Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Finished my ski season this weekend and also did the Spring tune up on the RLT. I went to a 1x10 with a Race Face 40t N/W ring and a 11-36 cassette. Watch out steep dirt roads, here I come.
    Niner RLT9-ninerrlt9.jpg

Peeping Tom
    May 2007
    Hi all you Niner fans

It's been 10 years since I've biked (mountain) and I'm finally getting back into the saddle. I just ordered a Niner RLT 9 Steel 4-Star build in grey and fortunately Niner has it in stock, there IS an upside to needing a 62cm frame.

And of course, I'll post pictures when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I noticed that niner uses a zero setback post. Does this compliment the bike geometry in some way?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't know if it compliments it but their top tubes are pretty long so if you use a set back seat post it could give you a more stretched out feel and affect the handling. I have 3 Niners and all have a straight seat post, no set back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_rad View Post
    Why would anybody want 5 Niners! Guy must be a freak! ;-)
    I have three. RLT, Sir9 Singlespeed, Jet9 RDO. They all fit well. First time on the Sir9 at a local shop, it was like being on a 29er bmx bike. Soooooo fun.

The fit is what had me buy two more.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    I noticed that niner uses a zero setback post. Does this compliment the bike geometry in some way?
    Thanks
    I don't think it is particular to the bike or Niner geometry, I think it is personal preference.

I ride Niner's large mtb frames because I have a relatively long torso. I also use a set back seat post. At a pinch I could ride a medium but I would feel cramped.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My thoughts exactly! I have also three Niners, a SiR9, One9 and a Jet9 and soon a RLT steel :-)

mtbr member

RLT 9 Steel commuter

Niner RLT9-20150701_155702.jpg

Hi all, here's today's shop photo from my new commuter build a steel RLT 9, size XL! I am so excited about this bike after cobbling together a solution for years from a Voodoo Wazoo. The Wazoo in 58cm wasn't a bad bike, but it was a little too small for me and not nearly as hot looking as the RLT!

My commute is about 50 miles; I hit some gravel roads, and more importantly I have to roll over glass on the roadside. I tried every tire, tubeless, including the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Continental Super Sport Plus; basically the toughest air-filled tires you can get, and unfortunately, they still eventually succumbed to glass shards.

I'm giving the Tannus Aether 1.1s in 28mm width a try and am very hopeful I'll like them. I've also got some 23s on my trainer wheels for my road bike and they're surprisingly unnoticeable.

Other kit includes a mix of low/midrange Shimano and SRAM drivetrain 1x10 with a 44t Wolf Tooth ring, Time ATAC pedals, Mavic Crossride wheels, and the new TRP dual piston mechanical disc brakes. The headlight is on there now, the tail light, cages (3 for summer, wahoo), and Revelate Designs seat bag are to come. The old 140mm stem is on there just for show, I'll be slamming it with a proper 120mm as soon as it comes in.

That looks great. I've been eyeing RLT9 Steel. How do you like it on the road, now that you've had it for a few days?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Niner RLT9-dsc_0490.jpgNiner RLT9-dsc_0497.jpg

Finally got around to posting images of my RLT9. Had it for about 3 months.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on sizing. I'm 5'10, ended up going with the 56cm and it has been a great choice.

Specs

Rims: Iron Cross Team
    Hubs: SRAM X9
    Cranks: SRAM S550
    Pedals: Shimano M530
    Brakes/Levers: SRAM S700 shifters and brakes
    Front/rear derailleurs: SRAM Rival
    Bars/stem/post: Easton EA70
    Saddle: Fizik Tundra2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    That looks great. I've been eyeing RLT9 Steel. How do you like it on the road, now that you've had it for a few days?
    Niner RLT9-biggerbikepic-1-.jpg

It rides really smoothly. The Tannus solid tires are kind of slow but actually feel really good. The max width of 44 mm tires is huge so I could easily go the other way. But frame-wise, it feels comfortable, but very solid due to the big tubes. The head tube is a little taller than what I'm used to but I got it down with a -16 stem.

Overall I'm just thrilled about this bike. For training/casual riding/commuting you really should go with steel; save the carbon fiber for racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I picked up a RLT9 Steel in early July. I've been riding it stock, mostly on the roads as much as 50 miles. I am very pleased with the ride. It is unbelievably smooth and I only average about 1.5mph average slower than I would on my road bike. With a smoother tire, it would be just as fast. It is a heavier bike at 24lbs for a 59cm 2 star build, but I think the ride is worth the penalty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i just picked up the RLT 9 Steel 2 star and really couldn't be happier. still tweaking the build but will post pictures in a week or so when i'm done. swapped out the stock handlebars for salsa cowchippers for starters to get me more leverage in the drops off-road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RLT9 Touring

A couple weeks ago I did a 6 day/500 mile paved road tour of Lassen and Tahoe on my RLT9. It worked very well. I'm not sure the bike is intended for heavy touring, but for the approx. 15 lb. front and 25 lb. rear loading it worked and handled fine. Here is a shot at the pass through Lassen.

Niner RLT9-18-lassen-summit.jpg

I'm using the bike mostly for commuting duty, with some local single and double track thrown in. In this respect it really is a multi-purpose bike. I'd like to do some off-road touring on it but figure I'd need to pare my load down quite a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Niner Carbon fork "Shuttering"?

Hello All,

This might not be the right place to ask this, but for those that have a Niner carbon fork (Niner Carbon Rigid 29" 9mm), does anyone get a bit of a shutter or vibration when applying the front brake? Maybe wrong rotors, any ideas? I have a SRAM XX1 hydro brakes..

Many thanks and enjoy a weekend on the trails.Niner RLT9-img_0027.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you are getting brake shutter or vibration while braking then you either have contaminated pads and rotor or your head set is loose. Most likely the pads. When they are contaminated they can bite then slip then bite and so on.

Got nothing other than what PFS already said, but man, that's a sweet looking Ritchey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    PFS (strem too),

Many thanks, the head-sets solid, I think it's either the pads or the rotors, but pads would obviously be a cheaper fix, I think the Niner carbon probably amplifies this slip/bike/slip/bite. I'll give it a shot thanks...and yes couldn't help but throw a Ritchey in the mix, I love the feel of the Niner fork...and BTW the Niner's on this site a pretty too...

Dig it and thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recently crashed my RLT aluminum. Bike shop says it's fine. But I did notice that the wheel/tire sits closer to the drive side chainstay. It may have before and I didn't make note of it. Just figured I would ask if any of you see that on yours? Hopefully yes... I know the chain stays are asymmetrical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The wheel in my rlt9 sits dead center, and the chain stays are symmetrical. Not sure if the design changed? I'd have another look if I were you, either the frame is not straight or the wheel is mis-dished. Does the bike pull to one side?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not that I can tell, but on gravel hard to notice as much. I'm all but certain the chainstay a aren't identical but either way, thanks for your personal input! I'll have another check

mtbr member
    Hey guys, recently been thinking of getting a steel RLT9, right now I ride a Salsa Vaya and it is a great bike but just a little on the heavy side at around 27-28lbs. Anyone have experience with both bikes? Think I'd most likely go with a 3-4* build and was hoping that would be in the low 20lb range in a size 56.
    I've gotten into long gravel rides (50-200 mile) and need a comfortable lighter bike. Any help is appreciated
    Beargrease NX1
    Nature Boy 853
    Niner SIR9

mtbr member
    The RLT 9 steel is not a very light frame at all, it's oversized and burly, 7 lbs including fork. The Vaya appears to be titanium, so I'd imagine it's lighter? I find the RLT 9 steel to be very stable and comfortable, for some reason Niner's geometry really appeals to me, I think it's the oversized tubes and the long TT. Also I personally like the first-gen steel RLT9's color scheme the best, silver bare-metal with safety-blaze orange is perfectly functional for a commuter.

Unless you have fit issues with the Vaya, I'd keep it. If anyone wants to buy a steel Voodoo Wazoo frame 58cm, still in decent condition, let me know. The only reason I switched was because it was too small for me.

Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    Hey guys, recently been thinking of getting a steel RLT9, right now I ride a Salsa Vaya and it is a great bike but just a little on the heavy side at around 27-28lbs. Anyone have experience with both bikes? Think I'd most likely go with a 3-4* build and was hoping that would be in the low 20lb range in a size 56.
    I've gotten into long gravel rides (50-200 mile) and need a comfortable lighter bike. Any help is appreciated

mtbr member
    There is a titanium vaya, but I have a steel one made with 4130 steel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shinewheel View Post
    A couple weeks ago I did a 6 day/500 mile paved road tour of Lassen and Tahoe on my RLT9. It worked very well. I'm not sure the bike is intended for heavy touring, but for the approx. 15 lb. front and 25 lb. rear loading it worked and handled fine. Here is a shot at the pass through Lassen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 Lassen Summit.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	1021275

I'm using the bike mostly for commuting duty, with some local single and double track thrown in. In this respect it really is a multi-purpose bike. I'd like to do some off-road touring on it but figure I'd need to pare my load down quite a bit more.
    Out of curiosity, which front rack are you using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pwetstar View Post
    Out of curiosity, which front rack are you using?
    It's an old (25-30 yr) Blackburn original front version. I made a longer stainless steel strap to extend under the fork crown to access the crown screw on the back side to get the rack level, other than that and some 5mm spacers at the eyelets fitting is easy and solid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi All,

Anyone running a RLT 9 SS?

Any issues or is it an easy thing with EBB 2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Love my SS RLT! I am using the problem solvers ebb and it is rock solid with a SRAM Red crankset.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyj66 View Post
    Hi All,

Anyone running a RLT 9 SS?

Any issues or is it an easy thing with EBB 2?
    Niner EBB is one of the easiest to use. Just make sure you follow directions, including the torque numbers for the 2 bolts and you'll be happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrannon View Post
    Tubeless tire question. I just ordered an RLT and a pair of Stans Grail wheels. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out if the WTB Nano 40c tires will mount up tubeless. It appears that Stans says no the the tubeless TCS version. Anyone used the WTB TCS with Grails? Or will the race version work well? Thanks.
    Yes, works fine. Running that exact setup. Wire bead.

mtbr member
    I order a RLT 105 from Jenson, just too good of a deal to pass up. I haven't even received the bike yet, but am already thinking of going 1x11. I run all my Mtb this way love the smoothness and quiet and frankly I just like the looks better.

So on the with FSA crankset, is there anything special I need to know? I assume the standard raceface N/W will fit. Should I pick up a clutch deraileur or give the 105 a shot first. The bike is mainly going to be used for smooth singlestrack and gravel paths, no plans for CX yet

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Running a problem solvers at the minute, but about to try a wheels manufacturing one. As a sscx it's a great race bike.

jk
    mtbr member

Alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts?

Anyone know of another bike that is an alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts, but is a bit less expensive? Seems to be a nice bike, but as others have said its a bit overpriced....perhaps because there isnt really another mass-manufactured steel bike like it? Thanks!
    Last edited by jk; 12-14-2015 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member

jk
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    Thanks for that, ducman, but looking for steel as the material of choice for a dirtroad steed. Looks like Marin makes the 4 corners, but it is 1 x and not that much cheaper, but might be worth a test ride if i can find one. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    Thanks for that, ducman, but looking for steel as the material of choice for a dirtroad steed. Looks like Marin makes the 4 corners, but it is 1 x and not that much cheaper, but might be worth a test ride if i can find one. Cheers.

lol Sorry I was just posting that picture since I just picked it up, not as a recommendation. Don't know of any steel bikes with thru axles, they all seem to be QR

jk
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    lol Sorry I was just posting that picture since I just picked it up, not as a recommendation. Don't know of any steel bikes with thru axles, they all seem to be QR
    No worries. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    Anyone know of another bike that is an alternative to RLT9 Steel which has thru axles + rack and fender mounts, but is a bit less expensive? Seems to be a nice bike, but as others have said its a bit overpriced....perhaps because there isnt really another mass-manufactured steel bike like it? Thanks!
    http://www.konaworld.com/roadhouse.cfm

Only a bit cheaper though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm a Target Too.
    My fresh build this past fall:

mtbr member
    What's the widest tire you're running on the RLT9? I'm looking to monstercross with some schwalbe 45cs and I know that may be a stretch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Check out post #202, running speccy renegades 1.8 on iron cross. Should equate to around 45, 46

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    What's the widest tire you're running on the RLT9? I'm looking to monstercross with some schwalbe 45cs and I know that may be a stretch.
    I haven't tried 45's but Niner specs say 1.75 inches will fit. That's 44.5 mm. Are you looking at the Smart Sam's?
    I vote that you try them and let us all know how they work. I'm running the Nano 40C and would like a little more volume.

mtbr member
    That's the one, the Smart Sams have the puncture protection I need for riding on the roadsides. Since happylandings is running 1.8s I'll go ahead and order them and let you all know!

Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    I haven't tried 45's but Niner specs say 1.75 inches will fit. That's 44.5 mm. Are you looking at the Smart Sam's?
    I vote that you try them and let us all know how they work. I'm running the Nano 40C and would like a little more volume.
    Last edited by chomxxo; 01-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happylandings View Post
    Hello all, just wanted to share my new RLT. It's a 53cm set up as a 1X10 with a RaceFace Wide/Narrow 42t ring, Rival shifter and an X.9 Type 2 rear der. with an 11-32 cassette. TRP Spyre brakes, Iron Cross Team wheels, and an FSA Energy crankset. Tires are Specialized Renegade 29 X 1.8 (tubeless) and, combined with the Ergon carbon post and Toupe saddle, they make for a really nice ride at 25 psi. Weight is right at 19.5 lbs with the bottle cages and pedals. It will see it's first century at the Dirty Kanza Halfpint next Saturday in Emporia, KS.
    Very nice build; how did the 1.8s treat you, have you had any issues with mud clearance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice looking RLT. But the frame looks giant. I'm between sizes according to Niner's site, and am considering the L and XL. The XL has a standover height of 34.4" which seems too tall for me. I'm 6'2" and wear a 34" inseam jean (not sure of my true cycling inseam). If you don't mind, how tall are you, and what's your inseam? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    The XL is a 62cm top-tube frame, so yes it's big. I am 6'4" and ride a 60cm road bike with a 120cm stem; this feels pretty dialed in for me. I've got a 110mm -16 stem on the RLT 9 steel and feel like a 100mm is probably best. On the other hand I like the bike being big, it's very stable on long rides and gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Nice looking RLT. But the frame looks giant. I'm between sizes according to Niner's site, and am considering the L and XL. The XL has a standover height of 34.4" which seems too tall for me. I'm 6'2" and wear a 34" inseam jean (not sure of my true cycling inseam). If you don't mind, how tall are you, and what's your inseam? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm just under 5'10", and it looks like others around this height have gone with either a 53 or 56. Were any of you able to test both sizes? I was able to test ride a 56 this weekend, but the shop didn't have any 53s. I felt really good on the 56, as the reach to the bars was comfortable, and I believe the test bike had a 90mm stem. My concern has to do with the fact that I had to lower the seat so much that the seat post bottomed out on the water bottle mount screws. I'm starting to wonder if a 53 wouldn't be better, but I also don't want a huge saddle to bar drop. Just wondering if it sounds like a 53 with a longer stem would be better, or if I should stick with the 56? I'd also like to run a bag like a Revelate, but they recommend an minimum of 5 inch exposed seat post for this to fit. Any advise/experience would be great. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm just over 5'10 and I ended up with a 53. I was able to get a leg over both sizes and the 56 felt stretched out. I'm still experimenting with fit on mine, I've gone from a 90 to 110 stem, I think a 100 with a bit of lay back in the seatpost will be where I end up.
    The benefit of having plenty of exposed seatpost will be the ride quality, especially if you go for something with a fair bit of flex like the RDO post or a Syntace hi flex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mapomatic View Post
    I'm just over 5'10 and I ended up with a 53. I was able to get a leg over both sizes and the 56 felt stretched out. I'm still experimenting with fit on mine, I've gone from a 90 to 110 stem, I think a 100 with a bit of lay back in the seatpost will be where I end up.
    The benefit of having plenty of exposed seatpost will be the ride quality, especially if you go for something with a fair bit of flex like the RDO post or a Syntace hi flex.

Thanks! I didn't even think about a longer seat post being a little more comfortable/compliant.

mtbr member

My new addition

I totally forgot to post a picture of my addition to the Niner family. I love this bike.
    Upgrades
    TRP Spyres
    WTB Nano tubless tires 40C
    RDO seatpost for comfort (really helps)
    Took my arches off my Jet9 and put them on the RLT
    Built new carbon wheels with king hubs for my Jet9 It had to be done really...I did not like the wheels that came on the RLT.
    Niner RLT9-photo.jpg
    Last edited by kev84; 02-11-2016 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Joining the club. First ride on my RLT Steel IMBA Edition yesterday.

First thing I did was swap out the interesting Schwalbe G-One's for some beefy WTB Nano 40C's. Race version mounted up tubeless nicely.

59cm, I'm about 6'1". Great fit.

Factory pickup, Greg @ Niner was AWESOME to work with:
    Niner RLT9-img_5496.jpg

Niner IMBA Edition Wall of Fame
    Niner RLT9-img_5501.jpg

First Ride - 3K vertical with MUD - foothills west of Boulder, CO
    Niner RLT9-img_5520.jpg

Niner RLT9-img_5521.jpg

Niner RLT9-img_5528.jpg

Niner RLT9-img_5530.jpg
    Ibis Ripley V1 | Niner RLT Steel IMBA Edition | Voodoo Bokor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrannon View Post
    Tubeless tire question. I just ordered an RLT and a pair of Stans Grail wheels. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out if the WTB Nano 40c tires will mount up tubeless. It appears that Stans says no the the tubeless TCS version. Anyone used the WTB TCS with Grails? Or will the race version work well? Thanks.
    I'm running Race Nano's on my Grails tubeless. They mounted nicely - just the right amount of tightness. They lost air initially overnight, after filling again and first ride, they are holding air perfectly.

Stans + Nano Race works!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    I'm running Race Nano's on my Grails tubeless. They mounted nicely - just the right amount of tightness. They lost air initially overnight, after filling again and first ride, they are holding air perfectly.

Stans + Nano Race works!
    I am using The TCS with Arch ex. I was going to get grails but I decided to build carbon wheels for my Jet9 and put the Arches on my RLT. I love the tires by the way. They are great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've recently added a RLT 9 to my bike quiver due too peer pressure to signed up for a 100 mile gravel race. The deals on the RLT 9's were too hard to pass up. Its a 2* build and I've upgraded brakes, bars and seat. At this time I'm not looking to purchase new wheels (unless someone has a great deal). So I'm looking to see who has set up the Niner Wheels tubeless with Nano 40C's. I've heard that the Niner wheels are made by stans and the WTB Nano tubeless doesn't work well.

So question. Has anyone setup the WTB race tubeless on the stock Niner wheels? Before I drop $160 on new tires and Stans, I would like to know my chances of it working.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I used Nano TCS on the stock rims. Using Orange seal tape, I could not get a good seal, but with gorilla tape, they set up easily. Not sure what the issue was with Orange seal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks Ducman. What solution did you use in the Tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARoutdoorboy View Post
    Thanks Ducman. What solution did you use in the Tire?
    Stans

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guys, I want to convert my RLT9 Steel 3 Star Rival Bike to 1X. Does anybody know if I can run an XD driver body on the stock rear hub? Niner didn't know when I emailed support, and said Formula makes the hubs for them. I was unable to get any response from anyone at formula. I'd really like to avoid buying a new wheel if possible.

• Does someone make an XD driver that'll fit my rear hub?
    • I should be able to just run a single ring on my existing rival crank right?

Niner RLT9-20160119_134347.jpg
    '15 Niner RLT 9 Steel
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced X 29er
    '14 Trek Domane 4.7

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

New Build

Just received NOS 53cm. Wasn't sure of size but at 5'9" and 30" inseam I went with 53. Standover is okay. Head tube could be 20mm shorter but the rest of the bike fits perfect.

Swapped parts over from Ridley Cross Fire and this bike rides SO MUCH BETTER.

Ultegra Di2 build with XTR crank for gravel grinding.
    20.5 lbs with Stans 340 frt and 400 rear and XT pedals.
    21.5 with Crossmax wheelset and oldschool RS suspension (pogostick) post.

First ride yesterday and it is super nice.
    Niner RLT9-niner-rlt.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There should be no problem with putting a narrow wide chainring on the crankset and best bet is to use a Shimano 11 speed cassette in the back. That is probably your only option to avoid having to get a new wheelset and the Xt and xtr cassettes pay fine with the SRAM rear derailleurs

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and have been having a very difficult time deciding between a 53 and 56 steel frame. There are a few pics on here from similar sized guys with either size in aluminum but no steel pics. Does anyone have a 53 steel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gflex View Post
    I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and have been having a very difficult time deciding between a 53 and 56 steel frame. There are a few pics on here from similar sized guys with either size in aluminum but no steel pics. Does anyone have a 53 steel?
    I'm 5'9" on a 56, due partially to Niner's recommendation. Feels good to me and I don't feel too stretched out.

Niner RLT9-rlt9_steel_geo.jpg
    '15 Niner RLT 9 Steel
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced X 29er
    '14 Trek Domane 4.7

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have a 53 cm rlt9 steel and I'm 5'8". Feels like the perfect size for me, but I didn't have a chance to ride the 56cm so I can't compare. I just mounted the schwalbe smart sam 700x45. The back tire fit fine with a few mm clearance on each side. The front tire was actually a tighter fit but I was able to get it in with no rubbing...had to rig some thin washers to center the wheel though and it's definitely maxed out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-0316162144.jpg  

Niner RLT9-0316162144a.jpg  

Niner RLT9-0316162153.jpg  

Niner RLT9-0316162154.jpg  

Last edited by Eingalls22; 03-17-2016 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi guys, I have a question about the stock 2016 2-and-3-star Niner CX alloy wheels. What is the rim width? I suspect that it's 19mm.

Similarly, has anyone mounted and used 25c tires on them? That's as low as I'd want to go for full-pavement rides, and if I could, then I could use the RLT as my single road/drop bar bike and finance my purchase with my old roadies and CX rides. I'm planning to thin out the herd anyway.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    yes, pretty darn close to 19mm. I had emailed Niner and they didn't recommend anything less than 28mm.

mtbr member
    There's no reason why you couldn't ride 25s on the RLT 9 but remember that it has room for up to 42s. My bike with 32s looks like it's wanting for more. The bottom bracket drop would be significant. 28mm tires will loose you negligible amounts of speed (I highly recommend road tubeless Hutchinson 28s!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bandit View Post
    Hi guys, I have a question about the stock 2016 2-and-3-star Niner CX alloy wheels. What is the rim width? I suspect that it's 19mm.

Similarly, has anyone mounted and used 25c tires on them? That's as low as I'd want to go for full-pavement rides, and if I could, then I could use the RLT as my single road/drop bar bike and finance my purchase with my old roadies and CX rides. I'm planning to thin out the herd anyway.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have run 25mm Michelin Pro4 service course tires with no problem at all. I'm currently running 28mm continental gatorskins with no issues either. The stock 3 star rims say 23mm outer, 17.7mm inner, 20.2 mm depth...for whatever that's worth. As an update to my earlier post, I've decided to get a 700x40 schwalbe smart sam for the front. The 45mm was just too close and was a pain to get exactly in the center to avoid rubbing. The rear 45mm has plenty of room though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Lots of great info in this thread, thanks for sharing guys.

I'm looking to pick up a RLT 9 Steel 2* in the very near future. There is a not so LBS (around 100 miles away) that has both the 56 and 59 2* Steels in stock. Being that I'm 6'0" with about 31ish inseam I'm gonna make the drive up to actually try both bikes. Seeing as how my Defy was tricky to fit and I know I'm picky about how a bikes feels I definitely would like to get my ass on the seat before I make the call.

My only reservation is they've had them on the floor before Niner did the upgrade to the 15mm thru axle on the fork so they both have the 9mm QR. They have them listed for the MSRP of $2500 but as we all know they'll probably knock some off. What do you guys think is a good price for a build with the QR fork?

I feel like I want to support a brick and mortar store that's been in community and is actually giving me the opportunity to ride the bike before I buy, but I don't want to overpay for that. I wonder if Niner would swap the fork and what that would cost...hmm.
    Giant Defy Composite - Road
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt
    Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar) - Both?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There's no reason why you couldn't ride 25s on the RLT 9 but remember that it has room for up to 42s. My bike with 32s looks like it's wanting for more. The bottom bracket drop would be significant. 28mm tires will loose you negligible amounts of speed (I highly recommend road tubeless Hutchinson 28s!)
    Thanks much for the info (and the rest of you, too). And yeah, I'd ride bigger most of the time, but I just want to make sure that if I end up on a long ride with some roadies that I'm minimizing my losses (which should indeed be minimal).

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well we worked out a deal I left with new friend

Niner RLT9-a01be4af-60a3-4578-90ac-543fa0c09782_zpsy0nshqsg.jpg
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Congrats on the new Niner! Did you end up going with the 56 or 59?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I went with the 56. I'm a tad over 6'0" with a 31 inseam and while the 59 was do-able as well, the 56 felt more comfortable overall.

What's funny is I went in wanting the Gray/Orange but once I saw the White/Red in person it won me over.
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big_shmoop View Post
    I went with the 56. I'm a tad over 6'0" with a 31 inseam and while the 59 was do-able as well, the 56 felt more comfortable overall.

What's funny is I went in wanting the Gray/Orange but once I saw the White/Red in person it won me over.
    I have a mild obsession with green bikes, but when I saw both alloy colors in person I honestly can't decide which one I want, because the white/gray/orange is juts gorgeous in person. My plan is to wait until the end of the year and get a 4-star build at about the 2-star price like you can get right now on the 2015s, so perhaps the availability will force my hand on one color or the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone try 650b wheels on this? Wondering if compass 650x48s would fit?
    Please stop telling me about your quiver, it makes me feel unclean...

http://www.mistermcfeely.com
    <- My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFeely View Post
    Anyone try 650b wheels on this? Wondering if compass 650x48s would fit?
    I'm wondering the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm running Speccy Renegade 45s on stans iron cross wheels. Fits fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    In my experience, the Niner-specified max of 42c is accurate. I went with Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45c and although they rolled great on the stand, fit was very tight. I went for a ride in really muddy conditions last night and it was a mucky mess, I nearly got stranded. Unless you live in dry conditions or ride only on asphalt, you need a little extra tire clearance to pass mud.

I just trimmed off all the side knobs and got the tires back down to a nice size, so I don't have to discard them.

mtbr member
    In my experience, the Niner-specified max of 42c is accurate. I went with Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45c and although they rolled great on the stand, fit was very tight. I went for a ride in really muddy conditions last night and it was a mucky mess, I nearly got stranded. Unless you live in dry conditions or ride only on asphalt, you need a little extra tire clearance to pass mud.

I just trimmed off all the side knobs and got the tires back down to a nice size, so I don't have to discard them.
    I'm running the clement mso 40's on 700c wheels.

I think what we are looking to see
    If it would fit was the 640x48 WTB wheels and tires. Like what's on the cannondale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am considering one of these pretty heavily. What kind of weights are peoples RLT's coming in at?
    Really wanting that steel frame, anyone with experience think its worth the price jump? I've never ridden steel on anything but a bmx bike and kind of really want to!
    [2018 Specialized Chisel - Custom build]
    [Niner Air 9 Alloy - Rigid SS]

mtbr member
    I picked up an RLT Steel to replace my Ridley cross bike (which was used exclusively for gravel road rides, and biking around town). I wanted a steel grinder, but was not in love with the lower quality steel options (lower quality steel, not lower quality bikes - Surly, Salsa, Soma, etc.). The other option for steel tended to be on the bespoke end of the market with beautiful options from Mosaic, Reeb, etc., and price tags to match.

The Reynolds 853 steel with carbon fork is exactly what I was looking for - with a reasonable price tag.

I have a CX1 build, with Grails, WTB Nano Race 40c tires, stans, Crank Bro mallets, small saddle bag with spare tube. Weight comes to 23.9 lb. Definitely not the lightest bike for the $, but it is a beautiful ride (and a beautiful bike!). Go for it.

Classic weekend warrior
    I read this thread about 10 times... and being just shy of 5'10" with an inseam just under 31", still had no clue what size to order!

Being a popular height... can everyone who's 5'10"-ish post your height, inseam and a picture of how your RLT is setup with seatpost height/setback, and stem length/angle/spacers?
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9
    -'16 Trek Farley 7 (hers)

mtbr member
    Go with the 56cm Medium. You are within the recommended height. Reach can be adjusted with various stem length once you're fitted to the bike.

RLT 9 STEEL
    RLT 9

Quote Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
    I read this thread about 10 times... and being just shy of 5'10" with an inseam just under 31", still had no clue what size to order!

Being a popular height... can everyone who's 5'10"-ish post your height, inseam and a picture of how your RLT is setup with seatpost height/setback, and stem length/angle/spacers?

Classic weekend warrior
    That's what I was thinking at first, but the 56 has a 32" standover....

Also, compared to a bike I test rode I'd probably need a 80mm or shorter stem (maybe I have short arms). That's why I'm curious how people have their bikes setup... I'd rather run a setback post with 120mm stem than a straight post with the seat slammed on the top tube and 80mm stem.
    Last edited by sk1er18; 06-02-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm just over 5'10, 31.5 in seam. Niner recommends a 56,but sitting on a 53 and a 56, I ended up with the 53. Currently running a 100 mm Thomson 10° and a Thomson setback seatpost. Around 20 mm of spacers under the stem. Plenty of seatpost showing to soak up the rough roads. Looking to move to a 110 stem to stretch out a bit more.

Classic weekend warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mapomatic View Post
    I'm just over 5'10, 31.5 in seam. Niner recommends a 56,but sitting on a 53 and a 56, I ended up with the 53. Currently running a 100 mm Thomson 10° and a Thomson setback seatpost. Around 20 mm of spacers under the stem. Plenty of seatpost showing to soak up the rough roads. Looking to move to a 110 stem to stretch out a bit more.

Thanks! Happen to have a picture?

Jenson has these on sale with Ultegra components and Notubes wheels. The 53cm comes with 100mm 8* stem already. Sounds like it might fit ok out of the box. The 56cm comes with 115mm stem.
    Last edited by sk1er18; 06-02-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9

mtbr member
    Does the RLT9 need to handle more like a mountain bike or more like a road bike for you?

The reason roadies use undersized frames is so that they can draft better; the long stem puts you closer to the person in front of you. Also, setback posts give a less efficient pedaling stance.

I have the 62cm RLT9 but I ride a 60 on the road. Although I didn't realize it when buying, I now appreciate the more stable handling of the big bike. Yes standover is higher but as long as you can bail out the family jewels safely, a bigger bike with a shorter stem will be a more confident ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
    That's what I was thinking at first, but the 56 has a 32" standover....

Also, compared to a bike I test rode I'd probably need a 80mm or shorter stem (maybe I have short arms). That's why I'm curious how people have their bikes setup... I'd rather run a setback post with 120mm stem than a straight post with the seat slammed on the top tube and 80mm stem.

Classic weekend warrior
    It's going to be primarily a road bike, and hit some fire roads on occasion. No single track.

I'm coming off an oversized road bike that I had to put a short stem on. Problem with a short stem is sensitive steering (why I like it on my mtb for quick response). I'd prefer a longer stem on the road to help track straight when in a pace line by slowing the steering response.

.... and I'd really like to keep the jewels safe as well. We don't play on having accidents but we still wear helmets, right? Lol I guess that could be taken multiple ways
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just got my RLT alum 2016, awesome bike, custom build from Jensonusa, I have a question for you guys, I plan to use this bike as road bike too, What kind of tire i can use for road, pavement. i have the schwalbe super swan 35c, but im looking for something with less knobs and rolling resistance. for gravel i plan to get the maxxis ramble 40c or clements xplo. I`m really new on this Gravel/Road but weather force me to leave my MTB store and shine clean ( Trail close By infinity amount of rain here in Dallas)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel212 View Post
    I just got my RLT alum 2016, awesome bike, custom build from Jensonusa, I have a question for you guys, I plan to use this bike as road bike too, What kind of tire i can use for road, pavement. i have the schwalbe super swan 35c, but im looking for something with less knobs and rolling resistance. for gravel i plan to get the maxxis ramble 40c or clements xplo. I`m really new on this Gravel/Road but weather force me to leave my MTB store and shine clean ( Trail close By infinity amount of rain here in Dallas)
    Continental Gatorskin 28, set it and forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just ride the bigger tires on road too! You'll have a more comfortable ride and if you decide to take a detour (the road less traveled perhaps?) then you'll be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Classic weekend warrior
    I picked up a road wheelset from Nashbar for $150 shipped, two rotors, 11-25t road cassette, and a pair of gatorskins. Swap between road and gravel mode in a matter of minutes.

Not the same wheels I got, but these are currently on sale (ends today?).. $135 in the cart

Product: Reynolds Stratus Elite Disc Road Wheelset
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9

I like turtles
    Buddy just got one of these and running Specy Renegade 1.8s with no issue.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Agree with PeopleForScience. I ride my RLT Steel with WTB Nano 40's on my 22 mile commute each way. The tire actually does pretty great since it has a nearly constant center tread. About 18 miles of tarmac (road/path) and 4 miles of gravel trail. Always ready for the gravel road or singeltrack. Keep it simple. Swapping wheels/tires sucks. I pump up to about 50-55 PSI for the commute, ~45 PSI for dirt road adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Just ride the bigger tires on road too! You'll have a more comfortable ride and if you decide to take a detour (the road less traveled perhaps?) then you'll be ready.
    What kind of tire i can use for road, pavement. i have the schwalbe super swan 35c, but im looking for something with less knobs and rolling resistance. for gravel i plan to get the maxxis ramble 40c or clements xplo.

mtbr member
    Well, I have read all 20 pages of this thread, plus every review I could find online. I'll have to say that unless these start spontaneously combusting, it will be my next bike. I have determined that I want the steel in the grey/orange combo, but I'm not really sold on any of the present offering of pre built bikes. The problem is that the frames in my size, are not available from Niner, or anyone else's stock that I can find. I guess it is part of a smaller manufacturer making a stellar product, and not being able to keep up. I certainly hope it is worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Here is my new RLT 2016 .
    Still working on the fit, Do you guys recommend to get a professional bike fit , this is my first gravel/road/cyclocross bike so i really don`t have to much knowledge about the fit.
    also i have a 2015 RLT frame new if anyone r interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_20160616_194307.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What size is the 2015 RLT frame?

I like turtles
    The fit shouldn't be hard to rough-in. Seat height so you get a slight bend in your knee at 6 o-clock pedal position. Use of plumb-bob off your knee to set the seat fore-aft so that it passes through your pedal spindle when at 3 o-clock pedal position. When sitting and on your hoods, your f. hub should be obscured by your h-bar. To me, your bar is rotated down too much - I would rotate your bar up so that the bottom of the bar is parallel with the ground...you may need to rotate your hoods in the process...just doesn't look right to me. I always vote for riding/messing with fit yourself first before paying hundreds of dollars for what usually amounts to v. little adjustment for most folks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for your helpTiGeo, yes i already rotate the stem and fix the handle bar, i also adjust the seat height to match my mtb, so far that adjustments feel way better, i`m working on my attack position, this week end i will do a 20 miles pavement route so i can get more feedback. bike feels good, a little stiff on the road. What you guys think about the suspension seatpost?, i found a few cheaper on the 25$ up mark

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The fit shouldn't be hard to rough-in. Seat height so you get a slight bend in your knee at 6 o-clock pedal position. Use of plumb-bob off your knee to set the seat fore-aft so that it passes through your pedal spindle when at 3 o-clock pedal position. When sitting and on your hoods, your f. hub should be obscured by your h-bar. To me, your bar is rotated down too much - I would rotate your bar up so that the bottom of the bar is parallel with the ground...you may need to rotate your hoods in the process...just doesn't look right to me. I always vote for riding/messing with fit yourself first before paying hundreds of dollars for what usually amounts to v. little adjustment for most folks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Size is 56, 2015 model brand new never use or assembly quick release model.
    I order that model and then decide to go to the 2016 Thruaxle model instead.
    I will post on classified in few days, (try to sell local first )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_20160618_110743.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_20160616_195330.jpg  

I like turtles
    Thanks for your helpTiGeo, yes i already rotate the stem and fix the handle bar, i also adjust the seat height to match my mtb, so far that adjustments feel way better, i`m working on my attack position, this week end i will do a 20 miles pavement route so i can get more feedback. bike feels good, a little stiff on the road. What you guys think about the suspension seatpost?, i found a few cheaper on the 25$ up mark
    Just look at the Specy CGR or the Niner RDO post...I use both and both do have some flex to help take the edge off. Most of this is probably related to tire pressure and the fact that most people run WAY too much pressure. I ride my 38s tubeless with 30 psi offroad and 45 psi for pure pavement. I weight 165.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast