Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    I think you should go for it, definitely not too much silver on the spacers, nah you wouldn't have to switch them out, the black compliments the frame nicely as the silver does also - nice to have comliments both for and aft.

Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    but I was afraid that it would be too much silver, plus I would have to change out the black spacers inbetween the red ones for silver ones. Thanks for the compliment, I am taking it out sunday for the maiden voyage, I will post a ride report sometime sunday night.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

MTB B'dos
    Guess I didn't see your reply to my post earlier, just saw it when the post was active again.

How does a light bike feel crappy? Easy when they get super light they tend to be very harsh and bouncy from all the hard, light weight stuff that hasn't got the ability to absorb/dampen. This to me is not fun having to try and control a bike just so I can say it's "X" weight.

Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    ....huh? you can think whatever you want, but my current 22 lbs hardtail has been raced hard and hasn't seen any break down issues. parts will take more abuse on a hardtail than on a full sus bike. I didn't even have to spend that much or go to excess to meet my wieght/strength goals.

a jet9 just under 24 lbs is very reachable. under 22 lbs would be a trade off or very very expensive to do. i would be happy to get as close as possible to 24 lbs and use the rest of the money on trips or other bikes.

btw..... how does a lighter bike make it feel "crappy ride/feel"?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    So are you gona strip everything off the Sugar BB? I know that if you go weight weenie on a built it's normally fairly far out there, but, you do not go over the top with stupid expensive for 25g type stuff. Not sure what the Sugar frames weigh, but the XL JET9 is somewhere around 6.75lbs as far as I remember from reading, so with "your" sort of build I think you could easily hit 25.5lbs, getting below 25lbs I think would cost quite a bit and would be a bit on the questionable side reliability wise. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

As to the fork, if it were me I would definitely have to go with the newer Rebas, greater offset and stiffer chasis. I just made the move to a Manitou 120mm TA and it's huge how much better it feels, the precision in the steering is just fantastic - I like tech so this realy is what I look for. I'd consider going for the QR version and then use a DT RWS on it to help stiffen it up a bit more.
    Yup, I'll take the goodies off of the Sugar 293. I'll have to weigh the Sugar frame once I have it all stripped. I don't think I've ever weighed the Sugar without any components on it, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 6.75 - 7.x weight range for my XL. So it sounds like my JET will be about the same end weight in the 25.41 - 26.2 lb. range depending on tire choice as is.

But I may have something up my sleeve to best that. First, I need to get the frame and take a look at it as well as play around with some options. One more full week of teaching and then it is semester break so I will have some "tinkering and thinkering" time.

BB

Bicycle rider

Good job!

This is my first 29er and my maiden ride was the first time riding one on a trail. All I can say is why did I wait so long to get a 29er When riding the Jet9 I feel like I am cheating or something because the effort to climb and clear obstacles is ridiculously easy compared to my 26 Cannondale I truly can’t explain it but all I have to say is if you haven’t ridden a 29er go try it and see what I am saying

This is a Niner build. My frame is a medium. Here are the specs.

-Fox F100 RL 100mm
    -FSA Orbit 1 1/8" Sealed Cartridge Bearing headset
    -Race Face Evolve Seatpost, 30.9 x 350mm
    -Stans ZTR Arch Rims, 29er rim, disc only, 32H
    -WTB LaserDisk -WTB LaserDisk Superlight, 32H, Sealed Cartridge Bearings, alloy axle, 9-speed, 135mm
    -Double Butted 14/15G, w/ RED ALLOY NIPPLES 14x12mm
    -Sram PC-971 Chain, 114 Link w/ Gold Power link
    -Truvativ Stylo 3.3 TM cranks, 22, 32, 44 front crankset for 68mm bb shell.
    170mm for small, 175 for m/l/xl
    -Sram PG-970 11-34 cassette
    -Shimano XT FD-M771 front derailleur, 34.9 clamp dual pull
    -Sram X-O medium cage rear derailleur
    -Sram X-9 shifters
    -Jagwire shifter cables
    -WTB PureV Race SL saddle
    -Race Face Evolve stem, 31.8 Clamp diameter 70mm S, 90mm M, 100mm L, 110mm XL
    -Niner Flat Top9 bar, 710mm width, 31.8 clamp, 9 degree bend
    -WTB Weirwolf grips
    -WTB Prowler tires
    -Juicy 7 front brake
    -Juicy 7 rear brake
    -FSA bash guard

I weigh 150 lbs and have a 29.5 inch inseam. I currently have the Rear (RP23) set at 90 psi and the Front (F29 RL) set at 70 psi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ExigeS; 12-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Welcome to the Club, the Koolaid tastes fantastic doesn't it I think most people who first try a 29er feel that they are somehow cheating, it just rolls over, up, down stuff so easily. Just be careful though, they are very dangerous and can cause some serious "oh ****" and such moments from carrying more speed than you're accustomed to, through areas you wouldn't even normally consider.

As to your shock PSI, I think that maybe you might have it a bit to high for your weight. I say think as I don't own a JET9, but a RIP9 and for my 180-190lbs geared I run around 100-110 in my RP23, although this is for a nice plush feel and could go 120 prob if racing. Fork I cannot comment on as I've never used a Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    This is my first 29er and my maiden ride was the first time riding one on a trail. All I can say is why did I wait so long to get a 29er When riding the Jet9 I feel like I am cheating or something because the effort to climb and clear obstacles is ridiculously easy compared to my 26 Cannondale I truly can’t explain it but all I have to say is if you haven’t ridden a 29er go try it and see what I am saying .................................................. .................................................. ...............................

I weigh 150 lbs and have a 29.5 inch inseam. I currently have the Rear (RP23) set at 90 psi and the Front (F29 RL) set at 70 psi.
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    After months of agonizing over parts for my Niner Jet9, it finally showed up yesterday in all its glory.

And here is the part list:

Final weight according to digital scale: 23.69lbs

Initial riding thought: Priceless

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Looks great! Congrats.

Waiting for Godot
    Hey Lynx,

flafonta built his jet9 almost exactly as i will be doing mine, cept for different seatpost, rims and cranks.

so mine might even be a hair under his.

its not about having a certain weight. its about have a light weight bike that is mo' fun than a heavy bike.
    since i race and am not a youngster anymore, i appreciate most atvantages that i can get.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    its not about having a certain weight. its about have a light weight bike that is mo' fun than a heavy bike.
    I am not sure the bike will make me faster, and that was not the point.

But it does "feel" a lot lighter than my 27lbs Mojo. It is more fun to ride a light bike. Much easier to get air and control the bike in the air (with my limited skills).

jceahodges

Jet9 vs. Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    I am not sure the bike will make me faster, and that was not the point.

But it does "feel" a lot lighter than my 27lbs Mojo. It is more fun to ride a light bike. Much easier to get air and control the bike in the air (with my limited skills).
    Hey Flafonta... Very nice build. Mine will also be very similar.
    Last edited by jceahodges; 12-06-2008 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jceahodges
    Hey Flafonta... Very nice build. Mine will also be very similar. You mentioned having a Mojo... so do I... Can you give some ride comparison thoughts between the two bikes? I'm dying to know that I'm making a good decision going with the Jet. I'll bet there are other Mojo owners who are pondering the same decision too, so your feedback would be greatly appreciated by many! Thanks in advance.
    jceahodges, please post your question over to the 29er forum under my thread there. I am planing to provide more input into the overall Jet9 review and comparison with the Mojo. But I don't want to pollute this Jet9 picture thread.

Thanks everyone for the good words on my bike. It is lovely so far.

Always Learning
    Not sure what the Sugar frames weigh, but the XL JET9 is somewhere around 6.75lbs as far as I remember from reading, so with "your" sort of build I think you could easily hit 25.5lbs, getting below 25lbs I think would cost quite a bit and would be a bit on the questionable side reliability wise. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
    It's official, my JET 9 XL out of the box frame weighs 2920g (6.43lbs) with water bottle bolts. Excel spreadsheet is up and running and I'm like a mad scientist running all the numbers to see what I can come up with for the target. My new seatpost has arrived as well, so it won't be long now to get the build going...

XLJET9

BB

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Originally I said it was going to weigh about 25lbs. Unfortunately the shop scale was off a full pound so it's right at 26lbs. Still quite happy with that:

Specs:

Med Niner Jet Frame
    Fox F29 100mm Fork
    Wheels – Stans 355 Rims Yellow Rim Tape Valve Stems/XTR Hubs/DT Comp Spokes Red Nipples
    Maxxis Crossmark Non-Tubeless 2.1 Converted
    King Headset Silver
    Salsa Post Binder Silver
    Formula K24 Brakes 180mm Rotors
    Full XTR Drivetrain
    Easton EC70 Low Rise Bar 31.8 26"
    Thomson Masterpiece Post 30.9x350 W/Setback
    Thomson Elite X4 Stem 31.8x90mm 10 Degree Flipped
    Ergon GX1 Grips
    WTB Rocket V SLT Silver/Black Saddle
    Rider 5'10" 34" Inseam 155lbs 110psi Rear Shock 75psi Fork.

Just a touch over 26lbs.
    Last edited by tigerwah; 12-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Well that's good to hear BB, and it jogs my memory the RIP9 XL was about 6.75lbs and the JET XL 6.4lbs - old age is a biatch. All I remember was the JET9 frame was at most a 1/2lb lighter than the RIP9 once produced compared to almost a 1lb lighter in proto form. I bet you'll build that up to somewhere smart around 25.5-26lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    It's official, my JET 9 XL out of the box frame weighs 2920g (6.43lbs) with water bottle bolts. Excel spreadsheet is up and running and I'm like a mad scientist running all the numbers to see what I can come up with for the target. My new seatpost has arrived as well, so it won't be long now to get the build going...

XLJET9

BB
    LaFonta very nice build, really nice Like how the red ano on the Ultimates matches the red ano on the frame Going 1x9 really must have saved you some weight dropping the FD, cables and shifters - Did you calculate how much? I'd guess prob saved you around 3/4lb. If you're really weight concious cutting the steerer and droping those spacers from untop the stem would prob loose you another 15g Bet Oilcan would do it in a heart beat, since him being so old and needing all the help he can get an all
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    LaFonta very nice build, really nice Like how the red ano on the Ultimates matches the red ano on the frame Going 1x9 really must have saved you some weight dropping the FD, cables and shifters - Did you calculate how much? I'd guess prob saved you around 3/4lb. If you're really weight concious cutting the steerer and droping those spacers from untop the stem would prob loose you another 15g Bet Oilcan would do it in a heart beat, since him being so old and needing all the help he can get an all
    I never calculated how much I was saving with going 1x9. I was assuming arround 3/4lbs as you said.

I am planing to cut the extra steering tube, but waiting for my setup to be fully dialed in. It is hard to make it higher after it is cut

And I would not be doing it for weight saving, but for look (and security?).

MTB B'dos
    Oh yeah, no need to question the security factor there, keeping the jewels safe is top priority I try to keep as little non needed steerer/spacers ontop the stem. Figured you were still dialing the stem height and the reason for the extra steerer

I never calculated how much I was saving with going 1x9. I was assuming arround 3/4lbs as you said.

I am planing to cut the extra steering tube, but waiting for my setup to be fully dialed in. It is hard to make it higher after it is cut

And I would not be doing it for weight saving, but for look (and security?).
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Always Learning
    Well that's good to hear BB, and it jogs my memory the RIP9 XL was about 6.75lbs and the JET XL 6.4lbs - old age is a biatch. All I remember was the JET9 frame was at most a 1/2lb lighter than the RIP9 once produced compared to almost a 1lb lighter in proto form. I bet you'll build that up to somewhere smart around 25.5-26lbs
    I'm in the 24.x lb. range on the Excel spreadsheet with the "smart" build (that would be the non-divorce settlement build).

I'm at 23.2 lbs on the Excel spreadsheet with the "guaranteed to cause a divorce" build.

BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm in the 24.x lb. range on the Excel spreadsheet with the "smart" build (that would be the non-divorce settlement build).

I'm at 23.2 lbs on the Excel spreadsheet with the "guaranteed to cause a divorce" build.

BB
    BruceBrown, can you share your build with us? That way we can criticize it before you pull the trigger.

Always Learning
    BruceBrown, can you share your build with us? That way we can criticize it before you pull the trigger.
    Many parts are on my bike and in my parts bin, but here's the divorce build before I pull any triggers. Keep in mind the ZTR race wheels won't be available until Feb/March and I didn't include a water bottle cage or the sealant weight.

But - it looks light for an XL....

JET 9

Edit: Anyone alerting my wife of the the above build will bear sole financial responsibility for all divorce attorney costs associated with said bike. ;-]
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 12-09-2008 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    here is my xl jet9

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Always Learning
    Yup, I'll take the goodies off of the Sugar 293. I'll have to weigh the Sugar frame once I have it all stripped. I don't think I've ever weighed the Sugar without any components on it, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 6.75 - 7.x weight range for my XL. So it sounds like my JET will be about the same end weight in the 25.41 - 26.2 lb. range depending on tire choice as is.
    The challenge increases. I stripped the Sugar 293 frame and weighed it. 2675g without the rear disc brake adapter needed for the older Trek/Fisher frames, and 2720 with the adapter and bolts. Wow, that's 200g less than my new JET 9. And my fork just went up to 1810g from 1750g because I will be running a 2008 Reba with the Pushlock and a longer steerer tube as opposed to my 2006 Reba Race non pushlock and 1" shorter steerer tube for the 100mm setting. So, I've got to make up those increased 260 grams in this build to even things out.

But I was surprised the XL Sugar frame was only 2675g. Not bad. I guess the Hope Mono Mini Pros would make up that 265g over my Avid mechanicals and levers....

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-03-2009 at 02:56 PM.

MTB B'dos
    All right Bruce, this is the first and last time I'll tell you this........I told you so Seriously it's time you open up your own thread and stop filling up the setup thread with pics of the build EVEN out in the snow.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

JET 9 New Build

Here' my new build @ 25.2 lbs

Medium Jet 9
    Fox 29 100 RLC
    XTR 975 Dual Control Shifters
    XTR 970 Crank
    XTR 975 Calipers
    XTR 970 Front/Rear Derailur
    XTR 11-34 Cassette
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Thomson Elite Stem 100
    Easton Monkeylight SL CNT Handelbar
    Chris King Headset
    Industry Nine wheelset with Arch Rims
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 Front 2.2 Rear
    ODI lockon grips
    SLR Saddle
    Salsa Skewers and clamp

Rode it twice already and I can say it's the best bike I've ever ridden. I have 4 in my stable. Superfly, Epiphany, S-works Epic, Raleigh SS XXIX. Med Epiphany Frame up for sale!

Thanks Francois for help uploading the image

Waiting for Godot
    jetdog that is also a good solid build. glad to see so many riders happy with their bike. even ones with a quility stable as yours.

i just hope i don't stop riding my hardtail when i build mine.....
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Basement JET

Frame - Medium Black JET 9
    Shock - Fox RP23
    Headset - FSA Orbit X
    Fork - Manitou Minute 29, 90mm
    Seat Collar - Salsa Flip Off
    Seat Post - Thomson, 30.9mm
    Saddle - San Marco Aspide
    Handlebar - FSA Kforce, Flat
    Stem - FSA OS115, 110mm
    Shifters - Sram X9
    Grips - Sunline
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 7
    Rotors - Avid 160mm
    Der. Front - Sram X9, 34.9mm
    Der. Rear - Sram X9
    Crankset - FSA Kforce Light 68/175mm, 22/36T
    Bottom Bracket - FSA MegaExo Ceramic
    Chain - FSA Team Issue 9s
    Cassette - Shimano XT 11-32
    Pedals - Xpedo Clipless
    Wheels - American Classic
    Tires - Bontrager Jones 2.2
    Quick Release - Salsa Ti Flip Off

Just finished transferring everything from my Alma 29 frame, this is an in-progress pic. Removed some material from the back of the X9 front derailleur so it would miss the swingarm, I also had to install a longer brake line on the rear brake and order a Thomson 400mm post (Long Legs... I got em!) but everything else went smoothly. I am also going with a 22/36T chainring config, I ordered a sexy Gamut bashguard that should look the business on there. The pic shows a 22/32T with an FSA guard.

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast