steel frame and don't mind the extra weight, the SIR9 is very nice. I have a 1st gen SIR9 frame and still like it a lot. They had a tendency to crack at the rear dropout, but mine is still going strong. The newer SIR9 frames don't appear to have that issue (that I know of).

Another steel frame that looks great is the Vassago Verhauen. Pretty much the same price as the SIR9, and also high-quality steel. It has rear sliders vs. the Niner's EBB, so choose based on your preference. I have friends who hate EBBs. My original Biocentric EBB was kind of finicky -- it tended to slip and needed constant adjustment and was difficult to adjust. I recently replaced it with a new Biocentric II, which I like a lot better. It hasn't slipped or creaked, is easy to adjust, and requires less bolt torque to keep from slipping.

Some folks hate that adjusting an EBB changes your seat-to-bb relationship and bb height. Others like that this allows some fine-tuning of geometry.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread-sir9-ss-new1.jpg

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have owned a first gen Sir9 and currently own a 2nd gen Sir9 and I also own an Air9C. If they still have any left, I would buy the Air9C for $899. It is about 2 lbs lighter than the Sir9 and also, you can use all your old parts. The rear spacing on the 3rd gen Sir9 is 142. Yes "steel is real" and the Sir 9 rides great, but while carbon doesn't flex as much (big hits are better with steel) it totally dampens a lot of chatter so the ride is a wash. The weakness of steel is that without making the bike very heavy (and it will be a lot heavier anyway) is that they are never as stiff in the steering head area and the carbon bike will steer much more precisely. Also, you would have a full warranty on the Air9C at this less than half price.

Their are basically 2 main sizes for eccentric bb's. Cannondale and others use the one size and Niner and others use the other. The Niner size is slightly bigger and I actually know a guy that had a Biocentric machined down to fit in a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. 2013 Air 9 C vs 2014 One 9 RDO?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Hi, this a great tip. Thank you. I'm curious to know what are the major differences between the 2014 One 9 RDO and this frame though (besides the rear spacing and the location of the rear brake mount). Niner says in their website that they "optimized" the design. They also list the weight of the new frame as 1,235 gr (supposedly lighter than the 2013 Air 9 C?). If money was not an issue, which one would you get?

Thanks!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well considering the price of the Air9C is $899 and the other frame is around $2000, I would have to be in the $1 billion club before I would not consider this price difference. I am sure the new frame is a little lighter since carbon keeps improving. I will never know since I refuse to support the 142 rear triangle. The only bikes that I see it being a benefit to would be a steel hardtail. Aluminum and carbon bikes if properly engineered get little or no benefit and it raises costs for everyone because of changing wheelsets or buying wheelsets that are convertible and the parts to convert, etc. And if the industry was going to all the trouble to give us this new standard, why did they not go with 145 which is a standard in the tandem world and also moves the chainline out so you can make stronger wheels. Instead they give us a different axle and the same chainline so the wheels don't get any stronger just the axle area which in my opinion is plenty strong already. Anyway, sorry for the rant but I think you know which frame I would buy. My frame and biocentric weighed 1380 (medium) so if their weight is with the biocentric then the diff is 145 grams if it is without the biocentric them probably 20 grams. If you really don't care about money and you want the latest thing then you should buy the new design.

Another factor is that the Air9C will have a higher resale value due to the fact that you can run it with any drivetrain made. Used SS only frames generally do not do that well on ebay compared. But if you don't care about the cost you probably don't care about the resale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thank you very much for the quick reply & useful info. I do care about the money and that's a big difference. I just wanted to isolate the technical side and money side of the discussion.

I'm just about to complete the purchase in Competitive Cyclist and I'm trying to decide on a fork. Any suggestions? For context, I intend to start racing XC (again), SS. I did that 2 years in a Superfly SS with the G2 geometry Fox 80mm fork, and I liked that. I also have a 2010 Niner Air 9 Al/Scan with a 100mm Fox 32 FIT 15QR and I've used the extra travel on occasions.

Thanks a lot!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I would go with 100 mm travel. I have both Fox and SRAM forks and both are good. The Fox's tend to have better small bump compliance but are, all things else equal easier to bottom on the big hits. The Fox's seem to need a little more maintenance. I always used to like the SRAM's a little better, but I really like my latest Fox Float 29 32 with FIT. I have never owned a G2 fork so I can't help there. Also, all my SRAM's are dual air and I have not ridden the newest single air SRAM's. Also, the Fox's I tend to like better on SS bikes because the lockout on Fox's can be an almost total lockout an the SRAM's even with the flow gate turned up still have a little travel (which I do tend to prefer on geared bikes). So, while I would recommend you get your preference in forks, If I was buying a new fork for a SS project like yours I would go with the Fox FLOAT 29 32 with fit in 100 mm or whatever this year model equivalent is.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    As far as the 100/90/80 fork length thing goes, the manufacturers for the most part make 100 mm forks and then put a spacer in the leg to space it down to 90 or 80. An 80 mm fork gives quicker handling and 100 slightly slower because it increases the rake and also raises the center of gravity. I have had a fork that was spaced to 90 and sent it in and had it unspaced to 100. When I got it back, I felt the slower steering so I increased my sag by lowering the air. Then the fork rode more plushly, had longer negative travel on takeoffs/landings, and steered almost as quickly. I liked it much better.

To explain this let's start with a 100 mm fork. If you sag it 20% in normal riding you will be 80 mm from the stop (80 mm travel left on average). IF you shim it down to 80 and sag it 20 % you will only have 64 mm of travel left from the sag position. If you would have lowered the pressure in the 100mm fork such that you sagged it 30% you would have 70 mm of travel left. Close to the 64 of the 80 mm fork so almost identical handling but a much plusher ride and when you go over a jump, your wheel will contact the ground 20 mm sooner (the fork is 20 mm longer when extended) and so you should land much softer overall and you will have 6 mm more compression travel on average too (although you will burn through it faster since you are running less air pressure, but not as fast as you might think since you will still have to push oil through the dampeners for that now longer distance).

Bottom line, always get the 100 mm and sag it on the high side like 30%.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks again. Fox Float 29 32 FIT with CTD & remote control it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great explanation. Thanks. I will play with this once I put the bike together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. Size check Air 9 C, M or L?

Sorry for all the questions. I didn't want to miss on this deal (Air 9 C @ Comp. Cyclist) so I ordered the frame, size L, but now I'm having second thoughts (I should be able to change my order if I do it by Mon morning). I'm 5'10", right in the middle of the Niner recommended height range for an M. My 2010 Air 9 Scan is M and with a 110mm stem and Niner flat bar is OK, although sometimes I think the cockpit is a bit small/cramped. My Superfly SS is a 17.5 (M), with very similar dimensions. However, I used the sizing app that Competitive Cyclist has and the range of measures I got (for XC riding) were well within the L range (e.g., TT 24.7 to 25.1"), so I went with the L.

Has any one used this fitting app from Comp. Cyclist? If so, how the recommendations turned out to be? (approx. right or out of whack?) Alternatively, what size are guys (or gals with 5' 10", 32.5" inseam and regular build using for XC racing?

Thanks a lot.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Never used the Competitive Cyclist app, but I am exactly 5' 10' and very happy on a medium with a Niner Flat bar cut to 690. I tend to have long legs and short body so I am using an 80mm stem and lots of a 400 mm seatpost, but the stem is flat with only 10 mm spacer so low. Before I bought my first Niner I rode a L Jet and a M Jet and while either would work ok, the M felt much better. Also, only rarely an issue when you are standing in a low spot, but crotch clearance is about half an inch better on a medium. If you can't change the order, you will be fine, but if you can, I would. If you have normal position, you will use less seatpost than me and your seat will be further forward so you will need a longer stem than me like 110. On a large, you will use less post than I do and probably about 80-90 stem.

Bicycle Addict
    I'm 5'10 with a shorter inseam and the L air 9 carbon fits me really well. I use a 90mm stem on it.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast