Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    The one on eBay now is listed at retail or best offer, which to me means they will obviously accept less than asking price. Also a 59 sold yesterday for $600 below retail.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My new RLT.....

Hello all, just wanted to share my new RLT. It's a 53cm set up as a 1X10 with a RaceFace Wide/Narrow 42t ring, Rival shifter and an X.9 Type 2 rear der. with an 11-32 cassette. TRP Spyre brakes, Iron Cross Team wheels, and an FSA Energy crankset. Tires are Specialized Renegade 29 X 1.8 (tubeless) and, combined with the Ergon carbon post and Toupe saddle, they make for a really nice ride at 25 psi. Weight is right at 19.5 lbs with the bottle cages and pedals. It will see it's first century at the Dirty Kanza Halfpint next Saturday in Emporia, KS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-p1090398.jpg  

Niner RLT9-p1090399.jpg  

Niner RLT9-p1090406.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now that is a very nicely thought out build - good job. Big tires, comfortable post and saddle, very, very nice. I've been contemplating a 1 x RLT build myself and was tempted to wait for the Sram CX1 stuff to become available. What is your left hand brake lever? Did you take the shifter guts out of a Rival shift/brake lever or is it a stand alone brake lever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks! The brake lever is a SRAM S900 carbon brake lever. It comes with no shifter internals. The only problem is that it has a UD carbon finish and doesn't match the 3K finish of the Rival shifter. So far the 1X10 is working great. The 42t ring has to live on the outside of the crank spider but the chainline wound up pretty much center on the cassette. The Type 2 der. does a good job of eliminating chain slap for the most part.

mtbr member
    ^That is a very nice build!

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. Any impressions with the Ergon CF3 seatpost and what is your height? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by happylandings View Post
    Hello all, just wanted to share my new RLT. It's a 53cm set up as a 1X10 with a RaceFace Wide/Narrow 42t ring, Rival shifter and an X.9 Type 2 rear der. with an 11-32 cassette. TRP Spyre brakes, Iron Cross Team wheels, and an FSA Energy crankset. Tires are Specialized Renegade 29 X 1.8 (tubeless) and, combined with the Ergon carbon post and Toupe saddle, they make for a really nice ride at 25 psi. Weight is right at 19.5 lbs with the bottle cages and pedals. It will see it's first century at the Dirty Kanza Halfpint next Saturday in Emporia, KS.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Ergon post.......

Thanks! The Ergon post seems to really do a nice job of softening up the vibrations and small hits. I've ridden it on gravel as well as a local paved bike path that is pretty rough with raised ridges from tree roots, cracks, etc. I'm 5'9.5" and the 53cm (545mm ETT) seems to fit well. The post I have is the zero offset version but they make a 25mm offset model as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    Great looking bike. Any impressions with the Ergon CF3 seatpost and what is your height? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ordered a Black 50cm105 build yesterday. Going to put some Mavic Crossmax SLR 29er wheels on it. Anyone try going tubeless with the Sammy Slick?

Have a Syntace P6 Hiflex post and some XTR race pedals that will go on it as well. Will post pics when I get her home.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    Ordered a Black 50cm105 build yesterday. Going to put some Mavic Crossmax SLR 29er wheels on it. Anyone try going tubeless with the Sammy Slick?

Have a Syntace P6 Hiflex post and some XTR race pedals that will go on it as well. Will post pics when I get her home.
    Please post those crossmax once you have them on the rlt9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
    Please post those crossmax once you have them on the rlt9
    Will do.

By any chance, do you or anyone else know if a shimano road cassette will fit on the Crossmax SLR hub?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Was able to answer my cassette question and yes it will fit. On another note, sucks I have to wait a month since there is no availability right now. Feel like I got duped, cause I was told there was availability from Niner before I ordered and now that I ordered a few days later there is no availability. Sucks cause I already paid for the bike too. Maybe I'll do some more test rides. Think I should atleast give the Warbird and the Crux Evo a try.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Was able to answer my cassette question and yes it will fit. On another note, sucks I have to wait a month since there is no availability right now. Feel like I got duped, cause I was told there was availability from Niner before I ordered and now that I ordered a few days later there is no availability. Sucks cause I already paid for the bike too. Maybe I'll do some more test rides. Think I should atleast give the Warbird and the Crux Evo a try.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    Based on that fact and as a matter of principle, I would ask for my money back. That's a sign telling you to go down a different path. Niner doesn't make anything that can't be purchased elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You could be mad and stomp into your bike shop and demand the money back for sure. But who duped you? You called and asked about inventory on a bike that is clearly in high demand, waited a few days to make up your mind, and it was sold out. It's not unreasonable for a bike to sell out, I see it all the time in my shop. I seriously doubt that Niner has 1000s of these frames sitting in a warehouse in every conceivable size and color waiting for you. That is a sign off poor inventory management.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not mad at the shop. I'm more upset with Niner because I contacted them directly for availability. If I test ride something between now and then and I like it I'll get my money back and go for it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I guess the point I was trying to make didn't come across. The only person you can blame here is you. You are the one that waited to order. Stock levels are only valid at the time of asking.

As a shop guy, if you are so upset that you might get your money back then do it now. Don't wait until your special order frame has shipped. That screws over the shop. They will have to find a new buyer that needs your size and likes your color and build.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm still gonna buy the RLT. It'll be a good ****ty day/commuter/gravel grinder all-purpose bike.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I'm not mad at the shop. I'm more upset with Niner because I contacted them directly for availability. If I test ride something between now and then and I like it I'll get my money back and go for it.

Yeah, you did kinda sit on it for a couple days. It happens. You'll get it eventually

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    "Hello all, just wanted to share my new RLT. It's a 53cm set up as a 1X10 with a RaceFace Wide/Narrow 42t ring, Rival shifter and an X.9 Type 2 rear der. with an 11-32 cassette. TRP Spyre brakes, Iron Cross Team wheels, and an FSA Energy crankset. Tires are Specialized Renegade 29 X 1.8 (tubeless) and, combined with the Ergon carbon post and Toupe saddle, they make for a really nice ride at 25 psi. Weight is right at 19.5 lbs with the bottle cages and pedals. It will see it's first century at the Dirty Kanza Halfpint next Saturday in Emporia, KS."

No problems with mud clearance running the renegade? Looking at the specialized site there aren't any renegade tires listed at 1.8", only 1.95".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cole4800 View Post
    "Hello all, just wanted to share my new RLT. It's a 53cm set up as a 1X10 with a RaceFace Wide/Narrow 42t ring, Rival shifter and an X.9 Type 2 rear der. with an 11-32 cassette. TRP Spyre brakes, Iron Cross Team wheels, and an FSA Energy crankset. Tires are Specialized Renegade 29 X 1.8 (tubeless) and, combined with the Ergon carbon post and Toupe saddle, they make for a really nice ride at 25 psi. Weight is right at 19.5 lbs with the bottle cages and pedals. It will see it's first century at the Dirty Kanza Halfpint next Saturday in Emporia, KS."

No problems with mud clearance running the renegade? Looking at the specialized site there aren't any renegade tires listed at 1.8", only 1.95".
    I don't think they make the 1.8 anymore, but they still have some in the warehouses that can be ordered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I don't think they make the 1.8 anymore, but they still have some in the warehouses that can be ordered.
    What other narrow xc tires would you recommend?

mtbr member
    What other narrow xc tires would you recommend?
    I am still hoping somone can verify if the Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45 will fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    I am still hoping somone can verify if the Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45 will fit.
    On their site, it says up to 1.75" which is 44.45mm. Will be very close, but should probably fit fine.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Well...45mm is 1.77 inches and someone already confirmed that the 1.8 Renegade fit with no problem. I realize size can differ depending on specific tire, but it sounds like it should work
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

Go ride!
    Dec 2011

Niner RLT 9 Black/Red

Hi Niner fans. We just finished a recent build on the new black and red RLT 9 that we wanted to share with everyone.

I know everyone is going to ask about the mustache bars and why we used them. The short answer is that the customer knew he would never use the drops on the stock bars so we decided to do something a little different.

The look of the bars may not suit everyone but they are very comfortable and offer excellent leverage during hard out of the saddle efforts. The horizontally mounted shifters are actually very intuitive and very reminiscent of the old Shimano Dual Control Levers.

Here is a link the full gallery and be sure to leave us comments (good and bad).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8044919&type=3

Niner RLT9-niner-rlt-1.jpgNiner RLT9-niner-rlt-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Has anyone used Ortlieb Panniers on the RLT? I'm wondering if the chainstay is long enough to keep the bags off your heels, especially for bigger guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Renegade tire clearance....

I feel like the Renegades have plenty of tire clearance for dry conditions. I'd be a little concerned with sticky mud though. Surprisingly, the tightest clearance is the fork. I think the shallow, spread out knobs of the Renegade have little chance of picking up rocks and bringing them through the frame when it's dry. I've only ridden them in dry conditions so far. I'll be really bummed out if they've stopped making the 1.8. It's still listed on the Spec. website in the drop down menu for color/size. Another tire I have tried in the frame but have not ridden is the VeeRubber V12 (29x1.75). It's very close to the same size as the Renegade. I'd also like to see Specialized do a Trigger Pro in the 700x42 size like the Trigger Sport (wire bead).

"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Has any one picked up an RLT 9 recently? I ordered one back in May with an expected delivery date of mid June and am still waiting and the shop cant really get a handle on the expected delivery date. They dont sell alot of niners so they dont have a lot of contact with the local niner rep. Just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I heard they should start to roll out end of June. Knock on wood. Was told there was a shortage on grouppo's for the complete builds. I'm waiting on one as well. If it doesn't arrive by early July I'm looking at other options. Crux EVO is looking mighty nice right now.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Were you able to figure out the headset play issue? I am having the same issue.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    Anyone have issues getting the headset tightened properly on the RLT? There is just a tiny bit of play that I can't get sorted and I already have the top cap at 6 Nm. This is for the 4 star build kit.

Another question - what is this bit that came in the parts baggie? Spacer for 10 sp?

Attachment 882608

Were you able to figure out the headset play issue? I am having the same issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Took me a second to figure out how to use the plug for the carbon fork. Make sure you have that inserted correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sweet... figured it out. It's all good now. Thanks!

recent MTB mania victim

Reasons for an RLT?

I've returned to cycling in the last 5 years, and though I love getting out there, I am not that technically awesome or very strong, yet. I already have a nice MTB. I don't (and likely will never) race. But I'm looking for a bike that I can ride around town, both for commuting and for fitness rides when the trails are too wet; do some light bike packing with, and in the summer, hopefully do a lot of day rides on lonely high country dirt roads (YES!).

I've been looking at the Surly Straggler, the Soma Double Cross, and of course the RLT.

The Niner would be a lot lighter than the other two (and this counts for quite a bit - my MTB is a pig, weight-wise) but I am a bit concerned that it might not be super comfortable for those long rides (maybe too "racy", some people say - whatever that really means). For example, I haven't ridden a drop bar bike in about 25 years and I suspect I'd be happier with a more upright position.

The other possible issue with the Niner is that it does seem to be a bit more expensive than the other two - but I think I am ready to pay for the bike I really want.

Would the Niner be a good fit for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    I've returned to cycling in the last 5 years, and though I love getting out there, I am not that technically awesome or very strong, yet. I already have a nice MTB. I don't (and likely will never) race. But I'm looking for a bike that I can ride around town, both for commuting and for fitness rides when the trails are too wet; do some light bike packing with, and in the summer, hopefully do a lot of day rides on lonely high country dirt roads (YES!).

I've been looking at the Surly Straggler, the Soma Double Cross, and of course the RLT.

The Niner would be a lot lighter than the other two (and this counts for quite a bit - my MTB is a pig, weight-wise) but I am a bit concerned that it might not be super comfortable for those long rides (maybe too "racy", some people say - whatever that really means). For example, I haven't ridden a drop bar bike in about 25 years and I suspect I'd be happier with a more upright position.

The other possible issue with the Niner is that it does seem to be a bit more expensive than the other two - but I think I am ready to pay for the bike I really want.

Honestly, only you can answer that question. Having one to ride for a few hours would help you answer that question. But, most of the time, that's hard to do. But, this bike should be more comfortable then a dedicated road bike. And, as long as you don't have any physical restraints or abnormal proportions, I'm going to say that the chances are pretty good that it will be a good fit for you. And, getting the right fitment will be important for you.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

I always rode mtb, and was looking for a fast commuter, versatile bike which I could also use for fitness.... Bought the rlt9 and it has been great!, very comfortable and got used to drop bars almost immediatelly.... Go for it!....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Racy usually refers to things like the steepness of the steering head angle and how much of your weight is forward on your wrists and front wheel.

If you are planning on bike packing you will find the RLT has only basic mounting points.

Prior to RLT being available I ended up answering your question with a flat bar Surly Troll and a couple of wheel sets. I can fit 700x35 cross or slick tyres or 26x up to 2.7. Surly also does the Ogre which is a 29'er and has a multitude of mounting points and can fit practically any 29'er/700c wheel/tyre you can think of.

I don't think the weight difference between a good quality steel frame and an aluminium frame is that significant, especially if you are packing some gear.

recent MTB mania victim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    But, this bike should be more comfortable then a dedicated road bike. And, as long as you don't have any physical restraints or abnormal proportions, I'm going to say that the chances are pretty good that it will be a good fit for you. And, getting the right fitment will be important for you.
    I've not been fitted for a road bike before, though the app on my iPhone (Size My Bike) suggests looking for a bike with an ETT of 53-54 (about 4cm less than it suggests for MTB), which in turn looks like either the 50cm or 53cm RLT. Is it better to size up or down for comfort? I see also that the RLT has a higher stack figure than the other two bikes I was looking at, in the same size; what effect would this have?

Quote Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
    I always rode mtb, and was looking for a fast commuter, versatile bike which I could also use for fitness.... Bought the rlt9 and it has been great!, very comfortable and got used to drop bars almost immediatelly.... Go for it!....
    That's good to know; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    If you are planning on bike packing you will find the RLT has only basic mounting points.

Prior to RLT being available I ended up answering your question with a flat bar Surly Troll and a couple of wheel sets. I can fit 700x35 cross or slick tyres or 26x up to 2.7. Surly also does the Ogre which is a 29'er and has a multitude of mounting points and can fit practically any 29'er/700c wheel/tyre you can think of.

I don't think the weight difference between a good quality steel frame and an aluminium frame is that significant, especially if you are packing some gear.
    You are right... however I'm not likely to do much serious bikepacking. I probably would want to put a rack and fenders/mudguards on it for commuting. Looks like the RLT could handle those sort of light duties.

The Straggler (along with the Soma) is still under consideration - probably a little ahead of the Ogre & Troll; but for the build level/price point currently under consideration I think the Surlys will still be heavier. I have to carry the bike up and down over 100 steps to get to the road; and this is among my reasons for going lighter!

I guess for the same price (or a lot less even) as an RLT there are probably lots of nice hardtail MTBs that could be easily adapted for my intended use, and still be very light. Definitely something I should look at.

Thanks for the replies - it's really helpful.

mtbr member
    I've not been fitted for a road bike before, though the app on my iPhone (Size My Bike) suggests looking for a bike with an ETT of 53-54 (about 4cm less than it suggests for MTB), which in turn looks like either the 50cm or 53cm RLT. Is it better to size up or down for comfort? I see also that the RLT has a higher stack figure than the other two bikes I was looking at, in the same size; what effect would this have?

You are right... however I'm not likely to do much serious bikepacking. I probably would want to put a rack and fenders/mudguards on it for commuting. Looks like the RLT could handle those sort of light duties.

The Straggler (along with the Soma) is still under consideration - probably a little ahead of the Ogre & Troll; but for the build level/price point currently under consideration I think the Surlys will still be heavier. I have to carry the bike up and down over 100 steps to get to the road; and this is among my reasons for going lighter!

I guess for the same price (or a lot less even) as an RLT there are probably lots of nice hardtail MTBs that could be easily adapted for my intended use, and still be very light. Definitely something I should look at.

For this type of bike, which is really more like a cross or gravel bike, I'd size up and use a shorter stem if needed. I would think a higher stack would mean a more upright position. That can also be adjusted with stem angles and spacers under the stem.

mtbr member
    Seems you are in the same boat as I am - looking to use the RLT for the same purposes (though I would also like to join friends on some road rides and use it on the trainer...). Size my bike gives me a suggested seat tube length of 526mm, so I guess the 53 would be for me?

recent MTB mania victim

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Seems you are in the same boat as I am - looking to use the RLT for the same purposes (though I would also like to join friends on some road rides and use it on the trainer...). Size my bike gives me a suggested seat tube length of 526mm, so I guess the 53 would be for me?
    I had thought the 50 or the 53, but the Niner site tells me that being 5'7" I'm smack bang in the middle of the suggested height range for a 53.

I figure if it's slightly too long I can get a shorter stem, as the earlier poster suggested. But also: I know very little about this stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'6" and went with a 50. There was no room for my boys when I straddled the 53 and I felt stretched out on it as well. I think for the 5'7 guys you need to do a standover check and that will probably decide whether you go 50 or 53.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    ...this thread is killing me! I'm trying to decide between a new wheel set for my main ride or an RLT and I'm split! Maybe some more RLT pics might help the decision process along...

recent MTB mania victim

Cool-blue Rhythm Standover

I'm 5'6" and went with a 50. There was no room for my boys when I straddled the 53 and I felt stretched out on it as well. I think for the 5'7 guys you need to do a standover check and that will probably decide whether you go 50 or 53.
    The quoted stand over on the 53 is 5cm (2 inches) less than that of my MTB so I should be OK... I think. My MTB on the other hand - well it hasn't killed me yet though it has tried to a couple times. Folks: short people* and long travel 29ers** don't always mix.

* of limited skills and a burning desire to buy a fancy bike that's more than they need (it's happening again!)

** whose rather high top tube has a slightly polished look after a year

mtbr member
    Niner RLT9-rlt2.jpg Here you go. Getting ready for the 55 mile ride to the beach with a dirt road along the way.
    ...this thread is killing me! I'm trying to decide between a new wheel set for my main ride or an RLT and I'm split! Maybe some more RLT pics might help the decision process along...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

What kind of wheel set are you looking to get for the main ride?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I heard they should start to roll out end of June. Knock on wood. Was told there was a shortage on grouppo's for the complete builds. I'm waiting on one as well. If it doesn't arrive by early July I'm looking at other options. Crux EVO is looking mighty nice right now.

Any word/luck yet on getting your bike? I did hear from Niner saying that the issue was with a delay from Shimano due to the 105 set switching to 11spd and also a delay in the Force group due to it being oversold and lastly the BLack/Red frame is really popular and sold out. Im still waiting but have a gut feeling that maybe it'll arrive this week ... I ordered the grey or mint (whichever was in stock) 2 star so only one delay applies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nre7766 View Post
    Any word/luck yet on getting your bike? I did hear from Niner saying that the issue was with a delay from Shimano due to the 105 set switching to 11spd and also a delay in the Force group due to it being oversold and lastly the BLack/Red frame is really popular and sold out. Im still waiting but have a gut feeling that maybe it'll arrive this week ... I ordered the grey or mint (whichever was in stock) 2 star so only one delay applies.
    Nope, haven't heard anything yet. Yeah, I'm waiting on a Black/Red 2* size 50.

Hopefully, I hear something soon. I already have a seatpost replacement and looking to pull the trigger on some Reynolds Stratus Pro Disc Tubeless wheels. Only thing left to swap out will be the bars to something carbon. And I'm thinking for gravel grinding, use spd sl's and for cross/commuting throw on some spd's.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

What kind of wheel set are you looking to get for the main ride?
    NOX AM29 rims laced to I9 Torch hubs for a Yeti SB95c.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice wheel set! Yeah, you have a tough choice ahead of you.

I'm picking one up cause it will be my commuter, cx races, rainy weather trainer, gravel grinder, ride around the hood with my kids bike. Basically, an all around bike using my other bikes for only their specific purpose for longevity sake.

Is there a reason for getting an RLT9 other than just wanting it?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Is there a reason for getting an RLT9 other than just wanting it?
    Basically the same types of indications you are looking at it for. With kids and work, trail time has been declining. It'd be much easier to get in extra miles from my front door...plus around town stuff, some CX races, trailer pulling, greenway riding, etc. Basically an all-arounder.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast