Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone have issues getting the headset tightened properly on the RLT? There is just a tiny bit of play that I can't get sorted and I already have the top cap at 6 Nm. This is for the 4 star build kit.

Another question - what is this bit that came in the parts baggie? Spacer for 10 sp?

Niner RLT9-img_0244.jpg

mtbr member
    Any updates on ride quality from those who have theirs? This bike is still high on my want list and I'm interested in how it rides on the road as well as gravel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Niner RLT9

Mine rides like butter...I have 43c rubber at 45 psi so I guess it should.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Forgive my ignorance but is the gearing ok for a road newbie? I don't want a true road bike. I like discs, want the versatility and love the way the RLT looks. Wondering, though if I'll be able to keep up with friends during a group ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That really depends on you and your friends. I have friends that crush it on ss road bikes. I don't know how they do it. If you put 23 or 25c road tires on a bike like the rlt then there is really no reason you couldn't keep up with most roadies. Even with a fun (40c) tire you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    First ride will be tomorrow
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Stock 4 * build.

Had some creaking in the bottom bracket after about 120 mi. Had it in the shop yesterday and will check for recurrence.

Overfill , very nice/impressive.

If you want decent granny, stock may not work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been riding my 2* build for about a month now, roughly 50 miles on dirt road and single track and about 150 on the road. I can maintain a 20 mph speed easily on the flats but I had never intended to use this bike for faster than that. The ride was harsh until I lowered tire pressure to 45/50 psi. Now its acceptable, I may switch to fatter tires.

I do not like the bb5s and just last night installed a new Spyre on the front. It left only a little over a mm space between the caliper actuation arm and the spokes, at least it doesn't hit. The "feel" is much more solid than the bb5, it will take some time to bed in the pads so I'm not sure on ultimate power yet compared to hydros which I am used to. I hope the rear clears as well and will install it tonight.

I'm liking the bike a lot and can't wait for more rides on it.
    Niner RLT9-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Follow up - after the shop looked at it, they thought they fixed the creaking, but it was still clicking/creaking on a short ride w/o much in the way of hills.

It's back at the shop and they are scoping out the issue further.

With taxes and a work trip next week, I've got time and will toodle around on the single speed instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm curious if anyone else is having creaking issues w/ the PF30 bottom bracket.

I haven't gotten into the guts of the PF30, but for my local niner shop, the frame + kit (ala Santa Cruz bikes) is new to them, and from what I've seen some what new to niner. So, the shop has a bit of learning maybe.

I've got two other niner's in addition to the RLT - a 2012 Jet 9 RDO, and an older Sir 9. So, I like the brand. I had persistent squeaking on my Sir9 that the new EBB (2 bold design) took care of. I'm just wondering if the RLT BB is something new or if the persistent creaks/squeaks are a lark.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's just you. They use that bb on petty much everything they make. And I don't hear all my customers saying that it doesn't work. If suspect it's a setup issue.
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As I said, it seems like it is new to the shop. They are exploring, but I was curious.

My other niner rigs came from other paths, mostly self built up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Turns out it was a faulty crank. Clicking between the crank arm and spindle. Happy it sounds like it will be fixed soon.

mtbr member
    another ride done and I just need to get a post with some setback to tweak the position. My oldest likes the bike, but is about 6" too tall.Niner RLT9-rlt.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How have the wheels been on the 2 build? I am strongly considering the purchase and overall like the build of the 2 for the price but wondering if the wheels are decent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm the New Zealand Niner Distributor so I'm probably a bit biased, but for what it's worth I think that those Niner branded wheels in the 2 Star Kit look really nice. We just got a couple of complete bikes in and I was very pleasantly surprised at the weight, even spoke tension and bearing quality in the hubs. I haven't ridden them but they look pretty damn good. Before we got the 2 Star Kits we built up a couple of RLT's with custom wheels, Stan's Iron Cross rims on Shimano CX75 hubs and to be quite honest personally I'd be equally happy with the Niner wheels. One thing I did notice is that the free hub body has 11 speed printed on it, which assuming that it means what it says, is a nice bonus in terms of drivetrain upgrade options.

mtbr member
    Everything on the 2-Star is solid, except the aforementioned BB5 brakes. Outside of them and a bit longer stem (I wanted a bit more length), that was the only changes I have made to mine.

mtbr member
    Anyone try/or think these will fit on the RLT? I know it will depend on the rim as well, I would mount them to ZTR Crest rims.

Panaracer Fire Cross Tire at BikeTiresDirect

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Bought today an RLT9 in gray, the 4star build.... What a great ride!... Coming from mtb, and dound it fast, great handling and very responsive and comfortable .... Me happy!...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Anyone try/or think these will fit on the RLT? I know it will depend on the rim as well, I would mount them to ZTR Crest rims.

Hope those fit. Wouldn't mind using them on my Crest wheels as a singletrack tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    Anyone have issues getting the headset tightened properly on the RLT? There is just a tiny bit of play that I can't get sorted and I already have the top cap at 6 Nm. This is for the 4 star build kit.

Another question - what is this bit that came in the parts baggie? Spacer for 10 sp?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	882608
    I also have a problem with the head set. It appears that the spacers are a tad big for the stem so they move around and offset. That is what caused mine to loosen. I realigned them, tightened it down, and damn if it didn't happen again. Going to the shop on Monday (they want to take it for a spin. They can't get one in so they want to try it out) so they are going to look at it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have 200 miles of everything on this bike. Single track, gravel, road, and rain soaked gravel. I love this bike, maybe not the BB7s, but everything else. I have random riders gawk at it at the trail head and on the road. Which makes you know you got the cool bike.

Now for the little problems that popped up. The headset spacers move around, the front deraileir is a little finicky, the front wheel (Stan's Ironcross) are tricky to remove and put back on, and the full length housing is a little loose and hits the frame. Each in its self is minor, but all together it's annoying. So Monday I'll get new spacers, put something between the housing and get the front D straightened out. As far as the wheel I don't know, I might have to file off the lawyer tabs or get a longer quick release, I'll get some other options at the shop.

Anyone else have anything?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am at a little over 275 miles on mine now, mixed between street commuting, road miles getting to dirt and roughly 50 miles on dirt. I've only had two or three minor issues on my 2* bike:

The front bb5 brake did not bed in well and resulted in a grumbling noise when applied. I did not like the bb5s anyway and have since installed Spyres, which are working out nicely. There is about 1-2 mm clearance between the front Spyre caliper and the spokes, kind of close.

My front wheel is also difficult to remove and install. I've measured the distance between dropout faces on the fork is about 99 mm, not the proper 100 mm. On top of this there are depression seats formed on the inside faces of the dropouts which act like the lawyer tabs on the outside faces, so you need to apply a slight spreading force to the fork to remove the wheel. Maybe this feature is intentional? Not a big deal but a little annoying. You'd have to file both the inside and outside of the tabs to address this.

Oh, and reading the serial number off the frame is next to impossible to get accurate confidently due to the thick paint obscuring some of the digits.

Other than those minor issues I think the components are well chosen and work well, the wheels are good quality and light, and I am enjoying the bike for a variety of uses, which is what I bought it for.

mtbr member
    A couple questions for both 2 & 4* builds. Can you put road tires with tubes on these rims? And, can the hubs be converted to use DT Swiss through axels?
    Thanks,
    Shawn

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    A couple questions for both 2 & 4* builds. Can you put road tires with tubes on these rims? And, can the hubs be converted to use DT Swiss through axels?
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    Either can be run with tubes. Road tires shouldn't be a problem either, though I'm not sure how they'd behave with less than 28mm.

Unsure of any tubeless behavior on the 2 star. I'm using tubes with removeable valve cores and will add some sealant to that as soon as I remember to pick some up.

Road tubeless might be an issue on the 4 star, based on Stan's site ("If you wish to use both Cyclocross and Road Tubeless tires, we recommend the Alpha Disc wheelsets").

Unsure on your DT Swiss question, sorry.

mtbr member
    I'd probably build up another set for road, with H Plus Son Archetype rims and CK hubs. I'd still like to know if I could run DT throughs.

mtbr member
    Check it out. A little expensive for an Al frame!
    RLT 9

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post

Can't actually answer your question, as I don't have my RLT yet, but I have experience running this tire (in 45c width) on my current cross bike and it is a really solid tire. Heavy, as it is pretty meaty, but Having that much volume and aggressive tread make it almost like riding a mtb - let out the brakes and bomb!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Argh, the release of the new updates for RLT seem too soon. I just got my 2-star build in early March! The new 2-star build now comes with the full 105 11speed version. And the black/red paint job is nice! ARGH

Curious, though. As I'm relatively new getting into cycling in general, is this a common occurrence where upgrades, etc. are released within months of official launches? I've been assuming it's an annual thing, not a cycle that occurs within months. It's reminiscent of the cell phone market in Asia where a new model HAS to be released every few months. Almost like planned obsolescence.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs148/1101892244311/archive/1117193163370.html
    Last edited by pwetstar; 04-29-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: additional question

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Check it out. A little expensive for an Al frame!
    RLT 9
    The top of the line Trek Boone has a similar build spec but is a carbon frame and is priced at $6,299. I think this seems expensive but the delta seems appropriate between a top end aluminum frame and a carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwetstar View Post
    Argh, the release of the new updates for RLT seem too soon. I just got my 2-star build in early March! The new 2-star build now comes with the full 105 11speed version. And the black/red paint job is nice! ARGH

Curious, though. As I'm relatively new getting into cycling in general, is this a common occurrence where upgrades, etc. are released within months of official launches? I've been assuming it's an annual thing, not a cycle that occurs within months. It's reminiscent of the cell phone market in Asia where a new model HAS to be released every few months. Almost like planned obsolescence.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs148/1101892244311/archive/1117193163370.html
    A lot of companies bring stuff out as soon as they can. That's the beauty of a smaller more flexible company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keifla123 View Post
    The top of the line Trek Boone has a similar build spec but is a carbon frame and is priced at $6,299. I think this seems expensive but the delta seems appropriate between a top end aluminum frame and a carbon frame.
    It does have a lot of great parts on it. I'll bet it's a couple pounds lighter then the 4* build.

29ers Only.
    We definitely aren't planning obsolescence. There are a few things at work here:

1. Component release calendars are not on the same schedule as frame release schedules. In this specific case, the 105 11 speed didn't release until well after we had the frame ready. We don't do model years, but you will often see manufacturers who do release 2014 1/2 models for this reason.

2. Color option decisions vary from company to company. As a small manufacturer, if we keep a smaller color range when a bike is new, we can focus on getting bikes out to riders sooner. A simplistic way to explain this is: if we make 100 bikes in 1 color, chances are 1 in 5 (size XS thru XL) that we will have exactly what you want when you call to order. If we make 100 bikes in 2 colors, chances are 1 in 10 we will have what you want when you order (5 sizes x 2 colors), if we make 100 bikes in 3 colors, it is 1 in 15, etc. Obviously, we try to predict the number of frames we need in each size and we use our experience to order the right ratio of color options, but it isn't a perfect science. Once the product is well established, it is easier to fit a few extra colors into the mix.

3. Finally, we also listen to our riders. We do take rider requests for specific colors, spec options and even entire products into account when we sit down in our product planning meetings. Sometime that means we decide to release a now color.

I'm stoked you've got an RLT 9 - that bike, much like the ROS 9, was a bike that all of the staff of Niner wanted to make for themselves. The Mint paint was actually inspired by a bike shoe that, as a very poor bike shop mechanic 18 years ago, I couldn't afford but really, really wanted. They were oh so cool, and oh so French. :-) It's fun to be able to make a bike in those colors now.

Cheers,
    Carla

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    A lot of companies bring stuff out as soon as they can. That's the beauty of a smaller more flexible company.
    Yeah, but I guess as an early adopter, I can't help but feel shafted since the official release date was February and I got mine first week of March. The two-star model gets somewhat of an upgrade with full 105 drivetrain in a couple of months. I understand that my purchase timing fell between the cracks--that's all.

I mean, I like this bike a lot--but just kind of diminished because of the fast cycle of changes. But I guess I just need to check my privilege as I still have a good bike.
    Last edited by pwetstar; 04-29-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: clarified that I like the bike even with my grumbling

mtbr member
    Yeah, but I guess as an early adopter, I can't help but feel shafted since the official release date was February and I got mine first week of March. The two-star model gets somewhat of an upgrade with full 105 drivetrain in a couple of months. I understand that my purchase timing fell between the cracks--that's all.

I mean, I like this bike a lot--but just kind of diminished because of the fast cycle of changes. But I guess I just need to check my privilege as I still have a good bike.
    You know the first computer I ever bought was $2500. Every time I buy a new one I think about that first one that I spent a lot of money on. I look at it this way. I'm just glad that every time I buy a new one, I can get it cheaper and more powerful then the previous one. Same with bikes, new stuff comes out and they just keep getting better and better. And, you can upgrade as parts break or wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You know the first computer I ever bought was $2500. Every time I buy a new one I think about that first one that I spent a lot of money on. I look at it this way. I'm just glad that every time I buy a new one, I can get it cheaper and more powerful then the previous one. Same with bikes, new stuff comes out and they just keep getting better and better. And, you can upgrade as parts break or wear out.
    Well, coming from the IT world, I know what you mean. There's always something newer and better no matter when your purchase point started.

What kind of shocked me--and which is why I posed the question was that I didn't really expect that model to apply to the cycling world (But then again, I just jumped in to this late last year--so no experience yet). I assumed, like cars, that they usually have about a year between changes to product lines. (but what do I know, I'm in IT, not manufacturing/marketing)

As I mentioned earlier, I understand that my timing of purchase was just not advantageous for me.

And using the term "planned obsolescence" was a bit harsh as I know there's no ulterior motive to Niner's product release cycle--they just want to get it out quicker and they can since being nimble with decisions/releases is an advantage of smaller firms. That term really applies to iPhones/mobile devices since parts aren't replaceable--and with bicycles, they are.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Honestly I'm glad I got mine when I did before they went to 11spd. I have replacements for 10spd parts, not so much for 11, and I imagine I'd need a new 11 spd driver for my hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

My Industry Grey frameset that I ordered just showed up at my LBS and when I asked if I could get it swapped for the black they told me it would cost a 25% restock fee + shipping

mtbr member
    I haven't purchased mine yet, but I certainly feel for those if you who did and now wish you had waited. This seemed incredibly fast to come out with changes and additional options. I understand several months later, but in this case there are still people waiting to take delivery if what they ordered months ago.
    This is the type of thing that usually causes me to stay a step behind on new releases, wether it be cars, electronics, bikes etc.
    The reward for early adopters is to be the "first on the block". That typically comes with an increased price, functionality issues, and fewer choices.
    All that said, I really like this bike, and I still think I would buy the industry grey. The build change seems like a positive move.
    I agree with others who have pointed out the price if just frame and fork. Feels pricey for mass produced aluminum.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This is actually the way I would expect things to go well into the future. This is about manufacturing calendars and the ability for more and more industries to stock less and less and the product companies to rapidly bring out new product to meet demand.

Why not pass along a better product as it comes available? Sure it pisses off a few people, but that just means there never really is a good time to launch unless you take the product off the market for a period of time. Is it too soon? No. There is great interest in this bike which means Niner is smart of invest in making it better and more widely available in both volume and choices.

This may not be the option you want to hear, but sell your frame/bike you got and I bet you can sell it for MORE than you paid. The demand and wait for this bike is enough that someone will probably pay a premium. Then you can get in line for the one you want. Do it now though before that option vanishes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    My Industry Grey frameset that I ordered just showed up at my LBS and when I asked if I could get it swapped for the black they told me it would cost a 25% restock fee + shipping
    I'd call Niner and ask them. If you paid shipping both ways, I would think they would swap frames for you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that is the shop charging the restock and shipping. The shop probably doesn't want a grey frameset sitting on the floor.

mtbr member
    If the 25% restock fee isn't standard procedure with Niner, then I'd bet Niner would be a little upset with the shop. Because, in my mind that means the shop is trying to rip you. That's why I said to call Niner and find out what the deal is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that is the shop charging the restock and shipping. The shop probably doesn't want a grey frameset sitting on the floor.
    Yeah, the shop already had a mint green in 53 (which I didn't like the color of) and had ordered the grey for me, so they'd have to send it back to Niner. I didn't ask if Niner was charging the restock or how it broke down. While I may have been willing to deal with a restock fee if I really wanted the black frame (which I don't want nearly that badly), the availability of the frame was also quite limited

Either way, since it'd be some time before the LBS could get one of the black frames, I just went with what I already had. It's going to be built up with a Di2 Hydro build and HED c2+ rim/White Industry T11 hub wheelset. Only question remaining is what tire to go with

mwb
    mtbr member
    -----deleted question, found answer-----

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just got a rear rack fitted to my 2 star RLT build. Went with the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack. I chose the disc break rack so that I could also use it on another bike I have. It turned out to be a PITA for the RLT though as the alumunum blocks that hold the screws for the bottom connection point were too large to fit on the mount point. I had to file them down. I also had to cut up and bend the metal strips that are used for the top connection point. It worked though with some modification. I think the non-disc rack would have worked better.
    Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack w/disc Mounts (w/o Spring)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In my 7 years as a mechanic I have installed thousands of racks (lots of commuters). I have never installed a task that didn't need modification. From bending the stays to fit the dropouts or bending and cutting the metal braces. It's just normal rack stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    This may not be the option you want to hear, but sell your frame/bike you got and I bet you can sell it for MORE than you paid. The demand and wait for this bike is enough that someone will probably pay a premium. Then you can get in line for the one you want. Do it now though before that option vanishes.
    Doesnt appear that this is An option...there are two on Ebay right now, brand new, both less than retail.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Doesnt appear that this is An option...there are two on Ebay right now, brand new, both less than retail.
    I saw 1 on ebay for exactly what retail is and in a 47cm.
    I just bought a 53cm yesterday and from the looking around that I did it seems that the 56cm is what no one has in stock so if it is that size you may be able to get some loot for it

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast