Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 559

Thread: Niner RLT9

  1. #1
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,395

    Niner RLT9

    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    495
    Thanks for posting the link. Pretty much everything my SS SIR 9 commuter is plus some. Personally I would prefer it with flat bars.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: five5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    460

    Niner RLT9

    Ah, beat me to it! Just saw that too! Nice!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,007
    Very cool.

  5. #5
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    482
    Niner has been very busy.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    985
    I would like one. Sell my Madone that I use for training and replace with a RLT and get a more versatile bike in the process.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,918
    Seems pricey. 2000.00 for a bike with 105 and Tiagra parts?

    You can get a 11sp Ultegra level CAADX for 2170.00?

    http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/916/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Very exciting news. This frameset looks to have all the features that salsa dropped the ball on with the warbird. Looks like niner might be getting more of my business, my old la cruz is getting a bit long in the tooth and will NOT be replaced by a bike that cannot double as a CX bike... this bike looks like it would do just fine as a backup CX race bike while primarily being a gravel grinder.

  9. #9
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,268
    I don't need another type of bike! Damn you Niner sending me these tempting emails.
    <Insert Quiver>

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    85
    I was shopping for a gravel grinder/xcross frame, guess I will be waiting a couple months!!
    2013 Niner Jet 9 RDO
    2011 Niner One 9
    2013 Trek Madone 7.9

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3
    Pretty colours gorgeous dropouts, pre-order deposit paid already...

    Excited

  12. #12
    Most Delicious
    Reputation: dr.welby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    So it's a light Cross-Check with discs?

    (not a bad thing)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    632

    Niner RLT9

    Any thoughts on how this might serve as a do a road/gravel/trainer for the non-road rider?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,918
    Seems like it. Its for the MTBer that don't want to be a roadie...but wants to ride road.

    Hope to see it at Interbike next week.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: five5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    460

    Niner RLT9

    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Seems like it. Its for the MTBer that don't want to be a roadie...but wants to ride road.

    Hope to see it at Interbike next week.
    Pretty much exactly how I'm looking at it. I'm in the middle of building a rigid, Niner for the road.. This just may do the trick instead. Though, may want a straight bar.. We'll see..

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    Why would they put a PF30 73mm shell on it? Who wants to run a MTB crank on a CX/Gravel bike? Hopefully that's a typo.

  17. #17
    wnymba-imba ~VP
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89

    Niner RLT9

    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Why would they put a PF30 73mm shell on it? Who wants to run a MTB crank on a CX/Gravel bike? Hopefully that's a typo.
    why would you want to run a road crank? it can go both ways. for me, who has lots of mtb parts...i can throw a crank on and ride. its becoming a new bb standard...
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

    Niner Air9C

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    No it's not. You can run a 73mm mountain crank on a 68 shell with some spacers. This is being marketed as a gravel and cx bike. Why put a "heavy" and wide MTB crank on a bike that is going to see use on mixed road surfaces. That just doesn't make sense. It's not a touring bike... you don't need super low gears. With the new range of mid cage road ders, you can easily run a 34T little ring with a 32T cog.

    In their promo shots they have it setup with a typical CX/gravel gearing setup on the cranks. Maybe it's just a typo?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Pretty much exactly how I'm looking at it. I'm in the middle of building a rigid, Niner for the road.. This just may do the trick instead. Though, may want a straight bar.. We'll see..
    Try drop bars. You'll like the multiple hand positions they give you. Thats the one thing I keep having to get used to when I ride my MTB...I only have one hand position with a flat bar.

  20. #20
    wnymba-imba ~VP
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89

    Niner RLT9

    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    No it's not. You can run a 73mm mountain crank on a 68 shell with some spacers. This is being marketed as a gravel and cx bike. Why put a "heavy" and wide MTB crank on a bike that is going to see use on mixed road surfaces. That just doesn't make sense. It's not a touring bike... you don't need super low gears. With the new range of mid cage road ders, you can easily run a 34T little ring with a 32T cog.

    In their promo shots they have it setup with a typical CX/gravel gearing setup on the cranks. Maybe it's just a typo?
    some spacers... i did that once. 3 was needed. messed up chain line real bad. it was a cx bike.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

    Niner Air9C

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    This frameset looks to have all the features that salsa dropped the ball on with the warbird.
    Where, do you feel, Salsa dropped the ball on the Warbird?
    I was pretty convinced that I would be getting a Warbird this winter, but the RLT9 now is on the list. I'm interested to hear what the +/- are for each bike (I know it's too early to tell on the RLT9... but the specs look decent).

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Where, do you feel, Salsa dropped the ball on the Warbird?
    I was pretty convinced that I would be getting a Warbird this winter, but the RLT9 now is on the list. I'm interested to hear what the +/- are for each bike (I know it's too early to tell on the RLT9... but the specs look decent).
    Salsa screwed up the warbird by building a bike that doesn't make sense. They routed the cables under the top tube so it's very inconvenient to use as a cyclocross or backup cx bike. They also made the mistake of going with a max tire clearance of 38c, making it not ideal for a number of gravel riders/racers... it's supposed primary purpose. Also, no fender and/or rack mounts is a downside to some.

    Niner fixed these problems by offering easily accessible internal cable routing, 45mm tire clearance, and a cleanly designed frame/fork that allows fenders.

    I appreciate that niner isn't going the way of salsa and offering bikes to a very fine niche while forgetting about easily/cheaply added functional specs that many appreciate... citing their philosophy as the reason.

  23. #23
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,298
    I like my Warbird, but I would much rather have the RLT than Salsa.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat_tires_are_fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    508
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

  25. #25
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    The $2k build is not bad. Its similar to the Warbird build but at a better price.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat_tires_are_fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    508
    Thank you... That probably makes sense since the frame and fork alone is over 1,000
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    I appreciate the Warbird & RLT comments. Good to hear from a Warbird owner as well. I think you guys changed my mind... I may go Niner. I look forward to the reviews.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    632

    Niner RLT9

    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    I'm in the same position (strictly Mtber looking for a do all road option with NO knowledge of road bike gear) and I appreciate the responses. This is definitely on my radar now!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    57
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get miles in during the weekdays once day light savings hits in a month and I really don't want to get a true 'road bike'. I live in Atlanta and want to pickup a bike to ride the city streets in the early morning before work.

    Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but would this bike be over/under kill for city riding? Wasn't sure if I need to cave and shop for a road bike...

  30. #30
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get miles in during the weekdays once day light savings hits in a month and I really don't want to get a true 'road bike'. I live in Atlanta and want to pickup a bike to ride the city streets in the early morning before work.

    Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but would this bike be over/under kill for city riding? Wasn't sure if I need to cave and shop for a road bike...
    Not overkill at all in my opinion. I use a Warbird as my gravel grinder and sometimes road bike. For what its worth, I'm more of a mountain biker, but I got the Warbird to do some gravel races that are put on locally and now I am in love with gravel grinding. The RLT seems like a good alternative to the Warbird and a do it all type of bike. $2k is not a bad price at all.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for the quick reply J3SSEB. One last question on sizing... Would I go for the 56cm frame at 5'10 - 5'11?

  32. #32
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply J3SSEB. One last question on sizing... Would I go for the 56cm frame at 5'10 - 5'11?
    I can't say with certainty what frame size you should be on, but I can say that typically someone in that range in stature would ride a 56cm or 55cm.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I'm in the same position (strictly Mtber looking for a do all road option with NO knowledge of road bike gear) and I appreciate the responses. This is definitely on my radar now!
    For the guys with little road knowledge, think of both 105 and Rival as roughly equivalent to SLX level components. Rival is slightly lighter, but I prefer shimano 105. Everyone has their own preferences so it'd be best to try both somewhere, the shifting action is different between shimano and sram. Both groupsets are great, so you'll be fine with either build.

    Once you get farther into the details the $3k build has a few upgrades over the $2k (crank, wheelset, hydro disc brakes, carbon seatpost). If I were buying now I'd likely opt for the $3k build primarily based on the wheels and hydro disc brakes, however the $2k build is well spec'd as well.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    For the guys with little road knowledge, think of both 105 and Rival as roughly equivalent to SLX level components. Rival is slightly lighter, but I prefer shimano 105. Everyone has their own preferences so it'd be best to try both somewhere, the shifting action is different between shimano and sram. Both groupsets are great, so you'll be fine with either build.


    Once you get farther into the details the $3k build has a few upgrades over the $2k (crank, wheelset, hydro disc brakes, carbon seatpost). If I were buying now I'd likely opt for the $3k build primarily based on the wheels and hydro disc brakes, however the $2k build is well spec'd as well.
    I ride about 2,000 miles a year on the road on a Trek Madone. I have a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra parts. I'm looking at selling my Madone and rolling the funds over to the RLT once it is available. I've been looking for a CX bike that might handle more like a MTB. I've thought about building a A9C with a rigid fork and drop bars to archive this. Now the RLT fits into my plan nicely.

    As far as components go. The 105 is closer to LX/X9 then any thing else. I'm going to get the base model and upgrade with a couple sets of wheels. One for the road and one for the dirt.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    23

    Compatible Chainsets

    Anyone have any ideas of some compatible double chainsets. Don't fancy using MTB ones.

    Niner have the following in their builds:

    SRAM S350
    SRAM S550

    Any other light non carbon options? Don't mind running a FP30 adapter for external BB or ISIS. It's the 73mm shells that's seems to kill the options available. Even the Shimano CX chainsets are 68mm only .

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    One of us should give Niner a call and confirm that spacing. I'm really thinking it's a typo. Those Sram cranks are PF30 road cranks. It is possible they have a longer spindle though.

    If it truly is PF30 with 73mm spacing, I bet you could run any 386 Evo style crankset though. Those work on pretty much any BB standard. I have an FSA model on a PF30 (68mm) CX frame and it requires spacers to make up the extra width missing on the BB shell.

  37. #37
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1234 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas of some compatible double chainsets. Don't fancy using MTB ones.

    Niner have the following in their builds:

    SRAM S350
    SRAM S550

    Any other light non carbon options? Don't mind running a FP30 adapter for external BB or ISIS. It's the 73mm shells that's seems to kill the options available. Even the Shimano CX chainsets are 68mm only .
    Can someone care to take a few minutes to detail for me the deficiency associated with mountain bike cranksets on CX bikes? Is it simply Q factor and weight? Because there are numerous low profile and light weight options. Is it the available bolt patterns and ring sizes?

    Thanks
    <Insert Quiver>

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    MTB cranks are great, on mountain bikes

    Basically what you've said. MTB cranks are typically heavier and much wider than a standard road/cx crankset. Even a Sram narrow Q MTB crankset is about 10mm wider than a typical road crank. That's actually a lot and can mess with some people's knees.

    Also, your mention of bolt patterns and chainrings are most relevant. A gravel bike or CX bike would typically be a 110mm bolt pattern, with something like a 46/36 chainring setup. You can run down to a 33T ring on that bolt pattern and up to 53T rings are easily found.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    985
    This build looks like SRAM Red. I can't zoom in enough on the picture though to confirm for sure. That would open up alot of option for cranks.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    S550 and S350 are both 68mm road cranks normally. 73mm is either a typo, or these cranks are being custom made for niner with a 73mm compatible spindle length.

    Personally I'd prefer 68mm primarily due to the increase in the number of crank options.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    That pic is of a Red BB30 crank. So, most likely a typo.

    But, some sram cranks (like the BB30 models used on the quarq power meters) have a longer spindle to let them work on 386 evo frames and with BSA30 BB cups on normal threaded frames as well. So, it's hard to say 100%. But, it's looking highly like a typo.

  42. #42
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    My guess is that it's 73mm with the BioCentric 30 installed, 68 for a regular PF30. That would mean if you wanted to run SS you'd be looking at an MTB crankset but if you go PF30 then any road model should fit.

    I might be wrong, but it seems logical. Niner can chime in.

    JMH

  43. #43
    recent MTB mania victim
    Reputation: ealaidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    45
    Oooo, this has me looking at Niners again! I already have a nice MTB for tracks and rough stuff... but I'd love a good-looking yet robust second bike that I could commute on; ride on the road when off-road is too muddy; do some light touring; and ride lots of gravel miles in a South Island summer. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    632
    Any word on ETA?

  45. #45
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    605
    Why did they go aluminum? Salsa did the same. I always hear al is more rough on your back than steel or carbon. I'm not putting it down, just curious. I have a steel cx and mtb ss and love it. Great looking bike none the less.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Placed my order at the LBS yesterday. They mentioned I should have it in less than a month.
    On sizing... I had my mind set on a 59cm (I am 6'1"), but the guys at the shop strongly encouraged me to go 56 based on the frame's geometry. (the good news is they will be getting a 56 and 59 at the same time and I will have my pick. But they are betting I will go with the 56).

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    My guess is that it's 73mm with the BioCentric 30 installed, 68 for a regular PF30. That would mean if you wanted to run SS you'd be looking at an MTB crankset but if you go PF30 then any road model should fit.

    I might be wrong, but it seems logical. Niner can chime in.

    JMH
    Just got an email back from Niner & the BB shell is 73mm.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    23
    Another eMail from Niner. Its a typo & the BB shell is actual 68mm. Yeah.

    Hi.

    I have to apologize the BB shell width is 68 mm on that frame. There was a mistake on the web site that we are fixing.

    Ride On!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,904
    Awesome!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Couloirman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    198
    Almost pulled the trigger on a new warbird a few days ago but glad I spent more time goolging and found this! Anyone receive theirs yet?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 09:33 AM
  2. Paid Spam: Niner EMD9 SIR9, Niner Parts for sale
    By goldenaustin in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM
  3. Paid Spam: Niner EMD9 SIR9, Niner Parts for sale
    By goldenaustin in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 12:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
  5. Paid Spam: XL Niner Air 9 Carbon Bike w/Niner Fork
    By nuckingfuts2 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •