Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farmertan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    659

    Number of spacers for XO crank on RDO

    Has anyone built an RDO with an XO crank and could let me know how many spacers you put on the drive side? Per the SRAM owner manual I used just the fat spacer as recommended for a PressFit 30 bottom bracket.
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._cranksets.pdf

    However the chain line seems off and the crank looks to be too far from the frame. The chain tries to skip off the small ring when the chain is on the largest cog in the back.

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,557
    If it's a 73mm BB like my new Air9, then the fat spacer is the only one you need. I thought the chainline looked bad to, but it works fine.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farmertan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    659
    Yep, 73mm. I looked at it again this morning and it looks like the big ring would be too close to the chain stay if I removed the spacer. I may contact Niner to get their input too.

  4. #4
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan View Post
    Has anyone built an RDO with an XO crank and could let me know how many spacers you put on the drive side? Per the SRAM owner manual I used just the fat spacer as recommended for a PressFit 30 bottom bracket.
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._cranksets.pdf

    However the chain line seems off and the crank looks to be too far from the frame. The chain tries to skip off the small ring when the chain is on the largest cog in the back.

    Thanks for any help!
    I had issues with this as well. The first thing to note is the JET9 RDO is a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and requires 2 2.5mm spacers (one on each side) on top of any spacers required for a 73mm shell.

    My bike isn't using that crankset, but my guess would be you want 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I had issues with this as well. The first thing to note is the JET9 RDO is a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and requires 2 2.5mm spacers (one on each side) on top of any spacers required for a 73mm shell.

    My bike isn't using that crankset, but my guess would be you want 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side.
    Are you sure? I measured it at 73mm?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    The first thing to note is the JET9 RDO is a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and requires 2 2.5mm spacers (one on each side) on top of any spacers required for a 73mm shell.
    That's not correct. I have my RDO setup with only the fat spacer. If you try putting on the 2 2.5mm spacers in addition, you will not get much thread engagement on the crank and it will be very obvious that is not going to work.

  7. #7
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ride4burritos View Post
    Are you sure? I measured it at 73mm?
    Well I originally assumed it was 73 like all other Niner's but I set mine up like it was a 73 and I was getting side to side play on the cranks in the bottom bracket. I set it up like a 68mm shell and the shifting got much better and the side to side play was eliminated.

    I didn't measure mine (no calipers available), but this page seems to agree with you:
    Speedgoat Bicycles / Catalog

    All I know is that using the spacers for a 73mm shell with my crank / bottom bracket configuration I could not eliminate several millimeters of side to side play in the crankset.

  8. #8
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by bmmh View Post
    That's not correct. I have my RDO setup with only the fat spacer. If you try putting on the 2 2.5mm spacers in addition, you will not get much thread engagement on the crank and it will be very obvious that is not going to work.
    What crank / bottom bracket setup do you have?

    It may be my setup makes this unique. My bottom bracket / crankset is complex, using a PF30 SRAM bottom bracket, then Problem Solvers reducers to be able to use a Truvativ Noir Crankset. When using one fat spacer, I could pull my crankset side to side several millimeters.

    But it does appear that most places I can find have the RDO listed as a 73mm bb shell width. I am definitely using 3 2.5mm spacers in my setup.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    All I know is that using the spacers for a 73mm shell with my crank / bottom bracket configuration I could not eliminate several millimeters of side to side play in the crankset.
    I was playing around with all the spacer configs when building mine and also tried all 3 spacers. Check how many turns you get on your crank threads. Fully engaged off the bike, I counted 9 full turns. When I had all spacers on, I got maybe half that and the preload adjuster wasn't doing squat except being another spacer.

    With just the fat and the side to side play, did you have the preload adjuster set correctly?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    What crank / bottom bracket setup do you have?

    It may be my setup makes this unique. My bottom bracket / crankset is complex, using a PF30 SRAM bottom bracket, then Problem Solvers reducers to be able to use a Truvativ Noir Crankset..
    Sorry, I missed the part where you said you did not have this crankset. I have the same BB/Crank as the OP.

  11. #11
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by bmmh View Post
    Sorry, I missed the part where you said you did not have this crankset. I have the same BB/Crank as the OP.
    No problem, I want to fully understand the exact / correct spacing on this as it has given me fits. I think it may be related to the Problem Solvers reducers, as the kit for GXP compatibility is brand new and they have no documentation on it, so it may be the extra spacers are due to those.

    Didn't mean to drop misinformation on the thread, everything else I can find around shows the RDO as a 73mm bottom bracket shell not the 68mm like I was thinking it was.

    Carry on...

  12. #12
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Hi

    I'm building up a RDO for a friend at the moment & it is sitting on the work stand with no BB in it & it is 73mm.

    With my wife's RDO it has Sram PF30 BB & the BB30 X0 crank & it has no spacers on the LH side & only the wide spacer on the RH side.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farmertan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    With my wife's RDO it has Sram PF30 BB & the BB30 X0 crank & it has no spacers on the LH side & only the wide spacer on the RH side.
    According to Niner it should have no spacers on the non-drive side and the large spacer on the drive side. I'll play around with it tonight and see why the chain is trying to skip off the small ring when the chain is on the largest cog. I may for kicks replace the large spacer with one or two smaller ones and see what happens. I haven't ridden the bike, only spun the cranks while it was in the stand.

  14. #14
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan View Post
    According to Niner it should have no spacers on the non-drive side and the large spacer on the drive side. I'll play around with it tonight and see why the chain is trying to skip off the small ring when the chain is on the largest cog. I may for kicks replace the large spacer with one or two smaller ones and see what happens. I haven't ridden the bike, only spun the cranks while it was in the stand.
    Niki's is setup as Niner have said, The 39 chain ring is 5mm from the chain stay.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronunu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    97
    Built a RDO last night with a X0 combo.
    BB measured 73mm, installed crankset with only the fat spacer. Noticed I got some clear plastic spacers in my SRAM crankset kit. I think I'll use them as covers for the bearing rings.
    No dear, it is not dangerous ...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Noclutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    792
    I just installed my AKA crank last night using only the fat spacer on the drive side, and after crank bolt was torqued the wave washer is nearly flat ( can barely perceive some wave to it when spinning the crank) with the tension-er nut all the way out.
    Is this a problem? There is no way I could have less spacer width unless I used a stack of the 2.5mm ones instead of the thick one...

    Also, my PF30bb came with plastic bearing seal shields, but the crank came with aluminum ones. The plastic ones fit nice and tight on the spindle and are alittle thicker than the not-tight metal ones so I used them. Are the metal ones for road use? They seemed a bit more water intrusion prone.

    EDIT- Uh, nevermind . Upon re reading the crank directions it appears the cranks screw tensioner is used in lieu of the spring washer the PF30 kit came with. DOH! Reassembled per crank instructions instead of PF30's one big spacer only, snugged tensioner ring and locked it.

    But on a more concrening note, when I disassembeld the crank to remove the spring washer I noted that one of the bearings had exuded some of the white factory grease while just spinning it on the stand yesterday ....is this normal???
    Last edited by Noclutch; 01-08-2012 at 10:40 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    200
    So you are supposed to use the spring washer and the large spacer with the XO crank?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10
    Based on this thread, I went to put my X0 crank on my recently purchased v1.0 Jet 9 RDO with a Pressfit30 BB. With the one wide spacer (measured my at 9mm), I still have about 5 mm of side to side play in the crank? Is there anyway I should be using the 2-2.5mm spacers? Is my wide spacer too small?

    The frame measured 73mm wide, so based on the installation instructions, it should fit.

  19. #19
    Dirty South Underdog
    Reputation: Andrea138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,617
    When you installed the crank, did you give it a few good "taps" on the drive side with a rubber mallet?
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

    Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10
    Yes, the problem is, when the crank bolt is tight, it still moves back and forth 5 mm. There is too much space when the crank is tight.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by trr122 View Post
    Yes, the problem is, when the crank bolt is tight, it still moves back and forth 5 mm. There is too much space when the crank is tight.
    I installed my XX1 BB30 cranks on my RDO with just the wide spacer on the drive side. I had to use a couple of the clear washers in between the bearing preload ring and the bearing to take up some extra space though. The bearing pre load would run out of threads on the spindle. Can you take out the play with the bearing pre load ring?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10
    I tried that with no success. I'm starting to think my crank is for a 83mm bb shell (DH specific longer spindle). I'll measure it tonight. If that the case, I'm in need of a new crank!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    409
    This is my first experience with sram xo and pf 30 bb. The provided instructions indicate that 2 of the provided spacers are not needed on for the j9 rdo 73mm bb shell, 2 others are used, 1 each side, along with the wide drive side spacer. That still leaves others including the clear thinner ones. Hard to tell which they are referring to without more information. Contacted niner - I'm sure they sort it out.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    409
    I went ahead and installed the xo 2x10 crankset on the j9 rdo without anything other than the wide drive side spacer that compensates for the chain rings. No tension ring adjustment (non drive side) was needed and everything seems aligned well with no shifting problems, at least on the stand. Waiting for some new rotors to complete the build and my wife will be out on the AZ trails this weekend on her new ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
  2. FB - XTR crank BB spacers?
    By Felton_Flyer in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM
  3. Max number of spacers?
    By allroads in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
  4. Limit to number of headset/stem spacers?
    By npstaehling in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
  5. XT 04 Crank:Do I need those spacers?
    By Fastskiguy in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •