I'm gonna have to kill ya

Bonking ... not feelin' well Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use

Seriously so gutted

Built her up and just about to get into the mid low 15lb range and today I notice a 12mm crack that splits into a Y shape at one end in the curve of the Top tube to seat tube (top face). You can feel it with your nail

I have ridden her for about 7 weeks and covered 1057 miles of XC type riding, no crashes etc I run a 400mm post as recommended and am only extended to the 7cm above minimum insertion so have a massive amount of post in the frame (17-18cm). I ride SingleSpeed so am standing up slogging up the hill so little stress on the saddle other than spinning on the flat, being rigid as well I stand up on the downs as well (I hardly need a saddle lol)

I can't say how much I love this bike from the way it handles, looks and the dream like fit, I know Niner are pretty spot on for their after sales care and hope that being in the UK is not going to alter that experience.

Being in the UK does make things a little different as the Sales of Goods Act means that technically all manufactures warranties are pointless as the liability lies with the retailer for 6 years so they have to replace it and take it up with the manufacturer, although I don't want to cause grief for the shop I got it from as he is a top bloke.

Will be on the phone Monday and hope to get it sorted ASAP (there was only this one at the importers in this size and colour), things are not the easiest at the moment and riding was my escape/release and helps me manage my stress/depression so really didn't need this (1st world problems and all that and I have a rather nice 29er Scandal v2 as a spare bike so doubly not the end of the world)

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130803_151034.jpg

post has 17-18 cm inserted in the frame

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-post.jpg

Just fitted some R1 Racing brakes and have a McFK post and saddle coming as well

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-ninersmall2.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-ninersmall.jpg

NMBP
    Man, that is a bummer! I have nothing but excellent things to say about Niner's CS, and would think that they would take good care of you. I hope you are back riding soon.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Sucks abut the crack.

I like your build.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Sucks abut the crack.

I like your build.
    Cheers went a bit mad on Tune parts etc but the frame was so nice it seemed a shame to put anything but the lightest kit on it

Would like to get into high 14 lbs but wasn't intending on doing that by snapping the back half of the frame off lol

Looks like it is being warrantied as predicted but now an issue with the colour as they have none in stock so asked about a colour change, as much as I like the Tang I think the matching back/white fork and other parts should have been enough to indicate my answer.

The shop I got it from online from (only a little shop) is being great though

Hmm my pics have been removed???

Have I been modded

Loser
    There seems to be some issues with the forums (see note at the top), I suspect that's where your pictures went and that they will come back.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    CAn you post s few pictures?
    Pedal Dammit!

And once again Niner excels themselves

No issue replacing the frame under warranty but apparently the black/white A9C is a discontinued colour

Offered other colours but explained I had just bout (a few weeks earlier) a matching RDO fork.

So without having to they have provided a BIG credit towards a new fork and the owner of the Bike Shop who is being great sorting it out is going to have my forks and cover the difference

So I am sad to lose the black/white as I think it is the ultimate colour combo but do like the Moondust the replacement will be in.
    My only issue is the 200 white McFK saddle i have on order!!!!

So big thanks to Niner for taking the extra step!

Not sure why the original pics vanished and it won't let me repost them?? hmm

Linked image

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-ninersmall2.jpg  

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130803_151034.jpg  

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130722_190512.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Can't you cancel the saddle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I cracked my Air9C after 1500km of use - Niner was really good to me and let me upgrade to an RDO for $200

Everything else happened smooth as glass

Was pretty sad that Tang was discontinued though

I cracked mine at the BB shell / ST area

Going to discuss the fork however because I had the same issue

(bought a tang fork now I have a green frame)

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    That is frustrating. I cracked a carbon GT, and ruined some other carbon parts. 2 years later, I have gotten rid of ALL plastic on both bikes. Steel and aluminum. Dings and dents, scratches and scrapes, and they ride like the day I bought them. Scandium One 9, and a metal TURNER. My bikes are made by FIRE!

Weeee all done

Was not sure on Moondust as loved the white but it really goes with the red parts.

Happy bunny and impressed with the service from Niner and Charliethebilemonger, sent me 2200 of frame set before returning the other one and on the strength of one photo!

Was odd that the new one was the older "carbon" labled frame and not the CYA also came with the one bolt EBB so uses the original 2 bolt

Also was 60 -80 grams lighter

Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_151438.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_151431.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_151424-1-.jpg
    Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_151510.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_151447.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130829_142125.jpgNoooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20130828_144517.jpg

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    The Moondust with red looks great! Same color combo I have but with all red I9's. Just cracked my moondust though! hope Niner comes through for me too!

congrats on the sweet build.
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi,

Sorry for the direct question but I had some issues as well with a cracked tangerine colored frame (that was not discontinued), did you get that moondust fork "with" the new frame or did you need to pay for it?

When they agreed to change the frame under warranty they said that white and Tang were discontinued now and they only had moondust and an older tang in stock and was I happy to swap (suggesting to go for the moondust as current colour).

I went back and said 2 weeks before the frame cracked I bought and RDO fork in white so a colour change was an issue, they kindly gave me a large credit with the shop I bought it from to buy a new one but it would still have cost me 150 or so on top but the owner of the bike shop said he would have my old fork so would work out zero cost to me.

I believe someone on here got a similar deal as well, Niner seem pretty good at looking after their customers and if you are forces to change colour as they discontinued it then it seems fair they help you out with the fork change (but very much appreciated when they don't actually have to).

Big thanks to Niner once again

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok ,thanks for the answer. I had a tang air9 carbon and literally everything was orange like fork, bolts, seat, grips, spoke nipples all the niner parts (stem, seatpost and bar)

After 3 months my frame had a crack and as there was no tang colored frame available I went for a green rdo but had to change everything.. Costed me a fortune (again) and needed to buy a new fork as well.. Sold the orange fork in the end but also the new rdo fork was in a completely different green color then the frame
    Love my Niner rdo and color tuning my bike is my own choice but didn't suggest I need to buy everything again within such a short time.

That sounds horrid, at the end of the day my fork was fine so my own tough luck really so was very grateful to Niner for that.

Colour coding is dodgy for future frame changes etc but I can never resist as bit of a tart when it comes to some nice anodized parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just had something similar happen to the exact same build near the bottom bracket and Niner with no hesitation is replacing with the Moondust version along with a discount on the matching rdo fork.

Great customer service and easy to deal with it!

Bicycle Addict
    And now this.
    Noooo A9C cracked after 7 weeks use-20131201_134508_zps5de886b8.jpg
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing