Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Basically the same types of indications you are looking at it for. With kids and work, trail time has been declining. It'd be much easier to get in extra miles from my front door...plus around town stuff, some CX races, trailer pulling, greenway riding, etc. Basically an all-arounder.
    Get the RLT before the wheel set. So you can get more saddle time. Ride the crap out the wheel set currently on the Yeti and get it next year to freshen it up.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    Get the RLT before the wheel set. So you can get more saddle time. Ride the crap out the wheel set currently on the Yeti and get it next year to freshen it up.
    Seems reasonable...probably the direction i'll go. I plan to go test ride a 53 on Thursday and may just order at that time.

Any thoughts on immediate upgrades to the 2 star build? I was thinking carbon post, then brakes - probably would go with the TRP Spyres?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Seems reasonable...probably the direction i'll go. I plan to go test ride a 53 on Thursday and may just order at that time.

Any thoughts on immediate upgrades to the 2 star build? I was thinking carbon post, then brakes - probably would go with the TRP Spyres?
    Initially, just the seatpost to a Syntace P6 Hiflex since I took it off a hardtail I'm selling. Probably do some carbon bars too, then wheels next year. I'm thinking organic pads will help with stopping power on the BB5's. Hope my bike comes in soon!

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

Ok. Demo ride for the holiday weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm really pissed. Ordered a Black RLT9 50cm 2* on 5/25. Was told that it was to be delivered end of June. Now, I'm told it wasn't fulfilled this go around in June. Have not heard back when it should be fulfilled. I think it's time to get that refund and order the Crux EVO.

mtbr member

Niner RLT9

That sucks. When I picked up the demo bike yesterday I had the shop check and there are no 53cm completes around now either!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Post if you hear a date. I have yet to see or hear anything related to my 2* 59cm grey or mint complete either, aside from the email I recieved directly from niner. My plan was to use it this sumer to train for a long enduro race we have thats mostly gravel roads, the race is in 3 weeks so clearly that plan didnt work, I may start exporing other options as well.

mtbr member
    hi guys-

happy 4th.

i am old roadie that is thinking of getting back on the road again. i came across the niner rlt and ended-up here before i go off to watch some fireworks...

i could use some help/advice/thoughts on what i am thinking about. please be kind!

as mentioned over 30 years ago i was a hard-core roadie. lots of miles on some real nice steel frames and campy grupos. long time ago. lot has changed. with me and bikes.

i'm thinking of buying just the frame of rlt and build it up strictly for long, safe, and gentle but hard road rides. hope that makes sense?

i used to know all this stuff! i even used to take my road bike in to my math class and teach the kids how to figure-out gear ratios. that knowledge is long-gone. lol

this bike has caught my attention for the following; please feel free to comment/suggest/ignore;

1. sexy! i'm from LA what can i say. i really dig the look of the bike. shallow. yup.
    2. seems to have a more relaxed geometry? more upright than a true roadie? i have had back surgery and a hip replaced since all those centuries i rode in the 80's. is this a comfy, yet still responsive frame for the road? also, lots of hills where i live. good pavement, but hilly. will this frame climb well?
    3. all i know is steel. i'm hesitant to ride a bike made of something else. i am not light. 200lbs. how is this bike's material 'feel' different as compared to steel?
    4. as i said, i'd build it up as a pure road bike. or, as close as i could get to it. i say this, because i have read you can put true road wheels/tires on this frame. i like the idea of slightly wider road tires than i road on back in the day.
    6. disc brakes = sexy again. sorry. but, i also have ridden some high-end (friend's) mtn bikes with gorgeous and amazing stopping power disc brakes. i love the look, but i also like the idea of the stopping power.

i guess i am looking for the late middle-aged gentleman's porsche?

so, any thoughts/ideas as i mentioned earlier? you guys sound passionate and knowledgeable; reason why i signed-up here.

thanks for any replies.

john newbie/oldie
    Last edited by johnLA; 07-05-2014 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnLA View Post
    so, any thoughts/ideas as i mentioned earlier? you guys sound passionate and knowledgeable; reason why i signed-up here.

john newbie/oldie
    Hi John,

I am a big Niner fan and currently have two of their steel framed bikes with rigid carbon forks and one carbon bike with full suspension.

My personal view is the aluminium frames were a detour the bike industry took on the way between steel and carbon. The only reason to buy aluminium now is that it is relatively cheap and light. On a rigid bike (no suspension) aluminium tends to ride harshly.

I am sure this bike would be adequate for your needs and would handle your weight no problem (I am a little bit heavier than you). However my suggestion is that you also have a good look at other options in steel and titanium frames. Check out the Salsa Vaya and the Lynskey range for starters and maybe the Surly range as well.

Message me if you want more information on the other frames I have built up and ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnLA View Post
    hi guys-

happy 4th.

i am old roadie that is thinking of getting back on the road again. i came across the niner rlt and ended-up here before i go off to watch some fireworks...

i could use some help/advice/thoughts on what i am thinking about. please be kind!

as mentioned over 30 years ago i was a hard-core roadie. lots of miles on some real nice steel frames and campy grupos. long time ago. lot has changed. with me and bikes.

i'm thinking of buying just the frame of rlt and build it up strictly for long, safe, and gentle but hard road rides. hope that makes sense?

i used to know all this stuff! i even used to take my road bike in to my math class and teach the kids how to figure-out gear ratios. that knowledge is long-gone. lol

this bike has caught my attention for the following; please feel free to comment/suggest/ignore;

1. sexy! i'm from LA what can i say. i really dig the look of the bike. shallow. yup.
    2. seems to have a more relaxed geometry? more upright than a true roadie? i have had back surgery and a hip replaced since all those centuries i rode in the 80's. is this a comfy, yet still responsive frame for the road? also, lots of hills where i live. good pavement, but hilly. will this frame climb well?
    3. all i know is steel. i'm hesitant to ride a bike made of something else. i am not light. 200lbs. how is this bike's material different as compared to steel?
    4. as i said, i'd build it up as a pure road bike. or, as close as i could get to it. i say this, because i have read you can put true road wheels/tires on this frame. i like the idea of slightly wider road tires than i road on back in the day.
    6. disc breaks = sexy again. sorry. i have ridden some high-end (friend's) mtn bikes with gorgeous and amazing stopping power disc breaks. i love the look, but i also like the idea of the stopping power.

i guess i am looking for the late middle-aged gentleman's porsche?

thanks for any replies.

john newbie/oldie
    I think this bike has your name written all over it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, I think today's aluminum frames are going to ride as good or better then the steel frames that you rode way back then. Al frames have come a long ways.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Hi John,

I am a big Niner fan and currently have two of their steel framed bikes with rigid carbon forks and one carbon bike with full suspension.

My personal view is the aluminium frames were a detour the bike industry took on the way between steel and carbon. The only reason to buy aluminium now is that it is relatively cheap and light. On a rigid bike (no suspension) aluminium tends to ride harshly.

I am sure this bike would be adequate for your needs and would handle your weight no problem (I am a little bit heavier than you). However my suggestion is that you also have a good look at other options in steel and titanium frames. Check out the Salsa Vaya and the Lynskey range for starters and maybe the Surly range as well.

Message me if you want more information on the other frames I have built up and ridden.
    thanks so much for your reply ozynigma. really appreciate it.

i took a look at the bikes you suggested. still have a crush on the niner rlt. lol

i sure wish this was a steel bike. would be a slam-dunk for me. yes, the aluminum has me concerned. but, i am reading now that the tube sizes that niner uses on this bike 'soften' the harshness. i have no experience with aluminum. so, i have no reference point except for the previously mentioned years on sl/slx steel roadies.

i'll need to go test one out.

thanks again for your help.

john

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I think this bike has your name written all over it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, I think today's aluminum frames are going to ride as good or better then the steel frames that you rode way back then. Al frames have come a long ways.
    ha shawn! i think you are right. (i hope.) i really want to have this bike to be 'the one.'

i appreciate you mentioning about the aluminum. it's one of my biggest concerns about the frame. i'm confident i can build a pretty nice road bike around the frame.

thanks for your help.

john

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I plunked down the dough for the 4* Rlt build at my local shop in April. I've since put a bunch of mixed miles on it - including local dirt and local roads. Santa Cruz county roads aren't the best kept. My other two road steeds are my "beater" bianchi eros -- town bike, and Co-Motion Americano. Both the Americano (a heavy steel rig) and the RLT have great extended ride feel... Part of that may be the wider tires, but aside from gearing both are great on bumpy roads.

The RLT being 8+ lb lighter than the Americano is much more nimble, but handles harsh roads just as well as a steel beast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    First I need to declare that I'm the Niner Distributor for New Zealand so I do have a bias, but... When Niner announced the RLT I was maybe a little disappointed that it wasn't a steel bike but since then I've changed my mind. I've only had a little bit of ride time on the RLT but 2 of my sponsored riders have done a ton of miles on theirs and we all agree that it's got a really, really nice ride quality. It's stiff where it needs to be but combined with larger volume tires (why wouldn't you) and a decent carbon seat post (in my case RDO) it's a very comfortable bike for long days in the saddle. It's not steel but this is not the aluminium of old, it would appear that aluminium has come a long way in terms of ride quality and combined with relatively low weight and stiffness (in a good way) this bike has changed the way I think about the material.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My new ETA was mid-August for a complete 2* build so I ordered the frame set and will do a custom build which means I will use my crossmax slr 29's on it as part of my build. Will be a pretty sick bike when it's done. Now, time to shop for a 105 10spd group and some Thomson KFC bars...

Any recommendations on tubeless gravel grinding tires I should use? Looking for something that will roll fast on pavement, but still provide some good grip on dirt and is UST.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    WOW mid August for the 2* build to arrive??? I'll check with my shop Monday but unless they say its going to arrive this week I'll cancel that order, I've been looking at the Surly Straggler for a while and I know I can have that in my hands by Friday this week. Looks like Niner made that decision alot easier.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When I called about a few orders that were due in my shop niner said that the delay is with Shimano delivering kits. A couple of my customers will probably switch to custom builds because most of the sizes are available as frames
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So, I just heard that I'll be receiving a full 2* build this week instead of just the frameset. Don't know how things changed, but so stoked regardless. Will post pictures later this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ordered a size 62 frameset in beginning of may. No Shimano kit to go with it, so that can't be the the problem. I got my carbon wheelset custom built from china, but still haven't heard anything about eta on the frame. Anyone else recieved their 62 frame yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Got the RLT9 yesterday. 105 11speed is sweet - seems to shift smoother than the Ultegra 6700 on my road bike, but then again its new. Went on a 50 mile mixed surface ride this morning. Replaced saddle and post to a Phenom Comp, Syntace P6 Hiflex and added XTR pedals, Barfly Garmin mount, two Specialized side cages and Garmin cadence sensor - weighed 21.54lbs as described and in pictures. Will change out bar eventually to a Thomson KFC and probably get a lightweight tubeless wheelset next year. Very sweet ride. Was surprised how well the aluminum numbed the bumps on the gravel.

Only issue with bike is the rear brake rotor is not true. Don't know if it's hub or rotor so can't get the rear brakes dialed in. Will work on this week. Also, the mech BB5 brakes seem to have more than sufficient stopping power once seated. May swap out for Spyre's later.

All I can say is the latest 2* build is worth waiting for. The 105 11spd is butter and the bike is pretty sweet in stock form. If you can't wait, then get the frameset and build it how you want. Believe me either way you'll be grinning from ear to ear on the first ride....

Last edited by RCMTB; 07-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    ^ The black ones look so sweet!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

recent MTB mania victim

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    Got the RLT9 yesterday. 105 11speed is sweet.
    Wow. That bike looks so nice. Oh, and rides well too! I like it. Must remember to keep prompting my LBS to bug the local distributorů

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Waiting...waiting...waiting...
    ...for my 2* grey.

I was told early July, but now LBS says that they don't know. "Don't call us, we'll call you."
    Niner says new 105's are being "sorted" (whatever that means) and that they don't know either.

Waiting...chomping at the bit... waiting...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    Waiting...waiting...waiting...
    ...for my 2* grey.

I was told early July, but now LBS says that they don't know. "Don't call us, we'll call you."
    Niner says new 105's are being "sorted" (whatever that means) and that they don't know either.

Waiting...chomping at the bit... waiting...
    The RLT is definitely worth the wait if you have the patience. I'm just so glad Niner was able to deliver the complete bike rather than just the frame set. The stock wheels are surprisingly pretty solid with the Sammy Slicks and the BB5 brakes are pretty good once you dial them in. This bike will probably get the most use now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for that RCMTB!
    I don't know about patience, but at this point I'm invested.
    That bike of yours is really good-looking, makes me want to ride mine!

I'm having my LBS upgrade the BB5's to 7's and changing to white bar tape. I was considering red bar tape, to go with the accents, but that may be a bit too much.
    Otherwise, I'm sticking with the stock build-out. I'm psyched for the x11 105's!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast