Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here she is. The ride is pretty compliant with the carbon bars and forks allowing me to take longer rides. The longest ride I've done on it was 55 miles and it felt great at the end. I'm still fine tuning it but it's pretty close to where I like it.

Niner on the Road?!?!-niner-air9-bike-020.jpgNiner on the Road?!?!-niner-air9-bike-021.jpgNiner on the Road?!?!-niner-air9-bike-022.jpgNiner on the Road?!?!-niner-air9-bike-023.jpg
    Last edited by JoeHuffy; 09-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member

Niner on the Road?!?!

That is killer! That's definitely going to have to be a project for me.. Might start with an EMD9, w/ Carbon Fork.. Are those standard road tires? What width are your rims? Lastly.. Tubes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. The tires are Performance Metro Road (non-kevlar) 700 x 35c. I really like these tires. I have run them before in other bikes but in a 26 inch version, tubed, and they have performed well (over 500 miles). Firm, low-resistance and they last long.

The rims are Stan's Crest, 21 mm internal width, and I am using tubes. I tried to mount them tubeless but only one tire could hold more than 85 psi so I I am running tubes in both to be safe. I never seriously thought that those tires could be run tubeless at that much pressure, I just wanted to see if it was possible. I ran them safely tubeless at 70 psi but I didn't feel confident in the long term.

Definitely get a carbon fork. I ran a front shock, locked, and it was a little harsh. The carbon bars with ESI super chunky grips also make a difference. The bike is more compliant than my road bike but yet it doesn't fell noodly. It's very comfy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As they usually say, it is the bike that does it all. LOL.. after selling my roadbike, I will have to settle to this for now until I buy myself a hardtail frame. Hopefully an Air9 or EMD perhaps..

I got an extra wheelset and fitted it with a 700Cx32 slicks.. smooth on the road. I needed this for my weekday exercise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is very sweet. Just what envisioned, probably with a white fork instead of black.. A very nice bike.. Drooling....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHuffy View Post
    Here she is. The ride is pretty compliant with the carbon bars and forks allowing me to take longer rides. The longest ride I've done on it was 55 miles and it felt great at the end. I'm still fine tuning it but it's pretty close to where I like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niner Air9 bike 020.jpg 
Views:	904 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	821879

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice bike LostDog99! Yeah having a rigid saves a bit of weight. It makes a big difference in speed and in trying to keep up with the roadies.

I meant to put on a white fork but I got such a killer deal on the carbon-weave fork that I just couldn't pass it up. I may wrap it in white vinyl later if the urge gets too big but the ride has me happy for the moment.

700 x 32c tires sounds like a good idea. I may have to try that size out later. Good luck with your future build.
    Last edited by JoeHuffy; 08-04-2013 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've done the MTB with slicks thing plenty before. It's not really bad, if all you're doing is just scootin around town. For any distance stuff, I hate it. Maybe a drop bar set up would make it more tolerable.

Side note: Niner should get into the 700c business. If not road, at least CX? I'd love a CX version of the SIR9 that I could run SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Side note: Niner should get into the 700c business. If not road, at least CX? I'd love a CX version of the SIR9 that I could run SS.[/QUOTE]

+1 I would be a buyer for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The issue with drop bars on mtb's is that the top tubes are usually too long. CX and drop bar tourers all have shorter top tubes than mtb's to allow for the extra reach on the drop bars. However if Niner were to build a frame suitable for drop bars I am sure it would be awesome.

mtbr member
    All good stuff.. Looking for an EMD now to put some carbon forks on, and build something up!

The way I'm looking at this is.. I took my Jet9RDO out for a ride the other night on the road, and paved trails. I averaged about 16mph on it for 10 miles. This was with full on Nobby Nic 2.35 Tires at 18lbs.

The Jet9RDO is probably about 26lbs, it's built as a trail bike, vs. a racer, though I have carbon wheels on it.

I'm guessing I can get an EMD around 20lbs, even if I threw some 2.1's on there with light treat, I should be able to bring the MPH up, and go farther. Sounds like a hella fun time to me!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks interesting. The move makes sense, though I would've loved to have more clearance for larger tires to make the bike a bit more "unique".

New pressfit BB30 eccentric? I guess you'll be able to run the new Air 9 Carbon (and other bikes in their line up with the standard) as a single speed afterall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    Looks interesting. The move makes sense, though I would've loved to have more clearance for larger tires to make the bike a bit more "unique".

New pressfit BB30 eccentric? I guess you'll be able to run the new Air 9 Carbon (and other bikes in their line up with the standard) as a single speed afterall.
    yeah i'd really like to find out about this some more. I've got an Air 9 and it just doesnt feel like a true single speed with the singulator

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I guess I just found my next bike. Only wish it had a canti-brake option.

mtbr member
    I just picked up an Air 9 frame w/ carbon fork that I plan to build up for road use. I'll occasionally use it on the trail as well. A couple times a year I have guests that ride, and having an additional mountain bike will be nice. I had been thinking of getting a cross bike, but I think I will ride this more.

mtbr member
    Here is my Air9, set up for the road.

Niner on the Road?!?!-air9-4.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2