Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd go with the Rival build. You're going to spend 150-200 replacing the terrible brakes anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Has anyone bought the 4 star build? With the Force 22 group on it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, and overall I like it quite a bit.

Specific questions? Weighs in with pedals just over or below 20lb in a 56. Pedals are XTR SPDs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Yes, and overall I like it quite a bit.

Specific questions? Weighs in with pedals just over or below 20lb in a 56. Pedals are XTR SPDs.
    I didn't know it came with pedals. I've been looking at it online. A few places have it for around $2600. Its a toss up between the 4 star with Force 22 or the 2 star and then replace and front and rear d's with Ultegra.

Have you had any issues with the stock tires and the Iron Cross rims? It seems like everyone seems to complain about tire pressure for the tires is too much for the rims.

Is there anything you would change on it?

I'm looking to use it as my do everything bike. Trails, road to the trails, and probably a little cross racing (I use that term racing very loosely).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    I didn't know it came with pedals. I've been looking at it online. A few places have it for around $2600. Its a toss up between the 4 star with Force 22 or the 2 star and then replace and front and rear d's with Ultegra.

Have you had any issues with the stock tires and the Iron Cross rims? It seems like everyone seems to complain about tire pressure for the tires is too much for the rims.

Is there anything you would change on it?

I'm looking to use it as my do everything bike. Trails, road to the trails, and probably a little cross racing (I use that term racing very loosely).
    I run tubes - 60 to 90 psi. No problems. Sounds like problems people are having is when they run tubeless.

Pedals didn't come with bike, that is what I got and didn't weigh before pedals were put on.

I have taken it on most of the trails I ride here in Santa Cruz (aside from super sandy areas and Demo). I've done a handful of 30-50 mile road rides on it. I've also done mixed terrain riding with no problems.

The stock seat is not my favorite. I'll swap in a selle italia when I get time. I like the bb7s since I run them on two of my bikes. I certainly could see non-mechanicals being better, but I am happy.

Overall a decent bike for the price point.

-j

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I run tubes - 60 to 90 psi. No problems. Sounds like problems people are having is when they run tubeless.

Pedals didn't come with bike, that is what I got and didn't weigh before pedals were put on.

I have taken it on most of the trails I ride here in Santa Cruz (aside from super sandy areas and Demo). I've done a handful of 30-50 mile road rides on it. I've also done mixed terrain riding with no problems.

The stock seat is not my favorite. I'll swap in a selle italia when I get time. I like the bb7s since I run them on two of my bikes. I certainly could see non-mechanicals being better, but I am happy.

Overall a decent bike for the price point.

-j
    Gotcha on the pedals. And thanks for all of the other info. Sounds like the bike I need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well I should have known, the 4 star that's on sale is backordered. I guess I'm going to pick up the 2 star build from the LBS instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had my RLT 4 Star for 5 months now and have taken it everywhere, such as 3 days Of the Great Divide route in Idaho and Montana , 800 road miles around Yellowstone, and used it as my mountain bike around the Targee/Gallatin national forest. I have put Conti Crossride 700-42s (1.7s) and couldn't be happier.
    Now comes the down side, I have developed a creak. I have stripped the bike, tightened and greased everything as well as replaced the pf30 bb. It's getting frustrating. A
    Anyone else out there have a similar issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Derailuer Hanger

Next question, how is your derailleur hanger holding out? It seams pretty soft and I have replaced one already. I am not liking the single small screw that holds it on as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Yooper View Post
    Now comes the down side, I have developed a creak. I have stripped the bike, tightened and greased everything as well as replaced the pf30 bb. It's getting frustrating. A
    Have you checked the rear cassette? Sometimes the rivets used to hold cogs together can be improperly assembled, causing play. Under torque, those rivets can move and create a creaking noise. I had this issue on an XTR cassette a few months ago (on one of my mountain bikes). Tough to test off the bike as it's difficult to replicate the torque you apply. The best way to test is to pull off the cassette and test the bike with another cassette. Hope this is the root of your problem... as this should be a warranty item.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm loving my 2* build with the 105 11spd. It's such a great all around bike. Spyre's get installed this weekend along with the AC Hurricanes. Hoping to shave at least a pound with the AC wheels and going tubeless. Going to upgrade bar to something carbon and I'm done. Ridden close to 400 miles so far and no issues. Get a lot of looks from other riders seeing a Niner dropbar bike.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Yooper View Post
    This may sound stupid (but it happened to me), have you checked your saddle rails? The last bike I had (A Douglas CX, forget the actual name) started creaking on me out of nowhere. Checked it left and right (except for the saddle because, you know, it's the saddle) and couldn't figure out what was making the noise. I decided to saw off my arm to use it for payment at the LBS to see if they could figure it out (I was expecting them to just go crazy and take advantage of me) and low and behold the creaking stopped after we put a little lube on the saddle rails where it made contact with my Thomson seat post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So what's the consensus (if there is one) on brake upgrades for the 2 Star build?

1. TRP HY/RD
    2. TRP Spyre
    3. Avid BB7

My order was delayed so I have an extra 2 weeks to plan upgrades and spend even more money : )

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadieSeeksMTB View Post
    So what's the consensus (if there is one) on brake upgrades for the 2 Star build?

1. TRP HY/RD
    2. TRP Spyre
    3. Avid BB7

My order was delayed so I have an extra 2 weeks to plan upgrades and spend even more money : )
    Anything but the stock BB5's. All of those are a good choice.
    If you go for the TRP HY/RD in black, I have an extra one (NIB w/ 160mm rotor) that I will sell cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, I installed the Spyre's last night and they went on pretty easily. Only issue is the stock spacers front/rear do not allow the caliper to use the whole surface of the brake pad on the rotor. And if I don't use any of the spacers the caliper comes very close to touching the spokes. So I kept the stock spacers on for now and see how it performs before I make some changes. Otherwise, I really like the adjustability of the brake pads and their customer service rocks since they replaced a defective Spyre real quick!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Getting antsy for mine. Supposed to ship this week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Running a problem solvers E46 bottom bracket, and some custom spacers to get the cranks to run. Currently geared at 33/16.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I recall getting jumped on when I called the BB5s out as an embarrassment back in April on a couple of trial rides. Those things were horrible. Night and day even with the bb7s.

CDK
    mtbr member
    Well i am pretty sure my SRAM S350 PF30 bb that came on my 2* has faild. It is super-duper creaky and doesnt feel right on the non drive side. After doing a search it seems to be a problem with these botttom brackets. For the record i am not a fan of sram (other than forks) at all and this doesnt help

recent MTB mania victim
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    So what about fenders and a rear rack. What are folks using?
    ~bump~

I'm interested in fenders/mudguards & racks too, especially ones that might be easy to attach and remove. With the RLT9 being such a multi-purpose bike, it would be nice to be able to get the commuter dress off it quickly in time for weekend fun...!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Re: Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    ~bump~

I'm interested in fenders/mudguards & racks too, especially ones that might be easy to attach and remove. With the RLT9 being such a multi-purpose bike, it would be nice to be able to get the commuter dress off it quickly in time for weekend fun...!
    I haven't ridden with it much yet, but the thule pack n pedal rack seems to work well on the RLT9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Creak ?!?!

Just completed a race last weekend on my new RLT9. It was the first true ride with serious climbing. Developed an intermittent slight creak every few rotations of the crank. It sounded like it was coming from the drive side of the BB / crank but can't confirm for sure. Seems like this is a potential issue that others have experienced. I have a SRAM S500 BB30 crank w/ a pressfit adaptor. Any feedback / advice is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-rlt9-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    So what are folks looking at as a replacement BB? My RLT shipped last week and should be in to the LBS by now. I am out of town for the week, so if the BB seems like a weak spot, I would plan to upgrade it before picking up the bike...

CDK
    mtbr member
    I use my rlt9 for commuting although it sees a lot of miles I am not racing with it or anything and I haven't replaced my BB that had seemingly taken a dump yet but I have been eye balling the Chris King PF30 BB which will more than likely be the replacement that I choose

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjiCX View Post

Running a problem solvers E46 bottom bracket, and some custom spacers to get the cranks to run. Currently geared at 33/16.

Any reason you didn't go with the Niner EBB?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just passed 1600 miles on mine and no problems with the bb. I did a race/ride early in the Summer which was really dusty. Over the course of the ride I built up so much crud on my drive train that it sounded like my bb was going, the loudest bike I've ever ridden. Maybe it is something about the aluminum frame which resonated like that but I could have sworn it was a bad bb. I cleaned up of the chain and rings and that made it dead silent again. I won't look to proactively replace the bb.

On a different note, I replaced the bb5 brake calipers with Spyres. I got about 1200 miles on the Spyre pads before they needed replacement (front only yet), replaced the pads with Shimano M05 resin and maybe its just subjective but I think they are a better pad, I seem to get more power out of them with less grip.

My miles have been about 50% commute on streets, 10-15% dirt, balance is streets and roads getting to the dirt and in between trails. Some muddy riding and some indiscriminate wash downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Getting antsy for mine. Supposed to ship this week.
    I was supposed to have mine at the beginning of the month, but it's been pushed back to mid-September. I guess Niner can't get the bike to the shop I'm buying from until then. Getting antsy, CX season is coming and I'd like to get some miles in before I start racing!

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looking to get one of these. I'm 6 foot 32 inseam. Do I go 56 or 59? Will commute on it and some off road rides.

Thanks

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJF View Post
    Looking to get one of these. I'm 6 foot 32 inseam. Do I go 56 or 59? Will commute on it and some off road rides.

Thanks
    I'm 5'9-5'10ish with a 31in inseam and ride a 53 and its right on the money

recent MTB mania victim
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogerson View Post
    I haven't ridden with it much yet, but the thule pack n pedal rack seems to work well on the RLT9.
    Those do look good (though somewhat expensive). Are they easy to get on and off?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I was successfully able to make the stock wheels and tires on a 2* build tubeless. 1 layer of 21mm Stan's yellow tape and 1.5 oz Stan's liquid. Used Stan's valves as well. Used a CO2 to initially air it up and it all sealed within about 10 minutes after spinning it for a while and shaking it side to side. It's lost a about a pound since this morning sitting in the basement. Next test is to take them out for a ride. Will test this weekend and provide update soon.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Thanks for the update. Good to know. Still waiting on mine. Supposedly shipped from Niner around the 20th but still no sign of it at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    Those do look good (though somewhat expensive). Are they easy to get on and off?
    Bags are easy. The rack is a little bit of a pain to put on or take off-- not terrible though.

You can do the whole setup for under 200 bucks as long as you grab this deal, like I did. http://www.biketrailershop.com/thule...et-p-3637.html

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by Fogerson View Post
    Bags are easy. The rack is a little bit of a pain to put on or take off-- not terrible though.

You can do the whole setup for under 200 bucks as long as you grab this deal, like I did. http://www.biketrailershop.com/thule...et-p-3637.html
    Some of the online reviews mention rubbing of the paint at the mounting points. Have you noticed this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Some of the online reviews mention rubbing of the paint at the mounting points. Have you noticed this?
    No, because I put clear frame protector at the mount points.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Went out for a ride with the 2* setup tubeless and burped the front. Both do not seem to hold air for more than a day. I'm thinking I need to go with a tubeless tire so it will fit tighter on the stock niner wheel. The wheel seems to be fine it's just Sammy Slicks don't fit tight enough when tire pressure is low.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been happy with Stan's raven tubeless CX tires.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Look what landed today

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

To those who are having BB issues.....

My FSA PF30 BB in my RLT shelled itself after only 120 miles from new. After quite a bit of head scratching I determined that, although the frame was faced from the factory and appeared to be parallel, the faces were actually not square to the inside of the BB tube itself. I had to use the Park BB facing tools to remove about .45mm from each side (.9mm total) in order to square it up. I then checked 4 other frames at the shop I work at and found them all to have the same issue to varying degrees. So, don't just keep blaming and replacing The BB as you may have a similar problem. Mine has been fine since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Look what landed today

Trumpus - Any chance you can measure the spacers between the brake caliper and the fork? I'm using the spacers that came with BB5s and the offset is still too much.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got mine last week, put it together and have put around 75 miles on it so far. Will include photos in a future post.

*First Impressions*

The BB5's are as bad as advertised. Not very responsive and I was adjusting the calipers forever to get the rotors to stop scraping. Going to read up on the BB7's vs Spyre's vs HY/RD's to upgrade.

The bike is much lighter than I expected from the size 59 aluminum frame. 22.4 lbs with peddles and a plastic bottle cage.

It's responsive and snappy and the steering is as "twitchy" as I like it to be. And very comfortable on road, grass, gravel, and rockier trails. Was thinking about going with the Niner carbon seat post but I have't had any issues there. The cockpit rattles, so I wonder if carbon handlebars (I'm thinking the Thomson KFC bars) will settle it down. Also wish the stem angle didn't point up so much. I'm not an expert on stems, so does anyone know if the stock stem angle is adjustable (not the spacers, the angle of the stem) at all?

Would love to find a tubeless solution for the wheels/tires, but in the meantime going to put the Challenge Grifo open tubulars on for CX season. I was a little worried about the label "gravel grinder" vs. bona fide cyclocross geometry for a bike I was planning to race, but I don't think I will be handicapped at all with this bike. The only issue - and this is a fatal flaw on Niner's part for a bike that it claims can be raced - is that the top tube is sort of diamond shaped at the bottom and digs into the shoulder when one shoulders the frame through the triangle.

Apart from that, I'm loving this bike. Think it's the most versatile solution for CX races, gravel grinders, rails to trails paths, and just exploring that I've found.
    Last edited by RoadieSeeksMTB; 09-14-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: addition to post

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Which carbon seatpost comes in the 3 and 4 star versions, the RDO or regular carbon? Is the RDO much better?

On my road bike my seatpost is stiff as nails and therefore super painful.... Wondering how good the RDO is...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    Trumpus - Any chance you can measure the spacers between the brake caliper and the fork? I'm using the spacers that came with BB5s and the offset is still too much.

So for the rear, both sides of the adapter measure 6 mm from the post to the washer. In the front, the upper end measures 15 mm and the lower end measures 9 mm.

Tonight I picked up a set of Stan's Iron Cross wheels from another local (who pulled them from his 4* build). He confirmed that he has been running Clement X'plor MSO 40mm 120 TPI tires tubeless without issue. These are what I was planning on running - psyched!

Anyone else have separate road and gravel wheels? Any issues with caliper/rotor alignment?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone know what the frame weight is for any size of the RLT9?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Last edited by steinercat; 10-17-2014 at 12:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Two of us from Chain Line Cycles putting the RLT9's to good use at Orchard Cross this past weekend. Two ends of the spectrum for frame sizes!

Niner RLT9-orchardcx.jpg

mtbr member
    Great pic
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Any reason you didn't go with the Niner EBB?
    Yes it's a PF30 variety, and Niner at that time didn't have that available, the distributor here in the UK was giving me vague times, and I didn't want to be without a bike for the coming cross season. There is still no sign of the Niner PF30 eccentric in the UK, and that's now almost three months on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Made some upgrades to the RLT9:
    American Classic Hurricanes, Specialized Tracer Pro tires, Specialized Pro Phenom saddle, Syntace P6 Hiflex seatpost, Syntace F109 stem, Ritchey Superlogic EVO Curve bar, FSA SLK cranks, XTR pedals, TRP Spyre brakes and K-Edge chain catcher. With no pedals and setup tubeless it's at 18lbs 12oz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-uploadfromtaptalk1415045961866.jpg  

Niner RLT9-uploadfromtaptalk1415045977687.jpg  

Niner RLT9-uploadfromtaptalk1415046013425.jpg  

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

So for the rear, both sides of the adapter measure 6 mm from the post to the washer. In the front, the upper end measures 15 mm and the lower end measures 9 mm.

Tonight I picked up a set of Stan's Iron Cross wheels from another local (who pulled them from his 4* build). He confirmed that he has been running Clement X'plor MSO 40mm 120 TPI tires tubeless without issue. These are what I was planning on running - psyched!

Anyone else have separate road and gravel wheels? Any issues with caliper/rotor alignment?
    Thx for measuring!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

New shoes - Iron Crosses with Clement X'Plor MSO 40's. Tubes now, but will set up tubeless next week after the tires stretch a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    New shoes - Iron Crosses with Clement X'Plor MSO 40's. Tubes now, but will set up tubeless next week after the tires stretch a bit.

Don't do it. Trust me, those tires will not work tubeless on those rims for more than 100 yards. Your face will thank me. Your dentist will not. The tires are awesome though, I now run mine with tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Don't do it. Trust me, those tires will not work tubeless on those rims for more than 100 yards. Your face will thank me. Your dentist will not. The tires are awesome though, I now run mine with tubes.
    Dang!? The guy I bought the wheels from said he had been running them tubeless - same tires- for over 500 miles without issue!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You can certainly try it... My front tire blew both beads on pavement with 40psi. It was not a fun day. Same rim and tire combo.
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    @Trumpus

How is it on asphalt/road? Stiffness an issue?

I was almost ready to go with the Tamland, but a local sale on an RLT frameset came up.

Also, what was the final weight on your build!

Thanks!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    @Trumpus

How is it on asphalt/road? Stiffness an issue?

I was almost ready to go with the Tamland, but a local sale on an RLT frameset came up.

Also, what was the final weight on your build!

Thanks!
    I don't have much to compare it to as this is my first drop bar road-ish bike but the couple of road rides I've done have not been unpleasant!

I've only got a cheap analog luggage scale to weigh with but it look like I'm right around 20-22#. Not super light, but if I wanted svelte I would have gone with a road bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So, I've been a fan, but I have been suffering clicking issues related to the PF BB the last couple of months. I was concerned, brought it into shop I bought it from for "3mo service" which was complimentary and reported clicking, they did nothing about it. I brought it to someone I know, they pulled the BB and lubed the crap out of things, it got rid of the main issue, but still there was a slight click. I called Niner and asked about a different BB, say Chris King, they said it shouldn't be necessary and bring it to shop and have them check things out.

I will be dropping the bike off at the shop I bought it from tomorrow and demanding dealing with the click. I'll be mentioning the post previously about things not being square. I'm annoyed because I like the bike, the light weight, and the road/trail performance. But random clicks drive me nuts. My 8 year old Co-Motion touring bike (which I take off road now and then) has none of the same issues.

Note, this is after an earlier issue w/ a defective SRAM crank set that left me w/o the bike for 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So, I've been a fan, but I have been suffering clicking issues related to the PF BB the last couple of months. I was concerned, brought it into shop I bought it from for "3mo service" which was complimentary and reported clicking, they did nothing about it. I brought it to someone I know, they pulled the BB and lubed the crap out of things, it got rid of the main issue, but still there was a slight click. I called Niner and asked about a different BB, say Chris King, they said it shouldn't be necessary and bring it to shop and have them check things out.

I will be dropping the bike off at the shop I bought it from tomorrow and demanding dealing with the click. I'll be mentioning the post previously about things not being square. I'm annoyed because I like the bike, the light weight, and the road/trail performance. But random clicks drive me nuts. My 8 year old Co-Motion touring bike (which I take off road now and then) has none of the same issues.

Note, this is after an earlier issue w/ a defective SRAM crank set that left me w/o the bike for 3 weeks.
    grumblingcrustacean,
    I'm now at about 2500 miles on mine, mostly commuting lately. A couple weeks ago I started getting an intermittent click, mostly with pedal pressure on the nds, which got worse day to day. I have the stock SRAM bb and crankset. I noticed that the preload adjuster was totally backed off, it's possible I did not reset it with work I did a few months ago, but I thought I had. Anyway, I cleaned everything up and reset the preload and that seems to have solved the click. Maybe worth a second look at it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    In the ongoing saga of my RLT. I've had SRAM replace the crankset and BB. I've had the BB pulled apart and greased up and reseated twice (maybe 3x). The most recent - I asked to make sure that the faces on the BB are actually true (per an earlier message in this thread). I've got basically the first RLT in Santa Cruz county. Just picked it up after them checking out the faces, plan on doing the Los Gatos/MTBR turkey ride with it tomorrow.

Mechanic at the shop I bought it from said the all plastic parts SRAM is using for the PF30 are simpler for the manufacturer, but more prone to squeaks/clicks.

I'm giving this bike one more chance to be click free (I've done a lot of little rides, a few longer, but nothing that should warrant the amount of shop time the BB has seen), if that fails...I'm pressing the shop to raise an issue w/ Niner. This isn't like the single bolt EBB on the Sir9, the bike has low miles, but not a period of a half dozen or so rides w/o a creak showing back up? I also mentioned preload adjuster.

Lemon territory. Bleh.

Called Niner about it, mentioned "would a Chris King PF30 BB fix this"? "Shouldn't be needed."

Running towards wits end.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In the ongoing saga of my RLT. I've had SRAM replace the crankset and BB. I've had the BB pulled apart and greased up and reseated twice (maybe 3x). The most recent - I asked to make sure that the faces on the BB are actually true (per an earlier message in this thread). I've got basically the first RLT in Santa Cruz county. Just picked it up after them checking out the faces, plan on doing the Los Gatos/MTBR turkey ride with it tomorrow.

Mechanic at the shop I bought it from said the all plastic parts SRAM is using for the PF30 are simpler for the manufacturer, but more prone to squeaks/clicks.

I'm giving this bike one more chance to be click free (I've done a lot of little rides, a few longer, but nothing that should warrant the amount of shop time the BB has seen), if that fails...I'm pressing the shop to raise an issue w/ Niner. This isn't like the single bolt EBB on the Sir9, the bike has low miles, but not a period of a half dozen or so rides w/o a creak showing back up? I also mentioned preload adjuster.

Lemon territory. Bleh.

Called Niner about it, mentioned "would a Chris King PF30 BB fix this"? "Shouldn't be needed."

Running towards wits end.
    Just a question, how do you know it's the bb? The hub could be defective. The pedals could be the problem. Derailleurs can have clicks. It seems like you've checked the BB enough that you might look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I did a custom build so call me a no star RLT. Used Wheels Mfr PF30 to outboard Shimano 24, non-ceramic, angular contact bearings. Tip top. No creaks and no complaints. I'm about 245 lbs running 180mm cranks so if it doesn't creak for me you should be good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Regarding the tubeless issues... I'm running Stan's ZTR Grails with WTB Nano 40's. The beads seated as advertised, have run them at 65 down to 20 psi. No burbs, no problems. Had one puncture recently (1-2mm slice actually) while riding with some roadies and the tires at 65psi. Sprayed sealant until it stopped leaking just like the Stan's video. Added some air and did another 20 miles. Crazy to me but even with these big tires doing 20mph on pavement isn't hard. I have a set of Hutchinson Fusion 25's that I was going to use for road riding but not worth the trouble of swapping unless I'm going to do a century. Nanos are truly a do anything tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I am considering getting one. I just wondering if I should wait until the new model comes out. So does any one know when the new model is coming out?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    I am considering getting one. I just wondering if I should wait until the new model comes out. So does any one know when the new model is coming out?
    Thanks
    The 2015 RLT's are on the Niner website now. Go with at least a 3* build to get hydraulic brakes. The feel of the mechanical brake is garbage.

Or is there a new model coming out that I am unaware of?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The feel of mechanical brakes is garbage?

I've had BB7s on three different bikes -- CX, touring, and mountain -- they work great and are easy to work on.

If you are only used to hydraulic brakes, then that may be a factor. For me, I'm fine with them. The BB5s, that is a whole different matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Niner RLT9

The feel of mechanical brakes is garbage?

I've had BB7s on three different bikes -- CX, touring, and mountain -- they work great and are easy to work on.

If you are only used to hydraulic brakes, then that may be a factor. For me, I'm fine with them. The BB5s, that is a whole different matter.
    True, I am comparing the mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes on an SSCX bike that I had built up. I mean one finger braking with the TRP Hylex. Can't get better than that along with great modulation. I'm looking into some of the new Shimano RS685/785 mechanical shifter and hydraulic brake combo to replace my 105 shifters and Spyre brakes.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I took almost a 3 year hiatus from MTBR. Glad to see the magician (DavidCopperfield) is still spreading his knowledge!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Build help

Hi currently building a RLT9 for myself and another for my fiancee...

On my bike i am putting on a Di2 groupset. Anyone have Di2 on their bike? How is it internally wired between the rear derailleur and junction inside the bottom bracket? The hole i have on my frame seems way too small to fit the wire thru.

Also does anyone have a size 47cm bike? Is the front derailluer clamp in between the water bottle bosses? Seems like an odd design as i have but will work.

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Works very well on Crest wheels, which are also Stan's, so not sure what the difference would be. I've had them set up about 2 weeks, and raced one cross race on MTB trails (marathon MTB race had a 1 lap cross category, 18ish miles, 80% fairly tame singletrack with some roots throughout) and a few other MTB trails that were a bit more rocky - no issues so far.

Thinking of going with the Nano 40c TCS when they eventually get them out, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cam3 View Post
    Also does anyone have a size 47cm bike? Is the front derailluer clamp in between the water bottle bosses? Seems like an odd design as i have but will work.

thanks!
    Yes, the clamp goes between the bottle bosses. I ran it like this all this past year, but actually just removed the front derailleur to go to a 1x10.

Rider down under
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    The 2015 RLT's are on the Niner website now.

Or is there a new model coming out that I am unaware of?
    Damn I was hanging out for a carbon frame version this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Placed my order at the LBS yesterday. They mentioned I should have it in less than a month.
    On sizing... I had my mind set on a 59cm (I am 6'1"), but the guys at the shop strongly encouraged me to go 56 based on the frame's geometry. (the good news is they will be getting a 56 and 59 at the same time and I will have my pick. But they are betting I will go with the 56).
    What size did you go with, Bacons? I am 6'0" and trying to decide on the 56 or 59. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went with the 56. It fits nicely. I did, however, change the stem out for one that is a bit longer... 120mm (vs. the 100mm stock).

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cam3 View Post
    On my bike i am putting on a Di2 groupset. Anyone have Di2 on their bike? How is it internally wired between the rear derailleur and junction inside the bottom bracket? The hole i have on my frame seems way too small to fit the wire thru.
    The hole on the chainstay at the rear derailleur is a bit snug for the connector to make the turn but it does work, with some encouragement. At the bottom bracket end, you can fish it out with the string and vacuum method.

The J-box fits slides in fine through the "bump out" beneath the bottom bracket... it can live in the seattube or downtube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm new to the forum and researching sizing for the RLT. Unfortunately, there is only one bike store in my city which sells Niner and they don't hold any completes so I won't be able to test a 53 or 56.

I'm 5'10.5 with 31" standover/inseam. I've seen some posts on this thread where people are sizing down from what is recommended on the Niner site for their height range.

The Niner site lists 56 as the size for height range 5'8 to 6'1. I've tested a couple of cyclocross bikes available at a LBS and I found the 53-54 sizing was most comfortable for me. So I'm leaning towards getting the 53cm RLT. Hoping to have people provide advice on the frame size they went with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Chill,
    I'm about the same height and inseam as you and went with a 56cm on the advice of Niner. It was a good choice. I have about 10 months on the bike with the stock bars, plus the last couple months have switched to On-One Midge bars. Either bars I don't think I would like a smaller frame size. I commute, ride dirt roads and intermediate singletrack on it. Not trying to get you to second guess your decision, if the 53 size feels better to you then that's likely the better choice for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for your helpful comments shinewheel. This is my first geared road type bike. I'm used to riding BMX which fit small and also been riding a singlespeed which I sized down (53cm) for better manoeuvrability in the city.

So for the RLT, which I anticipate doing long rides on gravel and trails with, I may just need to get familiar with a more appropriate size for my stature. I'm going to test more bikes and speak with the Niner dealer in my city to get a better idea of what is right for me.
    Last edited by chill.vinson; 03-06-2015 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    What size did you go with, Bacons? I am 6'0" and trying to decide on the 56 or 59. Thanks in advance!
    For what it's worth, I, too, am 6'0" with a 31" inseam. I went with the 59 and I think the fit is perfect.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ive been waiting for a red and black in size 53 for almost 2 months. all the other colors are avaliable. anyone know when the red and black will be available again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -camber View Post
    ive been waiting for a red and black in size 53 for almost 2 months. all the other colors are avaliable. anyone know when the red and black will be available again?
    The black/red is currently listed as "in stock" in both complete build and frame/fork only at Jenson (where I bought mine).
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ordered through my lbs. they had my size sitting on the floor in the mint and industry grey. I could very easily have taken on of those home but they ordered me the black and red 2 star build. Last word from niner was that they should have the bike by the 15th then ship it to my lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam and ride the 53. I like for my bike to feel a little smaller (I like the quicker and more dynamic feel) and can say definitively that for me The 56 would be way too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by chill.vinson View Post
    I'm new to the forum and researching sizing for the RLT. Unfortunately, there is only one bike store in my city which sells Niner and they don't hold any completes so I won't be able to test a 53 or 56.

I'm 5'10.5 with 31" standover/inseam. I've seen some posts on this thread where people are sizing down from what is recommended on the Niner site for their height range.

The Niner site lists 56 as the size for height range 5'8 to 6'1. I've tested a couple of cyclocross bikes available at a LBS and I found the 53-54 sizing was most comfortable for me. So I'm leaning towards getting the 53cm RLT. Hoping to have people provide advice on the frame size they went with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My RLT9
    sram red/x9 1x10 group
    dirtys: Bontrager cx with 1.75" smart sams
    Roads: Light bicycle carbons with vittoria gumwall tubulars
    TRP HY-RD brakes.

Normally set up as the roadie, hoping to hit up the odd cx race!

Niner RLT9-10885172_10153656119885021_4203100953985824372_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice looking bike.

Definitely big on the black color.

Too many bikes, not enough time/money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    cheers man, its a 59 (I'm at 6'0) I'll shoot through some road setup pics

mtbr member
    Can anyone point me a link to an online store for the best hydraulic brakes for a rlt9?
    I am from costa rica and need to buy it online to have it sent over here, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
    Can anyone point me a link to an online store for the best hydraulic brakes for a rlt9?
    I am from costa rica and need to buy it online to have it sent over here, thanks!
    Find some TRP/HYD brakes. If you want mechanical, the normal TRP Spyres are good.

Probably not the cheapest, but you can find at Road & Mountain Bikes | Apparel, Accessories & Parts | Competitive Cyclist.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Since I already have mechanic I am looking for hydraulic

mtbr member
    I think your RLT deserves some of these. Free shipping.

Shimano ST-RS685 Hydraulic Disc Brake STI's & BR-RS685 Disc Brakes | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    Pics of my rlt with new tires

Niner RLT9-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427226429.733796.jpg
    Niner RLT9-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427226488.604737.jpg

Those are 29x1.95

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow that looks close!!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    So, a steel RLT 9 showed up on the French Niner Facebook page but I/we can't find any more info. on it anywhere. Anyone know anything? I'm curious if the Frenchies accidentally let the cat out of the bag or it's an early April Fools joke.

I just went to look for the post again and it's been removed... I know that because I messaged it to a friend and the post in messenger says it's been removed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Tubeless tire question. I just ordered an RLT and a pair of Stans Grail wheels. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out if the WTB Nano 40c tires will mount up tubeless. It appears that Stans says no the the tubeless TCS version. Anyone used the WTB TCS with Grails? Or will the race version work well? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    So, a steel RLT 9 showed up on the French Niner Facebook page but I/we can't find any more info. on it anywhere. Anyone know anything? I'm curious if the Frenchies accidentally let the cat out of the bag or it's an early April Fools joke.

I just went to look for the post again and it's been removed... I know that because I messaged it to a friend and the post in messenger says it's been removed.
    Niner RLT9-11096693_428157474017123_6496480993246011506_n.jpg

No details as yet but it is steel and it's real

Quote Originally Posted by bear the bear View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11096693_428157474017123_6496480993246011506_n.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	976825

No details as yet but it is steel and it's real
    Sweet! Maybe reason to buy my first Niner and a buddy his 5th or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Sweet! Maybe reason to buy my first Niner and a buddy his 5th or so.
    Why would anybody want 5 Niners! Guy must be a freak! ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The steel RLT is on the Niner website now.

RLT 9 STEEL

Thanks Geralt....

mtbr member
    While I like the aluminum one I have, this steel one would have been my first pick if released a year ago.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast