Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    Almost pulled the trigger on a new warbird a few days ago but glad I spent more time goolging and found this! Anyone receive theirs yet?
    My Niner dealer told me to expect them in February. Is this not the case? Has anyone else heard otherwise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    My Niner dealer told me to expect them in February. Is this not the case? Has anyone else heard otherwise?
    Mine said January... When I put my deposit down it was December/January....so sliding right with each visit.

I've been collecting parts...soon I'm gonna have everything but the frame and the wait is really gonna hurt then

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I talked to a Niner guy at a demo today. He said they expect the first run to be late January.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    For the guys with little road knowledge, think of both 105 and Rival as roughly equivalent to SLX level components. Rival is slightly lighter, but I prefer shimano 105. Everyone has their own preferences so it'd be best to try both somewhere, the shifting action is different between shimano and sram. Both groupsets are great, so you'll be fine with either build.

Once you get farther into the details the $3k build has a few upgrades over the $2k (crank, wheelset, hydro disc brakes, carbon seatpost). If I were buying now I'd likely opt for the $3k build primarily based on the wheels and hydro disc brakes, however the $2k build is well spec'd as well.
    I am currently debating which build to get as well. What makes you like the 105 over the Rival? For me I am debating durability and reliability in mud. I plan on taking this bike on some really long rides multi day rides where it might get really wet and muddy. Am leaning towards the $2k build for that reason alone in case I destroy the bike quickly, but kinda wanted to upgrade the wheels so am on the fence cause once I upgrade the wheels I will be at almost $3K anyway.

I am itching to get my pre order in asap so I can snag one in the first run of these things

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    I am currently debating which build to get as well. What makes you like the 105 over the Rival? For me I am debating durability and reliability in mud. I plan on taking this bike on some really long rides multi day rides where it might get really wet and muddy. Am leaning towards the $2k build for that reason alone in case I destroy the bike quickly, but kinda wanted to upgrade the wheels so am on the fence cause once I upgrade the wheels I will be at almost $3K anyway.

I am itching to get my pre order in asap so I can snag one in the first run of these things
    I plan on getting the 2k version, and buying an extra wheelset w/ the money I save. After that I'll set the stock wheels up w/ some slicks for road riding and set up tubeless on the new set w/ offroad tires.

mtbr member
    Fontarin, what wheel set do you plan on buying?

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

I am now told January delivery as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Fontarin, what wheel set do you plan on buying?
    Hadn't decided yet - I'll probably try to find something used. Maybe the Iron Cross if I can find them on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Gave my down payment to Chain Line Cycles for my 47cm RLT frameset. Now to just wait. I will be using Crests with Slant Six SCT 700x32 tires and the majority of the SRAM Force stuff coming from my Soma Double Cross. Trying to figure out what brakes to go with. I contemplated TRP Hylex with a barcon shifter set up 1x10, but also thinking TRP Spyres since shifting from the hoods does make a difference in cross races.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You could move all the force stuff off the soma and set up the left hand shifter for brake only. CX magazine has a hack to pull out the shifty bit from a sram shifter.

Single Ring: Removing the Double and Tap from SRAM Double Tap | Cyclocross Magazine ? Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

Force 1x10 with a wolf tooth 42 front and wifli 11-32 rear is what I have waiting form my RLT build.

mtbr member
    Still daydreaming about this bike.....thanks for listening.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Me too! Strictly a mtb'er without a real interest in road riding, but something about this bike appeals to me. I ride some gravel roads and it would work well for that, but it makes me want to find other uses - commuter, bar hopper, casual road, winter trainer....

mtbr member
    This bike makes me want to find a group to go do some all day gravel grinding. Very appealing indeed.

mtbr member
    Im excited to hear how much these weigh. Wish it came with the RDO fork for QR15. I think I'm going to end up getting the 2 star 105 spec model and upgrade to some china carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It would weigh less if it was carbon.

I am kinda wondering why make this out of alloy?

Considering Niner's expertise in steel and the touring nature of the bike I reckon the base model should have been steel with carbon fork and the premium model carbon with carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    It would weigh less if it was carbon.

I am kinda wondering why make this out of alloy?

Considering Niner's expertise in steel and the touring nature of the bike I reckon the base model should have been steel with carbon fork and the premium model carbon with carbon.
    I don't know...but how much less would it really weight if it were all carbon? They list it at 3.08 pounds with the carbon fork. Cant imagine the weight difference being very noticeable, but I'm sure the price would have been way higher. Steel would have been nice, but I am glad it isnt carbon
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    My guess is an all carbon version is coming as long as the bike is selling well

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maybe 500gr lighter in carbon based on similar weights for 29'er mtb's.

My point is that I think aluminium is a technical dead end for the bicycle industry for hard tail/rigid bikes.

If you need the weight saving of alu over steel/titanium to be at the pointy end and win races then you will now go with carbon.

If you don't need the weight saving then imo steel is a better frame building material for the average rider. Of course I mean properly engineering high quality, high strength butted steel tubing. If you can afford it ti is better again for rigid/hard tail bikes.

mtbr member
    Sold my carbon Superfly and my Moots YBB. Neither one made me a better rider, but then again, I ride for fun. I like Titanium and carbon has its place, but I just dont think that making this bike a $5000 bike to save a POUND would appeal to the masses. It would definitely appeal to some, but for the ultra lighters that are trying to win a race, are they going to buy this bike anyways? Maybe...but I dont see this as a race bike, so why make it unnecessarily more expensive? Just my opinion.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am enjoying the friendly sharing of opinions fat_tires. Just saw your bike list in your footer.

I am basically saying the same thing. This should have been a steel frame because in this class of bike a pound or so is insignificant.

My initial comment was only that it would be lighter in carbon, not necessarily better.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Agree that steel would be nice, but looking forward to this one regardless.....enjoying the conversations as well. Have a good evening
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

Most Delicious
    I don't see this bike as a tourer - the stays are too short and it looks like racks would be awkward to mount. And if it was steel it would compete against a bunch of other bikes - Surly Straggler, Kona Rove, Salsa Vaya. By going aluminum they could position it a bit more into the racing crowd and test the market cheaply without having to make a commitment to producing carbon molds in an area that's still a new category. The hydroformed tubes already hint to a possible carbon shape and aluminum is a better choice for mating to a tapered steerer fork. And if it pans out, they can come out with the carbon bike as an upgrade. If the bike was a steel tourer you can't really go upmarket.

mtbr member
    I have almost all my parts in now. I will be going SRAM barend shifters with an X9 rear dearailleur and a Wolf Tooth 40T N/W ring up front. The brakes will start out as Avid mechanicals, but plan to get TRP Hylex by cross season. This thing will be a nice mix of modern tech and retro-grouch at the same time. My one last decision is do I go with a Biocentric II and the crankset I have or do I go with a PF bottom bracket and get a 30mm crankset?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ordered the 105 spec build. Supposed to be in sometime in February. I'm going to go with the stock wheelset for road, and steal my Stan's Crest wheelset off my mountain bike for gravel/singletrack and easy tubeless setup. Still haven't decided on the tires in that configuration, so if anyone has suggestions for a 42-45c tire, let me know.

Outside magazine posted a review, but there's not much to it:
    Looks Great, Rides Even Better: The Niner RLT 9 | The Cycle Life | OutsideOnline.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Niner RLT9

I'm probably going with Bruce Gordon rock n roll tires for my build. Tubeless, of course.
    Last edited by Fogerson; 01-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast