Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RLT9

252K views 774 replies 204 participants last post by  thesergeant 
#1 ·
#422 ·
Hey guys, recently been thinking of getting a steel RLT9, right now I ride a Salsa Vaya and it is a great bike but just a little on the heavy side at around 27-28lbs. Anyone have experience with both bikes? Think I'd most likely go with a 3-4* build and was hoping that would be in the low 20lb range in a size 56.
I've gotten into long gravel rides (50-200 mile) and need a comfortable lighter bike. Any help is appreciated

#423 ·
The RLT 9 steel is not a very light frame at all, it's oversized and burly, 7 lbs including fork. The Vaya appears to be titanium, so I'd imagine it's lighter? I find the RLT 9 steel to be very stable and comfortable, for some reason Niner's geometry really appeals to me, I think it's the oversized tubes and the long TT. Also I personally like the first-gen steel RLT9's color scheme the best, silver bare-metal with safety-blaze orange is perfectly functional for a commuter.

Unless you have fit issues with the Vaya, I'd keep it. If anyone wants to buy a steel Voodoo Wazoo frame 58cm, still in decent condition, let me know. The only reason I switched was because it was too small for me.

#431 ·
I order a RLT 105 from Jenson, just too good of a deal to pass up. I haven't even received the bike yet, but am already thinking of going 1x11. I run all my Mtb this way love the smoothness and quiet and frankly I just like the looks better.

So on the with FSA crankset, is there anything special I need to know? I assume the standard raceface N/W will fit. Should I pick up a clutch deraileur or give the 105 a shot first. The bike is mainly going to be used for smooth singlestrack and gravel paths, no plans for CX yet

#433 · (Edited)
Alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts?

Anyone know of another bike that is an alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts, but is a bit less expensive? Seems to be a nice bike, but as others have said its a bit overpriced....perhaps because there isnt really another mass-manufactured steel bike like it? Thanks!

#438 ·
Anyone know of another bike that is an alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts, but is a bit less expensive? Seems to be a nice bike, but as others have said its a bit overpriced....perhaps because there isnt really another mass-manufactured steel bike like it? Thanks!
http://www.konaworld.com/roadhouse.cfm

Only a bit cheaper though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#445 ·
Nice looking RLT. But the frame looks giant. I'm between sizes according to Niner's site, and am considering the L and XL. The XL has a standover height of 34.4" which seems too tall for me. I'm 6'2" and wear a 34" inseam jean (not sure of my true cycling inseam). If you don't mind, how tall are you, and what's your inseam? Any recommendations?

#447 ·
I'm just under 5'10", and it looks like others around this height have gone with either a 53 or 56. Were any of you able to test both sizes? I was able to test ride a 56 this weekend, but the shop didn't have any 53s. I felt really good on the 56, as the reach to the bars was comfortable, and I believe the test bike had a 90mm stem. My concern has to do with the fact that I had to lower the seat so much that the seat post bottomed out on the water bottle mount screws. I'm starting to wonder if a 53 wouldn't be better, but I also don't want a huge saddle to bar drop. Just wondering if it sounds like a 53 with a longer stem would be better, or if I should stick with the 56? I'd also like to run a bag like a Revelate, but they recommend an minimum of 5 inch exposed seat post for this to fit. Any advise/experience would be great. Thanks!

#448 ·
I'm just over 5'10 and I ended up with a 53. I was able to get a leg over both sizes and the 56 felt stretched out. I'm still experimenting with fit on mine, I've gone from a 90 to 110 stem, I think a 100 with a bit of lay back in the seatpost will be where I end up.
The benefit of having plenty of exposed seatpost will be the ride quality, especially if you go for something with a fair bit of flex like the RDO post or a Syntace hi flex.

#449 ·
I'm just over 5'10 and I ended up with a 53. I was able to get a leg over both sizes and the 56 felt stretched out. I'm still experimenting with fit on mine, I've gone from a 90 to 110 stem, I think a 100 with a bit of lay back in the seatpost will be where I end up.
The benefit of having plenty of exposed seatpost will be the ride quality, especially if you go for something with a fair bit of flex like the RDO post or a Syntace hi flex.

Thanks! I didn't even think about a longer seat post being a little more comfortable/compliant.

#450 · (Edited)
My new addition

I totally forgot to post a picture of my addition to the Niner family. I love this bike.
Upgrades
TRP Spyres
WTB Nano tubless tires 40C
RDO seatpost for comfort (really helps)
Took my arches off my Jet9 and put them on the RLT
Built new carbon wheels with king hubs for my Jet9 :thumbsup: It had to be done really...I did not like the wheels that came on the RLT.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

#451 ·
Joining the club. First ride on my RLT Steel IMBA Edition yesterday.

First thing I did was swap out the interesting Schwalbe G-One's for some beefy WTB Nano 40C's. Race version mounted up tubeless nicely.

59cm, I'm about 6'1". Great fit.

Factory pickup, Greg @ Niner was AWESOME to work with:
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Niner IMBA Edition Wall of Fame
Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

First Ride - 3K vertical with MUD - foothills west of Boulder, CO
Winter Branch Freezing Snow Trunk

Yellow Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

Synthetic rubber Electric blue Composite material Bicycle Bicycle tire

#454 ·
I've recently added a RLT 9 to my bike quiver due too peer pressure to signed up for a 100 mile gravel race. The deals on the RLT 9's were too hard to pass up. Its a 2* build and I've upgraded brakes, bars and seat. At this time I'm not looking to purchase new wheels (unless someone has a great deal). So I'm looking to see who has set up the Niner Wheels tubeless with Nano 40C's. I've heard that the Niner wheels are made by stans and the WTB Nano tubeless doesn't work well.

So question. Has anyone setup the WTB race tubeless on the stock Niner wheels? Before I drop $160 on new tires and Stans, I would like to know my chances of it working.

Thanks in advance.

#458 ·
Guys, I want to convert my RLT9 Steel 3 Star Rival Bike to 1X. Does anybody know if I can run an XD driver body on the stock rear hub? Niner didn't know when I emailed support, and said Formula makes the hubs for them. I was unable to get any response from anyone at formula. I'd really like to avoid buying a new wheel if possible.

• Does someone make an XD driver that'll fit my rear hub?
  • I should be able to just run a single ring on my existing rival crank right?

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire

#538 ·
Guys, I want to convert my RLT9 Steel 3 Star Rival Bike to 1X. Does anybody know if I can run an XD driver body on the stock rear hub? Niner didn't know when I emailed support, and said Formula makes the hubs for them. I was unable to get any response from anyone at formula. I'd really like to avoid buying a new wheel if possible.

• Does someone make an XD driver that'll fit my rear hub?
  • I should be able to just run a single ring on my existing rival crank right?

View attachment 1052043
Hi,
Did you end up buying a new wheel (set)?

I got the Rival 1 rear derailleur, then 10-42T, realized needed XD driver, so got that and then also likely only compatible with 1x, so decided to go 38T. Yes, read that the Rival22 has a removable spider so can just buy the 1x chainring.

Now, am told the stock hub doesn't work with the XD driver body (which comes with a freehub). So will buy another wheel (set).

I suppose the next update should be gearing options for the RLT 9 Steel.

#459 ·
New Build

Just received NOS 53cm. Wasn't sure of size but at 5'9" and 30" inseam I went with 53. Standover is okay. Head tube could be 20mm shorter but the rest of the bike fits perfect.

Swapped parts over from Ridley Cross Fire and this bike rides SO MUCH BETTER.

Ultegra Di2 build with XTR crank for gravel grinding.
20.5 lbs with Stans 340 frt and 400 rear and XT pedals.
21.5 with Crossmax wheelset and oldschool RS suspension (pogostick) post.

First ride yesterday and it is super nice.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

#460 ·
There should be no problem with putting a narrow wide chainring on the crankset and best bet is to use a Shimano 11 speed cassette in the back. That is probably your only option to avoid having to get a new wheelset and the Xt and xtr cassettes pay fine with the SRAM rear derailleurs

#463 · (Edited)
I have a 53 cm rlt9 steel and I'm 5'8". Feels like the perfect size for me, but I didn't have a chance to ride the 56cm so I can't compare. I just mounted the schwalbe smart sam 700x45. The back tire fit fine with a few mm clearance on each side. The front tire was actually a tighter fit but I was able to get it in with no rubbing...had to rig some thin washers to center the wheel though and it's definitely maxed out.

Attachments

#464 ·
Hi guys, I have a question about the stock 2016 2-and-3-star Niner CX alloy wheels. What is the rim width? I suspect that it's 19mm.

Similarly, has anyone mounted and used 25c tires on them? That's as low as I'd want to go for full-pavement rides, and if I could, then I could use the RLT as my single road/drop bar bike and finance my purchase with my old roadies and CX rides. I'm planning to thin out the herd anyway.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.