mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Niner RIP9 Pinion?

Now I'm probably in a minority (at the moment) here when it comes to alternative gear systems. Having toyed with Alfine and Rohloff, I've been following the development of the Pinion gearbox with eager anticipation for the last 18 months and now it is in production with Nicolai (at least) delivering pre-ordered models.

I'm waiting to see feedback on this system but if it's as good as expected I shall be very tempted to move away from Niner, however if there's enough interest, you never know, Niner might just consider developing a frame for it!!

Anyone else interested?

If you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, have a look here;

PINION / P1.18 / DRIVE TECHNOLOGY

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    Thanks for posting this. I saw some press on this and I think this is where manuf need to spend the R&D money. I love Niner bikes, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike with internal gears if the specs and geo are right. Niner could once again make waves and be ahead of everyone else if they designed frames with this gearbox.

lamer
    I was really excited reading through their catalog, but the weight is a little scary at first. 7 lbs including the gearbox, crankset, and shifter. I wonder how does that compare to a regular crankset, front and rear derailleurs, sprocket, and shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I was really excited reading through their catalog, but the weight is a little scary at first. 7 lbs including the gearbox, crankset, and shifter. I wonder how does that compare to a regular crankset, front and rear derailleurs, sprocket, and shifters.
    It was in amongst the reading, its about 1kg (2.2 lbs) heavier than a 3x9 setup but the weight is low, centred and sprung.

I tried running a Alfine 8 on my commuter and I hated the extra weight on the back axle. So I think they have a valid point about centrally mounting the gearbox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    @ Throttlemire - I agree

@ Llamma - I should probably be more concerned about weight than I am but at 6'4" and 217 lbs riding a XL RIP with all the extras there's already alot too haul around.

Anyway, I digress, looking at that Nicolai thread it seems the Helius AM (26ers) are coming in at 32-33 lbs (I've seen one quoted at 29 lbs but can't find the info now), doesn't seem to bad to me but I don't know what the norm is for a 160mm AM bike.

Elsewhere in that thread, Nicolai (according to Wilhelm6) are quoting less than a kg (2.2 lbs) weight penalty over a high end 3x9.

For me, if the system works, then the 40,000 mile warranty, weight in the middle, low and sprung, a full range of gears without a derailleur (particularly the front one), no setting of the shifter to match the selector and being able to shift whilst stationary would be enough.

Should probably mention cost too. Ignoring the (high) cost of the Nicolai frame, they are quoting (on their website) 887 more for the Pinion frame, including the gearbox and shifter over a standard frame. In the UK a Rohloff hub will set you back 1050 and you still need a BB and crank set. When SRAM XX1 is released it will cost 1186 (yes I know it's for weight weenies but it's another way of getting a better range of gears with only one shifter) so this Pinion is actually very keenly priced.

EDIT: Sorry, I was already writing this when Ozynigma replied.
    Last edited by Stu McGroo; 08-27-2012 at 04:22 PM.