mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Niner S.I.R. sizing question

I already did a search so please do not tell me to do one. I got some information from it but I am looking for a little more. A little about me and my dimensions. I am 6'2.5" with a 35" inseam, and really long arms 36 sleeve length. I weigh ~225 with a goal of 195 by April. As a side note my road bike is a 61cm with a 60cmtt and a 120 stem. 81cm from BB to top of saddle with 175's.

I am about to pull the trigger on pre-ordering a SIR and I am confused by the sizing. My last mountain bike which I sold earlier this year was a Titus Racer-X 100 in an XL with a 120mm stem. The bike was nice but I was never happy with the fit. I always felt I was perched on top of the bike. I also had a Surly 1x1 in an xl with 120mm stem on it too, that bike felt great. One ride on a 29er was all it took to convince me that I need one of these. It just felt like it fit, I was sitting in the bike rather than on top of it.

I am lucky that I have a great realationship with a shop that is 29er freindly. It just so happens that the manager and I are about the same size. I have ridden a L and XL Monkey, a XL Dos Niner, and a 20" Soma Juice. The XL Monkey and Dos felt great, but standover was a little close, but I like the length. The L monkey felt good, but not great. The Soma is to short in the cockpit length, even with a 120mm stem.

I had the opportunity to ride a Large Niner One9 at Interbike and it was good, but felt a little cramped. I should note that the Niner had a straight post, while all of the bikes that I have ridden, as well as my personal bikes have setback posts. Hence my confusion. I am 95% sure that the XL Niner is the right choice, but I just need that confirmed. It is always easier to make a bike larger than to make it smaller.

Also, I have ridden an XL Fisher Rig and it felt great, but that was in the parking lot, not on the trail.

Sorry for rambiling on, and thank you for the help.

Huey

Got Twins?

Have you emailed Chris and Steve at Niner?

I emailed them with my questions about fit and ordered my frame based on their feedback. Have you asked Niner? They'd be the best source.

HTH

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I have ridden an XL Niner.

I'm 6'6 225.

My XL Niner was equipped with a 110stem and I'd have like a skosh longer. FWIW my arms aren't ridiculously long.

If you have monkey arms...I believe the XL is the mandatory call for you.

The Large TT will be too short with your long arms....

plus the Rig is close in size/lengths so your estimate is pretty spot on...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    hey there Huey...

i am just under 6'2" and i am about 175 with gear. i have a 35" inseam (and brown hair and eyes, if that's important ).

i am riding a xl niner one9...perfect fit. i am running a 105mm stem and a airborne ti seatback post (it only has 10mm of steback, so it's not a huge amount).

i think you'll be VERY happy on the xl. no, no, wait....get a xl you WILL be VERY happy with a xl niner.

niner makes a great frame in the one9 and the sir9 looks to be even better!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the help guys, this is what I needed to know. I am going with an XL in Kermit green. I will post pics sometime in mid January.

huey

mtbr member
    I'll add to this one -

6'2" 35" inseam on an XL One9. Running a 110 stem and straight Thomson post gives me plenty of room to move around. I don't have freaklength arms so I could get easily get away with a shorter stem. It's all personal pref. I think the XL is perfect for my size. I have a L KM with a 135 stem that seems too small after spending time on the Niner.

mtbr member
    I'm in taiwan right now. We just found the niner frames...

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...WS_Photo_id=74

Well - they will be the SIR's when the factory have built them :-)

mtbr member
    Without a doubt, get the XL. The TT length should always come first. Hopefully you will spend much more time with your hands on the bars then standing over the toptube.

mtbr member

Kind of confused here...

The Niner web site is showing the XL with a height recommendation for people 6'4" - 6'8"......Big/Tall people. TT length on the XL is 25.25".
    The large is recommended for riders in the neighborhood of 6' - 6'5"

The XL Surly 1x1 that he mentioned fit so well has a 24.2" TT length. Not sure or following why everyone is suggestion an XL Niner with a TT length over an inch longer???? Am I missing something here?? From a pure numbers standpoint it looks like a large is a better fit. Even the XL Titus he had has a TT of only 24.6". Granted he said he never felt right on this frame.

I am 6'1" with about a 33/34" inseam. My current bikes I ride have TT lengths of 24.0 and 24.2, both using a 120mm stem. I ordered a s.i.r.9, size large that is showing has a 24.5" TT length.....thought I would run it with a 110mm stem.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Without a doubt, get the XL. The TT length should always come first. Hopefully you will spend much more time with your hands on the bars then standing over the toptube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

i know its an old thread but...

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    The Niner web site is showing the XL with a height recommendation for people 6'4" - 6'8"......Big/Tall people. TT length on the XL is 25.25".
    The large is recommended for riders in the neighborhood of 6' - 6'5"

The XL Surly 1x1 that he mentioned fit so well has a 24.2" TT length. Not sure or following why everyone is suggestion an XL Niner with a TT length over an inch longer???? Am I missing something here?? From a pure numbers standpoint it looks like a large is a better fit. Even the XL Titus he had has a TT of only 24.6". Granted he said he never felt right on this frame.

I am 6'1" with about a 33/34" inseam. My current bikes I ride have TT lengths of 24.0 and 24.2, both using a 120mm stem. I ordered a s.i.r.9, size large that is showing has a 24.5" TT length.....thought I would run it with a 110mm stem.

KMan
    i happen to agree with you and no ones tried to explain their logic for going with the bigger bike. makes no sense to me if the numbers mean anything.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think Padre touched on it, and I agree. With his arm length I think he'll be ok and be able to use a reasonable length stem.
    For ref., I'm nearly 6'5" and my arms are about 34" more or less. The O.P has 2" longer arms and is about 2.5" shorter than I am.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

one more thing

I also look at the lenght of seatpost and head tube lenght.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Fit Calculator

I am also looking at the sizes of a lot of 29er frames. I have ridden Surly KMs, Large and X Large. A XL Dos Niner. I was in a bike shop last week and lucky enough to see another guy looking at 29er Fishers. I had ridden a Large Rig in the parking lot but when I looked at someone my size, almost eye to eye, he then rode the XL fisher and I could see how he fit so much better on the XL. At 6' 2 1/2", I have been looking at the numbers, wish I could ride the bike before dishing out money for a frame. So I call Niner bikes, talked to Chris, if I do go with the Niner brand, it would be a XL and short stem.