Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

Carbon & Ti rule

Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for posting the link. Pretty much everything my SS SIR 9 commuter is plus some. Personally I would prefer it with flat bars.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Ah, beat me to it! Just saw that too! Nice!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very cool.

greedy
    Niner has been very busy.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would like one. Sell my Madone that I use for training and replace with a RLT and get a more versatile bike in the process.

mtbr member
    Seems pricey. 2000.00 for a bike with 105 and Tiagra parts?

You can get a 11sp Ultegra level CAADX for 2170.00?

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/916/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very exciting news. This frameset looks to have all the features that salsa dropped the ball on with the warbird. Looks like niner might be getting more of my business, my old la cruz is getting a bit long in the tooth and will NOT be replaced by a bike that cannot double as a CX bike... this bike looks like it would do just fine as a backup CX race bike while primarily being a gravel grinder.

USED2COULD
    I don't need another type of bike! Damn you Niner sending me these tempting emails.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    I was shopping for a gravel grinder/xcross frame, guess I will be waiting a couple months!!
    2013 Niner Jet 9 RDO
    2011 Niner One 9
    2013 Trek Madone 7.9

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Pretty colours gorgeous dropouts, pre-order deposit paid already...

Excited

Most Delicious
    So it's a light Cross-Check with discs?

(not a bad thing)

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Any thoughts on how this might serve as a do a road/gravel/trainer for the non-road rider?

mtbr member
    Seems like it. Its for the MTBer that don't want to be a roadie...but wants to ride road.

Hope to see it at Interbike next week.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Seems like it. Its for the MTBer that don't want to be a roadie...but wants to ride road.

Hope to see it at Interbike next week.
    Pretty much exactly how I'm looking at it. I'm in the middle of building a rigid, Niner for the road.. This just may do the trick instead. Though, may want a straight bar.. We'll see..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why would they put a PF30 73mm shell on it? Who wants to run a MTB crank on a CX/Gravel bike? Hopefully that's a typo.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Why would they put a PF30 73mm shell on it? Who wants to run a MTB crank on a CX/Gravel bike? Hopefully that's a typo.
    why would you want to run a road crank? it can go both ways. for me, who has lots of mtb parts...i can throw a crank on and ride. its becoming a new bb standard...
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No it's not. You can run a 73mm mountain crank on a 68 shell with some spacers. This is being marketed as a gravel and cx bike. Why put a "heavy" and wide MTB crank on a bike that is going to see use on mixed road surfaces. That just doesn't make sense. It's not a touring bike... you don't need super low gears. With the new range of mid cage road ders, you can easily run a 34T little ring with a 32T cog.

In their promo shots they have it setup with a typical CX/gravel gearing setup on the cranks. Maybe it's just a typo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Pretty much exactly how I'm looking at it. I'm in the middle of building a rigid, Niner for the road.. This just may do the trick instead. Though, may want a straight bar.. We'll see..
    Try drop bars. You'll like the multiple hand positions they give you. Thats the one thing I keep having to get used to when I ride my MTB...I only have one hand position with a flat bar.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    No it's not. You can run a 73mm mountain crank on a 68 shell with some spacers. This is being marketed as a gravel and cx bike. Why put a "heavy" and wide MTB crank on a bike that is going to see use on mixed road surfaces. That just doesn't make sense. It's not a touring bike... you don't need super low gears. With the new range of mid cage road ders, you can easily run a 34T little ring with a 32T cog.

In their promo shots they have it setup with a typical CX/gravel gearing setup on the cranks. Maybe it's just a typo?
    some spacers... i did that once. 3 was needed. messed up chain line real bad. it was a cx bike.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    This frameset looks to have all the features that salsa dropped the ball on with the warbird.
    Where, do you feel, Salsa dropped the ball on the Warbird?
    I was pretty convinced that I would be getting a Warbird this winter, but the RLT9 now is on the list. I'm interested to hear what the +/- are for each bike (I know it's too early to tell on the RLT9... but the specs look decent).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Where, do you feel, Salsa dropped the ball on the Warbird?
    I was pretty convinced that I would be getting a Warbird this winter, but the RLT9 now is on the list. I'm interested to hear what the +/- are for each bike (I know it's too early to tell on the RLT9... but the specs look decent).
    Salsa screwed up the warbird by building a bike that doesn't make sense. They routed the cables under the top tube so it's very inconvenient to use as a cyclocross or backup cx bike. They also made the mistake of going with a max tire clearance of 38c, making it not ideal for a number of gravel riders/racers... it's supposed primary purpose. Also, no fender and/or rack mounts is a downside to some.

Niner fixed these problems by offering easily accessible internal cable routing, 45mm tire clearance, and a cleanly designed frame/fork that allows fenders.

I appreciate that niner isn't going the way of salsa and offering bikes to a very fine niche while forgetting about easily/cheaply added functional specs that many appreciate... citing their philosophy as the reason.

Bicycle Addict
    I like my Warbird, but I would much rather have the RLT than Salsa.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    The $2k build is not bad. Its similar to the Warbird build but at a better price.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast