mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Niner Single Speed vs Rig

Those of you who got to ride the Niner.....how does it compare to the Fisher Rig? I know its cheaper and lighter, but how's the ride compare? I am currently ride a steel 26 SS and wonder if I should be considering one of these AL models or jump straight to a steel bike.

mtbr member
    Not cheaper is it?

P::..

Where's Toto?
    Definately not cheaper: $749 for the frame alone. However it is Scandium frame vs Alum. Pretty sweet package being offered too - AC wheels, Reba, Juicy's...

mtbr member

Probably 2x

the cost for a similarly spec'd Niner vs. Rig. Also, you have that pesky issue of availability.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    my wife has ridden both within the span of a few weeks.
    as you (should) know, she raced the Niner @ Sea Otter for 38 miles and then 2 weeks later in Santa Barbara for 70 miles.
    Coming off a steel Surly 1x1, and previously a Bianchi Diss, my wife knows the difference between how Alu rides (ouchie!) and how Steel rides. (ahhhhh)

The Niner felt like a very comfy alu bike or a more snappy steel bike. The SB course was 70 miles of stutter-bump hell and she said that she wasn't fatigued from the bike at all, instead, that she was comfy throughout the race.

she hasn't had any long saddle time on the Rig so far, 2 hours at most, but she has been riding it rigid, and is blown away how good Alu feels strapped to the 29er wheels.

Her only other rigid exp. was on her 1x1 which was a jolting, jarring, one.

I think you're set no matter what you choose, but know this....
    the Niner will be lighter, significantly.
    the Niner will be prettier.
    the Niner will be more comfortable.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    the cost for a similarly spec'd Niner vs. Rig. Also, you have that pesky issue of availability.

Sean
    I just went through exactly this decision making process recently. I figured the Niner would run about $800 more with some effort to find good deals on reasonable parts and assuming I didn't already have some parts on hand. Personally I couldn't justify it despite the sweetness of the Niner package. Availability is a pesky issue with both.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

check

Padre-
    Please check your PM - thanks

Recovering couch patato
    Euhm...if the Niner ends up $800 more expensive (let's say it is), why not buy a Rig bike AND a $750 Niner frame? Sell Rig frame for $300-400, voila, $1350 Niner bike : Reba fork, Avid Disc (mechs though), wheels, great tires, THE WORKS, $1350 or so. Okay, some parts you may want to upgrade, but you'll have the cash in hand to do so.
    Even if you do it this way, getting the fork deal with the Niner could see you make another $50-150 profit. $1250 Niner bike, if you managed to get the Rig for $950.

I think it's safe to say a Niner frame alone saves around a pound over a Rig, which is already impressively light to begin with, an EBB frame lighter than most steel geared frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Padre - what rigid fork is your wife running on her Rig? I've just got one ride on mine so far, but am already thinking that most of the time I might want to be on a rigid fork.

Thanks,

Sam

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Padre - what rigid fork is your wife running on her Rig? I've just got one ride on mine so far, but am already thinking that most of the time I might want to be on a rigid fork.

Thanks,

Sam
    Karate Monkey.