Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
    Carbon & Ti rule
    I wouldn't panic about the frame size, I have some friends your size on med & they work well, But with a 50mm stem.

My point was more that when you go with the larger of the 2 frames that you fit that it is normal to go to a shorter stem to bring the bike back down to size.

With your setup you have your cockpit longer than I do on my Large Niners & I'm 6 foot.

Put a 50mm stem on it & if that doesn't feel right after a few rides then go wider in the bars & leave the 50mm stem on it.

Also IMO flatten out your seat, As it is pushing you further forward as well.

The Jet9 RDO can work very well as a trail bike IMO but you have got to get your weight back if you want to kill the down hills.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Pic attached. Best I could do short notice. Thanks for the insight.

@BruceBrown....I 100% agree there is a lot of rider skill in the way I feel. And I consciously (which could be my issue) go into ever turn trying to take a better angle of attack, lean correctly and lay off the brakes. I had some better success this morning in a few turns.

@Muzzanic

re: sizing. This was a really tough call for me. I demoed a Med RIP 9 and could not find fault in the bike or the size. I did feel tall on it, but that seemed to disappear as I road. It felt great climbing or descending so I translated that to the Jet. I think you'll find a lot of folks here around 5'7-5'8 who struggle between a Med/Small. Still, it would be interesting to demo a small and see if I find the bike quicker.

re: Stem....When I was on the 70mm I felt the bike was squirrelly on both climbs and descents. I really did not like it all all. The bike felt more precise and stable moving to the 90mm. It would be interesting to try a 50mm just for a sanity check.

re: Fork/Shock...I have had the Rev serviced by a certified RS tech and he feels it is OK. I think its doing it's job, but will also play around with the settings. I have not hand the Fox shock serviced yet not at the hours limit, but will do that after this summer

Dropper....seems like its worth a try. A lot cheaper than switching bikes and dropping my center of gravity only makes sense.

Attachment 898348

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got it. I'll give a shorter stem a try.

I'll have to check out the seat angle. I don't recall it being so dramatically pointing downward. May be the angle of the picture as it feels fine riding but obviously, I'd be pushed forward if it is that dramatic.

Thanks for all the input. I'll report back.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I agree on the shorter stem. I am 5' 10"and have 80-90 mm stems on all and all are medium. All are Niner's.
    5'10" here as well... 75mm on med sir9 and 80mm on med jet9.👍

4 Niners
    Dec 2008

Re: OFFICIAL: JET9 Picture and Setup Thread

One thing to consider also is weight distribution. On all of my bikes I ended up with 40% of my weight on the front. After a long time of all my setups being where I felt they were perfect, I wanted to see if I could learn something. I weighed myself holding each bike and then weighed the front wheel with me sitting in my riding position. The rear was supported in a trainer. Within 2 lbs, every single bike had exactly 40%of the weight on the front. I was surprised how tight the spread was, and in the future I will use this as a guide to speed future setup.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

OFFICIAL: JET9 Picture and Setup Thread

In action!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice pics!

mtbr member
    Fox Terralogic 100mm
    SunRingle BlackFlag Expert Wheelset
    Racing Ralph 2.1R/2.4F
    Shimano SLX/XT 1x10 30t RF NW
    11.5kg (25.3lb)

Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member

Re: OFFICIAL: JET9 Picture and Setup Thread

My buddy picked a frame on sale for $850. Swapped parts off of a hard tail....great bike!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Desert RAT

Jet ( Alloy 22.63 lbs

OFFICIAL:  JET9 Picture and Setup Thread-0627141546.jpgFrame Niner Jet 9 Large
    Fork Fox Ctd 100
    Cane Creek 10 headset
    XX1 cranks with 32 Ring
    Crank Bros 3 Ti pedals
    XX1 chain
    Syntace Vector carbon bar
    KCNC Scandium post
    Specialized toupe carbon saddle
    3T ARX Team stem with Ti bolts
    Formula R1 Racing brakes with alloy fixing bolts
    Ashima Ai2 rotors with Alloy Ashima bolts...........................154g F/R
    Esi grips cut to my hand width
    Esi bar end plugs
    Stans Race Gold Wheelset
    Thunder Burt Rear Ralph in Front
    SRAM XX1 rear shifter
    SRAM XX1 rear derailleur
    SRAM XX1 Cassette

Every single bolt on the bike was replaced with Titanium or Aluminum

mtbr member
    Had to itch to replace some bits, lose weight and gain travel.... 24lbs with a lefty upgrade to 110mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL:  JET9 Picture and Setup Thread-image.jpg  

Desert RAT
    Awesome!^^^^^ I want to do a lefty carbon to drop a few more grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Got it. I'll give a shorter stem a try.

I'll have to check out the seat angle. I don't recall it being so dramatically pointing downward. May be the angle of the picture as it feels fine riding but obviously, I'd be pushed forward if it is that dramatic.

Thanks for all the input. I'll report back.

-Dan
    Update on my downhill dilemma.

Slapped a 50mm stem on my J9 RDO. Downhill is much, much improved over the prior 90mm & the 70mm I had when I built the bike up. In general the bike rides better in most conditions except climbing.

As when I had the 70mm stem on the bike, I pop the front wheel way too readily when the climbing gets only a little steep. The front end is floaty on the up and that is frustrating compared to the 90MM stem which felt planted and climbed like a goat.

I messed around with my seated position today and I think I can find a way to make it work, but its not my natural climbing position. I have to keep most weight off the bars when climbing and only steer enough to maintain my line. I'm sure if I had the ability to drop from 120mm to 100mm it might feel different, but I don't have the dual position Rev.

Thanks for the help. The bike does ride bitter....just need to lean to climb again.

Now for the new wheels!!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16