Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RDO fork with Roval control sl question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  occory 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am in the process of building a large Air 9 RDO with RDO front fork and had planned on using the Roval Control SL wheels until I saw in the Niner Tech encyclopedia on page 61 it says:
"Specialized/Roval wheels with proprietary oversized axle endcaps do not fit Niner Carbon Fork or RDO Fork dropouts"

What exactly is the issue? Can the hubs be modified to work with the RDO fork?

#2 ·
I had the same issue. Not a problem.

Have a med Air9 RDO with RDO 15mm fork. Wanted to share the wheels from my 2011 SW Epic 29er with Roval Control SL 29 142+ wheels.

I ordered the front 15mm end caps from Spec so the front is easy. Go from Spec OS28 9mm end caps to 15mm is a quick change. (The Niner quote only mentions the OS28 mm end caps as the problem, not the wheels.)

The rear is a problem for my intent. As the Epic is a 142+ rear, the end caps can't be shortened to a 135 on the cassette side. At least Spec doesn't have a kit for that change.

However . . . .
If you ordered the wheels from Spec as "Roval Control SL 29", these will work.
In fact, you get 3 front and 2 rear axle end cap sets to fit any frame.

Specialized Bicycle Components

You are good to go!

#3 ·
Regarding the rear carbon Roval 142+ rear hubs that are the "take off's" from the s-work bikes. I have head of someone on this forum commenting on the ability to install the 135 end caps available through specialized dealers to get the rear hub spacing down to 137mm. He did mention machining 1mm of the drive side end cap and another 1mm of the hanger, but goes on to say that it did not even appear to be necessary. Anyone else try getting this wheels on the RDO frame? what has been your experience?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.