Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Right on. Best I can see if they don't have a sale is waiting till Jenson or Competitive have a 15% active junky day, which has happened a couple times in the past few months. Would at least ease the burden.

Wheel parts coming in this month so I gotta build them up then hunt for the frame. Yee haaaaw

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Do it - the steel frame is timeless. I've owned carbon frames and I never keep them for long (though they do call out the weight weenie in me).

I really wish Niner designed the steel frame (all frames really) with a threaded bottom bracket instead of the press fit. That's my only gripe.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lmike6453 View Post
    Thanks guys. Luckily I will receive my torque wrench in the mail today and will see if it is a spacer.

I will especially want to move it now knowing that it shouldn't be on top. Good thing the bike is newer and catching this now rather than later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    That's a spacer under the Niner YAWYD top cap. It is not one piece.
    I just did it tonight and everything lined up and torqued down great. Can't wait to enjoy the slightly higher handlebars now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Does anyone know the spoke nipple size for the Stans Grail rims that come with the RLT 9 steel?

Trying to make sure all my spokes are tight on a newer bike making sounds from the rear. Just bought a tension gauge.

I think it's these rims:
    https://www.notubes.com/grail-rims

mtbr member
    That's a spacer under the Niner YAWYD top cap. It is not one piece.
    Yup my bad.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member

Niner RLT builds refreshed

Looks like Niner just refreshed the RLT builds.

Niner RLT9-niner-rlt-updates.png
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Looks like Niner just refreshed the RLT builds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niner RLT updates.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1167513
    Interesting. I can't tell if all of those bullet points are good or bad things though.

The chain ring going from 36t to 34t gives more of a granny gear for climbs. Although the other going from 46t to 50t probably wouldn't benefit me much since I don't max out my cadence in the highest gear on a downhill.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not sure either. I've got a 1x setup on my RLT and don't see myself going to 2x ever again. Too bad Niner removed the 1x option.

I'm really surprised to see they went with Centerlock rotors only. I'm considering a carbon wheelset for the RLT and was set on going with 6-bolt hubs. After reading this I thought maybe I should switch to Centerlock. But with Santa Cruz's new Reserve wheelsets using 6-bolt, I'm feeling more comfortable with the 6-bolt option over Centerlock.

The rest of the items are definitely pluses IMO - even the little bar end plugs! Mine were prone to pop-out so I wrapped the inserts with electrical tape to keep them a bit more secured.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Niner RLT9-961522a2-5e45-41c7-82e1-536b526f19e5.jpg

Snagged a RLT Steel frame back in July after much research and inspiration from this thread, an absolute blast to ride.

Curious what’s the biggest 650b someone’s squeezes into the frame, ive seen a few 2” Maxxis Refuse builds, nothing higher or more knobby

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by o2dazone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	961522A2-5E45-41C7-82E1-536B526F19E5.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	1173420

Snagged a RLT Steel frame back in July after much research and inspiration from this thread, an absolute blast to ride.

Curious what’s the biggest 650b someone’s squeezes into the frame, ive seen a few 2” Maxxis Refuse builds, nothing higher or more knobby
    Looks great! I’ve got one of the white/orange alloy ones. Bike has been fantastic and rides excellent. I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo 27.5+
    2018 Niner SIR9 27.5+

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That steel looks great

Side note, has anyone ridden the alloy models with and without the thru axle? Interested in a build up of a used frame and was curious if the TA is worth it on these bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
    That steel looks great

Side note, has anyone ridden the alloy models with and without the thru axle? Interested in a build up of a used frame and was curious if the TA is worth it on these bikes

That steel frame is quite handsome. I bought the first iteration of the RLT9 (alloy) back in 2013? I've ridden it as a commuter, gravel grinder and on bike packing expeditions. My frame has quick release and I have no complaints. If I had to pick one bike (shudder) for the deserted island, this is the one.
    2003 Klein Palomino Race
    2009 Salsa La Cruz
    2010 Salsa Casseroll
    2012 Wilier Izoard XP
    2012 Surly Moonlander
    2013 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For perspective Clint Gibbs gave up his Aluminum RLT for a steel RTL because the AL was harsh. he has since given up his Steel RLT for a carbon RTL RDO because the steel was too limp.
    Personally I'll never buy/invest in another disc brake 9mm QR bike! well I shouldn't say never, we all have budgets! Times are changing I am guessing that 'soon' in the gravel/CX world 9mm QR wheel choices will be like trying to find a decent 26" MTB tires. choices will be slim. A Dead market! How long will the market supply 9mm QR end caps?
    My personal experience with 9mm QR vs thru axle, night and day difference. Take note it was different bikes, however it's been multiple bikes with the winner always being thru axle.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    9mm QR wheel choices will be like trying to find a decent 26" MTB tires. choices will be slim. A Dead market! How long will the market supply 9mm QR end caps?
    Sadly, in the Euro market, there will probably always be 26" tires as the Brits & Germans still find anything larger to be weird and refer to it as a trend.... 15 years later.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678