Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RLT9

252K views 774 replies 204 participants last post by  thesergeant 
#1 ·
#393 ·
So, a steel RLT 9 showed up on the French Niner Facebook page but I/we can't find any more info. on it anywhere. Anyone know anything? I'm curious if the Frenchies accidentally let the cat out of the bag or it's an early April Fools joke.

I just went to look for the post again and it's been removed... I know that because I messaged it to a friend and the post in messenger says it's been removed.

#394 ·
Tubeless tire question. I just ordered an RLT and a pair of Stans Grail wheels. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out if the WTB Nano 40c tires will mount up tubeless. It appears that Stans says no the the tubeless TCS version. Anyone used the WTB TCS with Grails? Or will the race version work well? Thanks.

#402 ·
Hi all you Niner fans

It's been 10 years since I've biked (mountain) and I'm finally getting back into the saddle. I just ordered a Niner RLT 9 Steel 4-Star build in grey and fortunately Niner has it in stock, there IS an upside to needing a 62cm frame.

And of course, I'll post pictures when it arrives.

#408 ·
RLT 9 Steel commuter

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Hi all, here's today's shop photo from my new commuter build a steel RLT 9, size XL! I am so excited about this bike after cobbling together a solution for years from a Voodoo Wazoo. The Wazoo in 58cm wasn't a bad bike, but it was a little too small for me and not nearly as hot looking as the RLT!

My commute is about 50 miles; I hit some gravel roads, and more importantly I have to roll over glass on the roadside. I tried every tire, tubeless, including the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Continental Super Sport Plus; basically the toughest air-filled tires you can get, and unfortunately, they still eventually succumbed to glass shards.

I'm giving the Tannus Aether 1.1s in 28mm width a try and am very hopeful I'll like them. I've also got some 23s on my trainer wheels for my road bike and they're surprisingly unnoticeable.

Other kit includes a mix of low/midrange Shimano and SRAM drivetrain 1x10 with a 44t Wolf Tooth ring, Time ATAC pedals, Mavic Crossride wheels, and the new TRP dual piston mechanical disc brakes. The headlight is on there now, the tail light, cages (3 for summer, wahoo), and Revelate Designs seat bag are to come. The old 140mm stem is on there just for show, I'll be slamming it with a proper 120mm as soon as it comes in.

#411 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

It rides really smoothly. The Tannus solid tires are kind of slow but actually feel really good. The max width of 44 mm tires is huge so I could easily go the other way. But frame-wise, it feels comfortable, but very solid due to the big tubes. The head tube is a little taller than what I'm used to but I got it down with a -16 stem.

Overall I'm just thrilled about this bike. For training/casual riding/commuting you really should go with steel; save the carbon fiber for racing.

#410 ·
Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle stem
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Finally got around to posting images of my RLT9. Had it for about 3 months.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on sizing. I'm 5'10, ended up going with the 56cm and it has been a great choice.

Specs

Rims: Iron Cross Team
Hubs: SRAM X9
Cranks: SRAM S550
Pedals: Shimano M530
Brakes/Levers: SRAM S700 shifters and brakes
Front/rear derailleurs: SRAM Rival
Bars/stem/post: Easton EA70
Saddle: Fizik Tundra2

#413 ·
i just picked up the RLT 9 Steel 2 star and really couldn't be happier. still tweaking the build but will post pictures in a week or so when i'm done. swapped out the stock handlebars for salsa cowchippers for starters to get me more leverage in the drops off-road.

#415 ·
Niner Carbon fork "Shuttering"?

Hello All,

This might not be the right place to ask this, but for those that have a Niner carbon fork (Niner Carbon Rigid 29" 9mm), does anyone get a bit of a shutter or vibration when applying the front brake? Maybe wrong rotors, any ideas? I have a SRAM XX1 hydro brakes..

Many thanks and enjoy a weekend on the trails. Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#418 ·
PFS (strem too),

Many thanks, the head-sets solid, I think it's either the pads or the rotors, but pads would obviously be a cheaper fix, I think the Niner carbon probably amplifies this slip/bike/slip/bite. I'll give it a shot thanks...and yes couldn't help but throw a Ritchey in the mix, I love the feel of the Niner fork...and BTW the Niner's on this site a pretty too...

Dig it and thanks again

#419 ·
I recently crashed my RLT aluminum. Bike shop says it's fine. But I did notice that the wheel/tire sits closer to the drive side chainstay. It may have before and I didn't make note of it. Just figured I would ask if any of you see that on yours? Hopefully yes... I know the chain stays are asymmetrical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.