Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 387
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    62
    Is it possbile for the Jet9 to achieve a fighting weight of sub 25lbs? Thanks

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodshow Industries
    Is it possbile for the Jet9 to achieve a fighting weight of sub 25lbs? Thanks
    Mine is 26 on the button. I don't think I have over a pound savings in mine. Search my post "jet9 & lefty"

    -matt

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    There's not much room for savings once you get past the wheel set/tires etc. You get down to a $200 seat post that saves 1/2 an oz or something. You might achieve that weight by spending the big bucks on that kind of stuff. There must be some super light cranksets out there as well, although if you plan on pounding it (like I do) then most of that light stuff will break regularly.

  4. #29
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodshow Industries
    Is it possbile for the Jet9 to achieve a fighting weight of sub 25lbs? Thanks
    yes yes quite possible. unfortunatly the last couple of pounds are the most expensive to be done right building a ridable bike.

    edge wheelset(order them from mikesee), ti bolts thoughout, carbon seatpost, xtr cranks if you are not there already, formula oro brakes, saddle is a tough one as no light weight saddle is comfortable to me(your call), the rest is little stuff that will add up if you change them all:
    foam girps
    alligator cables
    carbon barends
    seat collar bolt on
    sqewers
    tubless tires
    hollow pin chain


    i don't see why you can't get down to 21-22 lbs if ya got the cash and still have a bike that can be ridden hard.

    btw my white jet9 with some of the above will be posted sometime in dec.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

    spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

  5. #30
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,425

    Hope

    I think you're dreaming there dude, REALLY To get the JET9 under 24lbs would take some serious effort and I'm not so sure how reliable it would be or how crappy it would ride/feel. Remember that the frame weighs over 6lbs alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    yes yes quite possible. unfortunatly the last couple of pounds are the most expensive to be done right building a ridable bike.............................................. ............

    i don't see why you can't get down to 21-22 lbs if ya got the cash and still have a bike that can be ridden hard.

    ..................................................
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  6. #31
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I think you're dreaming there dude, REALLY To get the JET9 under 24lbs would take some serious effort and I'm not so sure how reliable it would be or how crappy it would ride/feel. Remember that the frame weighs over 6lbs alone.



    ....huh? you can think whatever you want, but my current 22 lbs hardtail has been raced hard and hasn't seen any break down issues. parts will take more abuse on a hardtail than on a full sus bike. I didn't even have to spend that much or go to excess to meet my wieght/strength goals.

    a jet9 just under 24 lbs is very reachable. under 22 lbs would be a trade off or very very expensive to do. i would be happy to get as close as possible to 24 lbs and use the rest of the money on trips or other bikes.


    btw..... how does a lighter bike make it feel "crappy ride/feel"?
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

    spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

  7. #32
    Just Wanna Ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,372
    Great looking bikes. All you lucky owners - how about some more feedback on riding impressions - especially if you've owned the bike for a while and have been able to spend some time on it. Keep em coming.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7
    Hey all... I'm pretty much a mtbr lurker, but thought I would chime in a bit regarding my jet 9 I received (finally!) last month.

    Though I've only put 150-ish miles on it, I think it's the most fun I've had on a bike in quite a while. I guess I'm pretty much echoing what everyone has said about the ride quality... it feels stiff/pretty darn efficient while climbing in the saddle and out, and very plush and forgiving in technical environments. It handles fast, but it's far from what I would consider 'twitchy' - something I was concerned about. I have the rp23 set at approx 78-ish percent of my body weight (150 lbs) and it seems to be right on.

    As you've probably guessed I ride strictly XC terrain, no drops over a couple-few feet, and those are occasional at best. I do ride through a lot of rocky and techy terrain here, being in southern TN. The bike just feels good, I am very confident in the saddle and it seems solid. I think the jet feels a bit more like a trail bike than a straight up XC racing bike... but it's roots are definitely XC and I think it will make an excellent race/enduro ride, as well as an everyday trail/xc bike.

    I am noticing a bit of creaking when I am standing up and cranking... I haven't been able to isolate the creaks yet though, we all know it could be any number of things.

    Here's a bit of info:

    M 08 Jet 9
    Kermit Green
    Stans 355 rims
    American Classic Hubs
    DT Comp spokes
    RS Reba
    King headset
    Thompson (90mm) stem
    Ritchey Low Rizer bar
    Shimano XTR brakes
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Shimano XT front d.
    Shimano XT 11-32 cassette
    Hope Rotors
    Sram XO gripshift
    Sram XO rear d.
    Sram 991 Hollow-pin chain
    Race Face Dues XC crank / team rings
    Race Face carbon seat post
    Some old sette sadle
    Nokon cables
    Stan's Crow rear tire
    Stan's Raven rear tire
    Cut-off ergon gx-1s

    26.5 lbs.











    Time will tell, but thus far it is very smooth, plush feeling when need be, and fast. Regarding the Stan's tires... Some will love them, some will hate them. I think I love them, but I just need more time on them. I am running the front around 22 psi and the rear around 24 psi and haven't had much issue with them. The only time you feel any resistance with that low pressure is when you are climbing, but it's pretty minimal. The traction makes up for it. I used a crow up front for a bit, but found it a bit sketchy.. The raven is a great improvement.

    It took a few months to get this frame in to my LBS, but as of now I think it was well worth the wait.

  9. #34
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    998
    nice jet dantastic,


    i could suggest taking the suspension joints apart, wiping them down and regreasing them. if you are still creaking. take your crank arms off, apply some locktite to the isis arms to fill in any gaps, reapply the crank arms and let it sit for a day to dry.

    those are the most common. good luck and fun riding

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by dantastic
    I am noticing a bit of creaking when I am standing up and cranking... I haven't been able to isolate the creaks yet though, we all know it could be any number of things.
    Check to see that the BB shell has been faced properly. I just bought an 08 RIP and factory facing was nothing short of terrible.

    Face the BB properly and I bet your creaking will go away.

    elgordo

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    569
    Nice Jet, very close to my dream build. I would run it 1x9 and maybe get some lighter brakes and saddle. Should come down to just under 25 lbs.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    62
    Try to check if your external bottom brackets are tourqed to spec.


    Quote Originally Posted by dantastic
    Hey all... I'm pretty much a mtbr lurker, but thought I would chime in a bit regarding my jet 9 I received (finally!) last month.

    Though I've only put 150-ish miles on it, I think it's the most fun I've had on a bike in quite a while. I guess I'm pretty much echoing what everyone has said about the ride quality... it feels stiff/pretty darn efficient while climbing in the saddle and out, and very plush and forgiving in technical environments. It handles fast, but it's far from what I would consider 'twitchy' - something I was concerned about. I have the rp23 set at approx 78-ish percent of my body weight (150 lbs) and it seems to be right on.

    As you've probably guessed I ride strictly XC terrain, no drops over a couple-few feet, and those are occasional at best. I do ride through a lot of rocky and techy terrain here, being in southern TN. The bike just feels good, I am very confident in the saddle and it seems solid. I think the jet feels a bit more like a trail bike than a straight up XC racing bike... but it's roots are definitely XC and I think it will make an excellent race/enduro ride, as well as an everyday trail/xc bike.

    I am noticing a bit of creaking when I am standing up and cranking... I haven't been able to isolate the creaks yet though, we all know it could be any number of things.

    Here's a bit of info:

    M 08 Jet 9
    Kermit Green
    Stans 355 rims
    American Classic Hubs
    DT Comp spokes
    RS Reba
    King headset
    Thompson (90mm) stem
    Ritchey Low Rizer bar
    Shimano XTR brakes
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Shimano XT front d.
    Shimano XT 11-32 cassette
    Hope Rotors
    Sram XO gripshift
    Sram XO rear d.
    Sram 991 Hollow-pin chain
    Race Face Dues XC crank / team rings
    Race Face carbon seat post
    Some old sette sadle
    Nokon cables
    Stan's Crow rear tire
    Stan's Raven rear tire
    Cut-off ergon gx-1s

    26.5 lbs.











    Time will tell, but thus far it is very smooth, plush feeling when need be, and fast. Regarding the Stan's tires... Some will love them, some will hate them. I think I love them, but I just need more time on them. I am running the front around 22 psi and the rear around 24 psi and haven't had much issue with them. The only time you feel any resistance with that low pressure is when you are climbing, but it's pretty minimal. The traction makes up for it. I used a crow up front for a bit, but found it a bit sketchy.. The raven is a great improvement.

    It took a few months to get this frame in to my LBS, but as of now I think it was well worth the wait.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Nice Jet, very close to my dream build. I would run it 1x9 and maybe get some lighter brakes and saddle. Should come down to just under 25 lbs.
    First, thanks for the compliments and advice all... and flafonta, my thoughts exactly, just some more goodies to purchase in the future. I weighed it on a buddies digital scale today and it said 25.7 lbs.. Lighter that what I came up with on my high tech bathroom scale. Getting a F29, lighter saddle, lighter brakes and running 1x9 should get it lighter than I expected it to be. Not that I will notice any difference.. But I will just know it's lighter.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1

    New Jet 9 !!!

    Long-time lurker - finally have something to say!

    Picked up my new Jet 9 this week and hit a trail yesterday. It's my second mountain bike (first is a 7 year old entry-level 26" hardtail), my first 29er, and my first full suspension.

    Rode a typical trail for my area: mix of hardpack, rocks, roots, small ups and downs, lots of turns. At the end, I asked myself: "Why didn't you get a FS 29er sooner?" This was a new level of speed WITH CONTROL that I hadn't experienced before. The big wheels seemed right for my height (6'4") - felt more "in" the bike than "over" it.

    Setup:
    Jet 9 XL, Fox RP23
    Reba Race
    Hope headset
    Race Face Evolve stem and bar
    Ergons
    Avid BB7s, 160mm, SD-7 levers
    XT shifters, derailleurs and crankset
    SRAM 990 chain and cassette
    Time Alium
    WTB Laserdisc Trail
    Continental Mountain King 2.4
    Thomson post, Salsa Liplock
    SI Flite Gel

    Many thanks to Watts, Matt and Andy at Friendly Bike in Greensboro, NC! And thanks to all mtbr.com posters for your knowledge and information.

    niner 006.jpg

    niner 009.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    564

    Jet 9 under 25lbs.

    Crossmax 29er wheelset
    Specialized Captain S works
    Stans sealant
    Control Tech Ti skewers
    Reba SL fork
    American Classic headset
    Truvativ Team stem
    Ritchey WCS rizer bar
    Ergon grips
    Winwood seat post clamp
    Easton EC70 post
    Specialized Phenom SL saddle
    Magura Marta brakes
    Hope Mono Mini two piece rotors
    FSA K Force Lite crankset
    Crank Brothers Candy 4 ti pedals
    KMC X9SL chain
    Dura Ace 12/27 cassette
    XTR Shadow rear derailleur
    XTR M971 front derailler
    Blackburn Carbon bottle cage
    Aluminum cage bolts
    Ti bolts in stem/brake calipers

    Current Weight on my Ultimate Digital Scale = 24.88 lbs.

    Previously with foam grips,Flite SLR saddle, and no bottle cage =24.58 lbs.

    My EMD9 = 22.24 lbs.

    I ride it regularly and have raced it twice, I think its pretty trail ready, no absurdly light components that can't take a hard ride. I'm 175 lbs.

    There would seem to be room to get it down under 24 lbs. with an infusion of cash.
    Niner Jet9

    Niner Air9

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigerwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    432
    Is it possbile for the Jet9 to achieve a fighting weight of sub 25lbs?
    Just had a custom Jet built at my LBS popped it on the scale today 25.5 lbs with pedals. Unfortunately I can't bring it home yet. The bike has tubes in it but when I get it I'll convert to tubeless. Usually that will take off 200-250 grams. The bike in race form should be right at the 25lb mark. I'm pretty happy with that.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    Here is mine. Have yet to ride it on the dirt though.
    Also regarding the weight, check this out... a 22.97 lbs Jet.

    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    Here is mine. Have yet to ride it on the dirt though.
    Also regarding the weight, check this out... a 22.97 lbs Jet.


    Can you provide the full part list? That is one nice bike, and very light.

  19. #44
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,425
    That weight he listed is NOT for his bike, it is for the proto type Jet9 built up by Niner early last year for Sea Otter using a lot loighter parts spec. With the weight increase from originally stated by Niner between proto type and production frames there was a 1/2lb weight gain, plus he's using a WB fork which would prob add another 1/2lb. Then he's running a very smart, fast and reliable tyre combo, but not as light as Niners which would also add another 1/2lb over the Niner build, also add on the Ergon grips and that's another 1/4-1/2lb.

    So realisticaly looking around 25.5lbs for his Small framed JET.

    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Can you provide the full part list? That is one nice bike, and very light.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiderInTraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    ... So realisticaly looking around 25.5lbs for his Small framed JET.
    LyNx is absolutely right. This weight is not for my bike, sorry that I didn't make that clearer. This frame is a medium not a small though... adds even more weight.

    I rode an EMD before this one, which is a 2 lbs lighter frame. I can tell you on the weekend if this was a smart move or not.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

  21. #46
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,916
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That weight he listed is NOT for his bike, it is for the proto type Jet9 built up by Niner early last year for Sea Otter using a lot loighter parts spec. With the weight increase from originally stated by Niner between proto type and production frames there was a 1/2lb weight gain, plus he's using a WB fork which would prob add another 1/2lb. Then he's running a very smart, fast and reliable tyre combo, but not as light as Niners which would also add another 1/2lb over the Niner build, also add on the Ergon grips and that's another 1/4-1/2lb.

    So realisticaly looking around 25.5lbs for his Small framed JET.
    Okay, LyNx - give me a target weight for my weight weenie XL size JET 9. I figure I can hit the mid 25.x's with the stuff I've got in my garage and on my Sugar, but I may turn this into a special project that nets me sub 25. That would require new brakes, but I just don't think I'm ready to pony up for that new DT Swiss fork to cut 100 grams or so.

    Anyway, I'm hoping for something between 25-26 with the goodies I already own. The consensus I'm getting over on the 29"er board is that the older Reba forks with the 38mm offset is the "best" way to go. Does anybody else have any thoughts on that? I'll probably start with 80mm for quick handling in the tight stuff.

    No build pictures yet. All I've got is the frame which should be shipped this coming week.

    XLJET9

    BB

  22. #47
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,102

    I already posted this in the 29er forum but

    I figured I had to post it in the niner forum where it belongs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #48
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,425
    Nice, really nice what I think would totally "finish" it off is a silver Thomson stem instead of the black This is the first black frame I have seen using the silver and red accents and I think it looks killer :thumbus: I think the semi dull finish of the rockers go well against the similar finish on the Thomson post, looking forward to seeing it if you go with the silver stem.

    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I figured I had to post it in the niner forum where it belongs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  24. #49
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,425
    So are you gona strip everything off the Sugar BB? I know that if you go weight weenie on a built it's normally fairly far out there, but, you do not go over the top with stupid expensive for 25g type stuff. Not sure what the Sugar frames weigh, but the XL JET9 is somewhere around 6.75lbs as far as I remember from reading, so with "your" sort of build I think you could easily hit 25.5lbs, getting below 25lbs I think would cost quite a bit and would be a bit on the questionable side reliability wise. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

    As to the fork, if it were me I would definitely have to go with the newer Rebas, greater offset and stiffer chasis. I just made the move to a Manitou 120mm TA and it's huge how much better it feels, the precision in the steering is just fantastic - I like tech so this realy is what I look for. I'd consider going for the QR version and then use a DT RWS on it to help stiffen it up a bit more.

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Okay, LyNx - give me a target weight for my weight weenie XL size JET 9. I figure I can hit the mid 25.x's with the stuff I've got in my garage and on my Sugar, but I may turn this into a special project that nets me sub 25. That would require new brakes, but I just don't think I'm ready to pony up for that new DT Swiss fork to cut 100 grams or so.

    Anyway, I'm hoping for something between 25-26 with the goodies I already own. The consensus I'm getting over on the 29"er board is that the older Reba forks with the 38mm offset is the "best" way to go. Does anybody else have any thoughts on that? I'll probably start with 80mm for quick handling in the tight stuff.

    No build pictures yet. All I've got is the frame which should be shipped this coming week.

    XLJET9

    BB
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  25. #50
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,102

    I started to order a silver one

    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Nice, really nice what I think would totally "finish" it off is a silver Thomson stem instead of the black This is the first black frame I have seen using the silver and red accents and I think it looks killer :thumbus: I think the semi dull finish of the rockers go well against the similar finish on the Thomson post, looking forward to seeing it if you go with the silver stem.
    but I was afraid that it would be too much silver, plus I would have to change out the black spacers inbetween the red ones for silver ones. Thanks for the compliment, I am taking it out sunday for the maiden voyage, I will post a ride report sometime sunday night.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •