Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Want! Anyone have advice on sizing? This wi be my first road-ish bike.

I'm 5'10, 31" inseam.
    I'm the same height with slightly longer legs and went with the 56cm. Niner recommends the 56 for folks 5'8" to 6'. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the next size down is a 53cm which seems too small for our height unless you have a very short reach.

mtbr member
    Trumpus, 53cm sounds ideal for you. But I would go to your LBS to properly size.
    I am 6'1" with 34" inseam, I will be running a 56cm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    LBS called and the RLT is in! I got the 105 version--can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Niner RLT9-image.jpg
    The frame is in but I am still waiting on a few things to come in before it can be put together.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Niner RLT9

Bah, I'm jealous! Mine was supposed to be at the shop on the 15th, but hasn't come in yet. Hoping to get it before a mid march gravel ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just picked up the 2-star; 53cm RLT9 today! I think it's awesome--but it's pouring here and didn't feel like riding today.

More pics here:
    Niner RLT9 2014 - Imgur
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-ylf9jmt.jpg  

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by pwetstar View Post
    Just picked up the 2-star; 53cm RLT9 today! I think it's awesome--but it's pouring here and didn't feel like riding today.

More pics here:
    Niner RLT9 2014 - Imgur
    Looks awesome! Want one so bad!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The bike looks beautiful. How are the wheels? The 2 star build looked like pretty good quality, but I wondered if they cut corners on the wheels a bit to get to that fairly attractive price point. Looking forward to ride reports.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Unfortunately, I am relatively new and can't tell the nuances of different wheel qualities. Any specific thing I should be looking for when on/off a ride?

mtbr member
    We built this RLT up last week.

Really happy with how it came together! The full cable routing is nice and with Shimano PTFE cables there is no perceivable drag. The tire clearance is MASSIVE.

Ultegra 6800 11 speed 46/35 crank and 11-32 cassette
    RDO Post
    WTB Ti rail Saddle
    FSA Flat top shallow drop bar
    Niner Aluminum Stem
    ZIPP Service Course CX bar tape
    Shimano CX77 Calipers
    Stan No Tubes Iron Cross Wheelset
    Clement Xplor MSO 40's
    DT Swiss RWS 9mm through bolt on front wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_4352.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_4353.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_4354.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_4355.jpg  

Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    As you ride more you will see that wheels are one of the things that greatly influence the performance of a bike. Some roll better, some feel more solid, some are more durable. I would be most interested to hear how these wheels compare to the Stan's that are on the 4 star build. You shouldn't worry about that and just go out and ride that sweet bike! Are you taking it on gravel or are you in a place where the weather let's you get on some trails? Enjoy! It is beautiful!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Picked mine up and was able to ride yesterday. Mostly on the road due to rain, but hit a few neighborhood park paths. Awesome ride, and very comfortable. The Sammy Slicks aren't bad, but I'll probably get some beefier tires once I set up my Crest wheelset on it (tubeless, obviously).

Always Learning
    Dang!!!! 18 week delivery date for the 62cm from Jenson (for the mint). 18 weeks!!!! That removes this season from the equation...

mtbr member
    Bruce, was that for the complete or just the frameset. Looking to pickup just the frameset..

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunz View Post
    Bruce, was that for the complete or just the frameset. Looking to pickup just the frameset..
    Both say "Usually ships in 17-18 weeks"...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So you waited until one of the most talked about bikes of the year was shipping to start the order process? I bet they are sold out until late 2016! They look awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    So you waited until one of the most talked about bikes of the year was shipping to start the order process? I bet they are sold out until late 2016! They look awesome!
    Eh, we've all been burned by that. It's why ordered mine in September.

Speaking of which here she is in her final form. Now only if the rain would let up and I could shake this cold...

Always Learning
    No, I was just commenting. The size HUGE is available in the full build of the grey frame, but I'm not eyeing that one. I don't know if they have even produced the mint in size HUGE yet. It was scheduled to be coming later in an earlier report I read about it, and now I know when that "later" is....18 weeks from now.

There are other "talked about" bikes for gravel grinding I'm looking at as well. We size HUGE's have very little to pick from these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got 2 star build size 53 today (21.0 lbs w/o pedals)! I've been looking at this bike since it was announced. As soon as I took it for a test ride, I knew it was to be mine. BB5's got to go. I am thinking TRP HY/RD.

mtbr member
    Niner RLT9-image.jpgThe build on my 47cm is coming along. Two snags so far. The BB was very, very difficult to press in. Not sure if anyone else has had that issue. 2nd one that really stumps me is that there is a sticker right in the frame that says it uses a 31.8 front derailleur. Well it does not fit, but a 34.9 does.

mtbr member
    I put the first 30 miles on last Sunday. It's the first time I've ridden a 'skinny' tire bike since the early 1990's. It took a bit of time to adjust to drop bars and steering, but after a few miles, I felt very comfortable in the saddle. Although my mountain/fat bikes will still be my go-to bikes, the RLT will be nice to have this during the Spring & Fall months when the trails are unridable. I plan on some gravel treks very soon.
    I bought a two star complete, and the only change I made was to move from a 90mm to 110 stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got my HUGE (62cm) 2 star build up and running last week. Still haven't wrapped the bars as I'm playing with hood/bar positioning. First road/CX/gravel bike ever so its gonna take some getting used to. Build came in right under 24 lbs. I sometimes just like to sit in my garage and stare at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-rltweb.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ Lookin good. Are you planning to keep that amount if spacers on steerer tube below the stem? How tall are you? I would likely get that size as well. Thanks
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, I'm 6'4" with a gut so a lot of handlebar drop gets uncomfortable. Thats a full steerer. In that pic I hand't adjusted the seat height yet, bars are about an inch below my seat now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Test rode 2-star builds of the 53 and 56 today. The 56 was much more comfortable than the 53, I am 5'9 with a 30" inseam. My initial thought - I really like the bike, but Niner should be embarrassed speccing this with BB5s. Also, the downshift lever on the 105s had some seriously sharp edges...felt odd.

The Campy cantilever brakes on my mid 90's Bianchi road bike (which I rode to the shop) had better stopping power. BB7s aren't a huge leap in cost but are way better brakes (I've got them on both my Sir9 singlespeed as well as my Comotion Americano).

I've got the local shop building up the 4* 56 they had in stock and will try that out this week. I don't have the time right now to build a complete bike up myself.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Test rode 2-star builds of the 53 and 56 today. The 56 was much more comfortable than the 53, I am 5'9 with a 30" inseam. My initial thought - I really like the bike, but Niner should be embarrassed speccing this with BB5s. Also, the downshift lever on the 105s had some seriously sharp edges...felt odd.

The Campy cantilever brakes on my mid 90's Bianchi road bike (which I rode to the shop) had better stopping power. BB7s aren't a huge leap in cost but are way better brakes (I've got them on both my Sir9 singlespeed as well as my Comotion Americano).

I've got the local shop building up the 4* 56 they had in stock and will try that out this week. I don't have the time right now to build a complete bike up myself.
    Not sure they should be "embarrassed". It's a $2k build with lots of other great parts.

How do you know the BB5s were even set up properly? Pads bedded? A test ride on a new bike is hardly adequate to declare something a complete failure.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

So I'm considering ordering an RLT. It would be my first road-style bike. If plan to use it for gravel rides, some around town stuff, and road rides and on a trainer.

As a complete newb, I was planning on ordering the 2 star build but was thinking of some upgrades (brakes, carbon post and bars). Does this make sense or would I be better off spending a few hundred more and stepping up to the 4 star?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok, embarrassed was probably a little strong. But it is the weakest component on the 2* build, at least for me.

As for the setup of the BB5s, the shop does good work, but I also (having had some before) adjusted them a bit. Yes, there is a break in period that helps, but BB5s compared to BB7s are night and day (and performing worse than my campy cantilevers... )

That said, assuming no surprises on my taxes, I will be getting picking one of these bikes up.

mtbr member
    I am very used to my XT hydros, and BB7s on my mountain bikes...they both stop great. And you are spot on, the BB5s are terrible. I'll deal with them for now... But I will likely swap these out at some point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I am very used to my XT hydros, and BB7s on my mountain bikes...they both stop great. And you are spot on, the BB5s are terrible. I'll deal with them for now... But I will likely swap these out at some point.
    This is interesting, huh? I have two bikes that came factory spec with BB7's and both have msrp less than this bike. Oh well...never used BB5, are they that bad?
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    They just don't seem to grip the way the BB7's do. You've got to pull harder to stop and modulation is meh at best. They aren't terrible, just not that great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bet they are rather embarrassed about this, they should probably just stop selling the bikes altogether. The BB5 road and BB5 MTN are different brakes, mine work great!

Ok, embarrassed was probably a little strong. But it is the weakest component on the 2* build, at least for me.

As for the setup of the BB5s, the shop does good work, but I also (having had some before) adjusted them a bit. Yes, there is a break in period that helps, but BB5s compared to BB7s are night and day (and performing worse than my campy cantilevers... )

That said, assuming no surprises on my taxes, I will be getting picking one of these bikes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    The good news is BB7's are a dime a dozen (and cheap) on the used market. I will be keeping my eye out for a decent set of 'mtns.'

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    The good news is BB7's are a dime a dozen (and cheap) on the used market. I will be keeping my eye out for a decent set of 'mtns.'
    Brings up a good point - so I guess there's no major issue using the mtb version on a road bike?

mtbr member
    Nope. Talked with the tech at my LBS about this very topic yesterday. He runs BB7 mtns on his X-bike and said the RLT would be nicely suited for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got my 2 star build last week. I installed TRP HY/RD on Friday. Awesome brakes,easy to set-up!The TRP's did require new brake cables as the BB5 cables were too short.

Most Delicious
    BB7 Mtns are designed for V-brake levers - using them with standard road levers means you'll have to set your pads closer (because of less cable pull) and they'll feel spongier (higher leverage). Yes, they'll work, but they'd work better with a V-brake drop bar lever. If you're running single speed or barcons, the Tektro RL 520 would do the job, or there's also the option of Retroshift CXVs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've got a question about the RLT geometry (stack height specifically). I'm looking at the size 53 and it is showing a stack height of 574. I've been riding a Cannondale CAADX size 51, which has similar geometry numbers as the RLT size 53 (145 HT length and 71 degree HT angle), but the stack height for the CAADX is listed as 541, which seems much lower. Not sure why the big difference. The RLT fork actually has a shorter A2C of 400 vs. 410 for the CAADX. The BB drops are close, 70 for the RLT vs. 67 for the CAADX. What am I missing? It's not a big deal, but I'm considering a test ride and was trying to get a sense of how it would compare to the CAADX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I bet they are rather embarrassed about this, they should probably just stop selling the bikes altogether. The BB5 road and BB5 MTN are different brakes, mine work great!
    As I mentioned, "embarrassed" was too strong, I was jet lagged at the time. Probably best to not post then. That said, even adjusted the BB5s were no comparison to worn in campy cantilever or BB7s which I had ridden the same day. Thankfully, here in Santa Cruz I could take it on a short loop that had some hills, ****ty roads, and other fun near by the shop.

I will be testing out a 4* build tomorrow, and if it works out, will be buying the bike. If not, I will put it on my list of "get frame, build up, have fun"...which requires time I don't have right now.

I've got mountain covered, I have touring (and road, with concessions) covered...gravel, not so much.

I live in a place where if I want to do long rides either a good touring bike (CoMotion Americano in my case) or more of a cross/gravel bike really is useful for the condition of the mountain roads.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edgold73 View Post
    I've got a question about the RLT geometry (stack height specifically). I'm looking at the size 53 and it is showing a stack height of 574. I've been riding a Cannondale CAADX size 51, which has similar geometry numbers as the RLT size 53 (145 HT length and 71 degree HT angle), but the stack height for the CAADX is listed as 541, which seems much lower. Not sure why the big difference. The RLT fork actually has a shorter A2C of 400 vs. 410 for the CAADX. The BB drops are close, 70 for the RLT vs. 67 for the CAADX. What am I missing? It's not a big deal, but I'm considering a test ride and was trying to get a sense of how it would compare to the CAADX.
    What are the two head tube lengths?

Bikes designed more for touring riding often have taller head tubes to make the riding position more upright.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Plenty of Mtn BB7s running non-VBrake configurations. Not sure where you get the "designed for vibrates" I have the mtn version on both my touring bike and singlespeed build Sir9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I can't speak to stack height. I am 5'9 and thought a 53cm would fit me. I tried both a 53 and 56cm 2* build and the 56 was much more comfortable (short inseam 30")/less compact.

If you get the chance to test multiple sizes, do so. I'm double checking a 56cm 4* build before pulling the trigger this week. I'm not concerned about size, but verifying components.

Most Delicious
    Plenty of Mtn BB7s running non-VBrake configurations.
    Like I said, it will work.

Not sure where you get the "designed for vibrates" I have the mtn version on both my touring bike and singlespeed build Sir9.
    <a href="http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/6M91kGZmvluDNkXpl7PtOW0JiuYDnhsO0PvppSU-9R8/mtime:1372788152/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5015-008-000.pdf">RTFM?</a>

"<em>Only levers designated for side-pull brakes, such as Avid's Speed Dial and FR5 levers, can be used with mountain Ball Bearing Disc Brake....Failure to do so will reduce the performance of the system</em>"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    What are the two head tube lengths?

Bikes designed more for touring riding often have taller head tubes to make the riding position more upright.

The head tube lengths are actually the same, 145mm. The head tube angles are also the same, 71 degrees. This is why I'm confused. Seems like the stack numbers should be close, however there is a big difference. I'm wondering if either the Niner or the Cannondale stack value is simply wrong, Niner and Cannondale measure differently, or I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The head tube lengths are actually the same, 145mm. The head tube angles are also the same, 71 degrees. This is why I'm confused. Seems like the stack numbers should be close, however there is a big difference. I'm wondering if either the Niner or the Cannondale stack value is simply wrong, Niner and Cannondale measure differently, or I'm missing something.
    I'm dealing with similar decisions. Not sure about the HT angle on the CAADX, though. Web has it from 70.5 to 72.5 for sizes 48 to 58. RLT9 has it 70 - 72 for 47 - 59. But Stevens has it as 70-71.5 for 52 -58 (base model). So for gravel riding, and for size 58, the CAADX should theoretically be more responsive, but harsher. Yeah, I know that there are ton of other variables in this; rake, tires, etc. The tire width may be most telling, since I'm not sure the CAADX will be able to take anything near the size of RLT9's. Why the analysis? Big price point difference between these bikes at the 105 level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

4* RLT and I sure was annoying this week...

People read the manual? I had a good week of being annoying, clearly. Also, I wasn't making the connection between vbrake being linear pull.

Anyway, picked up my RLT this week, 56cm Fresh Mint, 4*. Took it on a short spin on the local trails. Rides well and I will spend some time dialing it in.

Niner RLT9-1383125_10152289016804254_505578469_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mine is now all done, but skiing has been too god to pick it up from the shop and go on a ride. Good skiing will be gone soon enough, though and then I can post a ride report. Here is a photo of my twin brother's 2-star build and my parts build. Both are 47cm frames.

Niner RLT9-rlt9s.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, I found a deal on eBay for a new TRP HY/RD so I thought I would give it a try. I fitted it to the rear (after a remarkably easy install) and I have got to say it is light years better than the BB5s. Butter smooth, quiet, great modulation and stopping power. I would have never thought a cable actuated hydro brake would work this nice. I now have an order coming to replace the front. bmajik, thanks for the recommendation!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bar end shifters, nice addition. Red cable housings look good as well. Despite the butter smooth SRAM Force shifters, I still find myself reaching for the bar ends out of habit (my CoMotion has them).

Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Bar end shifters, nice addition. Red cable housings look good as well. Despite the butter smooth SRAM Force shifters, I still find myself reaching for the bar ends out of habit (my CoMotion has them).

Enjoy the ride.
    It has been a long time since I rode bar end shifters, but I wanted the simplicity of those with the ability to get hydro brakes, TRP Hylex, in the future.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast