Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RLT9

252K views 774 replies 204 participants last post by  thesergeant 
#1 ·
#467 ·
I have run 25mm Michelin Pro4 service course tires with no problem at all. I'm currently running 28mm continental gatorskins with no issues either. The stock 3 star rims say 23mm outer, 17.7mm inner, 20.2 mm depth...for whatever that's worth. As an update to my earlier post, I've decided to get a 700x40 schwalbe smart sam for the front. The 45mm was just too close and was a pain to get exactly in the center to avoid rubbing. The rear 45mm has plenty of room though.

#468 ·
Lots of great info in this thread, thanks for sharing guys.

I'm looking to pick up a RLT 9 Steel 2* in the very near future. There is a not so LBS (around 100 miles away) that has both the 56 and 59 2* Steels in stock. Being that I'm 6'0" with about 31ish inseam I'm gonna make the drive up to actually try both bikes. Seeing as how my Defy was tricky to fit and I know I'm picky about how a bikes feels I definitely would like to get my ass on the seat before I make the call.

My only reservation is they've had them on the floor before Niner did the upgrade to the 15mm thru axle on the fork so they both have the 9mm QR. They have them listed for the MSRP of $2500 but as we all know they'll probably knock some off. What do you guys think is a good price for a build with the QR fork?

I feel like I want to support a brick and mortar store that's been in community and is actually giving me the opportunity to ride the bike before I buy, but I don't want to overpay for that. I wonder if Niner would swap the fork and what that would cost...hmm.

#472 ·
I went with the 56. I'm a tad over 6'0" with a 31 inseam and while the 59 was do-able as well, the 56 felt more comfortable overall.

What's funny is I went in wanting the Gray/Orange but once I saw the White/Red in person it won me over.

#473 ·
I went with the 56. I'm a tad over 6'0" with a 31 inseam and while the 59 was do-able as well, the 56 felt more comfortable overall.

What's funny is I went in wanting the Gray/Orange but once I saw the White/Red in person it won me over.
I have a mild obsession with green bikes, but when I saw both alloy colors in person I honestly can't decide which one I want, because the white/gray/orange is juts gorgeous in person. My plan is to wait until the end of the year and get a 4-star build at about the 2-star price like you can get right now on the 2015s, so perhaps the availability will force my hand on one color or the other.

#477 ·
In my experience, the Niner-specified max of 42c is accurate. I went with Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45c and although they rolled great on the stand, fit was very tight. I went for a ride in really muddy conditions last night and it was a mucky mess, I nearly got stranded. Unless you live in dry conditions or ride only on asphalt, you need a little extra tire clearance to pass mud.

I just trimmed off all the side knobs and got the tires back down to a nice size, so I don't have to discard them.

#478 ·
In my experience, the Niner-specified max of 42c is accurate. I went with Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45c and although they rolled great on the stand, fit was very tight. I went for a ride in really muddy conditions last night and it was a mucky mess, I nearly got stranded. Unless you live in dry conditions or ride only on asphalt, you need a little extra tire clearance to pass mud.

I just trimmed off all the side knobs and got the tires back down to a nice size, so I don't have to discard them.
I'm running the clement mso 40's on 700c wheels.

I think what we are looking to see
If it would fit was the 640x48 WTB wheels and tires. Like what's on the cannondale.

#479 ·
I am considering one of these pretty heavily. What kind of weights are peoples RLT's coming in at?
Really wanting that steel frame, anyone with experience think its worth the price jump? I've never ridden steel on anything but a bmx bike and kind of really want to!

#480 ·
I picked up an RLT Steel to replace my Ridley cross bike (which was used exclusively for gravel road rides, and biking around town). I wanted a steel grinder, but was not in love with the lower quality steel options (lower quality steel, not lower quality bikes - Surly, Salsa, Soma, etc.). The other option for steel tended to be on the bespoke end of the market with beautiful options from Mosaic, Reeb, etc., and price tags to match.

The Reynolds 853 steel with carbon fork is exactly what I was looking for - with a reasonable price tag.

I have a CX1 build, with Grails, WTB Nano Race 40c tires, stans, Crank Bro mallets, small saddle bag with spare tube. Weight comes to 23.9 lb. Definitely not the lightest bike for the $, but it is a beautiful ride (and a beautiful bike!). Go for it. :)

#481 ·
I read this thread about 10 times... and being just shy of 5'10" with an inseam just under 31", still had no clue what size to order!

Being a popular height... can everyone who's 5'10"-ish post your height, inseam and a picture of how your RLT is setup with seatpost height/setback, and stem length/angle/spacers?

#482 ·
Go with the 56cm Medium. You are within the recommended height. Reach can be adjusted with various stem length once you're fitted to the bike.

RLT 9 STEEL
RLT 9

I read this thread about 10 times... and being just shy of 5'10" with an inseam just under 31", still had no clue what size to order!

Being a popular height... can everyone who's 5'10"-ish post your height, inseam and a picture of how your RLT is setup with seatpost height/setback, and stem length/angle/spacers?

#483 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking at first, but the 56 has a 32" standover....

Also, compared to a bike I test rode I'd probably need a 80mm or shorter stem (maybe I have short arms). That's why I'm curious how people have their bikes setup... I'd rather run a setback post with 120mm stem than a straight post with the seat slammed on the top tube and 80mm stem.

#486 ·
Does the RLT9 need to handle more like a mountain bike or more like a road bike for you?

The reason roadies use undersized frames is so that they can draft better; the long stem puts you closer to the person in front of you. Also, setback posts give a less efficient pedaling stance.

I have the 62cm RLT9 but I ride a 60 on the road. Although I didn't realize it when buying, I now appreciate the more stable handling of the big bike. Yes standover is higher but as long as you can bail out the family jewels safely, a bigger bike with a shorter stem will be a more confident ride.

#484 ·
I'm just over 5'10, 31.5 in seam. Niner recommends a 56,but sitting on a 53 and a 56, I ended up with the 53. Currently running a 100 mm Thomson 10° and a Thomson setback seatpost. Around 20 mm of spacers under the stem. Plenty of seatpost showing to soak up the rough roads. Looking to move to a 110 stem to stretch out a bit more.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#485 · (Edited)
I'm just over 5'10, 31.5 in seam. Niner recommends a 56,but sitting on a 53 and a 56, I ended up with the 53. Currently running a 100 mm Thomson 10° and a Thomson setback seatpost. Around 20 mm of spacers under the stem. Plenty of seatpost showing to soak up the rough roads. Looking to move to a 110 stem to stretch out a bit more.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Happen to have a picture?

Jenson has these on sale with Ultegra components and Notubes wheels. The 53cm comes with 100mm 8* stem already. Sounds like it might fit ok out of the box. The 56cm comes with 115mm stem.

#487 ·
It's going to be primarily a road bike, and hit some fire roads on occasion. No single track.

I'm coming off an oversized road bike that I had to put a short stem on. Problem with a short stem is sensitive steering (why I like it on my mtb for quick response). I'd prefer a longer stem on the road to help track straight when in a pace line by slowing the steering response.

.... and I'd really like to keep the jewels safe as well. We don't play on having accidents but we still wear helmets, right? Lol I guess that could be taken multiple ways

#488 ·
I just got my RLT alum 2016, awesome bike, custom build from Jensonusa, I have a question for you guys, I plan to use this bike as road bike too, What kind of tire i can use for road, pavement. i have the schwalbe super swan 35c, but im looking for something with less knobs and rolling resistance. for gravel i plan to get the maxxis ramble 40c or clements xplo. I`m really new on this Gravel/Road but weather force me to leave my MTB store and shine clean ( Trail close By infinity amount of rain here in Dallas)

#494 ·
Well, I have read all 20 pages of this thread, plus every review I could find online. I'll have to say that unless these start spontaneously combusting, it will be my next bike. I have determined that I want the steel in the grey/orange combo, but I'm not really sold on any of the present offering of pre built bikes. The problem is that the frames in my size, are not available from Niner, or anyone else's stock that I can find. I guess it is part of a smaller manufacturer making a stellar product, and not being able to keep up. I certainly hope it is worth the wait.

#497 ·
The fit shouldn't be hard to rough-in. Seat height so you get a slight bend in your knee at 6 o-clock pedal position. Use of plumb-bob off your knee to set the seat fore-aft so that it passes through your pedal spindle when at 3 o-clock pedal position. When sitting and on your hoods, your f. hub should be obscured by your h-bar. To me, your bar is rotated down too much - I would rotate your bar up so that the bottom of the bar is parallel with the ground...you may need to rotate your hoods in the process...just doesn't look right to me. I always vote for riding/messing with fit yourself first before paying hundreds of dollars for what usually amounts to v. little adjustment for most folks.

#498 ·
Thanks for your helpTiGeo, yes i already rotate the stem and fix the handle bar, i also adjust the seat height to match my mtb, so far that adjustments feel way better, i`m working on my attack position, this week end i will do a 20 miles pavement route so i can get more feedback. bike feels good, a little stiff on the road. What you guys think about the suspension seatpost?, i found a few cheaper on the 25$ up mark

#501 ·
My 2016 RLT

It's also my commuter and roadie. I've got a set of Stan's alpha 340 with Hutchinson tubeless 28s and a 11-32 cassette.

Getting some chatter from the front TRP hyrd, seems that this is due to the stock pads.

The Specialized Renegade 1.8 fit well, and the 11-36 cassette paired with the 50-34 crankset provides plenty of range.

Struggling to find the time to get out on gravel, managed to squeeze in a few muddy hours on the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.