Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Thank you... That probably makes sense since the frame and fork alone is over 1,000
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    I appreciate the Warbird & RLT comments. Good to hear from a Warbird owner as well. I think you guys changed my mind... I may go Niner. I look forward to the reviews.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Really like this bike. I think it may be my first road-kinda bike. Any opinions on the builds? I am not familiar with road components. Is the higher build worth the extra thousand, or just go cheap? What about just frame and building? Thanks
    I'm in the same position (strictly Mtber looking for a do all road option with NO knowledge of road bike gear) and I appreciate the responses. This is definitely on my radar now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get miles in during the weekdays once day light savings hits in a month and I really don't want to get a true 'road bike'. I live in Atlanta and want to pickup a bike to ride the city streets in the early morning before work.

Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but would this bike be over/under kill for city riding? Wasn't sure if I need to cave and shop for a road bike...

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get miles in during the weekdays once day light savings hits in a month and I really don't want to get a true 'road bike'. I live in Atlanta and want to pickup a bike to ride the city streets in the early morning before work.

Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but would this bike be over/under kill for city riding? Wasn't sure if I need to cave and shop for a road bike...
    Not overkill at all in my opinion. I use a Warbird as my gravel grinder and sometimes road bike. For what its worth, I'm more of a mountain biker, but I got the Warbird to do some gravel races that are put on locally and now I am in love with gravel grinding. The RLT seems like a good alternative to the Warbird and a do it all type of bike. $2k is not a bad price at all.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply J3SSEB. One last question on sizing... Would I go for the 56cm frame at 5'10 - 5'11?

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SSATL77 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply J3SSEB. One last question on sizing... Would I go for the 56cm frame at 5'10 - 5'11?
    I can't say with certainty what frame size you should be on, but I can say that typically someone in that range in stature would ride a 56cm or 55cm.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I'm in the same position (strictly Mtber looking for a do all road option with NO knowledge of road bike gear) and I appreciate the responses. This is definitely on my radar now!
    For the guys with little road knowledge, think of both 105 and Rival as roughly equivalent to SLX level components. Rival is slightly lighter, but I prefer shimano 105. Everyone has their own preferences so it'd be best to try both somewhere, the shifting action is different between shimano and sram. Both groupsets are great, so you'll be fine with either build.

Once you get farther into the details the $3k build has a few upgrades over the $2k (crank, wheelset, hydro disc brakes, carbon seatpost). If I were buying now I'd likely opt for the $3k build primarily based on the wheels and hydro disc brakes, however the $2k build is well spec'd as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    For the guys with little road knowledge, think of both 105 and Rival as roughly equivalent to SLX level components. Rival is slightly lighter, but I prefer shimano 105. Everyone has their own preferences so it'd be best to try both somewhere, the shifting action is different between shimano and sram. Both groupsets are great, so you'll be fine with either build.

Once you get farther into the details the $3k build has a few upgrades over the $2k (crank, wheelset, hydro disc brakes, carbon seatpost). If I were buying now I'd likely opt for the $3k build primarily based on the wheels and hydro disc brakes, however the $2k build is well spec'd as well.
    I ride about 2,000 miles a year on the road on a Trek Madone. I have a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra parts. I'm looking at selling my Madone and rolling the funds over to the RLT once it is available. I've been looking for a CX bike that might handle more like a MTB. I've thought about building a A9C with a rigid fork and drop bars to archive this. Now the RLT fits into my plan nicely.

As far as components go. The 105 is closer to LX/X9 then any thing else. I'm going to get the base model and upgrade with a couple sets of wheels. One for the road and one for the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Compatible Chainsets

Anyone have any ideas of some compatible double chainsets. Don't fancy using MTB ones.

Niner have the following in their builds:

SRAM S350
    SRAM S550

Any other light non carbon options? Don't mind running a FP30 adapter for external BB or ISIS. It's the 73mm shells that's seems to kill the options available. Even the Shimano CX chainsets are 68mm only .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One of us should give Niner a call and confirm that spacing. I'm really thinking it's a typo. Those Sram cranks are PF30 road cranks. It is possible they have a longer spindle though.

If it truly is PF30 with 73mm spacing, I bet you could run any 386 Evo style crankset though. Those work on pretty much any BB standard. I have an FSA model on a PF30 (68mm) CX frame and it requires spacers to make up the extra width missing on the BB shell.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1234 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas of some compatible double chainsets. Don't fancy using MTB ones.

Niner have the following in their builds:

SRAM S350
    SRAM S550

Any other light non carbon options? Don't mind running a FP30 adapter for external BB or ISIS. It's the 73mm shells that's seems to kill the options available. Even the Shimano CX chainsets are 68mm only .
    Can someone care to take a few minutes to detail for me the deficiency associated with mountain bike cranksets on CX bikes? Is it simply Q factor and weight? Because there are numerous low profile and light weight options. Is it the available bolt patterns and ring sizes?

Thanks
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    MTB cranks are great, on mountain bikes

Basically what you've said. MTB cranks are typically heavier and much wider than a standard road/cx crankset. Even a Sram narrow Q MTB crankset is about 10mm wider than a typical road crank. That's actually a lot and can mess with some people's knees.

Also, your mention of bolt patterns and chainrings are most relevant. A gravel bike or CX bike would typically be a 110mm bolt pattern, with something like a 46/36 chainring setup. You can run down to a 33T ring on that bolt pattern and up to 53T rings are easily found.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This build looks like SRAM Red. I can't zoom in enough on the picture though to confirm for sure. That would open up alot of option for cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    S550 and S350 are both 68mm road cranks normally. 73mm is either a typo, or these cranks are being custom made for niner with a 73mm compatible spindle length.

Personally I'd prefer 68mm primarily due to the increase in the number of crank options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That pic is of a Red BB30 crank. So, most likely a typo.

But, some sram cranks (like the BB30 models used on the quarq power meters) have a longer spindle to let them work on 386 evo frames and with BSA30 BB cups on normal threaded frames as well. So, it's hard to say 100%. But, it's looking highly like a typo.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    My guess is that it's 73mm with the BioCentric 30 installed, 68 for a regular PF30. That would mean if you wanted to run SS you'd be looking at an MTB crankset but if you go PF30 then any road model should fit.

I might be wrong, but it seems logical. Niner can chime in.

JMH

recent MTB mania victim
    Oooo, this has me looking at Niners again! I already have a nice MTB for tracks and rough stuff... but I'd love a good-looking yet robust second bike that I could commute on; ride on the road when off-road is too muddy; do some light touring; and ride lots of gravel miles in a South Island summer. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

mtbr member
    Any word on ETA?

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why did they go aluminum? Salsa did the same. I always hear al is more rough on your back than steel or carbon. I'm not putting it down, just curious. I have a steel cx and mtb ss and love it. Great looking bike none the less.

mtbr member
    Placed my order at the LBS yesterday. They mentioned I should have it in less than a month.
    On sizing... I had my mind set on a 59cm (I am 6'1"), but the guys at the shop strongly encouraged me to go 56 based on the frame's geometry. (the good news is they will be getting a 56 and 59 at the same time and I will have my pick. But they are betting I will go with the 56).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    My guess is that it's 73mm with the BioCentric 30 installed, 68 for a regular PF30. That would mean if you wanted to run SS you'd be looking at an MTB crankset but if you go PF30 then any road model should fit.

I might be wrong, but it seems logical. Niner can chime in.

JMH
    Just got an email back from Niner & the BB shell is 73mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Another eMail from Niner. Its a typo & the BB shell is actual 68mm. Yeah.

Hi.

I have to apologize the BB shell width is 68 mm on that frame. There was a mistake on the web site that we are fixing.

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Almost pulled the trigger on a new warbird a few days ago but glad I spent more time goolging and found this! Anyone receive theirs yet?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast