Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    29er addict

OFFICIAL: JET9 Picture and Setup Thread

Please post pictures and set up of your JET 9's

My name is Shawn and I am a mechanic at Wheeler Dealer Bicycles in Oklahoma City. The Jet has just hit dealers and I would like to see pics of yours. Here are a few pics of my Jet that I finished today. No dirty pics yet, we had a ton of rain yesterday and a tornado or two so it will be a bit till I get to ride. I am running Sram XO shifters, R der, XTR F der, Truvativ Noir crank, Thomson seatpost and stem, Salsa carbon bar, Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes, Sram pg 991 chain and cassette, Mavic Crossmax tubless with Hutchinson Python tires took lots o stans to get to hold, probably weighs as much as a tube but oh well, King headset, Fizik gobi saddle, Candy Sl pedals, Rockshox Reba SL. I even went as far as to install Jagwire cables and black aluminum cage bolts. Can you say OCD. Bike weighed in at 26.5 but I didnt think it was that bad because my Surly KM weighs 27. Hope you enjoy and please post yours.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Last edited by shdown75; 05-08-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add title

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Just finished mine

I'm still waiting on the correct fork (black Reba U-turn), but the rest of the build is complete. 26.85 lbs as it sits right now. Don't see it getting any lighter.

I've ridden it around the driveway and down the street. All the trails are wet down here right now. First impressions..... tight steering, suspension handles out of the saddle sprints REALLY well, and I didn't even come close to clipping a toe on the front wheel doing tight turns in the drive (and I was trying to clip a toe). Front end felt light when trying to manual and it struck me that it was pretty quiet for a full suspension ride.

Build:
    Medium Licorice Jet9

Acros headset (boy is it smooth!)
    Acros ceramic bottom bracket
    FSA K-force light carbon cranks
    FSA carbon setback seatpost
    FSA OS99 stem
    FSA carbon bar
    Sram XO triggers
    Avid Juicy Ultimate 185 F&R
    Sram matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    Shimano XT chain
    I9 wheels (red hubs, black spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops
    Maxxis Igniter tires setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    Fizik Gobi custom color saddle - red and black
    Salsa red QR skewers
    ESI silicone grips
    Crank Brothers eggbeater pedals

Last edited by kstine71; 05-10-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Superflying on Haven

Good job! A potential winner of the 08 BEST of MTBR...

-Main purpose: XC racing and riding full speed ahead
    -Trail location/terrain: Eastern Canada (rolling hills, rocks, roots, single track etc)
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 08/Medium/Black
    -Rider Weight: 175
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 5'10"/33"
    -Stem (length/rise): Easton EA30, 105mm, 6 deg negative, no spacer underneath.
    -Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm silver
    -Handlebar: Raceface RIDE XC lo-rise 605mm
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 135psi, fastest rebound
    -Fork: Reba Race 100mm travel
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 135/125 pos/neg. fastest rebound.
    -Brake Setup: Avid Juicy 7, Hayes Rotors 160mm.
    -Drivetrain Setup: 3x9 FSA V-drive cranket, Shifters SRAM X-9. front Deore, rear SRAM X-0, Cassette PG-991 11-34T
    -Saddle: Selle Italia Signo
    -Tires: Bontrager Jone XR 1.8
    -Wheels: C29ssmax
    -Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
    -Build Weight: 26 lbs

-Future Changes: Xpedo Mag/Ti pedals
    -Comments, etc: Fast like a HT but comfortable like a FS. Flickable. Quick uphill. I was sceptic about it and thought it wouldn't be much different from the RIP but WOW I was so wrong ! Nevermind its weight and try this speed weapon. You will see the light. This bike is really XC racing oriented and wants to go full throttle. Congratulations to Niner !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Menzo; 05-22-2008 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Gotta hand it to you, I don't have the nerve to run tires that are that skinny. What did your build weigh in at?

29er addict

First ride and dirty pic

The Jet is very fast as expected, but what I didnít expect was how smooth and efficient it is. The bike pedals great with no bob or flex and at 200 lbs I expected a little. The Jet is an efficient climber, steers quick and precise and is oh so smooth. The only 29er I can really compare it to is my Surly KM and after ridding the Jet, I felt like I have been riding a beach cruiser for 2 years. I work at a shop and we carry other brands of 29ers but the Jet certainly kills the competition. Bottom line the Jet is extremely fast, handles great and is very smooth. If you get a chance to throw a leg over one, do it, you wonít be disappointed.
    Bike set-up:
    145psi positive and negative
    160 psi rear shock
    35psi in both tires
    Trail was tacky, a ton of exposed roots with a few mud holes
    I also think the bike is so fast that mud does'nt stick to it, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Two things

Is anyone routing the rear der cable on the inside of rear triangle?

The top bottle mount bolts are not even close to center line of the down tube. It makes my bottle cage noticable off center.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    no, I routed them just like everyone else. The little cable holder widget seems to be working pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    The top bottle mount bolts are not even close to center line of the down tube. It makes my bottle cage noticable off center.
    This is probably a good thing, my large bottle barely fits as is.

IMBA and XTERRA Junkie

Smile JET9 added to my Niner Stable

My Jet9 arrived at The Bike Lane in Burke Virginia early last week. Loren at the Bike Lane built it up with the following spec:

Fox F29 Fork
    Full XT Build Kit including Hydros, Cranks,FD and Shadow Rear Der
    Hope Hubs and Headset
    Thompson Seatpost and stem
    Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Handlebar
    Stans Arch wheels with Maxxis Ignitors and Stans sealant
    Time ATAC pedals and Bontrager saddle for now Fizik Gobi XM on order

Niner Jet 9

I really like the way the cables are routed vs the Rip9.

Closeup

I bought the RIP9 last year to race in the National XTERRA series of off road triathlons. I finished 2nd in the Mid Atlantic Region and qualified for the Nationals in Lake Tahoe. My RIP9 arrived the week I placed 5th in the Nationals. I raced the RIP at XTERRA World's in Maui finishing 10th. The RIP absolutely rocked at World's and I passed a bunch of people both on the up hlls and downhills of the 20 mile course.

Since I primarily race XTERRA MTB Courses I wanted to have the Jet9 instead. A good friend of mine bought the RIP9 frame from me and I ordered the JET. Since it was not going to ship before the end of April, I bought the MCR9 and put all my parts from the RIP on it.

Scud's Niner Bikes

The MCR hadles almost as well as the RIP so I expect to ride it as much as the Jet for just leisurely XC riding. I took the MCR to my first XTERRA Race of the season last week and it it totally rocked. I was almost last out of the swim but thanks to the MCR's handling I passed all the people in 55-59 age group and hung on in the run to take 1st place and 40th overall. I cannot remember going so fast downhill over rocks and roots. I can only imagine what the Jet9 will do.

As soon as the trails dry out I will test it out. My next race in the 1st weeknd of June on a very rooty course.

Stay tuned

Scott Scudamore
    IMBA REP Washington DC Metro Area
    XTERRA Ambassador Mid Atlantic Region
    The Bike Lane Elite Race team member
    Last edited by mtbmore; 05-13-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Superflying on Haven
    I did it but the cable was rubbing against the front derailleur. No more rubbing with the outside routing.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Good job! my green monster

The awesome crew at Venture Sports (Brian and Fish) got the build together on friday the 05.09.08. It snowed the 10th (still rode 20 miles in the afternoon) and have averaged about 15-20 a day. (have about 60 miles) The bike just straight up flies. I am a big dude and I think it is the most comfortable bike I have ridden. The build kit I chose was to hopefully support my heavy ass and it seems to be working. The DT Swiss rims are a little concern to me, I wanted the CrossMax (to those who have them... what do you think?) I might be changing???? They do flex a bit but only noticeable on down hill fire roads and big ring road sprints. The bike loves Single track. I also am impressed on how you can just stand and pound like a hard tail (other bike is a SS 29). Should be a great race bike and all day epic ride.

One issue i can see, but not a biggy, is mud clearance. That first ride was muddy and the mud did build up, but I think that is a tire issue more than a frame issue. It is usually dusty here not muddy so I am really not too concerned.

I do love everything about this bike... IT IS RAD! (even the green!)

DT Swiss CenterLock Adap tor*Converts to 6 bolt*
    Crank Bros EggBeater SL Pedal
    Deore XT M770 175mm 4arm Crank 22-32-44 w/BB
    SRAM 08 X.0 Medium cage rear derailluer
    XT M771 Trad Dual-pull Multi clamp Front Der
    SRAM PG990 9spd 11-34 cassette
    SRAM PC991 9spd chain Silver/Silver
    Avid 08 Juicy 7 185mm frt disc brake Graphite
    Avid 08 Juicy 7 160mm rear disc brake Graphite
    SRAM X.0 Trigger shifter set
    DT Swiss Front 29'r 700c CenterLock X470
    DT Swiss Rear 29'er 700c 135mm CenterLock X470
    King 1-1/8" NoThread Blk
    Thomson 30.9 x 410mm Blk seatpost
    Salsa Pro Moto Flat Bar 31.8 17dx710mm Blk
    Thomson Elite x4 110 90 degree
    WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle Black NiCro Rails
    Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 Blk Folding
    Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 Blk Folding
    Manitou Minute 29 (120)

IMBA and XTERRA Junkie

mud clearance

I too noticed that mud might be an issue withthe Jet9. I had a little of it with my RIP9 but not a problem with the MCR. I did see someone fabricate a mud guard for the RIP9 out of a piece if old inner tube. I could only see doing that for a race that has to be run when it is muddy. Training rides and just fun rides I stay off muddy trails in general.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Jet9's RP23 air pressure settings

I noticed that Menzo posted 135# of air pressure @ 175# rider weight.

Couple of questions:
    1. What is everyone else setting theirs at and for what rider weight?
    2. Menzo, what made you go so low on the air pressure?
    3. Anybody see recommended air pressure anywhere from Niner? I looked on the web site and didn't see anything, and my frame didn't come with any sort of manual.

I thought the old rule of thumb was air pressure equals rider weight for the RP23. The fox online manual indicates various sag measurements as the way to go, but I didn't see anything specific for 3.1" of travel.

Thanks!

29er addict
    Couldn't find a set up guide for the rear shock. Nothing came with my frame except the CD. I used 80% of body weight as my starting point. As a mechanic I have used this many times on customers bikes and usually come out golden. Specialized has the sag gauge and it was right on when I compared it to setting the rear shock at 80%. Try it as a starting point and then tweak to your liking.

mtbr member
    Give www.foxracingshox.com a try, they have all the set up info you should need...

MTB B'dos

Nope...........

......not with that leverage ratio it ain't Try somewhere around 70-80% geared weight, or about 15-20% SAG depending on how you like it to ride. Set SAG with Pro Pedal off.

Quote Originally Posted by kstine71
    I noticed that Menzo posted 135# of air pressure @ 175# rider weight.

Couple of questions:
    1. What is everyone else setting theirs at and for what rider weight?
    2. Menzo, what made you go so low on the air pressure?
    3. Anybody see recommended air pressure anywhere from Niner? I looked on the web site and didn't see anything, and my frame didn't come with any sort of manual.

I thought the old rule of thumb was air pressure equals rider weight for the RP23. The fox online manual indicates various sag measurements as the way to go, but I didn't see anything specific for 3.1" of travel.

Thanks!

Superflying on Haven
    Menzo, what made you go so low on the air pressure?
    Anybody see recommended air pressure anywhere from Niner? I looked on the web site and didn't see anything, and my frame didn't come with any sort of manual.
    I used the Suspension Set-Up Tips of the RIP9 on the Niner web site and instead of 2/3 of my riding weight I set the air pressure at 3/4 (roughly 135 psi). Here is the link, there is a nice table and good explanations. 135 psi is 77% of my rider weight which is not low pressure, according to me, Kstine71 ?

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rip9suspension.html
    For the RIP9
    160-180 lbs = 120 psi
    180-200 lbs = 135 psi

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the feedback on the rear air settings folks.

Menzo, if using the RIP9 settings as a starting point then I can see why you set your pressure the way you did. I had set mine up to 185# of pressure with 185# rider weight and I liked the feel of the bike.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going outside of the mechanical limits of the rockers by having to much air in the chamber.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Has anyone tried a 100mm fork or is everyone using the 80mm recommended by niner- I have a frame on order and will post the build once it gets built up - (waiting for #2 production run) - I read where some believe the RIP is better with a bit longer travel fork than recommended and wondered if there was any thoughts on this for the Jet. I will predominantly be riding XC but have some longer enduro races scheduled this summer - and thought that the relaxed geometry might be nice - but did not want to adversely effect the ride - any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Good job!

i have a 120 manitou minute... and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!
    the front end stays planted nicely on the steepest climbs and bomber on downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm running a 100 mm Fox and couldn't be happier. I raced it this weekend and it ripped through the technical singletrack; I don't feel I've lost any maneuverability or handling quickness with this setup, just gained a little extra plush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

The first JET in Israel

The first Jet in Israel

MTB B'dos

Hope

Nice, so I see in your profile you also have a RIP9, have anythoughts about the two?

Quote Originally Posted by erang
    The first Jet in Israel

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

The Jet is much faster

and give you the feel of racing!!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Small Jet

Pics to follow.

-Main purpose: XC and All Mountain riding.
    -Trail location/terrain: Western NY. 1000ft + climbs, then down...repeat. Fast XC too.
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 08/Small/Black
    -Rider Weight: 200
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 5'9"/31"
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson, 100mm, 0 deg negative, 10mm spacer underneath
    -Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm Black Setback
    -Handlebar: FSA K-Force Riser 630mm
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 150psi, still no bottom
    -Fork: F29 100mm
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 80psi. 4 clicks rebound
    -Brake Setup: New XTR Front Rotor 180mm, rear 160mm.
    -Drivetrain Setup: New XTR, Shifters new XTR Dual Control. front updated version new XTR, rear new XTR RR, Cassette new XTR 11-34T
    -Chain: SRAM
    -Cables: Nokon
    -Saddle: Fizik Gobi
    -Seatpost clamp: Syntace
    -Tires: Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2. Stans juice. 31psi front, 33psi rear
    -Wheels: I9 custom. Heavier Stans rim rear. Ti rotor bolts. New XTR skewers
    -Pedals: Shimano new XTR
    -Grips: ESI race
    -Bottle bolts: Ti
    -Build Weight: 26.3 lbs

Future- Will try the lower offset Reba dual-air. Also attempting to install 20t front on new XTR. Bike is quick and requires attention. Feels plush. Fastest FS 29er I've ridden up hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

... and if we just ... Here's Mine

The fastest I have ever gone on a bike - was on this Jet! Greenhorn trail - sawtooth mountains.
    Jet1.jpg

I started with leftovers from a GF 292 - like the Reba Race, handlebars, stem, brakes etc. I replaced the crankset with XT, added XTR pedals, thompson seatpost, Sram 9 derailer and chain, nice red Chris King headset and most importantly an Industry 9 wheel set (red hubs and black spokes) with Stans ZTR running Maxxis Ignitors tubeless. Weighs in at about 27 lbs - very respectable I thought.

Jet3.jpg
    Jet2.jpg

Jet4.jpg

I didn't read about the "recall" on the pivot arms until after I got back from pounding the hell out of the frame in Idaho - good thing nothing came apart on me! I had no issues with the frame at all - except in keeping it form going out of control from too much SPEED (wore out a set of brake pads!)

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast