Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My 2016 RLT

It's also my commuter and roadie. I've got a set of Stan's alpha 340 with Hutchinson tubeless 28s and a 11-32 cassette.

Getting some chatter from the front TRP hyrd, seems that this is due to the stock pads.

The Specialized Renegade 1.8 fit well, and the 11-36 cassette paired with the 50-34 crankset provides plenty of range.

Struggling to find the time to get out on gravel, managed to squeeze in a few muddy hours on the weekend.

I like turtles
    ^^^Nice! Really wish my CruX could fit that tire in the back..front is no issue.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mapomatic View Post
    My 2016 RLT

I'd love to see your spec list. I've fallen in love with the orange/white niner but you really make this one look great, especially with the thick yellow bar tape.

Also, what are you censoring on your shifters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice pick up on the shifters. I live in Sydney Australia, where we have some pretty draconian bike laws and cops willing to enforce them. Helmets with Australian standards, not ISO, bell and reflectors front and rear are all legal requirements. This bike is my commuter, so I've stuck on some 3M reflective tape on the shifters and on the back of the seat. Probably not enough to act as reflectors, but legally enough to get me out of a ticket. I ride with lights dusk and dawn so I figure reflectors donít add much value.

2016 Niner RLT 53cm
    Wheels: Stans Iron Cross on Hope Pro2 Evo with Specialized Renegade 1.8s tubeless
    Stans Alpha 340s with Hutchinson Sector 28s tubeless
    Drivetrain:
    105 5700 10 speed brifters
    Ultegra 6700 50/34 chainset
    Ultegra 6700 FD
    XTR 970 9 speed long cage rear derailleur
    XT 11-32 on the Alphas
    SRAM 1070 11-36 on the Iron Cross
    XT 10 speed chain
    Praxis BB
    Brakes: TRP Hy/rd cable actuated hydraulic brakes
    Cockpit: Cinelli Neomorphe carbon handlebars
    Thomson 100m stem
    Thomson setback seatpost
    Fizik Pave CX Saddle
    Fizik Performance Handlebar Tape

The bar tape is great, super thick and comfy. The shifting is great, though Iíd like to go something tighter spaced for the road. I had a couple of new 11-32 XT cassettes lying around and it seems a waste to not use them. Iíll move to a 11-28 or 11-25 once the cassettes are cactus. Iím 177cm tall and the 53 seemed a better fit than the 56 recommended by Niner. Having said that, I only ever got a leg over the 56 in store, not on a test ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah, agree on the bar tape - adding that yellow makes a HuGE difference. Good job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Building up a Rival 1, 10-42 dirty white/orange right now. Should have everything this week. Planning on using some Easton ARC 24 wheels from my Tallboy with a set of Maxxis Ramblers 40c tubeless for the short term. Planning on a set of
    Pacenti SL25's and an undetermined hub soon.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
    2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Cannondale CAAD12
    2016 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bought mine in July 2014. I'm 5-11, and mine's 56cm. Only modifications are bigger tires. Spec. Renegades look like a good next option.

Niner RLT9-img_20151128_151340.jpg
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Niner RLT 9
    Surly ICT Ops

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Big tires

Hey guys,
    I make an experiment few days ago, install a 29r tires on my stan grails, the tire was Vee rubber mission 120 tpi 29x2. ( get for 5$ each at Pricepoint)
    The front tire fit fine, no clearance issues. have few millimeters on each side.
    The rear, rub at the bottom side of the seatstay (i guess that is the name), looks like the wheel or the tire are not really true, only touch one portion when u rotate the tire ( think about remove some knobs and see if the clearance improve, anyway they r cheap tires)
    do u guys think the stan grail can handler a 29r tires or I can have some issue on the long run, like tire feel off the rim or something like that
    i have a set of carbon 29 wheels 25 mm so i will test that option later.
    BTW Bike Looks BadAss/.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_20160719_202151.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_20160719_202202.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_20160719_201200.jpg  

Niner RLT9-img_20160719_202221.jpg  

mtbr member

RLT 9 Steel size XL

Niner RLT9-niner-rlt9-steel.jpg

This bike gets heavier and more unstoppable for my 50 mile commute. I finally relented and went with Continental 42c Touring Plus tires front and rear, a little cheaper than Schwalbe Marathon Plus, same super-thick glass shard protection and reflective strip.

mtbr member
    I just finished with the final adjustments of the build tonight. Just enough light left in the day to take a quick picture, and then get a short ride.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    I just finished with the final adjustments of the build tonight. Just enough light left in the day to take a quick picture, and then get a short ride.

Looks great! Can you share your build specs?

How long did it take to get your frame? I placed an order on July 5th, and I'm still waiting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVLthumper View Post
    Looks great! Can you share your build specs?

How long did it take to get your frame? I placed an order on July 5th, and I'm still waiting.
    The build is a Niner RLT Steel frame, with full Shimano Ultegra drive train, with hydro disc brakes. Also, I used a Wolf Tooth Roadlink which let me go with an old guy, hill climbing friendly 11-36 cassette matched to my 50/34 compact crank. Small parts are Salsa Cowbell 2 bars, Raceface Next carbon seatpost, Prologo Nago Evo saddle, Niner RDO stem, and a Praxis Works PF conversion bottom bracket. The wheelset were built by November Bicycles with Pancenti SL-25 rims, White Industries CLD hubs and Sapim Laser/D-Light spokes. Tires are Maxxis 40c Ramblers

My frame only took a week to get from a Local Niner dealer. However, my steel frame in the grey/orange size 56 was not available. I contacted Niner directly and they told me they had no time frame for if/when it would be available. Then they said there were a few blem units available in that color/size. The blem is that the the bottom tube was welded in a slightly turned position which caused the bottle mounting screws to be off center. I was expecting it to be much worse looking, but unless you know it is there, you would never know. I just pushed slightly on the bottle cage as I mounted it, and it looks perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    The build is a Niner RLT Steel frame, with full Shimano Ultegra drive train, with hydro disc brakes. Also, I used a Wolf Tooth Roadlink which let me go with an old guy, hill climbing friendly 11-36 cassette matched to my 50/34 compact crank. Small parts are Salsa Cowbell 2 bars, Raceface Next carbon seatpost, Prologo Nago Evo saddle, Niner RDO stem, and a Praxis Works PF conversion bottom bracket. The wheelset were built by November Bicycles with Pancenti SL-25 rims, White Industries CLD hubs and Sapim Laser/D-Light spokes. Tires are Maxxis 40c Ramblers

My frame only took a week to get from a Local Niner dealer. However, my steel frame in the grey/orange size 56 was not available. I contacted Niner directly and they told me they had no time frame for if/when it would be available. Then they said there were a few blem units available in that color/size. The blem is that the the bottom tube was welded in a slightly turned position which caused the bottle mounting screws to be off center. I was expecting it to be much worse looking, but unless you know it is there, you would never know. I just pushed slightly on the bottle cage as I mounted it, and it looks perfect.
    Nice build! Thanks for the details. I'm going to do a SRAM 1x11 Force build with a 10-42 cassette and hydro brakes. I've got a set of Easton Arc 24 and Ramblers ready to go. I opted for Zipp bars, stem and seatpost. Still trying to decide on a saddle. I'm having a tough time deciding between a road, mountain or something like a Brooks saddle. Still waiting on my 62cm frame though....

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
    2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Cannondale CAAD12
    2016 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Tubeless Stock Wheels

The stock Niner alloy wheels that came with the bike (2-star) appear to be tubeless. It looks like they already have rim tape on them. I planned on setting these up with tubeless Clement MSO 36s. Does anyone have any experience with this? I saw people say they were able to do it with rim tape but these don't look like you need rim tape. Niner RLT9-img_0597.jpgNiner RLT9-img_0595.jpg

Also, for the size question, I am 5'10" and went with the 56 and am very happy. The 53 would have definitely been too small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gflex View Post
    The stock Niner alloy wheels that came with the bike (2-star) appear to be tubeless. It looks like they already have rim tape on them. I planned on setting these up with tubeless Clement MSO 36s. Does anyone have any experience with this? I saw people say they were able to do it with rim tape but these don't look like you need rim tape.

Also, for the size question, I am 5'10" and went with the 56 and am very happy. The 53 would have definitely been too small.
    I had the same question and emailed Niner. Below is their response regarding the CX alloy wheels they spec on the RLT:

Thank you for contacting us. Our Niner Alloy CX wheels are not designed as tubeless ready. If you want to try a tubeless conversion, we recommend using the Stan's tubeless conversion kit that includes the rubber rim strip.

Thank you,

The Niner Bikes Team

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had the same question and emailed Niner. Below is their response regarding the CX alloy wheels they spec on the RLT:

Thank you for contacting us. Our Niner Alloy CX wheels are not designed as tubeless ready. If you want to try a tubeless conversion, we recommend using the Stan's tubeless conversion kit that includes the rubber rim strip.

Thank you,

The Niner Bikes Team
    Thats too bad. Did you end up trying to set them up tubeless with or without the tape?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I actually sent them that email when I was trying to decide between the 3 and 4 star builds. I actually ended up purchasing a frame and plan on doing a Force 1 build, so I will be using a set of Easton ARC24's that I had laying around from a Santa Cruz Tallboy purchase last year. Sorry I can't be of more help!

I'd probably just get some Stans Yellow Tape or similar and give it a few wraps and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Thats too bad. Did you end up trying to set them up tubeless with or without the tape?
    I used gorilla tape and it worked great. The rims strip on the bike will not work

I like turtles
    ^^^The shop that my buddy bought his RLT from immediately re-laced the hubs to some Belgian Hed's that were TLR for this v. reason - they wouldn't set up the stockers "ghetto". I am sure with some Gorilla tape and valve stems they will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^The shop that my buddy bought his RLT from immediately re-laced the hubs to some Belgian Hed's that were TLR for this v. reason - they wouldn't set up the stockers "ghetto". I am sure with some Gorilla tape and valve stems they will work just fine.
    That's an interesting idea. $150 for HED Belgian rims and use stock hubs (and spokes?).

I like turtles
    That's an interesting idea. $150 for HED Belgian rims and use stock hubs (and spokes?).
    Yep, they just re-used the spokes. He mounted up Specy Renegade 1.8s tubeless. Sweet setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    He mounted up Specy Renegade 1.8s tubeless. Sweet setup.

wat?

he mounted 1.8s on his RLT9? Seriously? He had clearance for 46mm tires?
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

I like turtles
    Yep. On the aluminum frame model.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    I set mine up tubeless with two layers of stans tape, sammy slicks, and orange seal. It took a bit of work and lots of soap to get the bead set, but they have held for 500 miles.

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    Here is my 2 star 62cm with salsa cowbell bars, tubeless sammy slicks. I recently purchased another set of wheel with 25c contis for road use. Very versatile bike, my favorite skinny tired bike I have ever owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RLT9-img_1118.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Rlt Aluminium vs Steel

Hello guys.
    I've read all the posts so far, and seems like a Niner is a great bike.
    I'm considering one and would like an advice of those who owns it already.

I can't decide between steel (full stock) vs aluminum frame and optional carbon seat post.

I plan to use this bike as a commuter through the week and on the weekend I want to do it all. Honestly I don't know yet what will it be, will it be road or the off road, gravel, trips and how much.

I don't have a huge budget so aluminum frame would be better choice from this point of view. I like speed and I live in the hilly area (I'll try to stay away from the hills as much as I can, it's just not my peace of pie). I live near the ocean so steel frame corrosion is a real concern of mine.

I'm 5.9/ 1.75m and 200ls/ 90kg.

What is your take?
    How stiff/ bad is the aluminum frame?
    How flexible/ bad is the steel frame for the big guys, when sprinting?
    What would be a better long term investment in my case?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by LeIsr; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I have the AL RLT, I put 40C Nanos and that helped a lot with any harshness or vibration from the aluminum. Definitely a smoother ride than the stock tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thank you for your comment.

May I ask what is your weight?
    Did you have any fatigue or ache riding an aluminum frame in stock configuration?
    Now with a Nanos tires any fatigue or ache has been gone?
    For how long can you comfortably ride an aluminum frame off road?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeIsr View Post
    Thank you for your comment.

May I ask what is your weight?
    Did you have any fatigue or ache riding an aluminum frame in stock configuration?
    Now with a Nanos tires any fatigue or ache has been gone?
    For how long can you comfortably ride an aluminum frame off road?

Thank you.
    Oops, logged in with a different account

The RLT is my first drop bar bike, so I don't have a lot or any comparisons

I'm about 195 lbs. I found the stock tires to be somewhat harsh compared to the Nanos. I did some off road, rooty rides with the stock tires and it was unbearable. With the nanos it was much better, the volume and lower pressure (30psi) made a huge difference and surprisingly I don't feel like I lost any speed on the road when I pump them up to 55psi.

My time riding is usually limited by how long my knee will hold up and not how harsh the bike feels, I can ride the same amount of time on the RLT as I do on my SS rigid or FS fat bike. So its hard to say how long I can comfortably ride the AL RLT off road. I think if money allowed, I would have gone with steel, I do like how a steel mtb rides, but I don't feel like I made a bad choice with AL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thank you.

I'm also thinking about riding in similar terrains like you have posted.
    Did you have any issues with pedal clearance, getting over roots and such?

Would you please rate how comfortable is it to ride the bike with your current setup from 1 to 10 where 10 is the best?
    All in all are you happy with the Niner? Would you buy it again?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeIsr View Post
    Thank you.

I'm also thinking about riding in similar terrains like you have posted.
    Did you have any issues with pedal clearance, getting over roots and such?

Would you please rate how comfortable is it to ride the bike with your current setup from 1 to 10 where 10 is the best?
    All in all are you happy with the Niner? Would you buy it again?

Thank you.
    Haven't had any issues with pedal clearance.

Its difficult for me to rate how comfortable it is. it is definitely more comfortable with the nanos compared to the stock, but would a steel bike be even better, I can't say. Would a smaller frame with more seat post, to allow more post flex be better? It might be. I run my seat kinda low because of my knee.

On rooty trails, On my FS fatty, I just monster truck over the roots, barely notice them. On my SS rigid, I try to hop or glide over them. On the RLT I try to go around them. So my only comparison is those. Its just not as comfortable as a mtn bike on these trails, but I don't feel beat up on the RLT unless I get on really rooty, rocky trails and at that point, I worried about bending rims or pinch flats before I went tubeless

The only issue I have had with the bike was it fell over twice on grass and the derailleur hanger bent slightly. Niner said they had issues with them bending and designed a new one which is thicker. Dealing with Niner on the phone has always been great, I have always been able to get someone on the phone that could answer my questions.

Would I buy again? Interesting question, given the money I wanted to spend at the time on a bike style that I had never ridden before. Yes Definitely. But now that I know I like the bike, the type of riding and the company. I might opt of the steel just to try something different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi all,
    Glad to have found this thread. I really enjoyed reading it!
    My story is I signed up for the d2r2 ride (on Aug 20) a year ago. I have a vintage road bike (standard crankset) and mtb - neither of which are ideal for this ride with relentless climbing.
    Knew I wanted a gravel/adventure bike, so I actually got a pro bike fit (splurged) last year, and one of the bikes suggested to me was the RLT 9. Of course, I waited to the last minute to order this bike.

Right now, my 47 cm RLT 9 Steel, 3* build is at the shop! Got the Frame Saver application done. I was going to watch the build tomorrow, but concerned about the climbing I have to do for d2r2 and 3 months injury-free (also thinking bikepacking), I decided to go low gears. I'm surprised no one has really discussed this, although I read in some bikepacking reviews the need for lower gears.

The stock bike is 46/36 and 11-32t, Rival 22 build. I was told by the Niner rep that I could get the Rival 1 derailleur and a larger cassette. Decided to go long cage and 10-42t. SRAM says the Rival 1 derailleur is only compatible with the 1x system, but the Niner rep said it was fine with Rival 22. I figure this is no different than what people have been do to bikes, which is throw mtb derailleurs and cassettes on the back. I don't have any wrenching experience, except the basics. Researching a new bike sure involves a lot of learning.

Anyway, hope to get the parts soon and get to watch the build. Nice reading about some of the pitfalls with assembling the bike, so I get to ask the mechanic about those issues.

Only other thing changing for now is the saddle. Tires come tubeless now. Have some Shimano pedals, but wouldn't mind platforms (but won't spend more at this point.)
    After I shred the stock tires, will put 28mm road tires on the stock wheel; 2nd wheelset - better wheels and put 40/42mm tires on. One more thing is my fit guy specified 165mm cranks instead of the stock 170mm. Not going to follow this rec.
    Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by originalwhiney View Post
    Hi all,
    Glad to have found this thread. I really enjoyed reading it!
    My story is I signed up for the d2r2 ride (on Aug 20) a year ago. I have a vintage road bike (standard crankset) and mtb - neither of which are ideal for this ride with relentless climbing.
    Knew I wanted a gravel/adventure bike, so I actually got a pro bike fit (splurged) last year, and one of the bikes suggested to me was the RLT 9. Of course, I waited to the last minute to order this bike.

Right now, my 47 cm RLT 9 Steel, 3* build is at the shop! Got the Frame Saver application done. I was going to watch the build tomorrow, but concerned about the climbing I have to do for d2r2 and 3 months injury-free (also thinking bikepacking), I decided to go low gears. I'm surprised no one has really discussed this, although I read in some bikepacking reviews the need for lower gears.

The stock bike is 46/36 and 11-32t, Rival 22 build. I was told by the Niner rep that I could get the Rival 1 derailleur and a larger cassette. Decided to go long cage and 10-42t. SRAM says the Rival 1 derailleur is only compatible with the 1x system, but the Niner rep said it was fine with Rival 22. I figure this is no different than what people have been do to bikes, which is throw mtb derailleurs and cassettes on the back. I don't have any wrenching experience, except the basics. Researching a new bike sure involves a lot of learning.

Anyway, hope to get the parts soon and get to watch the build. Nice reading about some of the pitfalls with assembling the bike, so I get to ask the mechanic about those issues.

Only other thing changing for now is the saddle. Tires come tubeless now. Have some Shimano pedals, but wouldn't mind platforms (but won't spend more at this point.)
    After I shred the stock tires, will put 28mm road tires on the stock wheel; 2nd wheelset - better wheels and put 40/42mm tires on. One more thing is my fit guy specified 165mm cranks instead of the stock 170mm. Not going to follow this rec.
    Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
    Hello.
    Did it cost you anything extra for the Frame Saver to be applied?
    Did they remove the BB (which are press fit) and sprayed it there too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    ^Yes, it cost me $75 more for labor.
    The RLT9 comes partially assembled, so the shop would have to disassemble to apply the Frame Saver.
    Not sure if they remove the BB, but I would assume so. Will ask.
    I think you can based on some earlier posts about how the BB needs to be squared to the frame (?).
    -----
    Also, I think I have to buy an XD driver to install the 10-42t, so about to purchase the SRAM XD Freehub Driver Body...hope I'm buying the right part...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Niner RLT9-img_3504_2.jpgHi all,
    Just finished. Still pending to decide the stem (100 mm or 80 mm) and then cut the steerer tube. This is my first drop bar bicycle, so I expect to need some time to get used to the riding position. Bought the frame and added the rest.

I like turtles
    ^^^Stem looks long to me for the size of the bike (out of proportion). What frame size is that?

mtbr member
    Just finished building up my 53cm frame. Got it set up 1x10, pulled the wheels, crank and cassette of my 29r.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by reactiontime89 View Post
    Guys, I want to convert my RLT9 Steel 3 Star Rival Bike to 1X. Does anybody know if I can run an XD driver body on the stock rear hub? Niner didn't know when I emailed support, and said Formula makes the hubs for them. I was unable to get any response from anyone at formula. I'd really like to avoid buying a new wheel if possible.

• Does someone make an XD driver that'll fit my rear hub?
    • I should be able to just run a single ring on my existing rival crank right?

Attachment 1052043
    Hi,
    Did you end up buying a new wheel (set)?

I got the Rival 1 rear derailleur, then 10-42T, realized needed XD driver, so got that and then also likely only compatible with 1x, so decided to go 38T. Yes, read that the Rival22 has a removable spider so can just buy the 1x chainring.

Now, am told the stock hub doesn't work with the XD driver body (which comes with a freehub). So will buy another wheel (set).

I suppose the next update should be gearing options for the RLT 9 Steel.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Just finished building up my 53cm frame. Got it set up 1x10, pulled the wheels, crank and cassette of my 29r.
    I can't stop looking at this, especially since I have some spare parts around, including the same wheel set.

How tall are you? I've been eyeing RLT frames and think I'd be a 53 also. ( I'm 5'7 and ride medium or small 29ers depending on reach, but have never had anything with drops other than trying to put drops on an older 29er SS frame )

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" also. I debated between the 50 and 53 and ultimately decided to go with the longer TT vs better stand over. It feels like a great fit with the 80mm stem and Origin 8 Gary Sweep bars. BTW Jenson has these frames on sale for $699.

loud hubs save lives

Niner RLT9

Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I'm 5'7" also. I debated between the 50 and 53 and ultimately decided to go with the longer TT vs better stand over. It feels like a great fit with the 80mm stem and Origin 8 Gary Sweep bars. BTW Jenson has these frames on sale for $699.
    Definitely saw that, thanks.

What was the BB size? Jenson and CC both list 73mm PF30, but the niner sites lists 68mm. Trying to take inventory of what I have vs what I'd need. I have a rival crank in the parts bin that I haven't used in years

Edit: niner responded that it's 68mm and stated that they measured one to be sure

mtbr member
    Ya, I measured 68. I used a PF30 to GXP adaptor so I could use the XX1 crank I had. You should get a better chainline with the Rival crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Finally got my 62cm RLT built up. Force 1, 10-42, Zipp Service Course SL stem, bars and seat post, Fizik Antares, Easton ARC24 with tubeless Ramblers, Lizard Skin bar tape, and XT pedals.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
    2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Cannondale CAAD12
    2016 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Considering this frame for a single speed build. Anyone doing the same with the Niner EBB?
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I had my RLT weighed after building it up. Came in at 22.46 lbs. Not too bad for a 62cm bike!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Cannondale CAAD12
    2016 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had my RLT weighed after building it up. Came in at 22.46 lbs. Not too bad for a 62cm bike!

Alloy or steel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It's an alloy orange and white one shown in the photos a few posts up.

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Cannondale CAAD12
    2016 Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's an alloy orange and white one shown in the photos a few posts up.
    ah ok, I gotta admit, I would rather have the steel, but LOVE that colorscheme. I dig the 'understated' look and to me that just looks dedd sexay :P
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    ah ok, I gotta admit, I would rather have the steel, but LOVE that colorscheme. I dig the 'understated' look and to me that just looks dedd sexay :P
    I went back and forth with the steel/alloy decision for a while. In the end, I just can't tell the difference between steel and modern alloy when riding. My riding is typically less than 75 miles, so I just don't ever reach the point where vibrations or road chatter make a difference to me. Thicker bar tape and low pressure higher volume tires are what do it for me. Plus, I really dig the orange/white scheme. Good luck with whatever version you get!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

This looks really sharp and I like your commitment to the aesthetics here! [edit - i ogled the pictures and didn't see the build specs]. Let us know how it rides, and how easily the white cleans up!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast