tune strangler seatpost clamp
    tune uni wasserträger
    weighs in at 26.0 lbs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33537785@N07/3125938006/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3353778...n/photostream/

MTB B'dos

Hope

Is that weight on an accurate scale? Just curious 'cause from reading the build it "sounds like" (I don't dabble in that type of stuff) you used a lot of weight weenie/expensive stuff and still only managed 26lbs Bike does look damn nice though

Quote Originally Posted by phil_rad
    my jets build;
    large frame, black ano
    reba race
    full xtr group
    ztr 355 rims
    dt revolution spokes
    red dt aluminium nipples
    xtr hubs
    schwalbe racing ralph 2,25 tires
    tune bobo headset
    ritchey wcs carbon stem 100mm
    syntace duraflite bar
    tune barends
    extralite grips
    extralite ul seatpost
    slr carbonio seat
    tune uni wasserträger
    weighs in at 26.0 lbs

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Is that weight on an accurate scale? Just curious 'cause from reading the build it "sounds like" (I don't dabble in that type of stuff) you used a lot of weight weenie/expensive stuff and still only managed 26lbs
    Same question here. I am starting to doubt my own 23.6lbs Jet, which did not have some of the WW stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thats a good question. It was weighed at my local dealer and he has an official looking scale, i'll ask him if its accurate. The frame isn't very light, it weighs 6.39 lbs, according to a kern scale.

MTB B'dos

Exactly my sentiments...........

........................on all these super light weight builds that are being reported

Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Same question here. I am starting to doubt my own 23.6lbs Jet, which did not have some of the WW stuff
    Thats a good question. It was weighed at my local dealer and he has an official looking scale, i'll ask him if its accurate. The frame isn't very light, it weighs 6.39 lbs, according to a kern scale.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    now you guys got me thinking, maybe the scale that i'm using is off, i hope so! but then,whats in a number? the rides great no matter what it weighs.

banned

I built mine with a more durable build

but the parts are by no means heavy. I am running a 2X9 now with FSA cranks and a bashgaurd. I still haven't weighed it but I am still guessing around 26-26.5. I am riding a large but I just don't see where you could possibly get another 3 lbs off this bike.

I never gave a ride report because I was waiting to give an accurate report since my fitness was in the tank from being off the bike for 2 months. I have since seen my fitness recover and I can without a doubt say that this is the only bike that I like better than my maverick. I thought the maverick did everything well but the jet does it all even better. The feeling that I got with the maverick that the rear wheel seemed to be driven deeper into the ground when climbing is even more noticeable on the jet. I have mentioned in other threads that the propedal is useless, I mean the suspension design pedals so well that the bike feels like sh!t when it is turned on. As far as decending, it feels as though it has a lot more travel than 3.1 inches and tracks *almost* as quick as my scalpel did. I ride mostly in pisgah which is pretty technical and rocky so my only reservation about the bike is durability. I wonder if maybe the RIP9 would be better suited for the type of terrain here as far as long term durabilty. Either way, I will be on a RIP9 or Jet9 for the forseeable future. Absolutely wonderful bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruso414; 12-28-2008 at 10:34 AM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    my jets build;
    large frame, black ano
    reba race
    full xtr group
    ztr 355 rims
    dt revolution spokes
    red dt aluminium nipples
    xtr hubs
    schwalbe racing ralph 2,25 tires
    tune bobo headset
    ritchey wcs carbon stem 100mm
    syntace duraflite bar
    tune barends
    extralite grips
    extralite ul seatpost
    slr carbonio seat
    tune uni wasserträger
    weighs in at 26.0 lbs

If that thing truly weighs 26lb then BB needs to get his divorce papers written up to get down to the weight he is hoping for, and I have just wasted hours agonising over parts for no good reason.

MTB B'dos
    Something's wrong there Either his is waying more than it really does or the other builds are being weighed to light. I don't think BB is that bad a weight weenie and will settle for the few additional changes he mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    If that thing truly weighs 26lb then BB needs to get his divorce papers written up to get down to the weight he is hoping for, and I have just wasted hours agonising over parts for no good reason.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Always Learning
    No divorce papers yet. The Excel spreadsheet does not lie - but you have to know the exact weights of each part. Since my bike is apart at the moment and the components are trickling in, I have the luxury of weighing each individual part before doing the build. One's total on the spreadsheet may be off a little bit in either direction, but certainly not by a 1/2 pound or more. I'm including sealant, but not the weight of grease. So grease and teflon tape around the BB will alter the weight slightly as will final housing length cut.

I'll make my non-divorce, sub 25 weight or else!!! I've got a few options to get me there (lighter pedals, lighter saddle, lighter brakes, lighter wheels, lighter bars, lighter BB, lighter rings, etc...). If the finances are in shape to do the divorce build - it would be a fun exercise, that's for sure.

I would venture to guess Phil_rad's size L JET may not be the 26lbs as the shop scale said. It might be more in the 25.x category. Then again, those Racing Ralphs, the XTR cassette, the Ritchey stem, the bar ends, hubs, etc... all are areas where there are lighter part options or choices available.

Excel spreadsheet - weigh each part and plug and play until the numbers approach the target. I'm currently at 24.45 on the non-divorce build and 22.67 with the divorce build. And the 24.45 includes my Avid mechanical disc brakes, rotors, pads, adapters, housing, cables and levers. And then one makes preference decisions that may - pardon the pun - "outweigh" the lighter part choice.

The divorce build can't happen until the Formula R1's and the NoTubes ZTR race wheels hit the market in 2009. And we really don't have final weights of either of those products - so the target area of 270 grams (plus IS adapters and bolts) for the R1's and the 1400g final weight "guesstimate" by the NoTubes.com staff on their message boards for the 29"er ZTR race wheelset remains to be seen.

But that's all moot. A 24 - 25 lb. XL full suspension 29er is a win-win.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I have parts flying to me from all over the world at the moment (including the frame and the gram scale to weigh it all on) .
    Some of the stuff I have looked at I am sitting wondering whether it is worth the additional $. Xo vs X9 is a good example of this when the cost is so much more for the X0 just to save 10g or so.
    I also have to wonder whether a $15 ti bolt kit will save the same amount of weight off the X9 derailleur as spending $200+ for the X0?!?!

But maybe I am posting these thoughts in the wrong forum!?!?!?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I have parts flying to me from all over the world at the moment (including the frame and the gram scale to weigh it all on) .
    Some of the stuff I have looked at I am sitting wondering whether it is worth the additional $. Xo vs X9 is a good example of this when the cost is so much more for the X0 just to save 10g or so.
    I also have to wonder whether a $15 ti bolt kit will save the same amount of weight off the X9 derailleur as spending $200+ for the X0?!?!

But maybe I am posting these thoughts in the wrong forum!?!?!?
    I don't buy XO for that very reason, but I DO buy Ti bolts. Not to save the weight really, but to have non-corrosive bling on the whole bike for less than the cost of an XO derailleur. Ti bolts last and look great forever, I have some that have probably been on three or four different bikes and I just keep transferring.

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Search around on the Internet and you can get the X0 RD for under $150.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Search around on the Internet and you can get the X0 RD for under $150.
    Sorry
    $200 Australian.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Ready JET9

Okay, it's basically ready. Still waiting on a 36t chainring but I got everything else installed. Not sure about weight but I am guessing 27-28lbs based on other builds. EDIT: Pleasant surprise, it's just over 26lbs (about 26.3?) finished. I was looking again at other JETs and I guess I don't know why I initially thought mine was going to be heavier.

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JMH; 01-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice bike!

MTB B'dos
    JMH, that's a really nice looking JET9 Pity the black Minute's aren't available retail - although easily solveable with a fork strip and some good matte black spray paint. What's the primary use for this bike, trails or do you race? Just asking as they're much faster rolling tyres you could put on it if you're racing - personal favourite is the maxxis CrossMark, for weight to grip to rolling resistance.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice JMH.
    I like it a lot.
    Makes me want to take the day off work and "finish" mine (until my new wheels are built anyway).

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    JMH, that's a really nice looking JET9 Pity the black Minute's aren't available retail - although easily solveable with a fork strip and some good matte black spray paint. What's the primary use for this bike, trails or do you race? Just asking as they're much faster rolling tyres you could put on it if you're racing - personal favourite is the maxxis CrossMark, for weight to grip to rolling resistance.
    Thanks for all the props!

This is the only 29er in my stable of bigger bikes. I will use it for epics down in the Utah desert this spring and then fast XC rides in Park City during the summer. Honestly I only selected these tires because my old Ignitors were clapped out, it was time for new rubber and this is what I had in the garage.

It may get more varied use depending on how well it works for me as a trail bike. I currently prefer with the way a 26" wheeled 6" bike rides on my favorite terrain, but we'll see!

Some of these pics show the rides I love on my 29er (had an Orbea Alma 29) and some of the other terrain that I prefer on kiddie wheels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7604770517145/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7604421677441/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7607674294769/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7606806524382/
    Last edited by JMH; 01-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.

MTB B'dos

... and if we just ... Definitely need some tyres

First up let me say - Really looking forward to reading your impressions/thoughts on the JET9 riding in that terrain.

Definitely if you're planning on doing some racing, I'd seriously consider some new rubber and if you'll be using the JET9 for that other riding or at least trying it def some new rubber. My recomendations would be a Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT for the aggressive stuff and Crossmark REAR/Ignitor FRONT for the racing. I've run both these combos for exactly what I suggest them for and was super happy with each. Used the Rampage R/Nev F combo this summer in CO doing the Monarch Trail 35 mile route including Rainbow Trail. I even ran the Rampage in the fast/forward direction and no traction issues. For most of the visit I ran the Crossmark R/Rampage F. Raced (rode is more accurate, as I was just trying to survive) the Crossmark R/Ignitor F combo at both Leadville and Laramie. All this on my 31lb RIP9.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Thanks for all the props!

This is the only 29er in my stable of bigger bikes. I will use it for epics down in the Utah desert this spring and then fast XC rides in Park City during the summer. Honestly I only selected these tires because my old Ignitors were clapped out, it was time for new rubber and this is what I had in the garage.

It may get more varied use depending on how well it works for me as a trail bike. I currently prefer with the way a 26" wheeled 6" bike rides on my favorite terrain, but we'll see!

Some of these pics show the rides I love on my 29er (had an Orbea Alma 29) and some of the other terrain that I prefer on kiddie wheels.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    First up let me say - Really looking forward to reading your impressions/thoughts on the JET9 riding in that terrain.

Definitely if you're planning on doing some racing, I'd seriously consider some new rubber and if you'll be using the JET9 for that other riding or at least trying it def some new rubber. My recomendations would be a Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT for the aggressive stuff and Crossmark REAR/Ignitor FRONT for the racing.
    I think that once spring rolls around I will be looking at those combos, I really like the Ignitor, and I have nothing but Nevegals on my 26" bikes, so I am pretty fond of those as well. These Bonestranglers will work for photos.

What did you think of Rainbow Rim? I think I was expecting something a bit more rugged, I had the wrong bike for sure, wished the whole time I had a 29er hardtail.

24-36-48
    Another one on the trails in the european alps (Hometown: Munich, Germany):

Frame Size L
    Shifter: X0
    Rear Derailleur: X0
    Front derailleur: not yet mounted
    Crankset: Stylo
    Stem: Thomson Elite
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Pedals: Ritchey
    Wheelset: Will be ZTR Flow/Hope 2/WTB Exiwolf - at the moment it's not the final one
    Fork: Fox F29, 80mm
    Bar: Bontrager Select
    Saddle: Flite - the old one
    Headset: Chris King
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185/185

Folks: I love it
    Last edited by ellen_muenchen; 01-23-2009 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi ellen_muenchen,

Great looking bike and build, can't wait for mine to arrive.

I'm wating for my XL JET to arrive and it was a difficult choice as I was sort of in between sizes at 6'3". Can I ask what the BB to the top of the saddle height is, as your looks quite high? I'll have mine set at about 83.5cm.

24-36-48
    Hi Timmoth,

mine is set somewhere between 80.5 and 81.5...

Ellen

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Ellen, helps me to come to the conclusion that my maybe my XL will probably be the right size.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast