Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just heard from my dealer the new RLT 9's will be flat mount. Color scheme for the steel with gray, except the orange will be replaced with blue.

Does anyone have any images of the new paint scheme by chance?

Spencer

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Switched to the BSB 9 RDO, so I'm selling my white/green 59cm RLT 9 frameset (9/10 condition): 2015 Niner RLT 9 Frameset (Aluminum/Carbon) - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested, the Handsome Cycles Mud Butler fenders fit the alloy RLT nicely. The 40c Kenda Flitridge tires rubbed, so I switched to some smaller Vittoria Adventure Trails mounted tubeless. Nice tires, they held 40psi for a week with no sealant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    I ended up going with a 56cm. The standover height on the RLT Steel is pretty tall, and for my intended use it made sense to have some clearance. I normally fit a large Niner frame and 56cm frame fits me well. The 59cm has a standover height of 33.4" .
    Howís that working out for you? Iím the same height and inseam and based on every dimension I would use to normally use to determine fit, Iím leaning 56 (my ideal TT length is 57 with the RLT9 being 56.5) but every person on the internet, besides you, is saying 59. Looking for more of an Impala than a Cadillac. My gut is saying 56 with a 120mm stem.

The closest local shop that stocks Niner is an hour away and with Jensonís current price on a 3-star, I would feel awful going in for a spin just to order online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by actionpark View Post
    Howís that working out for you? Iím the same height and inseam and based on every dimension I would use to normally use to determine fit, Iím leaning 56 (my ideal TT length is 57 with the RLT9 being 56.5) but every person on the internet, besides you, is saying 59. Looking for more of an Impala than a Cadillac. My gut is saying 56 with a 120mm stem.

The closest local shop that stocks Niner is an hour away and with Jensonís current price on a 3-star, I would feel awful going in for a spin just to order online.
    The 56 BSB is nearly perfect. I'd go with a 56 again, but I also haven't hit any single track to see how it handles.

As I understand it, in an ideal fit the front hub should be hidden from the upright riding position by the handle bars, but my bars are probably 1.5 inches behind the hub. My riding position might be too far forward, but that might also be because I'm running the stem pretty high right now for commuting comfort.

If I were to buy another RLT, I'd definitely go with the 56cm. The 59 felt like a Cadillac to me. But keep in mind my experience is between an RLT and a BSB, so it's not 100% apples to apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by actionpark View Post
    Based on what I read on the Internet it seemed like 59cm was the way to go. But when I looked at the geometry and standover height, I started having doubts for my own fitment. I ended up calling Jenson and they asked around the shop. Their consensus was to go with 56cm, and now that I've got the bike, I agree.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Based on what I read on the Internet it seemed like 59cm was the way to go. But when I looked at the geometry and standover height, I started having doubts for my own fitment. I ended up calling Jenson and they asked around the shop. Their consensus was to go with 56cm, and now that I've got the bike, I agree.
    Good to know I'm not alone in this experience!

loud hubs save lives
    I was able to pick up a used frameset locally and have a general question about the cable routing.

Are you running full length cable housing between rear shifter and derailleur, and a full length from front shifter down to the bottom bracket exit hole?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_6520-large-.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_6523-large-.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_6524-large-.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_6525-large-.jpg  

loud hubs save lives

Niner RLT9

Got my new to me RLT9 built up this week with virtually all parts I had on hand.

Replaces a SS 29er I was using as a kid hauler and an old road bike I was using for the occasional 25-30 mile ride and on the trainer.

I think it's going to be a great do it all bike for me. First ride was to the playground.

Some new tires coming tomorrow and am planning on re-lacing these hope/flows to be hope/grail, which combined should drop almost 3 pounds

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Got the new RLT 9 Steel this weekend, it is amazing. It's my first experience with SRAM and hydraulic brakes and they are great so far. The robin egg blue was a bit of a surprise (promotional materials make it look darker), but honestly I like it better. It currently has 35mm tires on (real casing-to-casing width: 35.5mm), and even with the PDW fenders I think it can fit 40mms on. I like the stock Schwalbes though!

Last edited by Biggus Duckus; 02-20-2017 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Got my new to me RLT9 built up this week with virtually all parts I had on hand.

Replaces a SS 29er I was using as a kid hauler and an old road bike I was using for the occasional 25-30 mile ride and on the trainer.

I think it's going to be a great do it all bike for me. First ride was to the playground.

Some new tires coming tomorrow and am planning on re-lacing these hope/flows to be hope/grail, which combined should drop almost 3 pounds
    How does the chariot connect to the bike, thru axle or chain stay?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

loud hubs save lives

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by mapomatic View Post
    How does the chariot connect to the bike, thru axle or chain stay?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I have the QR version of the frame, so I just use the standard chariot mount, but I did have to file the mount a little

If I had the thru axle version I'd get one of these https://robertaxleproject.com/cargo-child-trailers/

Honestly I went for the QR frame to be able to easily swap between my normal QR, add the trailer mount, or put in my trainer's QR

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone know if a 46T direct mount front ring will fit on a RLT9 Steel? Would like to run 10-42 XO1 cassette with a 44 or 46T front ring but worried about clearance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHubTDI View Post
    Anyone know if a 46T direct mount front ring will fit on a RLT9 Steel? Would like to run 10-42 XO1 cassette with a 44 or 46T front ring but worried about clearance
    Doubtful but it would also depend on crankset/chainring combo with direct mount. It's about 40T max with an XX1 crankset/chainring.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    For those that have ridden a BSB and RLT, when properly geared, which has more of a road bike feel/handling?
    Thanks
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    For those that have ridden a BSB and RLT, when properly geared, which has more of a road bike feel/handling?
    Thanks
    The RLT 9. It's more stable thanks to its longer geo and lower bottom bracket. The BSB is pretty twitchy. However, I'd imagine there a number of road bikes with really short chainstays that handle pretty similar to the BSB, so it's probably splitting hairs.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Thanks
    I personally feel like the rlt is the road bike that everyone needs but doesn't know they need. I find most traditional road bikes to be designed around what pros need, not what the average rider needs. The rlt line is comfortable, stable, and versatile. It can take fenders and racks and it is designed to maximise rider enjoyment. Most road bikes are designed around narrow tires and pure speed. I can hang just fine on road rides with my rlt (especially if I swap 28c tires in). I just don't see why anyone would buy a traditional road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I personally feel like the rlt is the road bike that everyone needs but doesn't know they need. I find most traditional road bikes to be designed around what pros need, not what the average rider needs. The rlt line is comfortable, stable, and versatile. It can take fenders and racks and it is designed to maximise rider enjoyment. Most road bikes are designed around narrow tires and pure speed. I can hang just fine on road rides with my rlt (especially if I swap 28c tires in). I just don't see why anyone would buy a traditional road bike.
    My thinking exactly.

Riding CAAD8 now but RLT is my next bike. My only concern is that it seems heavy based on builds I see (56 shows 24 lbs) but I can't figure out of that is due to stock components or if the frame itself is heavier. I know it is tested to MTB standards so it might be a bit heavy. Although I am 220# so it might be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Appreciate the opinions.
    In the summer I'm mostly a roadie and put miles on my tarmac and was wondering which would give me the closest feel to a pure road machine.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
    My thinking exactly.

Riding CAAD8 now but RLT is my next bike. My only concern is that it seems heavy based on builds I see (56 shows 24 lbs) but I can't figure out of that is due to stock components or if the frame itself is heavier. I know it is tested to MTB standards so it might be a bit heavy. Although I am 220# so it might be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Niner publishes the frame & fork weights now:
    Is the RLT 9 Aluminum Gravel Bike for Me? ? Niner Bikes Life

For 56cm:
    alloy - 2.04 kg
    steel - 2.78 kg
    carbon - 1.65 kg

Whether the frames are heavy depends on whether you are comparing to road bikes designed for 28mm tires and pavement or to gravel bikes that fit wide tires and are singletrack approved.

The steel frame is lighter than most comparable steel bikes in the gravel category.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    hey guys.

I've a Cannondale CX1 in 54cm right now but I think about it to go back to steel cause I like the clean look. The white RLT Steel is on sale (50% off) right now in germany.
    I hassle a bit with the correct size. I'm 182cm tall and niner said 56 was the right choice. But as a bought my Cannondale the dealer said to me he do not sell me this Bike in 56.

Maybe a 90mm / 80mm Stem and the 56 fits perfect? What you mean?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhellmann View Post
    hey guys.

I've a Cannondale CX1 in 54cm right now but I think about it to go back to steel cause I like the clean look. The white RLT Steel is on sale (50% off) right now in germany.
    I hassle a bit with the correct size. I'm 182cm tall and niner said 56 was the right choice. But as a bought my Cannondale the dealer said to me he do not sell me this Bike in 56.

Maybe a 90mm / 80mm Stem and the 56 fits perfect? What you mean?
    You might want to test ride the 56cm first. The biggest difference between the 53 and 56 is the seat tube and stand over and height. With the 56cm your gaining about 2.5cm or 1 inch for both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordzkof View Post
    You might want to test ride the 56cm first. The biggest difference between the 53 and 56 is the seat tube and stand over and height. With the 56cm your gaining about 2.5cm or 1 inch for both.
    OK that sounds like 56 is fine. I thin when I go with ohne I must install a bit shorter Stem and I'm happy.

Other questionÖ
    Is the full Frame with 853 Steel or just TT, DT and ST?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Do you have any pics of your bike with the fenders? They look great on the Amazon pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    If anyone is interested, the Handsome Cycles Mud Butler fenders fit the alloy RLT nicely. The 40c Kenda Flitridge tires rubbed, so I switched to some smaller Vittoria Adventure Trails mounted tubeless. Nice tires, they held 40psi for a week with no sealant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Any pics? Wondering how the blue looks outside of their marketing photos

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I believe just the main triangle is 853

mtbr member

Are gravel bike frame weights similar to touring frame weights?

Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Niner publishes the frame & fork weights now:
    Is the RLT 9 Aluminum Gravel Bike for Me? ? Niner Bikes Life

For 56cm:
    alloy - 2.04 kg
    steel - 2.78 kg
    carbon - 1.65 kg

Whether the frames are heavy depends on whether you are comparing to road bikes designed for 28mm tires and pavement or to gravel bikes that fit wide tires and are singletrack approved.

The steel frame is lighter than most comparable steel bikes in the gravel category.
    Those weights are way off compared to what I received. My 62cm steel frame only is over 6lbs. By comparison my 64cm Soma smoothie ES (Tange Prestige) is 4.8lbs. My custom wily 29er mountain bike frame (ox platinum) is 4.4lbs. The fork is quite light though (1.4lbs).

I was expecting it to be around 5lbs so am quite shocked by the heft.

mtbr member
    If I can remember how to host the pics I'll post some tomorrow. The blue is a very light feminine baby blue. I was expecting the cyan blue color that is very popular right now. At least that's what the online pics looked like to me. I would have preferred a deeper blue, but it isn't terrible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by npstaehling View Post
    If I can remember how to host the pics I'll post some tomorrow. The blue is a very light feminine baby blue. I was expecting the cyan blue color that is very popular right now. At least that's what the online pics looked like to me. I would have preferred a deeper blue, but it isn't terrible.
    Thank you! Now all I need to hear is that it rides like sh!^ so my lust subsides. I really like the Red/White layout so like you the paint is another strike. Not that I have the $$$ to buy one anytime soon.

loud hubs save lives
    That color sounds more desirable to me!

mtbr member

Pics

I zip tied a shimano cassette in box for a blue reference if you have any shimano part boxes. You can see it is a very light blue.

Niner RLT9-ninercolor.jpg

Here is a pic of a 29X2.25 Schwalbe big apple mounted in the rear. It does spin, but rubs both chainstays. you would not want to ride it with this tire, but it gives an idea of just how much clearance the frame has. The fork has a lot less. The big apple doesn't even come close to mounting up front.

Niner RLT9-ninertire.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i think the blue looks pretty good (based on those last two photos). orange/silver is my favorite personally - hope they bring that back

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That baby blue looks dope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I am currently on my 3rd RLT RDO Frame set. I have had paint quality control issues with all three. First one right out of the box, sent back. Second frame set had paint coming off in little chunks when tightening down the rear Maxle and Rack Mount bolts. The bike shop torqued down the rear maxle and a chunk of paint came off and when I hand tightened the rack mount to less than 1nm a crack and chunk of paint came off.

Now on my 3rd frame set that Niner actually built up, but that even had paint issues near the bottom der hanger and rack mount bolts.

Niner said they have had no other complaints?? But I am batting 100% here with three bad frames.

Anyone out there having any paint issues with the new RLT RDO near that area?? Looks like over painting. Anyone?!?Niner RLT9-img_7433.jpgNiner RLT9-img_8089.jpgNiner RLT9-img_8113.jpgAttachment 1128804
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_2559.jpg  

loud hubs save lives

Niner RLT9

Updated my rlt9 with some more suitable wheels/tires, carbon bar and carbon force cranks

Had and old set of hope/flows on there and I rebuilt them to hope/pacenti forza/sapim laser

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTCBike View Post
    I am currently on my 3rd RLT RDO Frame set. I have had paint quality control issues with all three. First one right out of the box, sent back. Second frame set had paint coming off in little chunks when tightening down the rear Maxle and Rack Mount bolts. The bike shop torqued down the rear maxle and a chunk of paint came off and when I hand tightened the rack mount to less than 1nm a crack and chunk of paint came off.

Now on my 3rd frame set that Niner actually built up, but that even had paint issues near the bottom der hanger and rack mount bolts.

Niner said they have had no other complaints?? But I am batting 100% here with three bad frames.

Anyone out there having any paint issues with the new RLT RDO near that area?? Looks like over painting. Anyone?!?
    That sucks. Its likely that your frames all came out of the same run so if there is an issue then all frames would likely have the same issue. While not a big deal, especially since it seems like niner is taking care of you, it sure must be frustrating. I would suggest waiting a bit until they have a frame that doesnt have the issue. At least you can still ride and enjoy it in the mean time.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    That sucks. Its likely that your frames all came out of the same run so if there is an issue then all frames would likely have the same issue. While not a big deal, especially since it seems like niner is taking care of you, it sure must be frustrating. I would suggest waiting a bit until they have a frame that doesnt have the issue. At least you can still ride and enjoy it in the mean time.
    It does suck on a new bike and I sympathize completely but have to say the only one that gives me pause is the chip in the pic below. My experience is that no mater how hard I try to baby my bikes they still end up with chipped paint and scratches everywhere in pretty short order. I'd try to negotiate a price reduction on all other scratches but the one below would be unacceptable.

Niner RLT9-1128805-niner-rlt9-img_8113.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I absolutely wouldn't take that frame. I agree with the above comment though. The other little nicks and things, i could deal with... but that picture of the chip in the paint... not a chance. That's just asking for more problems with chipping and losing paint later on.
    SOLD 2015 Epic Expert WC (New bike in the works)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What is the max clearance on the rlt9 forks?
    Will it accommodate a horizon 650b ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I recently got one of the last few 2016 Aluminum RLT9's available. I ordered the 3 star build through Competitive Cyclist, and the backorder took almost 3 weeks. The day I got it, they pulled it from their site.

I'm 6'1" and typically like a smaller frame, but opted for the 59cm to get a little more room and less aggressive fit. I'm glad I did, as I feel the bike fits really well. I am trying a 90mm stem but might jump down to an 80mm.

First impressions have been great. I got about 20 miles of mixed road and crushed limestone in, along with some doubletrack grass walking trails. The bike is comfortable, responsive, and the group performs very well. I'm used to a single speed MTB and a fixed gear track bike so having some extra gears is welcomed, but a bit odd.

This last weekend I ran a cyclocross race here in IL and had a blast. Mixed terrain, hilly grass and pavement, with a random mound of melting snow to traverse which created quite a few spots of mud. The bike performed great, but the stock tires definitely struggled as the mud got thicker and the snow got softer (I managed to successfully ride down the pile 3 out of 4 laps, with one nutcase on the high standover top tube).

Overall I'm very impressed. For $2k I feel like it's a lot of bike. Should do everything I'm looking to do and give me a good platform to upgrade and tweak as my needs change
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_20170409_201937_575.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Received my RLT Steel 4 Star build last week and she is a beaut! Really nice looking bike. Tapered head tube looks a little funky with the skinny steel tubing....but I totally get the function over form decision there.

I am a little over 6'1" and the 59cm is a perfect fit. As far as comfort and ride quality goes, I am impressed. Always loved the way steel rides. The Ultegra group has been flawless and so smooth.

My only pet peeve is that the Niner carbon hoops are not designed to be tubeless. In speaking with Niner directly, they hemmed and hawed that while folks have been successful converting, there are no guarantees! Put some Stans tape, valves and some Orange seal and so far so good....but damn that seems like a miss on a $1500 wheelset. Fingers crossed.

This is the first time I have ever upgraded to a heavier bike (replaced Scott Addict).....but 100 miles in all feels right and psyched for some summer adventures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice!
    That 4 star steel RLT is in serious contention for my next bike. Good to know about the wheels not being specifically tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ YetiMan View Post
    Received my RLT Steel 4 Star build last week and she is a beaut! Really nice looking bike. Tapered head tube looks a little funky with the skinny steel tubing....but I totally get the function over form decision there.

I am a little over 6'1" and the 59cm is a perfect fit. As far as comfort and ride quality goes, I am impressed. Always loved the way steel rides. The Ultegra group has been flawless and so smooth.

My only pet peeve is that the Niner carbon hoops are not designed to be tubeless. In speaking with Niner directly, they hemmed and hawed that while folks have been successful converting, there are no guarantees! Put some Stans tape, valves and some Orange seal and so far so good....but damn that seems like a miss on a $1500 wheelset. Fingers crossed.

This is the first time I have ever upgraded to a heavier bike (replaced Scott Addict).....but 100 miles in all feels right and psyched for some summer adventures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just built up the RLT RDO in Blaze Yellow, while the paint looks fragile I have not had chipping issues like what you are experiencing though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The paint on my first rlt9rdo frame could be scratched off with my fingernails. Seatstays by the niner. Asked for a price reductions but it was so small I asked for a second frame. My second frame does not have paint scratched off directly out of the box, but it looks and feels pretty fragile around the the same area. Hopefully I don't have the chip problems. I have the Blaze Yellow and the color of paint is no where near the pictures on Niners site or in the internet, it is more green or neon green, like a safety vest. Oh well, if it rides and fits like I expect it to I can always get it repainted the way I want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interested, the RLT steel may be my next road bike. I've been rocking a 1985 schwinn super le tour steel bike with friction shifters for the last 3 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered the RLT9 steel frame yesterday. Should be here on tuesday.
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Just got the 1 star Tiagra build! Looking forward to cruising this thing as it will be my everyday, bike path, ride with the kids, utility bike.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For anyone that is interested I may be selling my barely used Green 2016 59cm RLT 9 Frame and fork. It is in perfect conduit with only 10 or so rides. It has also been protected with from day 1 with 3m tape. PM if interested, pics coming soon.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches or 176.5cm tall and looking at an RLT 9 alloy.
    I run a 74.5cm saddle height from the BB to the top-centre of the saddle.
    While the recommended sizing points to a 56cm, this would only leave 15cm of seatpost showing (centre of rails to the frame) - doesn't seem like much to me.
    The other issue is that I can only get a 56cm RLT where I live.
    So, is there anyone else in the 5' 9" range on a 56cm RLT?
    How does it look and ride?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 177 cm and on a 53. Better to deal with reach by changing stem length and have a reasonable amount of post showing to help smooth out the bumps.

mtbr member
    Niner RLT9-image.jpg

^I know every scenario is different, but I just got my 1 star and went with 59cm. Every bike I have had to this point is XL in size. The geometry of the RLT is different and I actually went 59 rather than 62. Glad I did.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys, I am looking at getting something flat mount... and the RLT has been on my lust list for a while. Why flat mount? Campy disc... must try. Must sell whatever I need to to make this happen.

So, my current road bike is a Lynskey R150 disc, with Shimano hydro components and the rest 105. Great bike, rides nice, LOVE disc brakes, but have been less than happy with my tubeless luck on pavement here in Boise, and refuse to go back to tubes. So, rather than just upgrade to the now flat mount R250, which is still an option, I am strongly considering getting an RLT and running some 35c Shwabble G One's (which I already have from a now dismantled Traitor Wander). My thinking is that with an RLT steel and wider, slightly dirt oriented tires, I may have better puncture luck, and I'll be able to safely explore those long gravel trails I ride past frequently. From the brief spell I spent on the Wander with the G one's, I noticed little, if any, difference in speed on pavement, but I did hit some singletrack and enjoy it, so from what I know, this seems like a logical idea.

Anyone have any feedback? I'm hoping the switch to an adv bike won't leave me feeling empty without a dedicated roadie, plus I could always throw on some skinnies and it should ride ok, right?

One extra bit of info, I am also considering the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal, however the link to the bike was broken last I checked. Would save al ittle money, but the HT* gets a little slack for my liking, and this will be mostly used on pavement to get to the dirt, or just for road rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Very happy with my 1x conversion, will be doing a 350mi bikepacking trip this weekend on it. Should be a great shakedown run.Niner RLT9-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Very happy with my 1x conversion, will be doing a 350mi bikepacking trip this weekend on it. Should be a great shakedown run.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	1138824
    I assume they're SRAM cranks but what type of direct mount chainring (and how many teeth) are you running?

Also curious about your rims - what brand/model are they?

Neat looking setup!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JHwick View Post

Also curious about your rims - what brand/model are they?

Neat looking setup!
    H Plus Son The Hydra 700C Rims, i assume.
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Correct, they are H Plus Sons The Hydra laced to straight pull DT240s. It's been a rainy mess here in the Midwest since I've finished it up so I can't comment much on my impression yet.

The cranks are SRAM "Red" Quarq arms with a Garbaruk Components 46T round ring. Should give me a pretty good range with a 10-42 cassette.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Correct, they are H Plus Sons The Hydra laced to straight pull DT240s. It's been a rainy mess here in the Midwest since I've finished it up so I can't comment much on my impression yet.

The cranks are SRAM "Red" Quarq arms with a Garbaruk Components 46T round ring. Should give me a pretty good range with a 10-42 cassette.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Cool, I like the look of the chainring. May go for a similar setup myself.
    Are they the BB30 cranks or 24mm GXP version with an adaptor BB?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    BB30/PF30 or "long axle" BB30, essentially they're Force1 cranks.

I'll warn you it takes FOREVER to get these chainrings, I think close to a month. They're made in the Ukraine, I think, but they're really light and great quality. They have super long teeth as well so chain retention shouldn't ever be a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Niner RLT9-1a.jpg

Just (re)built up my previously 4-Star SRAM RLT 9 as a "6-Star" Shimano RLT 9 -- XTR Di2 rear derailleur. absoluteBLACK oval. Dura-Ace crankset. Ultegra hydraulics.

Niner RLT9-1d.jpgNiner RLT9-1f.jpgNiner RLT9-1g.jpgNiner RLT9-1h.jpg

Shameless plug: it's also for sale. Going to stick with my BSB 9 w/ SRAM Force 1 groupset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What size frame, I have a buddy who may be looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    What size frame, I have a buddy who may be looking.
    59cm. All the details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Got it

First two pics, try to get better on thursday.

Niner RLT9-rlt9.1.jpg
    Niner RLT9-rlt9.2.jpg
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley242 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rlt9.1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	1141907

Name:	RLT9.2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	1141909
    Nice. I know these things aren't made to be the lightest, but curious what the weight is on your rig?
    SOLD 2015 Epic Expert WC (New bike in the works)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley242 View Post

Name:	rlt9.1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	1141907

Name:	RLT9.2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	1141909
    Freaking gorgeous. Dream bike right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Nice. I know these things aren't made to be the lightest, but curious what the weight is on your rig?
    Weight is 10,67kg without bottle.
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

RLT9 RDO carbon frame - chipping off

Hi.

I also have the same issue now with my newly built RLT RDO. The rack mount bolt area in the rear triangle also had paint chipping off. LBS looked at it and said this is not a structural problem, and only cosmetic. But it's not good really. I'm sure that this problem will progress further.

I think the carbon frame fitted out with rack mounts in the rear triangle part is not as sturdy as the one on the steel frame. I'm also afraid that the bolt hole threading will give out soon.

Although in all fairness the bike is great and I'm enjoying it a lot. But it's quite a bummer when your high expectations are dampened with these kind of an issue.

And just merely replacing the frame on warranty will not solve the problem as I'm sure same problem will occur in the same replacement frame.

Not sure how Niner will address this complaint now.

Niner RLT9-19198235_10213270965872586_1666393831_n.jpg
    Niner RLT9-19126068_10213271148077141_1264623395_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	1137912

^I know every scenario is different, but I just got my 1 star and went with 59cm. Every bike I have had to this point is XL in size. The geometry of the RLT is different and I actually went 59 rather than 62. Glad I did.
    How are you liking your 1*? I should be picking mine up in a day or two.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Can we join the group?

RLT9 1* Basic but I love it!
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567